Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8804 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Would you have preferred Christina Hendricks to play Wonder Woman over Gal Gadot

• 151 results
    Avatar image for darkdetective27
    darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 10

Poll Would you have preferred Christina Hendricks to play Wonder Woman over Gal Gadot (85 votes)

Yes, she would have been great. 14%
    No, Gadot is much better suited to play Wonder Woman. 66%
    Meh neither that great and/or I just want to see Wonder Woman. 20%

Apparently Nicholas Winding (Drive) was in early talks to direct Wonder Woman. However, he only wanted to do the film if Christina Hendricks was in the role feeling she was the perfect fit. I'm curious what all you think about her playing the role or do you feel Gal Gadot is the better choice. Its an understatement to say that before BvS release that many fans were displeased with the choice of Gadot. Though now it seems many have changed their tune.

No Caption Provided

Or

No Caption Provided

Which would have preferred playing one of the most famous superheroes?

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/wonder_woman/nicolas-winding-refn-met-with-wb-about-directing-wonder-woman-but-a143013

• 
    Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By Archizooom

@csg_cl said:

@archizooom: she was nominated for 6 Emmy Awards ... I'd say that's a pretty strong showing of acting ability ... As for fake ginger locks ... Who really cares? It's not like every blonde in Hollywood is a natural.

So was January Jones and Jennifer Lopez, Lady Gaga won an Emmy for her role in American Horror Story, can you believe it. The fact that Christina Hendricks racked up more nominations than Elisabeth Moss a.k.a Peggy, puzzles me. I read about the Emmys on Salon and what I learned was that the Emmys typically favor antihero dramas starring white middle-aged men, like Mad Men, the so called "prestige tv", which is just one of many reasons the Emmys and award shows are losing viewership and credibility across the board. I stand by my opinion that Christina Hendricks is a run-of-the-mill actress which is why her career didn't really take off post Mad Men. More importantly, she's incompatible with Artemis personality-wise, like chalk and cheese, and apart from her fake ginger hair she doesn't even look like her. And with all due respect, you can't possibly praise Gal Gadot and slam Ronda Rousey's acting talents in the same breath, I mean think csg_cl, why can't you think of a better option for Wonder Woman…because you're not searching for talent, you've narrowed your options to a certain look

RayRay1127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102  Edited By RayRay1127

@scorpio_cassadine:

And that's where our opinions differ. I feel that the "stars and stripes" had their time, but I prefer a more modern worldly, less "American" iconography heavy Wonder Woman. Probably about 5 years back I stopped putting stars on her outfit when I drew her unless someone requested a more classic, or (shudders) new 52 look. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE classic Wondy very much. But my sensibilities changed drastically as I entered the waning years of my 30s.

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
    SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rayray1127: It's hard for me to chuck 60 years worth of tradition just because some people's tastes have changed. Possibly temporarily (if another major terrorist attack happens on U.S. soil watch how fast stars and stripes will come back into fashion, it'll be the 90's patriotic Tommy Hilfiger era all over again).

And personally, I liked the New 52 costume (even the hated choker and armlet, they replaced the earrings) and thought it was a slick update. Though I never quite got used to the blue/black boots, I'll miss that costume now that it's gone. Which is weird because I despised the two star shorts when Byrne first drew them, but adding the "hidden" ones to the corset made it fire.

RayRay1127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scorpio_cassadine:

It's possible you are right, and like I said, I do love the classic look. But for me personally, I don't think ANYTHING could ever make me "patriotic". I like America, I like living here, but I also look at the system with a fair ammount of cynicism. And I think the government is a sad joke and needs a total overhaul, but that's really up to US and people are too willing to be complacent about keeping things the same. Change is growth.

Anyhoo, I'm interested to know what other WW characters you guys think Christina could play. I suggested Aphrodite or even Hera.... Maybe even Gaea? What do you all think?

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scorpio_cassadine:

It's possible you are right, and like I said, I do love the classic look. But for me personally, I don't think ANYTHING could ever make me "patriotic". I like America, I like living here, but I also look at the system with a fair ammount of cynicism. And I think the government is a sad joke and needs a total overhaul, but that's really up to US and people are too willing to be complacent about keeping things the same. Change is growth.

