Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8807 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Why are people bias against Wonder Woman?

Avatar image for deactivated-59dfd33ed3601
    deactivated-59dfd33ed3601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

This is a issue I been meaning to address and i'm sure I am not the only fan to notice. I can understand not liking the character because we all don't share the same taste and it can be for a good reason. It seems that some people hold a personal vendetta against her. You shouldn't have to broadcast your hate for her because you're not gaining anything except making yourself look pressed. That isn't even the worst part about it. You will notice the big problem if you spend time as a WW fan in the battles forums (which I try my best to stay away from but it's a addiction). There are some battles that you can just look at and already have well thought arguments as to why Wonder Woman wins. Apparently some people are just close-minded and ignore her capability when they feel like it. Most of them say this character wins and don't even give a reason why (this doesn't always happen but you will notice the trend with some users).

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She's in my top 5 favourite superheroes so I can't speak on hating WW

Redatom1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love her personally but I think people just see her as mid tier, personally I think she can beat Thor

Avatar image for deactivated-61d5b935096d2
    deactivated-61d5b935096d2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess everyone has their own reason. One of the most common ones I've heard is that she's an unrelatable icon, basically a one-note character, not human enough, that kind of thing. Most people just know her from cartoons, the 70s TV show and comics more popular than her own title, all of which represent her quite differently from each other so some people are not too sure what to make of her. Obviously these people need to read more Wonder Woman cause she's awesome.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a issue I been meaning to address and i'm sure I am not the only fan to notice. I can understand not liking the character because we all don't share the same taste and it can be for a good reason. It seems that some people hold a personal vendetta against her. You shouldn't have to broadcast your hate for her because you're not gaining anything except making yourself look pressed. That isn't even the worst part about it. You will notice the big problem if you spend time as a WW fan in the battles forums (which I try my best to stay away from but it's a addiction). There are some battles that you can just look at and already have well thought arguments as to why Wonder Woman wins. Apparently some people are just close-minded and ignore her capability when they feel like it. Most of them say this character wins and don't even give a reason why (this doesn't always happen but you will notice the trend with some users).

because she doesn´t have films and cartoons, so people still think of her as lynda carter version. you´ll see the bandwagon after her film if they do a good job that is.

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
    deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

i think it partially exemplifies why the battle forums are horrible. its people fighting about stuff they dont know because most people dont even read her comics to know what she can or cant do. then you have the fact that the writers in comics these people probably do read low ball her and dont have her do anything spectacular but fight the one female villain. also most of them low ball female characters in general for whatever reason

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By dshipp17

I don't think people are biased against her in the Battle Forums. Usually, I think the users just know more about the opposing character. People may try her comics and get turned off by them, given the blatant effort to be less male friendly; the Wonder Woman comics are not what the comic book audiance expects to see in a female lead. For male readers, runs like Messner-Loebs and Marston would work far better. Dr. Psycho needs to be her main villain. An honest critic of the Wonder Woman comics history shows her background to be confused and disorganized; people will see most of her background and further think "what the blank is it with this sudden focus on Greek Mythology?".

Comic book heroes have their main rogues, plus their arch enemies; Superman has Lex Luthor first, than about 5 other main characters like Bizarro, Zod, Darkseid, Brainiac, and Mxyzptlk, plus that one character that had an impact called Doomsday, given Superman's undefeated track record; plus, Superman coming from a generic family has no associated baggage that his character should reflect; Batman has Joker first, than Two Face, Penguin, Riddler, and Scarecrow, plus those big one shot characters like Clayface, Mr. Freeze, and Bane, given his undefeated track record; Superman has his supporting characters and Batman has Alfred and Gordon; Batman also comes from a generic family and has no associated baggage that his character should reflect; Spiderman has a set villains and supporting characters, but Marvel has other characters like Hulk and the X-men who don't really have main villains and supporting characters, and the Fantastic Four only has Dr. Doom; DC heroes all tend to have their main villains and supporting characters.

