Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8808 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Wonder Woman: 2nd Comic

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Press Oblivion
    No Caption Provided

So, I mentioned in the Sensation Comics; Revive the Title thread Brian Azzarello stated that there have been talks of publishing another Wonder Woman comic in the Word Balloon Podcast linked below.

He also mentioned that he wouldn't want to write another title featuring her . . . . so who would you pick for to helm the new book?

Azzarello Talks of another Wonder Woman Comic!

Wordballoon Podcast features Brian Azzarello in the first segment.

Azz vaguely mentions that there is talk of another Wonder Woman title . . . the Question comes up "Can Wonder Woman Support another title?"

Wonder Woman talk starts about an hour in.

http://wordballoon.blogspot.com/2012/11/download-mp3-here-on-this-episode-of_16.html

What creative team do you think would rock the Amazon and why?

I would love to see what Peter David would do with her on the writing chores. He's a writer with the ability to create strong character relationships and characterizations with quick wit, combining levity and drama to keep the reader engaged. David has previous experience writing for DC on Supergirl and Aquaman titles and had an incredible 13 year run on the Incredible Hulk for Marvel as well as a multitude of other tittles. I think that he's more than qualified to take on a new Wonder Woman title (Hopefully titled Sensation Comics) and bring her to new heights.

I've never seen Marc Silvestri on a DC comic before and his ability to draw beautiful and powerful females is in a class all by itself. Marc also has the credit of creating one of the most recognizable Female characters in the comic book world, Witchblade. He might have an idea or two about how to really market a character like Wonder Woman and help bring her new found recognition, something that a lot of you have been mentioning frequently.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

www.pressoblivion.com

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By SmashBrawler

@Press Oblivion: I agree with your choices. Being able to get them is a different thing entirely, though.

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Press Oblivion

True, but let's think of it as a "Dream Team" if you will. :D

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By gokuwarrior

arazzello doesn't want to write another title featuring wonder woman?,i guess he is already too busy with one wonder woman title,trying to do everything right.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By fodigg

If they do another WW comic, they should bring back Sensation Comics, which as I understand it was her version of Action Comics and Detective Comics. Shame that Azz wouldn't want to write both, but then it'd also be nice to see someone else's take on it, as long as it was top-tier talent.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#6  Edited By RazzaTazz

It would be interesting.  I guess as long as Johns  (or Liefeld) is not writing that is all I would want

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Blood1991

I'm stoked if this is true. I am in love with her new series.

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Press Oblivion

If you've had a moment to listen to the Podcast, you'll find that Azzarello is generally agitated at everything and proves to be a tough interview. I think Sara interviewed him during NYCC or SDCC and I got the same vibe about him there as well. This general temperament might be why he's not really excited about taking on more Wonder Woman. A character like Scott Snyder would be more enthusiastic about expansion. @Blood1991: So this is a big if here.

Since Azzarello is responsible for Wonder Woman's current status, whom ever it might be that is chosen for the creative would have to work closely with him for consistency and tone.

@RazzaTazz: I think it's safe to say that Liefeld isn't coming back to DC.

@fodigg said:

If they do another WW comic, they should bring back Sensation Comics, which as I understand it was her version of Action Comics and Detective Comics. Shame that Azz wouldn't want to write both, but then it'd also be nice to see someone else's take on it, as long as it was top-tier talent.

There are several topics on exactly this here in the forums, (I linked to my own thread at the top of the first entry) check 'em out and post your thoughts on the matter. JPhulk26 has made a petition for people to sign addressing DC about Wonder Woman in general if you'd like to take a look at that as well.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RazzaTazz

@Press Oblivion: Not until they ask him to take the artistic lead when Lee leaves

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Press Oblivion

@RazzaTazz: Huh? After the way he left DC what makes you think that they would do that?

arnoldoaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11  Edited By arnoldoaad

@Press Oblivion:

OHHH

I wasnt aware of this rumor, very interesting thats pretty cool

You know hearing Azzarelllo talking, he is just such an asshole really, he is one of those guys who pretty much you should never be close at a convention from what i have heard of

now

The second writer would completely depend of what is the focus of the book, It could be many different things and every single one of them would require a different kind of writer

• It could be about the beginnings of WW like Morison's AC was
    • it could be a secondary title with her on London more about her personal life
    • her working with a different supporting cast, kind of a quasi team book like Aquaman or Batman Inc
    • something more involve with the JL and the Superman/WW relationship

there is just a tone of possibilities

but here are my options

Greg Rucka if its the first option

Maybe Brian Miller for the second one

I would love Marjorie Lui in the 3rd or 4th one

I would also like Mike Carey on the main WW if Azzarello ever leaves

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By jrock85

I seriously doubt that it will come to fruition.