Anyhoo, I'm interested to know what other WW characters you guys think Christina could play. I suggested Aphrodite or even Hera.... Maybe even Gaea? What do you all think?

I'm a big Black man with waist length dreads, I can get shot by the cops for littering. I'm well aware of how f-ed up Amerikkka is. Still it's my country and I love it despite it's unfairness.

But yeah, I could easily see Christina Hendrix as Hera or the goddess of love.

RayRay1127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scorpio_cassadine:

Yea, I feel ya partner, I'm a gay Latino living in AZ! NOT the friendliest environment! :D

Btw, just dawned on me, I could totally see Christina as Etta Candy, too. I love that Lucy Davis is cast as the character, but I could see Ms. Hendricks as a great-granddaughter who's also a namesake... Her name could be Etta Candy Caine! (Totally jkng about the name!)

Klaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@klaus: my comment was meant in jest. No need to speak for other users when you aren't involved in the convo. Ok kiddo?

Saying it once may have been "in jest", but then continuing on with it in another comment shows it wasn't. And the fun part about the internet is that when you engage in a conversation with someone on a public forum, anyone and everyone has the right to respond. And its simple words you use that are demeaning. For example, adding an "ok kiddo" is unnecessary as adding that means you are talking down to me, while the truth is that I'm an equal capable of engaging in a discussion.

Avatar image for darkdetective27
    darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

@rayray1127: Christina Hendricks as Etta Candy is certainly an inspired choice. I can kind of see it working.

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#109  Edited By Saint_Sophie

@rayray1127 said:

Thank you both! I tried to get the whole "difference of opinion is ok" accross, and you see the response above. Lol! It's ok, I remain ever the optimist.

As for making WW more like the comics and more "american" thank FSM they DIDN'T go that way! Patriotism is dangerous, she's NOT American, and what's REALLY funny is that there are STILL those that think it's still TOO American looking. Lol! Me, I'm no millennial, been a fan since Lynda Carter, but I still think we need to quit with the whole "AMERICA! F*** YEAH!" attitude. Blind patriotism is a negative, not a positive. Look it up!

But WW operates a lot in USA and after all, didn't she kind of adopt USA as her second home? Besides WW was never F yeah it's the USA, Go USA everyone else sucks. And most people I know aren't like that as well. Besides I don't think Patriotism is dangerous, otherwise Empires and the likes would be still be around today..

Kind of ot there. Also, I'm still kind of disappointed that Gadot's a fashion model yet can't even nail poses right. Especially her facial expressions, that magazine cover looks like she tried a resting b!tch face or just got pissed 5 minutes before shooting. She needs lessons from Naomi Campbell or Linda Evangelista on how to pose and use facial expressions cause almost everything I've seen her in, from posters and to an extent her acting that's shes showed, her facial expressions and sometimes body language don't wow me or almost look identical, more so facial expressions.

But looking at both her acting and modelling portfolio both are kind of lacking.. so I guess we'll have to wait and see.

xoxo, -Saint Sophie

RayRay1127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_sophie:

It is true she USED to operate mainly in the US but one of the very few things I liked about Azz's reboot was putting that faze behind her. WW is at her best operating at a wider, more worldly view, imho.

And not gonna comment on your opinions about Gal cause mine are totally opposite and there's no point in arguing about those sorts of things. I respect your opinion for what it is and because I respect EVERYONE until they give me reason not to.

Just wondering, who would YOU rather have had in the part?

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rayray1127: Christina Hendricks as Etta Candy is certainly an inspired choice. I can kind of see it working.

I'd love her as Etta Candy! She's a much better choice than Lucy Davis in a fat suit and prosthetic double chin that we're currently getting.

I didn't want to say this on RayRay's thread and possibly derail it, but these are the same producers that gave Wonder Woman a new costume, a new age, set her origin in World War 1 instead of World War 2 and cast a 43 year old regular sized woman from England to play a rotund college student from Texas. They haven't been all that faithful to the comic so far, so I don't think they know or care enough to give us a Philippus or Artemis.

RayRay1127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By RayRay1127

@scorpio_cassadine:

They're giving us an Asian Euboea! Also, IMHO, I tend to like comic book movies more when they don't strictly adhere to the source. If the basic concept is there, I feel like expanding on that in it's own way is fun and interesting.

