Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8805 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

What should Rucka keep from Azzarello's run?

• 78 results
    Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
    SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll What should Rucka keep from Azzarello's run? (51 votes)

Zeus as Diana's father 41%
    The gods (all or nothing - Strife, Hera, Apollo, Ares, Hades, Hephaetus, etc.) 37%
    First Born 45%
    Cassandra the Mad 14%
    The sailor killing, baby trading Amazons 16%
    Orion 24%
    Zola 20%
    London as Wonder Woman's home city 43%
    WW as God of War 31%
    The bracelets housing her weapons 41%
    God Mode 51%
    Other (explain) 12%

There's no need to throw the baby out with the bathwater, what should Rucka keep?

• 
    Harun_Kurnaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Azzaarellos did all of this stuff to expand her backup and villains. And its totally worked. First born took arcs. God of Wars could takes arcs. Zeus's daughter could done the same.

If you can think in clear head you are able to see it. New ideas brouth ''Court of Owls'' and it was way better than reboot of ''Death in the Family''. So im always open to new stuff . But never forget respect . Rucka just playing the sassy boy because Dc didnt gave him WW earth one and now he is doing it on canon run.

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Okay the airs been cleared.

I think it's weird how "God Mode" is the highest rated item to be retained and it's a full 11 points higher than "Zeus as Diana's father" when the latter is the reason for the former. It's also interesting how Orion is so much more popular than Zola.

I kind of liked the dichotomy of Wonder Woman being the God of War, it raised the stakes on her being a warrior for peace. It's a shame more wasn't done with it while it was in effect.

No Caption Provided

The Future's End story referencing it was a nice start, but it fell apart in the second installment. Then Meredith Finch totally squandered all it's potential.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scorpio_cassadine: Not necessarily, berserk-mode dates all the way back to the golden age, he can scrap one and keep the other

No Caption Provided

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@archizooom said:

@scorpio_cassadine: Not necessarily, berserk-mode dates all the way back to the golden age, he can scrap one and keep the other

Yeah I know, but it works differently as a source of extra strength that's difficult to control, as opposed to a weakness imposed on her from someone else. Plus the blue lightening made it so much cooler.

No Caption Provided

But you're right they could keep it and get rid of daddy Zeus if they wanted to.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scorpio_cassadine: What you mean, I believe her bracelets held her strength in check, same as in the new 52

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@archizooom:

In the new 52 they only kept Diana's strength in check, the other Amazons don't have to wear bracelets. In the silver age ALL Amazons had to wear them or go crazy. It was as much about the insane rage as destructive power. They're women that need to be restrained or go hysterical and it has a sexist connotation. You chain the bracelets Amazons lose all power, you shatter them and they go nuts and out of control.

Diana was more about power, she was still rational, she just lost control of her strength. So the implication isn't negative, she has to wear the bracelets because she's the daughter of Zeus. God Mode is her birthright like Siracca's wind, Lennox's stone, or Cassandra's voice.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Archizooom

@scorpio_cassadine: They weren't shackled or restrained in any way, before Perez confined them to a fiefdom the Amazons were very much in control of their own destiny. Rather the bracelets were symbols of self-discipline, 'self' being the operative word. When an Amazon lost that self-restraint (bracelets) she exploded into a berserker-like destructive rage, like a Man who use their strength to destroy (Ares) rather than in the service of love (Aphrodite). Likewise in the new 52, she needed them to hold her strength in check or else she would've gone mad, Soule got it wrong. The idea behind it is that unbridled power is intoxicating and therefore dangerous

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scorpio_cassadine: They weren't shackled or restrained in any way, before Perez confined them to a fiefdom the Amazons were very much in control of their own destiny. Rather the bracelets were symbols of self-discipline, 'self' being the operative word. When an Amazon lost that self-restraint (bracelets) she exploded into a berserker-like destructive rage, like a Man who use their strength to destroy (Ares) rather than in service of love (Aphrodite). Likewise in the new 52, she needed them to hold her strength in check or else she would've gone mad, Soule got it wrong. The idea behind it is that unbridled power is intoxicating and therefore dangerous

The bracelets were symbols of submission to Aphrodite...

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scorpio_cassadine: And Aphrodite was an allegory of Love so it's like I said, their strength was bound in the service of Love (symbolized by Aphrodite), as opposed to [mad] Men who use and abuse power to destroy and oppress. That's not to say subsequent writers didn't subvert it

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@archizooom said:

@scorpio_cassadine: And Aphrodite was an allegory of Love so it's like I said, their strength was bound in the service of Love (symbolized by Aphrodite), as opposed to [mad] Men who use and abuse power to destroy and oppress. That's not to say subsequent writers didn't subvert it

Nah what you said was they were "symbols of self-discipline".

