Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8805 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Time Period of Wonder Woman's Origin

AwesomeHobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

State your case and/or opinion for when Wonder Woman should come to man's world. Should it be modern day? Or should it be WW2 era? Or should it be something else?

Super-Wonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the idea of a modern era, especially after a company wide reboot. . . comics or multimedia. Fresh Start, Fresh Ideas.

Not to say that there aren't plenty of plausible ways to make a WW2 theme work. It's just that every major hero comic from that era had a WW2 theme and it doesn't make a lot of sense that it sticks to her.

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 4

I like the idea of her discovering mans world in the WW2 era but not actual becoming a superhero and revealing herself until modern times.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it´s a timeless story that can be set in any era. It could be set in Victorian Era, Modern Era, During the 80s Cold War. Just like superman and batman. But I think it has more power for bringing it to a new generation if it is set in the modern era I think. I think the movie is making a big mistake by not doing so. They should have done the initial wonder woman film at the same time as Man Of Steel, but set it just before the events of Man Of Steel and made it so wonder woman and steve go on a mission where she uses her powers more covertly, so superpowered being aren´t discovered until the events of Man Of Steel. Or they could have atleast set it in the 80s during the cold war to make it somewhat contempory.

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
    SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SCORPIO_CASSADINE

World War II - For the gravitas of the fight for democracy, the Nazi villains, the Rosie the Riveter era of women entering the workplace, the old red, white and blue and it's her actual origin.

As a character she (and her costume) makes more sense as a bridge between time periods. She should encompass the mythology of ancient Greece, the 40's and the 21st century.

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
    deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I know most characters of her time have a ww2 background but for me its something that should stick

1. Firstly her character independent of anything else is pretty historically important so I don't see why history shouldn't play a role in her story to really protray how important she has been to american history and american culture

2. It allows for a way to establish her mythos in a more concrete way and that's something I think she needs

3. Her main villain is Ares, god of war, and her biggest point is to save us from ourselves(showing the harsh reality and social ills of human society) so I can't think of any other golden age character at DC that should have a connection to such an event.

3. Piggybacking off of that I also think that its much more believable for me and other readers when the person attempting to change the world actually has hands on experience with it and I think modern wonder woman shouldn't really be a woman just experiencing mans world but a woman who has lived in it for decades and has learned how to apply her unique world view(as someone who didn't grow up in a world where things like war and oppression are even imaginable) to the real world because if you give me 18 year old Diana it reads as a freshly graduated poly sci major with great theory and ideas but no practicality or application which is why Perez's ww came off so naive despite being extremely smart. I like the idea of wonder woman being experienced and mature

5. It also gives writers a lot of leeway in what story they want to tell. Diana can believably be the mythological hero, the feminist scholar, the agent, the celebrity, and etc because she's had time to be all those things and grow into the woman that she is. Writers can choose where they want to pick up and which part of her life they'd like to focus on and even gives the ability to have multiple titles focusing on diff aspects of her character if they wanted

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

World War II - For the gravitas of the fight for democracy, the Nazi villains, the Rosie the Riveter era of women entering the workplace, the old red, white and blue and it's her actual origin.

As a character she (and her costume) makes more sense as a bridge between time periods. She should encompass the mythology of ancient Greece, the 40's and the 21st century.

This is bs. If that is the case then Superman and Batman should only be set in the 1930s as well. The whole beauty of superhero stories is that they transcend the era they were invented in. The whole point of Wonder Woman's mythology is to analyze gender inequality, by sending a woman from a world where women rule themselves to a world where men are the dominant gender. If u set the wonder woman origin story in WW2, the subtext of that is that women no longer have problems and we're living in a completely equal society. To make wonder woman's origin contemporary is to make her relevant to modern society. To set it in the past as an introduction to her character in the mainstream is to make her seem antiquated. It makes no sense.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphulk26 said:
    @scorpio_cassadine said:

This is bs. If that is the case then Superman and Batman should only be set in the 1930s as well. The whole beauty of superhero stories is that they transcend the era they were invented in. The whole point of Wonder Woman's mythology is to analyze gender inequality, by sending a woman from a world where women rule themselves to a world where men are the dominant gender. If u set the wonder woman origin story in WW2, the subtext of that is that women no longer have problems and we're living in a completely equal society. To make wonder woman's origin contemporary is to make her relevant to modern society. To set it in the past as an introduction to her character in the mainstream is to make her seem antiquated. It makes no sense.

well, by your own argument WW should be able to be introduced in WW2 and that story would transcend the era once they plop her into the modern era. Personally I like the idea that WW played a role in gender equality post-WW2. She's an immortal, there is no reason she can't have an even older origin if someone chose to go down that route. In the TV show Lynda Carter's character was 2527 years old, no reason they couldn't adapt this to other media and give us some adventures of Diana from the Roman Empire or the Middle Ages ... the core of the character doesn't really change with the time period, just the types of prejudice she fights.

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
    SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:
    @jphulk26 said:
    @scorpio_cassadine said:

well, by your own argument WW should be able to be introduced in WW2 and that story would transcend the era once they plop her into the modern era. Personally I like the idea that WW played a role in gender equality post-WW2. She's an immortal, there is no reason she can't have an even older origin if someone chose to go down that route. In the TV show Lynda Carter's character was 2527 years old, no reason they couldn't adapt this to other media and give us some adventures of Diana from the Roman Empire or the Middle Ages ... the core of the character doesn't really change with the time period, just the types of prejudice she fights.

Exactly.

GoodBoy6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WW is immortal????that's new.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@goodboy6 said:

WW is immortal????that's new.

She's been immortal for decades, at least off and on ... in some versions she gave up her immortality and in others she does not. N52 Diana has been immortal since at least the time she became God of War, it's possible that she was immortal already, but I don't know that it was ever explicitly stated until she killed Ares and took his mantle.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.