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scorpio_cassadine:

They're giving us an Asian Euboea! Also, IMHO, I tend to like comic book movies more when they don't strictly adhere to the source. If the basic concept is there, I feel like expanding on that in it's own way is fun and interesting.

I don't, I like just enough curve balls thrown to give us a new story. For instance I'm one of the few people who really liked X-Men 3: The Last Stand, but it has none of the scale and scope of the Dark Phoenix Saga. It's good for what it is, but it's completely unsatisfying when compared to the source material. For me the main point of a comic book movie is to see the comic book come to life on screen. When you change too much, you get the equivalent of when they turn a successful film into a tv series and swap out all the stars for new unknown actors. It's something sort of similar but never as entertaining.

ComicNerd105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scorpio_cassadine: Lucy Davis has a eating disorder. She's actually plus size right now. Had you actually done research and look up recent pics of her she is not a "regular sized" woman at the moment. She isn't wearing a fat suit or a double chin in WW either, that's all really her.

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicnerd105 said:

@scorpio_cassadine: Lucy Davis has a eating disorder. She's actually plus size right now. Had you actually done research and look up recent pics of her she is not a "regular sized" woman at the moment. She isn't wearing a fat suit or a double chin in WW either, that's all really her.

Bruh, I googled like a mug Lucy Davis 2016 if you're talking about this...

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

It's not hardly this...

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

RayRay1127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scorpio_cassadine:

She dropped some poundage after the role. Remember, most of her scenes were probably filmed last year some time. And as the poster above stated, she's had some food issues over the years. Personally I REALLY lived her in UK Office and Shaun of the Dead so I was very happy with the casting.

BOY I say 'personaly' a lot... On these forums I think I'm morphing into Sharon from Grease 2... Lol

ComicNerd105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scorpio_cassadine: her weight changes constantly. She's been struggling with it for years. Of course 4 from from when she was filming Wonder Woman her weight changes

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If her weight fluctuates so much why can't I find a fat pic? I googled "Lucy Davis fat" and "Lucy Davis eating disorder" and still got bupkis.

ComicNerd105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because wasn't in public as much. Look up Lucy Davis NCIS. You'll see why

RayRay1127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By RayRay1127

@comicnerd105:

I found one. Funnily enough it was right next to her as Etta and she looked bigger in the ncis pic...

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I wish you'd post it because I can't find it and I'm sick of looking.

RayRay1127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I wish you'd post it because I can't find it and I'm sick of looking.

No Caption Provided

Here ya go, Scorpio! :)

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is that even her? I don't think that's her.

No Caption Provided

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just kidding, thanks RayRay! :)

ComicNerd105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm on my phone I can't

RayRay1127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By RayRay1127

@scorpio_cassadine:

No but right? I had to confirm it was her myself. Only other image I could find was not very clear cause it was essentially the back of a short chunky blonde lady in a lab coat. Lol! And I don't say "chunky" as a negative, I love zoftig ladies! Love your curves!

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By CSG_CL

@archizooom: I'm not praising Gal beyond the good work she did in a very small role in BVS. Her other work is mediocre. Rousey has essentially nothing to work off of other than being an actual fighter. She'd be better off as the stunt double.

I have no idea why you are so in about "fake ginger hair" ... It's not exactly uncommon, and you'd be hard pressed to find many redheads who are "all natural" it's effectively meaningless to an actors suitability for a role.

Bag on the Emmys but she also has several SAG nominations as well as Critics choice awards ... And she has a significantly more impressive resume than you are intimating, sure she's not Amie Adams, but she's been working consistently for almost 20 years and has significantly more success than most. She got credits in voice over work showing quite a range of skill ... Playing Lois Lane in All Star SM in one end and a stint in American Dad! The point is a good actress can play a good role.