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Archizooom

@scorpio_cassadine: I know what I said and my point stands. Let me put it this way, the Amazons' worship of Aphrodite is an allegory wherein Aphrodite symbolizes Love and the bracelets symbolize self-discipline. In other words, a "good mistress" doesn't abuse or misuse her authority, rather she's loving and nurturing. By contrast, almost every villain was a cruel, abusive Master

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

All of it, build and integrate for the best possible story

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scorpio_cassadine: I know what I said and my point stands. Let me put it this way, the Amazons' worship of Aphrodite is an allegory wherein Aphrodite symbolizes Love and the bracelets symbolize self-discipline. In other words, a "good mistress" doesn't abuse or misuse her authority, rather she's loving and nurturing. By contrast, almost every villain was a cruel, abusive Master

I don't disagree, I'm only saying that's not what you said. All of it is unsavory to me. In my opinion the overarching implication is women are flawed and have to be contained or go crazy. Surely that's not what Marston meant and your assertion is correct, but to me the allegory is to women's menstrual cycles and pms and the idea of that is sexist.

vinomonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I still think that Diana's parentage with Zeus is still canon, Geoff John's wont introduce or tease Jason (Diana's twin brother) at the end of Darkseid War. I think God Mode should stick.

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still think that Diana's parentage with Zeus is still canon, Geoff John's wont introduce or tease Jason (Diana's twin brother) at the end of Darkseid War. I think God Mode should stick.

I agree.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

Think quite a bit of what Diana currently is will stick, not just because of the movie using bits of it, but because I dont think DC thinks there is something inherently wrong with Diana as she is now... its the world that surrounds her thats in need of fixing. Cheetah was mostly rubbish as she was... with the cult of hippolyta and all that, so Rucka is in the middle of trying to fix that. The other thing is the Amazons; DC may have come to admit that Azzarello's darker take on the Amazons isn't right for Diana, even if it makes sense with the raids and that, so I suspect Rucka is also on the way to changing that... maybe not a complete overhaul back to Perez or Scott's wonderland, but closer to it than it is... maybe we can get Hippolyta back as well?

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By primebonnick

God Mode- Just awesome reminds me of when Yusuke removes his spirit cuffs in Yu Yu hakusho.

Zeus as Father- Its just cool and makes sense deeper connection to the God's.

The gods- Yes keep them, but change their designs especially Hermes, Athena, Poseidon.

London- Yes she can link with the vertigo characters no need to give her a made up city again.

First Born- She needs a doomsday like adversary and her twin out there adds to this drama with this big bro.

Weapons in Gauntlets- its cool and better then her having her sword and shield all the time

Zola- Interesting character no lie she could stay around

on a side notes would have loved if they kept her moms old design of being blonde and her armour. I just liked it made her look different from Diana. Also if Hessia stay i'm all for it too (cool character).

Avatar image for deactivated-5af85f4e3dbf7
    deactivated-5af85f4e3dbf7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If God mode is kept, then it should be explained with more powers than just an amp in strength. Surely she inherited more from Zeus? I voted First Born as I thought he was a powerful adversary for WW and would provide some family politics in olympus as well as a hard fight.

JoaoPedroGomes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know. God mode is cool, but it doesn't feel right for Diana. She has an awesome set of powers and weapons, it's just a matter of how to use it.

From the list, I really think they should keep London as her base city. It just makes more sense for Wonder Woman to be in Europe, a place where old and new live together more explicitly. Also, ancient world roots are there, and Themyscira is in the Black Sea, right?

It just makes more sense. I don't think they're not gonna keep it, but it does.

Hatutzeraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought Cassandra was a cool villain. Didn't she have a blimp? Also, I loved Milan and want to see him return.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

if I could only keep two things, it be Zues's bastard and Ares.

Rosenovel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Rosenovel

@agent41: Even though I'm one of the people who hopes Ruka dumps quite a bit of the stuff from Azzarello's run I just had to say that I love your Jem gif reactions and your positivity

lowlaville

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

G mode and God of War. Although, these things have been thoroughly retconned. xD

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know. God mode is cool, but it doesn't feel right for Diana. She has an awesome set of powers and weapons, it's just a matter of how to use it.

From the list, I really think they should keep London as her base city. It just makes more sense for Wonder Woman to be in Europe, a place where old and new live together more explicitly. Also, ancient world roots are there, and Themyscira is in the Black Sea, right?