Wonder Woman should have Dr. Psycho first (perhaps working with Veronica Cale, at times), than Cheetah, Giganta, Duke of Deception, Earl of Greed, Silver Swan, and Angle Man, plus lots of big one shots like Circe, Ares, Egg-Fu, Devastation, etc; in some way or another, her supporting character is Steve Trevor active or indisposed, along with Etta Candy, the Holiday Girls, the Amazons, and Hippolyta; however, this is not the case and Wonder Woman has a jumbled, confused, and disorganized background of characters; Wonder Woman does have baggage that she should adhere to, in being an Amazon (e.g. these women have an antagonistic background with men); thus, gender politics should be throughout the Wonder Woman comics; thus, Dr. Psycho being the archvillain as the counterbalance to Wonder Woman's antagonistic feelings towards men; instead, we lack this tension in the Wonder Woman comics which would also have character development for Wonder Woman; and, remember Alan Moore's comments about including sexually violent attacks and sex crimes in proportion to crimes of violence; Dr. Psycho is the perfect villain there, but it brings territory for Duke of Deception, Earl of Greed, and Angle Man (e.g. imagine what Wonder Woman we would now have if Alan Moore started as the writer right after Messner-Loebs' Artemis Requiem, continuing to the present, with special instructions to use Dr. Psycho as Wonder Woman's archvillain).

Avatar image for theheaven_guardian10
    TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@agent41: Again you say pretty much summed up why I love Wonder Woman.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17: I'm not really sure what you mean when you say there's an effort to be less male friendly. I am a male and I do agree that Messner-Loebs' run is highly underrated, but Rucka's run is my favourite, which you seem to be implying is somehow more geared towards female readers. Could you explain why you think Messner-Loebs' run is more suitable for males than other runs, Rucka's for example? I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just curious about why you think this.

I do agree with you that her somewhat chaotic supporting cast may be a little off putting for some readers.

alsummers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By alsummers

@sisko95 said:

I guess everyone has their own reason. One of the most common ones I've heard is that she's an unrelatable icon, basically a one-note character, not human enough, that kind of thing. Most people just know her from cartoons, the 70s TV show and comics more popular than her own title, all of which represent her quite differently from each other so some people are not too sure what to make of her. Obviously these people need to read more Wonder Woman cause she's awesome.

I think this really nails it on the head here. I mean there's just personal tastes. I don't like certain heroes so I don't expect everyone to like Wonder Woman. But I think the attitude surrounding people's hate of her stems from people's refusal to believe that anyone should like her. I have more respect for someone who just can't get into the character than spouting out "there's nothing about her that anyone should ever like."

But there are a lot of problems with Wonder Woman in the writing department that I can certainly see why no one ever got in to her stories. Inconsistencies, not well balanced in popular media (why she probably needed her own Animated Series before the Justice League Animated Series came out), writers constantly changing her mythos. She's a hard character to pin down.

I usually don't like to put this out, but of course in the comic book industry we can't ignore a bit of sexism that could be contributing to some of the hate. Not all of it, but we all know it's a factor.

moi245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I believe that wonder woman although she is an icon and internationally famous ! but people other than her fans don't know much her and as @jphulk26 she is very underexposed when it comes to animated and live action movies and series so the mainstream audience doesn't know much !
    Other than that i have seen a fair share of people loving wonder woman ! so the situation is not that bad a lot of people know that she is in the same class as superman

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sisko95 said:

@dshipp17: I'm not really sure what you mean when you say there's an effort to be less male friendly. I am a male and I do agree that Messner-Loebs' run is highly underrated, but Rucka's run is my favourite, which you seem to be implying is somehow more geared towards female readers. Could you explain why you think Messner-Loebs' run is more suitable for males than other runs, Rucka's for example? I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just curious about why you think this.

I do agree with you that her somewhat chaotic supporting cast may be a little off putting for some readers.