RayRay1127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl:

Although I couldn't see her as Artemis, I agree with the points you made. I really liked Joan on Mad Men and I liked Christina in the ep of Firefly she was in. Moreover, she is just so photogenic. I just think she's so beautiful and I wish more women and girls looked at HER body type as ideal instead of all those bundles of wires, which is what every boney famous lady looks like to me.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By CSG_CL

@rayray1127: she is quiet lovely ... A full figured woman indeed! Unfortunately that probably limits what roles people want to see her in ... Including IMO Artemis, because the idea of a curvy Artemis doesn't match the comics. And I can respect that, even if I think a good actress could make the character amazing! To be honest I didn't think Amy Adams was the best choice for Lois Lane, but she's a stellar actress and has been one of the highlights of an otherwise mediocre franchise.

RayRay1127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl:

I personally enjoyed both Man of Steel and Batman v Superman, and part of that was cause Lois Lane was so well acted. I didn't care for most Loises before her...

Redatom1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I use to be one of those guys that was picking Christina cause of her jugs but after batman vs superman, There's a sexy look gal gives that compensates and when I relook at her body I realise it's pretty much closer to accurate than a woman with big boobs is. I know that may not make sense but to sum up, gal was good casting. And I'm glad the faith is stored in the new DCEU so far

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: I mentioned she's a fake ginger because your opinion was based solely on the color of her hair-- which is fake, it's just an FYI. Any actress can play the character if that's the only criterion

And I can think of a few doing television right now who, imo, are a cut above Christina Hendricks, Joan was almost like a flesh and blood Jessica Rabbit, her carriage was borderline cartoonish. Angelina Jolie won an oscar and 3 golden globes yet she's just a fair-to-middling actress, actors like them a dime-a-dozen in hollywood, the emmys be damned. Now Martha from the Americans is what I call a brilliant actress, she really blew me away, by your logic she would've been a great Wonder Woman, she doesn't look the part but talent's everything and she's got that in spades.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By CSG_CL

@archizooom: naturally the red hair harkens to the Artemis/Aleka/Orana look, but colored hair is pretty much the norm for any actress, or practically any woman these days, it's not a negative in my mind as long as it fits the character. If we insisted that only a natural red head played the role we'd be having a very short list of women.

And what exactly makes you a better judge of talent than the Emmy's or Academy Awards? I can understand you have different preferences, but it's patently ridiculous to ignore industry awards as a relative view of an actors ability. As for your very juvenile point regarding my criteria, I'd simply say go back and read what I actually wrote and recall that my initial response had everything to do with CH LOOKING the part coupled with her being a great actor.

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@saint_sophie:

It is true she USED to operate mainly in the US but one of the very few things I liked about Azz's reboot was putting that faze behind her. WW is at her best operating at a wider, more worldly view, imho.

And not gonna comment on your opinions about Gal cause mine are totally opposite and there's no point in arguing about those sorts of things. I respect your opinion for what it is and because I respect EVERYONE until they give me reason not to.

Just wondering, who would YOU rather have had in the part?

I don't think I could picture anyone actually having the complete package.. some have the looks but lack the acting chops to at least play a decent WW and put some emotional depth in her character. Some have the body but lack acting or looks.

While some can act but don't look the part. Tbh, WW does seem kind of unattainable for most people, 6 ft tall, muscular but still not too thin but not too chubby/fat, and she is written to have a lot of knowledge and has imo a lot of depth as a character.

As for my comments, or at least my disappointment in her facial expressions, it was a off topic comment, just a little tidbit of info that wasn't directed at anyone..

xoxo, -Saint Sophie

RayRay1127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_sophie:

I will agree that seeing Di smile more would be great. It's why I love Nicola Scott cause her rendition of WW always seems so joyful.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Archizooom

@csg_cl: But she DOESN'T look the part apart from being a ginger, a fake one at that. And I didn't say we need natural red hair, in fact I put forward a blonde, Ronda's a dirty blond if you didn't know, I can't work out whether that's a straw man or one of your dumbass conclusions you make all the time. And then I'm the one with a reading deficit, the pot calling the kettle black?

My opinion is worth nothing but I'm not gonna change it just because she was nominated for the emmys. I'd sooner change my opinion on the Emmys, not that I put a lot of stock in award shows

Avatar image for avatar_of_green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had no idea this was such a hot topic for discussion lol.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By Archizooom

@avatar_of_green: No but you make very good use of your time discussing very important matters on the battle boards

Avatar image for avatar_of_green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NotCharlieCox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
    deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Truthfully this heavily muscled 6 foot three Diana everyone wanted was never gonna happen and I think we all know that and frankly she's been drawn skinnier than gadot before so her frame has never been of much importance and people need to divorce desire from reality. Gadot got the part there's no point in ripping her a new one for the body she has esp since all she seems to do now a days is workout.

