Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8805 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Wonder Woman # 11 Spoilers

• 85 results
    dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

This issue went quickly, but revealed some information. Veronica Cale is a Doctor and reveals her villainous side. Doctor may have just been Veronica, all along, but, there's still a sparkle of hope for Dr. Psycho.

But, it seems that Rucka has found a good way to have retconned everything in the New-52, at least for Wonder Woman's self-contained bubble. The big lie is that Diana never actually returned home, in the first instance. Once gone, she has always been gone. Whatever happened has always been a deception and the breakdown seems to be coming for other reasons. Something is still messing with her head, but, this has driven Diana to anguish.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

alsummers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Fanboys are already raging about this.......as if this wasn't alluded to from the Rebirth issue in the first place.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ZariusII

A forgone conclusion...there's a reason more of us have been into Year One than the glorified 'clean up on aisle three' that this has been. At least we're just about past it. I've sort of liked it, but boy did it drag.

alsummers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii: Yeah, I agree that the modern day issues have been trying to put the pieces together, although I think I liked the journey more than you did. But I've been reading solicitations and it seems that Rucka never really intended for the whole arc to be about retconning the n52. After the next issue of the modern day, I don't doubt that things will start rolling into a bringing Diana a new adventure. Godwatch sounds really huge and I refuse to believe that Rucka made a villain just for the sole purpose of retconning the last runs.

vinomonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I wonder how will Jason fit in.. in all of this.

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
    SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loved Terror and Panic, the Godwatch miniskirts, the ever so fashionable Urzkartaga tote, the way Diana's bracelet came apart, the return of the snakebite, the depth and details of Femyscira, how the Amazon threatened to rape Steve, how Steve put it together before Diana, how Etta blasted off Sasha's face into a Fembot and more of the shattered glass motif from WW Rebirth 1

Rurgandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alsummers: It's the New 52 all over again, only this time it's the Azzarello fans crying "not muh Wonder Woman".

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Dean winchester sigh facepalm tv supernatural gif

...You know what? It doesn't even matter what I say. Not because it won't change anything, but because I should have very little input when it comes to WW anyway since I've read very little on her (plenty of more qualified people than me). All I can say is as someone who wants to be the writer and I can only comment on story telling potential, it sucks that WW has to have an other origin because the guy in charge wanted to start from scratch. Azz set up a very interesting and new world for Diana to explore, which got messed up due to Nepotism. Not only does this feel lazy, but it will only add more fuel to the confusing flames of the WW fandom. I know many will disagree with me, but those are just my 2 cents.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By dernman

Can someone try to unbiasely explain to me what's been happening? I've been staying away from comics so I need to catch up.

vinomonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@dernman: Every story in WW Nu52 is all a lie.. thats all you need to know.

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rurgandy said:

@alsummers: It's the New 52 all over again, only this time it's the Azzarello fans crying "not muh Wonder Woman".

No Caption Provided

alsummers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By alsummers

@rurgandy: That's a very accurate statement actually. And here I've been bitched at for enjoying "Rucka's Not Muh WW", when it could be interpreted the other way around.

As for Azzarello, he finished his story neat and tight. I don't think he expected it to be well established as time went on otherwise he would've left things open. And if people read this carefully, the only thing that Rucka erased officially from the N52 so far was Finch's run. Everything else HAS happened.

That aside. It's quite telling how some fans feel they are owed something, when fans who have never read a Wonder Woman comic before, and who probably only read Azz's run in trade, suddenly think they know what's best for the character.

Rurgandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41 said:

@dernman: @saintwildcard: @vinomonster: One thing. It's not fair for some people to say Ruka is trying to change things for WW, another origin story that makes things problematic. Because azz did that. He changed many things from her that long term fans liked. So why are some people throwing stones at Ruka?. Also it seems only finch run was erased. Azz run doesn't seem to be affected. And Azz gave his run a close end, so i don't think he had the idea that his entire vision of WW would become the standard for the character. I know he acted like WW needed his vision to be good enough, basaed on some things that he said. But in my opinion his take on the character is not ALL THAT.