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae841330527
    deactivated-60ae841330527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I honestly hope they don't, or at least not part of the DCnU franchise. There are plenty of other characters I'd like to be seen introduced back into DC. I like Batman a lot, but I'm not happy they have like 5 direct Batman based books and 6 (arguably 7) direct spin-offs based mainly on Batman family characters ,and at least 5 "mixed team" based comics (including him or Bat-family members). I'm okay with spinoffs and, of course, team based comics as they often have characters who don't have their own comics, but I really don't think you need 2 comics when you have characters like some of the wildcats MIA. By all means, they can do a separate line like Smallville, Earth-1, or an else world though, just not interested in another DCnU title of characters already present in their own series.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a77aa5e0a324
    deactivated-5a77aa5e0a324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If this was a perfect world Greg Rucka would write everything she's in

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Press Oblivion

@arnoldoaad: Great choices there, I especially like Marjorie Liu I think that would fit really well. I don't think I'm familiar with Mike Carey's work but I'm intrigued that you wold pick him to follow Azzarello, I'll have to see what he's done, thanks :)

Rucka had a great run, I would love to see him paired with Steve McNiven.

@drgnx said:

I honestly hope they don't, or at least not part of the DCnU franchise. There are plenty of other characters I'd like to be seen introduced back into DC. I like Batman a lot, but I'm not happy they have like 5 direct Batman based books and 6 (arguably 7) direct spin-offs based mainly on Batman family characters ,and at least 5 "mixed team" based comics (including him or Bat-family members). I'm okay with spinoffs and, of course, team based comics as they often have characters who don't have their own comics, but I really don't think you need 2 comics when you have characters like some of the wildcats MIA. By all means, they can do a separate line like Smallville, Earth-1, or an else world though, just not interested in another DCnU title of characters already present in their own series.

I understand your feeling here and it does make sense that people want to see innovation and new developments in this genre. I would love to see another Wonder Woman title for the basic reason that Azzarello is not answering any of the questions that people have about the Wonder Woman character and the longer he keeps her buried in Greek Tragedy the longer it will take to get those questions answered (He's probably creating more questions than ever). A second title allows Azzarello to tell his story while the other title can focus on developing these questions.

@jrock85 said:

I seriously doubt that it will come to fruition.

Perhaps not . . . but you never know what they'll do. Azzarello's interview didn't sound too hopeful but at least they're talking about it.

arnoldoaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16  Edited By arnoldoaad

@Press Oblivion said:

@arnoldoaad: Great choices there, I especially like Marjorie Liu I think that would fit really well. I don't think I'm familiar with Mike Carey's work but I'm intrigued that you wold pick him to follow Azzarello, I'll have to see what he's done, thanks :)

Rucka had a great run, I would love to see him paired with Steve McNiven.

Mike Carey is te writer of the Lucifer Ongoing, that spinned off Sandman(I i think he dd other spin offs too), he wrote a run in Hellblazer and he is currently in The Unwritten on vertigo, and was nominated for a couple of Eisners last year, so i think he would an interesting choice

krspaceT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 13

#17  Edited By krspaceT

Wonderboy

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae841330527
    deactivated-60ae841330527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Press Oblivion said:

@drgnx said:

I understand your feeling here and it does make sense that people want to see innovation and new developments in this genre. I would love to see another Wonder Woman title for the basic reason that Azzarello is not answering any of the questions that people have about the Wonder Woman character and the longer he keeps her buried in Greek Tragedy the longer it will take to get those questions answered (He's probably creating more questions than ever). A second title allows Azzarello to tell his story while the other title can focus on developing these questions.

An alternative could be adding a few pages and telling short stories at the end of the book. They did it for Captain Marvel in JLA and a few times in Action Comics.

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By gokuwarrior

@RazzaTazz: did johns write her at some point?,the writer i don't want to see is byrne.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By RazzaTazz

@gokuwarrior: Byrne is probably my least favourite modern writer of hers

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21  Edited By Pokeysteve

I think anyone is a better choice than Azzarello. His Wonder Woman is so boring and uneventful. 14 issues in and I still don't really care about anyone in that book. She's one of my favorite characters too. Shame.

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Press Oblivion

Johns is writing her in the Justice League title in a limited capacity. Her characterization there seems very different from the one in her own title.

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By gokuwarrior

@RazzaTazz: if you want wonder woman to be weak and look mediocre,call byrne,he won't disapoint.

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By gokuwarrior

@Pokeysteve: what arazzello is doing with wonder woman is like those TV novels,you know,100 episodes can pass before they finish their coffee,the thing is that the adventure and mistery is good,but it lacks a lot of action,feats and wonder woman isn't ulises,sher is a god like warrior,you can't have 14 issues and still don't show an epic fight,the lack of action is the bad thing about arazzello run.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Pokeysteve

@gokuwarrior said:

@Pokeysteve: what arazzello is doing with wonder woman is like those TV novels,you know,100 episodes can pass before they finish their coffee,the thing is that the adventure and mistery is good,but it lacks a lot of action,feats and wonder woman isn't ulises,sher is a god like warrior,you can't have 14 issues and still don't show an epic fight,the lack of action is the bad thing about arazzello run.

