Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8719 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Wonder Woman 2 Preview

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By dshipp17

Looks like my perception of Perez's origin for the Amazons are now the cannon for Rebirth: they are the reincarnated souls of women victims of men.

No Caption Provided

And, this one scan perhaps answers the real reason that Wonder Woman cannot find her way back to Paradise Island/Themyscira in the present day.

No Caption Provided

RayRay1127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

The scan of Diana and Hippolyta together fills me with glee... Cannot WAIT for this issue!

alsummers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rayray1127: The set up was kinda funny, both speaking tersely and Hippolyta looking displeased before they hug and look happy together. Like Rucka saying, "yeah...this how they are together... because, yeah, they love each other."

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
    SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Beautiful! I'm so happy to have Themyscira looking like an island Paradise again. The neoclassical architecture was important and greatly missed. As was Philippus.

One thing though, does Diana get a make-over after going to Man's World? She's a fairly plain jane version of Nicola Scott here, but a drop dead gorgeous knock out when Liam Sharp draws her. However I like that juxtaposition, it's like the caterpillar became a butterfly once she spread her wings and got off the island.

RayRay1127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alsummers:

See, I read that as them sharing their own version of a joke. Being staunchy royals at each other, then hugging and having a little laugh together about it.

RayRay1127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One thing though, does Diana get a make-over after going to Man's World? She's a fairly plain jane version of Nicola Scott here, but a drop dead gorgeous knock out when Liam Sharp draws her. However I like that juxtaposition, it's like the caterpillar became a butterfly once she spread her wings and got off the island.

I cannot understand the "plain jane" comment... Scott renders Diana with very Greek inspired features. Beauty IS in the eye of the beholder, so I get that not everyone sees the beauty of this depiction, but pkain jane seems pretty harsh... Features foreign to the "Hollywood glam" look she's normally drawn with are beautiful to lots of people. I see a beautiful woman with Greek features here. I have a hard time seeing anything else, actually!

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SCORPIO_CASSADINE

@rayray1127 said:
    @scorpio_cassadine said:

I cannot understand the "plain jane" comment... Scott renders Diana with very Greek inspired features. Beauty IS in the eye of the beholder, so I get that not everyone sees the beauty of this depiction, but pkain jane seems pretty harsh... Features foreign to the "Hollywood glam" look she's normally drawn with are beautiful to lots of people. I see a beautiful woman with Greek features here. I have a hard time seeing anything else, actually!

I got "plain jane" from the same thread on cbr, but I agree with it, not as an insult, but meaning unadorned and make-up free. She's still pretty. That's just the way Nicola draws noses and a lot of her female characters resemble their artist. I do the same thing, if I'm not consciously thinking about it, everyone I draw has eyes shaped like mine (and Luther Vandross' lol).

No Caption Provided

I don't mean to offend, but I always prefer Wonder Woman glammed up like Lynda Carter, even though I know lots of people see that as unrealistic and outdated.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

RayRay1127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scorpio_cassadine:

No offense taken, and I see where you are coming from. I know Lynda is sort of the general template on which the character is compared to and I get it. To me, she physically embodied Wonder Woman in that time better than anyone else in a comic to screen adaption ever had, except (arguably, imo) Christopher Reeve.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was the most beautiful Wonder Woman issue I read in a long time but I was hoping Rebirth would hew closer to Wonder Woman's roots rather than rehash Perez' origin story which I despise, so I'm a little bit bummed by that. But I'm more and more in love with Steve Trevor and I can't wait to feast my eyes on Wonder Woman #4

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was the most beautiful Wonder Woman issue I read in a long time but I was hoping Rebirth would hew closer to Wonder Woman's roots rather than rehash Perez' origin story which I despise, so I'm a little bit bummed by that. But I'm more and more in love with Steve Trevor and I can't wait to feast my eyes on Wonder Woman #4

What's your beef with Perez? It's not a rehash of his origin because there are inter-generational Amazons, along with other changes like the way the gods communicate. I'm almost positive when all is said and done Diana will remain the daughter of Zeus. That's what I despise.

Super-Wonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Super-Wonder

I do the same thing, if I'm not consciously thinking about it, everyone I draw has eyes shaped like mine (and Luther Vandross' lol).
    No Caption Provided

Who's eyes are those? Piercing!

I haven't seen the whole issue but I happen to think that Scott's renderings of Diana in the preview are very Plain Jane looking and appears rather dopey looking in that last panel that last panel capture of the original OP. Nicola is a fine illustrator with excellent disciplines but her style is very dry for me but I collected comics in the 90's when the books were all about style and less about substance. That's just Scott's style and the contrast between her work and Master Sharp are really night and day. I don't see that Scott is looking for a Greek aesthetic to her figures, as her art looks pretty much the same as everything else she's done.

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@super-wonder: They're mine, thanks Super-Wonder!

I like Nicola's art and always have, it's just that her faces have a certain sameness. For instance Steve's friend Nick could have easily been Val Zod in military uniform instead of his Superman suit, except Val Zod's eyes are blue.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scorpio_cassadine: My beef with Perez is that he striped them off their agency, Wonder Woman summed it up well saying "all we do is bear witness".

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
    deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

it was nice. im glad hippolyta seems like she lost her Joanne the Scammer rep because idk if i could take another lying, manipulative Hippolyta story. Amazons are better than before tho I agree with @archizooom about the return of Perez's version of things and their lack of agency but they are better than what n52 gave us in some ways so im not complaining too much. I think my biggest gripe is the Harmonia and Ares thing. Art was beautiful though and glad to see steve get a little development. Can wait to see young etta.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.