It's because Rucka is an outspoken feminist, and the Internet loves to lose its shit whenever anyone shows the slightest hint of being progressive. People think that poor Frank Cho got censored because Rucka didn't want his name plastered over Cho's artwork.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rurgandy said:

It's because Rucka is an outspoken feminist, and the Internet loves to lose its shit whenever anyone shows the slightest hint of being progressive. People think that poor Frank Cho got censored because Rucka didn't want his name plastered over Cho's artwork.

I disagree that the internet hates Progressives, but the ones who take it to far like SJW's and tons of Feminists. Feminism is a shell of what it used to be, and anyone who labels themselves as one are considered a joke.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

^Usually because the progressives turn out to be the most backward thinking people ironically.

I'm not gonna lie, I wasn't best pleased with Rucka retconning Wonder Woman's New 52 backstory out of continuity. Despite the departure from the familiar mythology and world building in the Wonder Woman comics, I did enjoy Azzarello's Wonder Woman run for what it was. A unique, self contained and more original Greek mythology inspired take on Wonder Woman. But despite the good things about it, it did alienate a lot of die hard Wonder Woman fans and the sales dropped, especially when Finch replaced Azz on the title. I knew Rucka was going to retcon it out of WW's backstory as he had with her being God of War and now all that's left is confirmation that Diana was really made from clay, not from Zeus' loins.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By dernman

@saintwildcard said:
    @rurgandy said:

I disagree that the internet hates Progressives, but the ones who take it to far like SJW's and tons of Feminists. Feminism is a shell of what it used to be, and anyone who labels themselves as one are considered a joke.

Yup. I see far more losing their shit when someone dares say anything negative about "progressives" and feminists than the other way around. If you don't support the narrative your an insert some ism/phobic/hateful monster label that needs to be stomped out. The quotation marks are because many of these progressives are really just progressively regressive or authoritarians.

Rurgandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rurgandy said:

Except it's gotten to the point where the appearance of anything remotely progressive gets people crying "SJW! SJW! SJW!" Just look at the CBR incident where a writer criticized a Teen Titans cover for sexualizing an underage girl, causing such a freakout that the entire forum had to be deleted and rebooted.

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:
    @saintwildcard said:
    @rurgandy said:

Yup. I see far more losing their shit when someone dares say anything negative about "progressives" and feminists than the other way around. If you don't support the narrative your an insert some ism/phobic/hateful monster label that needs to be stomped out. The quotation marks are because many of these progressives are really just progressively regressive or authoritarians.

Basically progressives want everyone to be treated with respect. Conservatives generally are so self centered they can't be bothered with this. They often feel it's an imposition to be asked to consider how others may feel. It's all about their needs, their likes and what they want. That's why changing 70 years worth of Wonder Woman history makes no difference to them, as long as they're happy with the story.

It's no coincidence that many of the same people that take Cho's side and are upset by Rucka undoing Azzarello are the same that never read Wonder Woman before the New 52. They should leave Wonder Woman and go to Azzarello's next project and leave Wonder Woman to her fans like he himself did.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Can't say I am shocked. Azz's run begged to be rebooted sooner or later.

Huge departures from the core don't last long.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By dernman

@scorpio_cassadine said:
    @dernman said:
    @saintwildcard said:
    @rurgandy said:

Basically progressives want everyone to be treated with respect. Conservatives generally are so self centered they can't be bothered with this. They often feel it's an imposition to be asked to consider how others may feel. It's all about their needs, their likes and what they want. That's why changing 70 years worth of Wonder Woman history makes no difference to them, as long as they're happy with the story.

It's no coincidence that many of the same people that take Cho's side and are upset by Rucka undoing Azzarello are the same that never read Wonder Woman before the New 52. They should leave Wonder Woman and go to Azzarello's next project and leave Wonder Woman to her fans like he himself did.

I'm not going to get into an argument about this. I've had too many arguments on the WW forum for my liking. Just let is be said I strongly disagree with what you said and don't give any credence to it at all. I see it more as an divergence from reality really but I'm sure you'll say you feel the same. So lets leave it at that.

I'll say this though. Not pointing to anyone particular but for fracks sake you've got the Wonder Woman you say you want, it's time to stop being so salty. It's not like you're in Spider-Man's fans position. They have it much worse and unlike WW, their shit wont get rewritten when the writer finally leaves.