Hollywood is hollywood, most actresses don't fit that criteria at all and if they do they can't act or wouldn't be right for the part because rarely any women of that stature will make it unless they end up fitting very specific criteria for specific types of character(usually supporting or lesser focused on strong woman stereotypes).

Also plenty of these male stars who do fit those descrip talk about how ridiculously hard it is for them to fit in that role and how unhealthy it is so idk why everyone is so hellbent on wanting women to take on that same frustration along with the ridic expectations they have now.

Maybe if this is successful enough will get a we franchise in a decade or so and they can work with someone that is more muscular already and get them some acting classes but rn please just let it go

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
    deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Christina Hendricks doesn't seem commanding enough to be Diana. Diana has always had a sensuality to her but at times Diana needs to be forceful and intimidating and Hendricks has never given the right type of performance IMO to justify casting her esp since she doesn't really look like any version of Diana I've seen before but I know that she could make a good Circe esp if she has a bit more range and can slip into a purely evil monologue type of situation

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By CSG_CL

@archizooom said:

@csg_cl: But she DOESN'T look the part apart from being a ginger, a fake one at that. And I didn't say we need natural red hair, in fact I put forward a blonde, Ronda's a dirty blond if you didn't know, I can't work out whether that's a straw man or one of your dumbass conclusions you make all the time. And then I'm the one with a reading deficit, the pot calling the kettle black?

My opinion is worth nothing but I'm not gonna change it just because she was nominated for the emmys. I'd sooner change my opinion on the Emmys, not that I put a lot of stock in award shows

She looks the part if you have any ability to think for yourself or are capable of using your imagination, she's statuesque, a touch mischievous, has an imposing presence and can certainly fill out an Amazon outfit with a decent script she could make a totally believable Artemis/Aleka/Orana type of character. Instead you'd rather be a drone and assume that only someone that has no proven acting ability who would also have to dye their hair not to mention learn to act should be placed in such a role simply because she knows martial arts. You're right, your opinion isn't worth anything ... I'm glad we can agree on that much!

Ashik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolutely Christina ftw. Got the acting chops, charms & physique. She just would've needed to cut a few pounds & tone the muscles. In my book Gadot is a disaster as WW. Cause she could play Paris hilton, Kiera nightley or pretty neighborhood girl characters but WW....HELL NO.

blackagar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

She's perfect for the role imo (Just needs a little more muscle mainly on her shoulders)

RayRay1127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. Christina Hendricks is a great actress, but she'd be a terrible choice to play Wonder Woman. A) She's a little too old. B) She doesn't have the right body type to be Wonder Woman. Don't get me wrong, Christina Hendricks is hot, but Wonder Woman needs to be played by an actress in athletic shape, which is one of many reasons Gal Gadot was perfect for the role.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By jphulk26

I can't vote. I'd be intrigued by her given her performance in Madmen, especially perhaps as Artemis if not WW. However I do like Gal. I think with all these characters its interesting to see different artists and different actors interpretations. That's part of the fun of it.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. Christina Hendricks is a great actress, but she'd be a terrible choice to play Wonder Woman. A) She's a little too old. B) She doesn't have the right body type to be Wonder Woman. Don't get me wrong, Christina Hendricks is hot, but Wonder Woman needs to be played by an actress in athletic shape, which is one of many reasons Gal Gadot was perfect for the role.

Lol. Same argument they used for Gal! Surely she could bulk down get thinner, more athletic for the role lol. All honesty I think Chris would make a kick ass Artemis if she can do accents. Which I suppose she can.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphulk26 said:
    @mrmonster said:

Lol. Same argument they used for Gal! Surely she could bulk down get thinner, more athletic for the role lol. All honesty I think Chris would make a kick ass Artemis if she can do accents. Which I suppose she can.

No, I actually don't think she can. I think Gal would have to completely stop eating to lose any body weight.

If Gal Gadot doesn't look athletic enough for you, then I honestly don't know who would.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.