Well, first, notice the difference in the artist that Messner-Loebs chose versus the artist that Rucka chose. Second, notice how challenging the victories for Wonder Woman was during Messner-Loebs' run versus how easy the victories during Rucka's run. But, one thing good about Rucka's run that Messner-Loebs' run lacked was bringing in Dr. Psycho; also, he had Ferdinand bunking with Wonder Woman but washed it all away by giving Ferdinand a potential love interest; one thing missing was how did Ferdinand and Wonder Woman come to know one another? There was bondage in Messner-Loebs' run, tentacles, flogging, and stress to name a few; that type of stuff was completely lacking in Rucka's run; can you not see the deliberate effort to strip away things that a male audience would have liked between the two runs? And, those are not the things that would likely be female friendly, but, stripping them away, was clearly geared to make it more female friendly; but, that process had been started leading up to Rucka's run.

Avatar image for deactivated-59dfd33ed3601
    deactivated-59dfd33ed3601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41: I never heard anything about Messner-Loebs' run or read it. I never see fans talk about it. It must not be that important if it never gets brought up.

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It's a conspiracy by the CIS white males

TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41: Again you hit the bullseye dead on.

Thekillerklok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41: Oh yes, I 100% agree with you. Just to be clear, I feel I can relate to Wonder Woman just fine. I think many comic book readers are keen to form an opinion on as many characters as possible, but of course nobody can read every title, so they just take what they do know like cartoons, the 70s show, JLA comics or whatever to try and form an opinion on her. Again, I agree with you that this is not a good reason to dislike her.

As far as Messner-Loebs is concerned, I have to disagree with the majority. I don't agree with dshipp17's position, but I felt that WML did a good job grounding her in the "real" world and gets her to engage in real issues. Also, I thought his space story was awesome and Artemis was created for the run, so while it was clearly not as important as Perez, it did create a character who would go on to appear regularly for over a decade.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By dshipp17

@sisko95 said:

@agent41: Oh yes, I 100% agree with you. Just to be clear, I feel I can relate to Wonder Woman just fine. I think many comic book readers are keen to form an opinion on as many characters as possible, but of course nobody can read every title, so they just take what they do know like cartoons, the 70s show, JLA comics or whatever to try and form an opinion on her. Again, I agree with you that this is not a good reason to dislike her.

As far as Messner-Loebs is concerned, I have to disagree with the majority. I don't agree with dshipp17's position, but I felt that WML did a good job grounding her in the "real" world and gets her to engage in real issues. Also, I thought his space story was awesome and Artemis was created for the run, so while it was clearly not as important as Perez, it did create a character who would go on to appear regularly for over a decade.

Not many people have that opinion about the Messner-Loebs run; every time I express the greatness of the Messner-Loebs run, this poster comes up with the same opinion that he didn't feel that it was acclaimed, and tries to make his opinion the opinion of the audience; it's like a broken record, but, it seems good for posters who haven't seen our many debates about the greatness of the Messner-Loebs run; one thing every Wonder Woman fan remembers is his The Contest (e.g. the introduction of Artemis) story arc. What Messner-Loebs did was as important as most of the stuff Perez did, if not more. Some people like Perez and company's style better, while some people like the Messner-Loebs and Marstion style better.

I don't see what you don't like about my position; that's clearly male centered material; it may not be the material for 100% male, but it's clearly male centered material; you could have men that is not wired quite like most heterosexual men, but, you can't help that, especially if they only make up about 2-4% of the male reader base; however, DC reacted that way, I'm just bringing up things that would have helped the character; clearly, pretty much all readers who did like Messner-Loebs have been alienated away years ago and DC doesn't seem to realize it, but, was trying to scramble with a 2-4% atypical audience of men hoping that blockbuster sales would come, when the numbers are just not there; so, you have this state where your asking people who were clearly not the type of Messner-Loebs audience about his material (e.g. the sales for Messner-Loebs were the last time Wonder Woman had lots of sales and his numbers were very competitive with Perez; Messner-Loebs had the ability to actually raise sagging sales, while all other writers, including Perez, were in a tough position that they could do nothing about, when the numbers started sagging); you can't try to focus on visual things that will work for both men and women, as the numbers will never be there; men and women are simply wired differently; and, if females want to be interested in comics, than they'll just have to adapt, is the sensible business approach to take. It's not a malicious attempt against all women to try to appease a male audience, but, DC let that mindset run them all this time, since the end of the Messner-Loebs run.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41 said:
    @dshipp17 said:
    @sisko95 said:

Well, first, notice the difference in the artist that Messner-Loebs chose versus the artist that Rucka chose. Second, notice how challenging the victories for Wonder Woman was during Messner-Loebs' run versus how easy the victories during Rucka's run. But, one thing good about Rucka's run that Messner-Loebs' run lacked was bringing in Dr. Psycho; also, he had Ferdinand bunking with Wonder Woman but washed it all away by giving Ferdinand a potential love interest; one thing missing was how did Ferdinand and Wonder Woman come to know one another? There was bondage in Messner-Loebs' run, tentacles, flogging, and stress to name a few; that type of stuff was completely lacking in Rucka's run; can you not see the deliberate effort to strip away things that a male audience would have liked between the two runs? And, those are not the things that would likely be female friendly, but, stripping them away, was clearly geared to make it more female friendly; but, that process had been started leading up to Rucka's run.

The fact that you think men can only like WW if the stories are full of sexual content is really sad. Based on comercial succes and critical acclaim messner-loebs is not the way to go since other runs beat them in both. And messner-loebs didn't bring anything important to the table. In terms of charater development they didn't do much either.

No, that;'s not what I'm saying; I'm saying the complete lack of that material is not working. And, what you would like to be the case for Messner-Loebs is not the real facts; Messner-Loebs' run, as a consistent matter, out sold every other run, including parts of the Perez run, or he would not have been the post-crisis writer who sold the most Wonder Woman material; who was on Wonder Woman longer than any other writer until Azz came within a few issues of him, even though Perez was on the book a little bit longer.

TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17: Firstly let me say that I did enjoy Messner-Loebs' run and I'm not going to comment on sales figures or whatever, you say one thing and agent41 says the opposite, you may be right or he may be right, I don't know.

I'll explain why I disagree with your position. Firstly, you talk about Messner-Loebs' artist choice, but I'm not sure that writers get to chose their artist all the time and Messner-Loebs used many artists over his run, not just Deodato. The earlier artists' styles are not so cheesecake as his.

You then say that her victories under Rucka's pen were easy, but I dispute this claim. She had to blind herself to beat Medousa, that's not easy. Furthermore, Rucka's run ended with her in many ways having been defeated, as her mission of peace had been compromised.

Maybe I make up part of your supposed 2-4% heterosexual male reader base, but I don't really see the need for excessive bondage, tentacles and flogging just because it's a female led book. I know that was part of Martson's original vision, but comics have changed a lot in the past 75 years and I am far from convinced that the lack of these things makes it not be a male-friendly title and though these things do appear in Messner-Loebs' run, they are never a main focus.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I think the problem is that if you're already a hero that's very heroic and kinda "corny" (not my choice of words) then it's hard to be accepted, but it's even harder for female characters. Look at the new Supergirl show, that show is doing everything right, that is Supergirl, and yet people are saying it's lame. Sadly it seems like there's a double standard when it comes to being heroic.

daingermouz20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably because they are not familiar with her character. I have probably only read a total of 15-17 WW comics in my life. Including the large Superman vs Wonder Woman book from the late 70's Plus I've seen the Lynda Carter show and DC's animated DVD. I know enough about the character she's a top tier characters. When I see battles like Wonder Woman vs Captain America ,Ironman. I laugh when people say Captain America could even come close to a victory against WW.

Avatar image for gustavoburciaga1
    GustavoBurciaga1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

I literally can't think of anyone who actually holds anything against Wonder Woman.

TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love Wonder Woman she been one of my favorites heroes since I was a kid, to me she is the perfect combination of. Honor, compassion, courage, bravery, honestly, loyalty, love, integrity, intelligence, fierceness, feminism and badassry.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.