Not to mention there was no trolling from the writer and not going on nearly as long and much much longer if he has a say. You had a cake walk in comparison.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SaintWildcard

@lvenger said:

^Usually because the progressives turn out to be the most backward thinking people ironically.

Extremes on any spectrum are a dangerous thing.

The thing I will miss the most if it truly is retconned out is the SM/W-just messing with you (please don't kill me WW fans). I'm going to miss the relationship between Diana and Ares (plus the Ares redesign is aces). Strong moments of friendship and family make me cry way more than deaths. I could see a really cool fusion of both Pre and New, where Ares grows a strong bond with Diana, before eventually revealing his plans and wanting her by his side. Probably been done though

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
    deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Another solid issue tbh i just need to know more about those dogs and how Ares ties into all of this

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@saintwildcard: Hell must be freezing over because I actually agree with you. Ares mentoring Diana in that Wonder Woman #0 was done really well and showed a completely new dimension to Diana's relationship with Ares along with giving her a new reason for why she was a better fighter than all the other Amazons. Changing their dynamic from a more antagonistic one to a more sympathetic strained relationship was pretty cool. It's kind of sad Rucka is going to make him an antagonist once again.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ZariusII

@dernman said:
    @scorpio_cassadine said:
    @dernman said:
    @saintwildcard said:
    @rurgandy said:

I'm not going to get into an argument about this. I've had too many arguments on the WW forum for my liking. Just let is be said I strongly disagree with what you said and don't give any credence to it at all. I see it more as an divergence from reality really but I'm sure you'll say you feel the same. So lets leave it at that.

I'll say this though. Not pointing to anyone particular but for fracks sake you've got the Wonder Woman you say you want, it's time to stop being so salty. It's not like you're in Spider-Man's fans position. They have it much worse and unlike WW, their shit wont get rewritten when the writer finally leaves.

Not to mention there was no trolling from the writer and not going on nearly as long and much much longer if he has a say. You had a cake walk in comparison.

Speaking as one such Spider-Man fan, can I just point out that I actually have it pretty good at the moment? Yes, Slott is a woefully inept writer (and a public nuisance) but at least we now have the new Renew Your Vows series from Gerry Conway (hopefully it lasts), and the ASM newspaper strip has been keeping the Spider-Marriage alive virtually all decade (though I admit it's audience is very niche). I wish fans weren't so particular about their end-all/be-all canons when there's still some modestly fine alternatives out there, but that's the prickly nature of long-term investment in committed readership, and will be for the remainder of time I fear.

Besides, Marvel have been dropping little hints lately that OMD might be revisited down the line (revisited is a big difference from "reversed" of course), so I'll be keeping my beady eyes out for developments in 2017.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Up top my friend, back to the status quo! WOOOOO!

...You know what? It doesn't even matter what I say. Not because it won't change anything, but because I should have very little input when it comes to WW anyway since I've read very little on her (plenty of more qualified people than me). All I can say is as someone who wants to be the writer and I can only comment on story telling potential, it sucks that WW has to have an other origin because the guy in charge wanted to start from scratch. Azz set up a very interesting and new world for Diana to explore, which got messed up due to Nepotism. Not only does this feel lazy, but it will only add more fuel to the confusing flames of the WW fandom. I know many will disagree with me, but those are just my 2 cents.

Shut up and take the L. VIVA LA POST CRISIS! MAY THE NEW 52 BE DEAD FOREVER!

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SaintWildcard

@kidchipotle said:

Azz>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>A piece of poop>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Rucka

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

@squalleon said:

Up top my friend, back to the status quo! WOOOOO!

While I immensely enjoy Azz's run, its not what WW is about.

Although I have to say, I don't care for Rucka's Year One. Its a very lite version of Perez and its too soon to have one more WW origin story in such a small time-frame. But at the end of the day, it is for the best.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kidchipotle said:

Can't hear you over the sound of Azz's Wonder Woman no longer being canon.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can't hear it over Rucka crying that his run will never be as good as Azz's.