I just don't like what DC did to her and her supporting cast. Mainly the Olympians in this case. They're always depicted as perfect looking, large humans. Why did DC make them all weird looking hahaha. And her being the offspring of Zeus still pisses me off. Totally ruined her.

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By gokuwarrior

@Pokeysteve: if she had more action and high level feats it would be better,so i still have some hope.

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By gokuwarrior

@Press Oblivion:what arazzello is doing with wonder woman is like those TV novels,you know,100 episodes can pass before they finish their coffee,the thing is that the adventure and mistery is good,but it lacks a lot of action,feats and wonder woman isn't ulises,sher is a god like warrior,you can't have 14 issues and still don't show an epic fight,the lack of action is the bad thing about arazzello run,her JL version nhas more action,but nothing special,as long as they don't show amazing feats from her,then she is just a random amazon that wears wonder woman suit,and nothing like the real wonder woman,and that my friend is a big problem.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Pokeysteve

@gokuwarrior: My problems with her aren't going away lol. I like her in Justice League better.

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By gokuwarrior

@Pokeysteve: trust me,there isn't a single wonder woman from new 52 that can make justice to her pre 52 version.

if they start to show more action and epic feats,really good fights,and then start to maka a deeper development for her character and suporting cast and villans,then you'll start to like her solo title,and you'll like her way more in the JL too.

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Press Oblivion

So do you guys have Fantasy Creative Team picks for a second Wonder Woman title?

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By RazzaTazz

@gokuwarrior: I dont know why they him draw her too, there were maybe two panels his whole run where he looked ok

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By RazzaTazz

@Press Oblivion said:

@RazzaTazz: Huh? After the way he left DC what makes you think that they would do that?

After the way he left anything he should really be drawing Hi and Lois or something.

fps_dean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33  Edited By fps_dean

@Pokeysteve said:

@gokuwarrior: My problems with her aren't going away lol. I like her in Justice League better.

Exactly why I want Johns to write this second title, I it happens

MatKrenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 255

#34  Edited By MatKrenz

@Pokeysteve: Maybe because Azz taught that making the Gods look like perfect humans has been over done and wanted to do something new and interesting ? I mean all the designs has been very clever up until this point.

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By gokuwarrior

@RazzaTazz: i don't know but it feels terrible when you read a comic where the writer doesn't seem to know what to with the character that he is writing.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By RazzaTazz

@gokuwarrior: The only thing I liked of his was his attempt to sort out Donna Troy, it was later scrubbed though as well.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Pokeysteve

@gokuwarrior said:

@Pokeysteve: trust me,there isn't a single wonder woman from new 52 that can make justice to her pre 52 version.

if they start to show more action and epic feats,really good fights,and then start to maka a deeper development for her character and suporting cast and villans,then you'll start to like her solo title,and you'll like her way more in the JL too.

Agreed on the first part. It isn't really the lack of action that bothers me. Pre 52 she wasn't always punching stuff. The best way for me to describe it is the spark that made that character great, the personality that Perez worked so hard to infuse, is gone. She doesn't seem herself because she's not. Maybe it's just me.

@fps_dean said:

@Pokeysteve said:

Exactly why I want Johns to write this second title, I it happens

I'd be ok with him. He's doing a great job on JL. He mixes action and story very well. And a retcon certainly isn't going to hurt any more lol.

@MatKrenz said:

@Pokeysteve: Maybe because Azz taught that making the Gods look like perfect humans has been over done and wanted to do something new and interesting ? I mean all the designs has been very clever up until this point.

I can understand that. It's a small gripe. Just seems unnecessary.

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Press Oblivion
    No Caption Provided

@RazzaTazz said:

@Press Oblivion said:

After the way he left anything he should really be drawing Hi and Lois or something.

Um . . . yeah . . . you lost me. S'ok though I'm easily befuddled.

Anyway, this thread isn't shaping up the way I thought it would . . . carry on derailment . . . carry on.

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By gokuwarrior

@Pokeysteve: i understand,arazzello development is slow,so i don't know what to think because it seems like a slow process,maybe in the next issues we'll see her character getting more development,more personality,and more of her warrior side as well.

GolDEnsPectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By GolDEnsPectre

I think if they start a W.W. comic, they should have her as the leader of the Justice Society

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Press Oblivion
    No Caption Provided

@GolDEnsPectre: They're doing the JSA in the Earth 2 title at the moment.

Fury is supposed to be the last Amazon in that reality, perhaps she could fulfill that thought.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.