Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8805 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Should Wonder Woman campaign for men's rights?

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#1 frozen  Moderator

The New-52 is what you'd call a 'clean state' and Wonder Woman is still a fresh item. For many years, Wonder Woman has been clogged down by Feminist steryotype and propoganda: though, don't get me wrong, she has had good stories but for most of the time writers tend to link her TOO much to feminism.

We are in an era to which Feminism is being overtaken by Social Justice Warrior garbage / Feminazi's - and the Feminist movement has largely made an impact, there's a reason why Wonder Woman was more of a symbol in the Golden Age.

Instead, political correctness and female power has caused a ''we hate men'' label to come around. Men's rights have been oppressed, women are now given more 'privilege' in some sense.

If Wonder Woman were to become a supporter of men's rights, then we could be looking at VERY good writing. And to top it off, Wonder Woman would gain a bigger fanbase. Now this doesn't mean Wonder Woman simply proclaims ''I support men's rights!'' --- but instead, Wonder Woman storylines are given thematic allegories for support of men's rights, rather than Feminism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Men%27s_rights_movement

johnfrank120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@frozen said:

For many years, Wonder Woman has been clogged down by Feminist steryotype and propoganda: though, don't get me wrong, she has had good stories but for most of the time writers tend to link her TOO much to feminism.

Really? I've never realised that.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 frozen  Moderator

@frozen said:

For many years, Wonder Woman has been clogged down by Feminist steryotype and propoganda: though, don't get me wrong, she has had good stories but for most of the time writers tend to link her TOO much to feminism.

Really? I've never realised that.

It becomes cringe worthy when some writers associate Wonder Woman with a Feminazi.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By dernman

Oh You've done it now. I know at least one user who's going to crawl out of the wood work with a pitch fork and torch because of this thread.

Anyway Yes and no. At first she should come from a place where she learns as much from "mans world" as she tries to teach it. Meaning she should be portrayed as having a bit of that biased/prejudice from the culture she has grown from. Then after she learns more about the world other than the singular narrow minded viewpoint of the Amazons she grows as a person making her better than the other Amazons better and the world will be better for her more rounded influence.

yeah I'm sure this post didn't help any either. :p

johnfrank120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By johnfrank120

@frozen: Can you give an example? I haven't read much WW.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 frozen  Moderator

@johnfrank120: Geoff Johns has no idea how to write Wonder Woman. Neither does Loeb, but that's what you'd expect from him. John Byrne sucks with Wonder Woman. IIRC Robert Kanigher was not good either.

johnfrank120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: I mean an example of WW being clogged down with too much feminism.

Sorry for any confusion.

DrF8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

No she shouldn't.

She shouldn't be associated with feminism or "menism" ( :D ). She's find as she is now. Leave her be.

I actually agree that now there's a "we hate Men" trend.

SerendipityMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is...is this a joke.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: equal rights ... Gender, color and sexuality blind would be a much better and realistic platform if writers feel the need to make her an activist.

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The men-hate label has always been fastened upon feminism at least since the 1920's but probably since the movement gained momentum. People just don't know how to disassociate them, it's not a recent phenomenon. I don't remember seeing Wonder Woman actively preach feminism and it's not something you guys need to worry about now because it looks as though dc has severed that connection. First they hired Brian Azzarello to scrap the feminist utopia, then came the relationship with Superman and if any doubt remained, David Finch took care of it.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drfate said:

No she shouldn't.

She shouldn't be associated with feminism or "menism" ( :D ). She's find as she is now. Leave her be.

I actually agree that now there's a "we hate Men" trend.

Which is why WW shouldn't take sides ... she's a symbol not a campaign leader. Man-haters abound out there, but typically these are individuals who don't actually understand what they are "fighting" for and are doing little other than spouting off tidbits that they've heard out of context. WW should be left well out of that type of silliness, I can't imagine her being attached to any cause that had "anti" or "hate" attached to it ... I think she would be embarrassed by some of the rhetoric thrown around by both sides of the debate. She's proven over and over that she's not a man-hater ... even when the rest of the Amazons have been shown as such.

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
    SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She was INVENTED to be a feminist icon. If that makes you uncomfortable, maybe you shouldn't read her stories.

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
    NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Stop oppressing her!

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By HumanRocket
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17  Edited By SaintWildcard
    ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:

@frozen: equal rights ... Gender, color and sexuality blind would be a much better and realistic platform if writers feel the need to make her an activist.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

@agent41 said:

@saint_wildcard: @humanrocket: What are those scans supposed to mean?. None of her detractors really know her character and background.

That's more an attack on "fans" who like her cus of her iconic status but know diddly about the character, well the one I quoted was.

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

A fictitious feminist icon fighting for men's rights -- the Feminazis are going to love that.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.