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
    TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@kidchipotle said:

You can't hear it over Rucka crying that his run will never be as good as Azz's.

No Caption Provided

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kidchipotle said:

Read his original Wonder Woman run---oh wait you only read crappy comics so never mind.

Avatar image for deactivated-59dfd33ed3601
    deactivated-59dfd33ed3601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kidchipotle: I agree that Rucka's original make Azz's run look like a pile of dogshit.

To be fair, the only thing we can do is scream that this person did a better job than this person. It just boils down to a shouting contest of opinions. We can sit back and enjoy the character we fell in love with while the Azz(arello) holes complain and cry about what is dead and gone.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:
    @saintwildcard said:
    @rurgandy said:

Nice stereotypes, love. Anywho, I've seen some pretty bull-headed progressives and some understanding conservatives. What you characterize as an imposition to consider how others feel could easily be looked at as understanding that it doesn't always matter if you feel good or not. Which isn't to say someone is being a jerk or anything. Some stuff just is what it is. Kind of sucks, but that's the world we live in.

And screw me I guess, because it was the New 52 that got me interested in comics. That for Wonder Woman, it took something new, and different to get me interested in characters. I mean, it's cool. I don't even read WW anymore, so maybe you're right. Maybe WW fans are good as is and always will be. Because no character needs new fans or needs to find ways to appeal to modern day readers, right?

Hawk80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv said:

Because no character needs new fans or needs to find ways to appeal to modern day readers, right?

Not at the expense of the character...

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ZariusII

@saintwildcard said:
    @kidchipotle said:

Says the causal WW fan who's interest in her really only extends to her bonking a crummy version of Superman (long may he rot in peace)

Azz's run has been BTFO by plenty of runs in the past, including the divisive one by JMS. It's good, but it's nothing special

Ruka's current run on the other hand has made me, a lapsed fan, invested in Diana's journey all over again, he's made me like her once more, so mission accomplished.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii said:

Says the causal WW fan who's interest in her really only extends to her bonking a crummy version of Superman (long may he rot in peace)

Azz's run has been BTFO by plenty of runs in the past, including the divisive one by JMS. It's good, but it's nothing special

Ruka's current run on the other hand has made me, a lapsed fan, invested in Diana's journey all over again, he's made me like her once more, so mission accomplished.

I'm not even going to bother with you, just know that me and KidChipotle are friends, so stay out of an obvious ball busting match between friends.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintwildcard said:
    @kidchipotle said:

Read his original Wonder Woman run---oh wait you only read crappy comics so never mind.

I have read his original run. I read it every night... cus it helps me get to sleep with how boring it is

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kidchipotle said:
    @saintwildcard said:
    @kidchipotle said:

I have read his original run. I read it every night... cus it helps me get to sleep with how boring it is

Image result for ba da bum
    ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk80 said:
    @scouterv said:

Because no character needs new fans or needs to find ways to appeal to modern day readers, right?

Then I'll ask you this. What did Diana lose with Flashpoint? Post, realizing that Flashpoint apparently shares the same history with post-Crisis Earth.

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv said:
    @hawk80 said:
    @scouterv said:

Then I'll ask you this. What did Diana lose with Flashpoint? Post, realizing that Flashpoint apparently shares the same history with post-Crisis Earth.

She lost everything. She lost her origin, her motivation and her stature . She lost her city, her status quo and her supporting cast. She lost her intellect, her higher principles, her depth and even her lasso lost it's ability to find the absolute truth.

We're in luck though because Rucka came back to rectify the situation and set her firmly on the right track.

We've gotten a Rebirth of the Wonder Woman we know and love, as well as high sales and critical acclaim.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scorpio_cassadine: In rebuttal, I'll say that I disagree on some of your points.

What city and motivation did Wonder Woman lose? How did she lose her stature or intellect or depth?

And she got new supporting cast members and a modified origin.

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv said:

@scorpio_cassadine: In rebuttal, I'll say that I disagree on some of your points.

What city and motivation did Wonder Woman lose? How did she lose her stature or intellect or depth?

And she got new supporting cast members and a modified origin.

