Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8808 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

What is the draw for Ruckas' Wonder Woman?

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ScouterV

So, I've been trying to get back into Wonder Woman. I finished up the New 52 series, and thought it was pretty cool, though I'm not a long time Wonder Woman reader, having hopped in (with most books) with Flashpoint.

So, I understand there's a lot of hype about Greg Rucka being on the book, and I tried the first three issues, including Rebirth, and I have to say that honestly, the book is pretty boring to me.

To me, the story is moving at a snails pace, and dealing with the past just isn't all that exciting for me with Year One.

But, I am curious. Is this something a new Wonder Woman reader should find interesting? What do you like about this? Would you suggest this series to a new reader of Wonder Woman? Am I merely a madman for questioning how a book written about Wonder Woman by Rucka could be anything less than Godly?

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By dshipp17

This all boils down to your taste; there's two flavors of Wonder Woman to enjoy: the Wonder Woman that Marston and Messner-Loebs produced and the Wonder Woman that writers like Perez and pretty much every other post-crisis writer is producing, including, shall we say, Rucka 1.0; Marston established Wonder Woman's BDSM or bondage reputation, while Messner-Loebs put her in stories where she didn't have easy victories, Marston did to some extent too, while to other writers are trying to pull her away from that and follow a flow without any real basis that Wonder Woman was only meant to be both a feminist and LGBTQ icon; I'm loyal hanging on, hoping to see the book return to the mold of Marston and Messner-Loebs; I want to see a focus back on Wonder Woman's weaknesses, and, I'm with Rucka 2.0, due to the promise of Dr. Psycho appearing in the Wonder Woman book, again; also, the pre-crisis writers focused some on Wonder Woman's weaknesses, also; the post-crisis are simply ignoring the issues of her weaknesses, for some odd reason. If you liked the New 52 stuff, it seems like your taste is with the other bunch, and, you just might not particularly like this run; but, this Rucka 2.0 run still has me curious to see what's coming next; it's moving slow, but slow in a way that makes near total sense. Also, what's good for me is that whether the Marston created weaknesses are still valid is an open question, except this last issue 6 wasn't looking too good for those hopes; at least, she's still wearing bracelets, but, are they merely defensive and decorative in nature now, or, do they still represent the Marston weaknesses?

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
    deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

No, you're not wrong for questioning it. So far I'd suggest Year One to someone who never read Wonder Woman and I'd suggest to look into The Lies to see if you like it. I prefer the Year One storyline. His first run is kind of overrated if you ask me but he did understand her character more or less with a few hiccups I just think his approach for her during that first run made her come off really off-putting.

I'm preferring this run over his initial one since I'm liking his Diana and he seems to have gotten a better grip on Diana's supporting cast and all. Although he isn't exactly doing anything super exciting with it. He doesn't seem to be trekking much new ground, just laying down some foundation for the future. Neither story has been particularly compelling but they do feel much closer to what Wonder Woman's world should feel like compared to her New 52 run. It really reads like a better written and slightly modernized version of Perez's WW, which I found enjoyable and liked but also I did have a few problems with that run as well.

The post-crisis run I found most compelling overall is Gail Simone's first few storylines. It hit a lot of my big check marks for Diana plus she felt very human to me in that series. She was still larger than life as you'd expect a hero to be but she also felt relatable. So I'd recommend reading that one instead if you havent before.

If you can stomach golden age comics I would also suggest reading a few since that was my favorite version of her(the bdsm stuff isn't that important. it does get a little weird and it does have a lot of significance but it's not an imperative part of her character anymore. Her creator was progressive but just like most writers back then his female characters were sexualized to his liking). I'd probably read a couple of those short issues in Sensation Comics since they are only 15 pages and like issue 21 and 28 of her actual solo comic if you care to dive into it at all.

alsummers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally, I'm giving Rucka as much slack as I give Tom King on Batman. So far King has paid off but it was a rocky start. I am aiming to see Rucka pay off. Rucka is one of those pay off writers like Johns and Snyder that it takes an issue or two for it to start rolling and then the pay off is great. And Rucka has probably getting used to writing full fledged graphic novels instead of issued comics that the pacing is probably more beneficial in trade.