Nope, Azz's fake ass Femyscira was in the Black Sea the real thing could be anywhere.

JoaoPedroGomes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scorpio_cassadine: I think Rucka implied during Year One that Themyscira (or at least the portal that leads to it) is there

alsummers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By alsummers

He doesn't HAVE to keep anything. No one has before why should we now? Besides, if we kept everything Azz did, we'd go back to same ol same ol for years on end which ironically Rucka's detractors complain about. It's new characters, new story, same continuity, but we are moving on from the same "Gods are being assholes" tropes that just won't die with Wonder Woman. Christ, Thor has had less stories involving Norse Gods and that is saying something.

If people want to read a book about all gods all the time, there are thousands of mythology books out there, plus every damn thing written from Perez onwards. That's 20 + years of Greek Mythology in Wonder Woman stories. Wonder Woman needed to move in a different direction for once. It's like if Superman fought Lex Luthor in every issue.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#80  Edited By entropy_aegis

So um curious here, I'm just gonna ask you guys just why exactly is Rucka superior to Azz? when the question is "should Rucka keep" it to me implies some superiority. Here's the thing though what exactly has Rucka done in 13 issues that's so brilliant? especially when compared to the first 13 months of Azz's run?

Did Azz's run have controversies? yup, could/should he have used the classic cast? probably but by far his work was superior to Rucka's.

who gets a kick out of Veronica Cale and Sasha Bordeaux? They are no match for Azz's creations, Rucka just had this desire to take his pets and force feed them everywhere.

Azz gave the stories a direction, a place in the larger DCU, there was an emphasis on mythology. Moreover Azz just wanted to tell a story, Rucka just gets the job because he loves the character and because he's a feminist. He has no credentials when it comes to Wonder Woman, this guy made his name in DC through his work on the Batman family of characters, he's a crime writer through and through, his previous attempt on the character was a bust and the only actually well regarded Wonder Woman story he wrote had Batman as the leading support character.

As a Batman fan I wouldn't want Kevin Smith near that character no matter how much Smith loves him, nor would I want Frank Miller on permanent duty. Their track record to me speaks more than their love, Rucka is imo unqualified to write Wonder Woman much less wipe out something someone else did.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

@agent41 said:

@entropy_aegis: I don't think anybody should wip away established topics about any character. So azz can't avoid this bullet. His WW was not a progression. WW has to move beyond greek mythology adventures ALL THE TIME. I don't see azz run as something that gave WW a place. I mean his run was always trying to stay away from the rest of the DC universe. azz came in and told a story he wanted to tell with WW, that involved not caring about her established mythos, background and cast. So if anything he is unqualified to write Wonder Woman as well.

Azz was given a reboot, DC encouraged writers to rewrite everything. Rucka has no such compulsion, he can restore the Pre-Flashpoint mythos without entirely dismissing everything Azz did. Besides DC was planning to reboot Wonder Woman anyway and characters like Trevor weren't around in that era to even begin with. Azz had a story about myth and horror, he told it and told it well, proving that he was good for what he set out to do. Rucka though has something in mind about Veronica Cale and still needs to tell the world LOL.

Why does WW have to move beyond Greek mythology? she exists as a product of that mythology. Hippolyta, Amazons etc are all Greek myths, the only way she can move if she dumps all those concepts.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

So um curious here, I'm just gonna ask you guys just why exactly is Rucka superior to Azz? when the question is "should Rucka keep" it to me implies some superiority. Here's the thing though what exactly has Rucka done in 13 issues that's so brilliant? especially when compared to the first 13 months of Azz's run?

Think the only thing a large section of readers can really say Rucka has done 'brilliantly' is to put in doubt whenever or not the last 5 years actually happened or not. Some will be thrilled if it was because they hated Azzarello's different take on the character and her world. And some will throw a big 'sigh' because they liked Azzarello's run for what it was and because they see Rucka walking the book and character back to a previous era rather than try and build on what was already there... like every single new writer the book has had for the last two decades or so.

I personally do not see Rucka's current run as being particularly well told, because we are 13 months in and most of the basic questions are only just about to be answered. Like the Sharp-drawn 'Lies' took a massive detour with the Cheetah segment, which was pretty and well told, but appears to have very little direct influence on the main story (I dont see why Diana couldn't have asked someone else). Meanwhile, 'Year One' reads to me as mostly unconnected to 'Lies' and is actually Rucka's Earth One book that Morrison took away from him, only modified to connected with 'Lies'.

That said, the run has given us a brilliant Cheetah.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.