She was no longer the Themysciran Ambassador, she couldn't spread Amazon ideals because they had no principles beyond hating men and fighting. She lost her stature because she had no foundation, how could she espouse local values hailing from a backwards nation of rapists, murderers and baby traders?

She lost her intellect because she did some tragically stupid things, like repeatedly allowing people to stab her in the back, making the exact same mistakes over and over again, constantly losing the baby she swore to keep safe and leaving the Mananzons unprotected after it was clear they were in danger.

She lost her depth because her entire concept was dumbed down and oversimplified.

She got a new supporting cast consisting of copies of the old cast but without likability or emotional connections, gods that propelled the story and hogged the spotlight and a modified origin that turned the old one into a pack of lies, from an adulterous queen who cared little for her country.

Instead of sacrificing paradise to spread peace, Wonder Woman escaped a hell and became the God of War. The antidote to blood curdling masculinity was turned into the embodiment of it, complete with sword and shield as well as a patriarchal structure her creator intentionally took pains to avoid.

It was ultimately a betrayal of everything she was designed to stand for.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scorpio_cassadine: You make it sound like Diana couldn't figure right and wrong on her own, without being told. If the Amazons were that bad, then Diana being a better person seems fitting.

Maybe the idea that the outside world has changed since World War 1 and can maybe teach others a lesson is worth exploring?

I'll also counter that Diana lost no more intellect than the average comic hero. How many times has Lex gotten the drop on Superman or Batman been poisoned? It's how you create conflict in a story.

As far as depth goes, I liked where we were going. It may not be much to over decades of comics, considering Flashpoint lasted all of five years, but I thought it was a fun ride. Same goes for her supporting cast.

And I argue Diana took the idea of war and peace to new places with her character. It was an interesting dichotomy worth exploring.

alsummers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv: Except that Azz's interpretation didn't leave much room for exploration after he left. He finished it up pretty well. Sure, a better author could've taken his ideas and expanded upon them, but he didn't exactly leave any carrots to suggest that it needed more exploration.

DCs Rebirth is an initiative. So changes are made. If they didn't make any changes, then we'd have a weird n52 Batman continuity in which Wonder Woman is the only one not affected by the line wide event. Which would be even more confusing if it went on too long.

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv:

@scorpio_cassadine: You make it sound like Diana couldn't figure right and wrong on her own, without being told. If the Amazons were that bad, then Diana being a better person seems fitting.

Why? Why is she a better person? That has yet to be explained by Azzarello or anyone.

Maybe the idea that the outside world has changed since World War 1 and can maybe teach others a lesson is worth exploring?

No, it's not. What that is is bass akwards.

I'll also counter that Diana lost no more intellect than the average comic hero. How many times has Lex gotten the drop on Superman or Batman been poisoned? It's how you create conflict in a story.

To a point, but when Wonder Woman repeatedly makes the exact same mistake numerous times it calls into question her level of intelligence.

As far as depth goes, I liked where we were going. It may not be much to over decades of comics, considering Flashpoint lasted all of five years, but I thought it was a fun ride. Same goes for her supporting cast.

Just because you thought it was a "fun ride" that doesn't make it true to Wonder Woman's character.

And I argue Diana took the idea of war and peace to new places with her character. It was an interesting dichotomy worth exploring.

I'd argue that Wonder Woman had an interesting dichotomy as a warrior for peace since Perez and the ramifications of making her God of War was never properly explored by anyone.

Avatar image for deactivated-59dfd33ed3601
    deactivated-59dfd33ed3601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is enough tea and shade in this thread to fill up an Anti-Wonder Woman psych ward

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintwildcard said:
    @kidchipotle said:

that's not actually what happened though. Rucka's revelation (which I don't think anyone is surprised by) was that Diana's perceptions of those things was false not that none of it happened. This almost certainly means she was NOT actually the GoW or the Daughter of Zeus, but her actions and the story lines have not actually been erased from canon. Short of a line-wide reboot the ripple effects of erasing N52 would have major ramifications to a large number of characters ranging from Cassie/Donna and thus the entire Teen Titans line up to the entire Justice League. I liked Azzarello's story, but getting rid of his Origin and showing us his Amazon's are not in fact the real Amazons is an excellent change IMO.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.