Part of the pacing is the trade off timelines. We are used to titles shipping bimonthly on the DC side, but it feels like reading two different Wonder Woman storylines a month apart. I'm betting after Year One pacing will be much better.

JoaoPedroGomes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Overall, the best thing Rucka has brought in Rebirth is the traditional Wonder Woman that was lost during the long years of new 52. Yes, I love Azzarello's work, BUT his Diana felt very different from the one that came before the reboot. The diplomat princess from a paradise island was not there at all.

But for me, the best Rucka is doing is worldbuilding. Themyscira is a tricky setting to write, it can easily turn into an island of generic warriors, but he's giving the personality and complexity it should always have. Take Azz for example: there is not much of his Themyscira that reminds of a utopia, and Wonder Woman leaving it felt more like escaping hell with all the bullying, lies and everything. Rucka brings the great sacrifice that is so importante for Diana's story: the moment she chooses to leave the perfect world she lives in to try to make our flawed world a better place.

It's not so action packed or "exciting" in a traditional sense, but the price is so worth it. Year One is a book of details and peculiarities, things that are not so easily found on super hero comics these days.

Super-Wonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have to agree with WillieNotWilliam on Rucka's take thus far.
    I find his writing as a whole a little dry and this first part of "The Lies" leading up to issue 9 kind of reminds me of Azzarello's agonizing decompression model, lots of little, nicely written, moments with no payoff.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Overall, the best thing Rucka has brought in Rebirth is the traditional Wonder Woman that was lost during the long years of new 52. Yes, I love Azzarello's work, BUT his Diana felt very different from the one that came before the reboot. The diplomat princess from a paradise island was not there at all.

But for me, the best Rucka is doing is worldbuilding. Themyscira is a tricky setting to write, it can easily turn into an island of generic warriors, but he's giving the personality and complexity it should always have. Take Azz for example: there is not much of his Themyscira that reminds of a utopia, and Wonder Woman leaving it felt more like escaping hell with all the bullying, lies and everything. Rucka brings the great sacrifice that is so importante for Diana's story: the moment she chooses to leave the perfect world she lives in to try to make our flawed world a better place.

It's not so action packed or "exciting" in a traditional sense, but the price is so worth it. Year One is a book of details and peculiarities, things that are not so easily found on super hero comics these days.

This ... you really nailed it here IMO.

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
    SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SCORPIO_CASSADINE

@super-wonder said:

I find his writing as a whole a little dry and this first part of "The Lies" leading up to issue 9 kind of reminds me of Azzarello's agonizing decompression model, lots of little, nicely written, moments with no payoff.

The thing with Rucka is he's all about the slow burn. He takes a gradual pace that a reader becomes comfortable with, but not particularly excited by. Then he changes gears and takes you on a fast ride. Once the destination is reached, you appreciate all the signs you may have missed during the first part of the journey and marvel at how far he's taken Wonder Woman.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@super-wonder said:

The thing with Rucka is he's all about the slow burn. He takes a gradual pace that a reader becomes comfortable with, but not particularly excited by. Then he changes gears and takes you on a fast ride. Once the destination is reached, you appreciate all the signs you may have missed during the first part of the journey and marvel at how far he's taken Wonder Woman.

So, would a new reader just be better off trade waiting WW?

Super-Wonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv said:

That's entirely up to you. There's a lot of us here that have to have it right away, so the Ruka formula may not congeal so well if you have to wait for the next installment a month apart.
    If the fluidity of a story is best experienced all at once then perhaps waiting for it all to conclude may be the best. But it's up to you.

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
    SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv said:
    @scorpio_cassadine said:
    @super-wonder said:

I say yeah, because you're not going to get all the intricacies and gravity until it's all over and new readers may become bored with it before then.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.