Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8808 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Wonder Woman: A Very Selfish Princess

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By SaintWildcard

So it seems Wonder Woman is getting an other origin, this being the third (counting the movie, it would be 4) in such a short period. This time it will be written by Jill Thompson.

No Caption Provided

WONDER WOMAN: THE VERY SELFISH PRINCESS is Jill Thompson’s storybook style reimagining of the early years of the Amazon Princess Dian, who would grow up to become Wonder Woman. This fully painted graphic novel is unlike any Wonder Woman tale you have ever read, told as only Eisner Award-winning writer/artist Thomspon could. When young Diana has the fawning attention of a nation, she soon grows spoiled. But a series of tragic events take their toll, and Diana must learn to grow up, take responsibility, and seize her destiny.

Steeped in the mythology of this iconic character’s original conception, WONDER WOMAN: THE VERY SELFISH PRINCESS is designed to appeal to a wide range of readers. It’s a fresh, stand alone interpretation of the most famous and iconic female super-hero of all time and the fulfillment of a dream project by one of contemporary comics’ most acclaimed creators

Before publication, the comic ill be serialised the 12 digital chapters on ComiXology.

Thoughts?

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 dshipp17  Online

Sounds like I want to take a look at this book.

alsummers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I don't think this is an origin story per se, more of a prequel to the origin, focusing solely on her youth. But I guess we'll have to wait and see. And I don't mind reading her origin stories as the recent ones have such interesting variation without deviating too much from the very first origin tale.

adrikito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

What? Another origin?

Avatar image for darkdetective27
    darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 10

My thoughts are that no one seems to be able to come up with an interesting new idea for her and DC is wanting to sell more Wonder Woman books. Maybe Joss Whedon was right in that aside from her origin nobody knows what to do with her.

RevivalMH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All of these origin stories are getting a little tiring. As interesting as this sounds, and while I love all the attention WW is getting, I may pass on this one.

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
    deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 dshipp17  Online

So it seems Wonder Woman is getting an other origin, this being the third (counting the movie, it would be 4) in such a short period. This time it will be written by Jill Thompson.

No Caption Provided

WONDER WOMAN: THE VERY SELFISH PRINCESS is Jill Thompson’s storybook style reimagining of the early years of the Amazon Princess Dian, who would grow up to become Wonder Woman. This fully painted graphic novel is unlike any Wonder Woman tale you have ever read, told as only Eisner Award-winning writer/artist Thomspon could. When young Diana has the fawning attention of a nation, she soon grows spoiled. But a series of tragic events take their toll, and Diana must learn to grow up, take responsibility, and seize her destiny.

Steeped in the mythology of this iconic character’s original conception, WONDER WOMAN: THE VERY SELFISH PRINCESS is designed to appeal to a wide range of readers. It’s a fresh, stand alone interpretation of the most famous and iconic female super-hero of all time and the fulfillment of a dream project by one of contemporary comics’ most acclaimed creators

Before publication, the comic ill be serialised the 12 digital chapters on ComiXology.

Thoughts?

When will this be available on Comixology? I can't find anything after May 2015 regarding this book other than this thread.

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41: No, I meant they dont have any ideas for new exciting stories so they are just reusing the origin story over and over again because DC is wanting to sell more Wonder Woman comics. Id rather see her in battles against new villains or new stories of her fighting villains like Dr Psycho and Cheetah instead of her origin story being retold 4 times in 2 years.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By dshipp17  Online

@agent41 said:
    @dshipp17 said:
    @saintwildcard said:

No Caption Provided

Thoughts?

When will this be available on Comixology? I can't find anything after May 2015 regarding this book other than this thread.

2015 regarding this book?. We are in 2016.

Read the whole sentence; this was announced in May 2015; until this thread, there was no further updates; so, this may not have even panned out, as there have been no further details after May 2015 unless the OP has some new, insider information.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

It kind of feels like Marvel doing a Wonder Woman story.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dshipp17  Online

@dernman said:

How would that be with no actual story to read yet?

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 dshipp17  Online

I see now; the true title of this book should be "Wonder Woman: The True Amazon" out on September 28, 2016.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17 said:
    @dernman said:

You can read what they wrote right? That has more of a marvel feel then DC.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 dshipp17  Online

@dernman said:
    @dshipp17 said:
    @dernman said:

No, did you read it anywhere? As far as I can tell, it wont be coming out until the end of September. Is there anywhere I can go to review the book?

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17 said:
    @dernman said:
    @dshipp17 said:
    @dernman said:

No, did you read it anywhere? As far as I can tell, it wont be coming out until the end of September. Is there anywhere I can go to review the book?

Oy vey I'm talking about what they wrote in the description.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:

very fair tale-esque IMO ... not sure I'd be particularly interested in a story about Diana being a bratty kid who learned some harsh lessons.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:
    @dernman said:

very fair tale-esque IMO ... not sure I'd be particularly interested in a story about Diana being a bratty kid who learned some harsh lessons.

Not the way they describe it certainly.

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 4

I may read this. At the very least, I'll give the first chapter a try when it hits comixology. (Unless it's 3.99+)

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By CSG_CL

I may read this. At the very least, I'll give the first chapter a try when it hits comixology. (Unless it's 3.99+)

@dernman said:
    @csg_cl said:
    @dernman said:

Not the way they describe it certainly.

if it's a $0.99 digital edition I'll consider it ... but they need to tighten up the description for me to take it seriously. Especially since LOWW is already out there with a strong origin story.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.