Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8807 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Should the Amazons have advance Tech?

• 76 results
    SayaOtonashi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By SayaOtonashi

Poll Should the Amazons have advance Tech? (48 votes)

Yes 21%
    No 27%
    Mystic tech that acts like advance tech 52%

The amazons I feel shouldn't be stuck in a time freeze but also feel that it should be more mystic tech acting like advance tech.

• 
    Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

I'd be perfectly willing to accept the Amazons having a mesh of science and magic in small amounts.

That said, I don't think they should just have more advanced normal technology, because being totally isolated and rarely making any contact at all with the outside world doesn't mean they are just going to advance ahead of the curve. Just look at those isolated tribes that's still living deep in the jungles around the world, they are still extremely primitive because of their isolation.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only magical tech. Which really isn't tech at all, just magic. They aren't wakanda they don't have to have fancy advanced tech, they are Amazons, they can use magic and their own powers to do stuff

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

Only magical tech. Which really isn't tech at all, just magic. They aren't wakanda they don't have to have fancy advanced tech, they are Amazons, they can use magic and their own powers to do stuff

this

SayaOtonashi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SayaOtonashi

@outside_85: I need to be more specific when I do these polls. Advance has in has time chance some of their tech chances as well. Instead of just keeping them in a time freeze let them have upgrades to their tech.

I also would like they have physical weapons but also can create mystical weapons. Such has shield from their bracelet and many different weapons .

Hawk80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just look at those isolated tribes that's still living deep in the jungles around the world, they are still extremely primitive because of their isolation.

I think this is not the same case.

A - Amazons (DC's Amazons) had a greek culture level before isolation. Once progress starts, stasis is unlikely.

B - Technoloy requires more and more energy and natural resources. They live on a island, but magic is everything you need...

C - Limited population means limited ideas, but they could take ispirations from Athena and by spying the outside world.

They could easy have devolped some advanced ideas, even more advanced than ours (es. purple ray). At the same time they would lack various things that are normal to us. And they would of course feel the need to preserve their traditional lifestyle.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sayaotonashi: Honestly, I'd rather have the Amazons being beyond belief skilled with their much improved ancient armaments than gearing them up with all kinds of weird doo-hickeys we only see in one fight. I'd rather have Amazons where Io pops out a new sword of her forge and Artemis goes out and turns a tank into building blocks with it.

It's one of the reasons I actually (as one of the few apparently) like Amazons Attack, ignoring the killer bees and how poorly it made the Amazons look, you cant deny the story cemented how dangerous the Amazons as an army actually are.

SayaOtonashi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk80: This is why the magic sphere could be a great idea. They use their mystic magic to power their own version of ours. Beside Greek did have very advance tech in it's time. Keeping with the idea. The purple ray could be a gem but the amazons create a machine powered by the magic of the gem to heal themselves or people they wash on the Island

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

No, no tech, that's just weird.

SayaOtonashi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: Do you mean no tech what so weather because that would be more weird because of where they came from in most versions or no high level tech.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk80 said:

@outside_85 said:
    Just look at those isolated tribes that's still living deep in the jungles around the world, they are still extremely primitive because of their isolation.

I think this is not the same case.

A - Amazons (DC's Amazons) had a greek culture level before isolation. Once progress starts, stasis is unlikely.

B - Technoloy requires more and more energy and natural resources. They live on a island, but magic is everything you need...

C - Limited population means limited ideas, but they could take ispirations from Athena and by spying the outside world.

They could easy have devolped some advanced ideas, even more advanced than ours (es. purple ray). At the same time they would lack various things that are normal to us. And they would of course feel the need to preserve their traditional lifestyle.

A) Actually it is when most of them can live for thousands of years, eventually the old Amazons would have to run out of fresh ideas. Like much of todays European/Western science is actually built on muslim/arab maths that had taken centuries to work out, but not shared. Europe scientifically bloomed after Spain was converted... or should I say conquered?

B) We haven't seen one single Amazon yet that was a magician. Even before FP the only one I can remember was Magala... who was considered a basket case.

C) For what reason? If the Amazons thought so ill of the outside world that they were prepared to go into complete isolation from it, why would they continue to spy on this place? Its... actually a bit like Skippy in the other thread saying "I hate the current Wonder Woman book and I wont buy it, but I still want to know whats happening."

The thing is that innovation is motivated by needs, the Amazons don't really have any needs; their land is fertile, game is plenty, weather is great, peace reigns 99% of the time. Why would the Amazons need to develop things if everything they have is more than sufficient to their needs?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#11  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    SayaOtonashi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SayaOtonashi

@jonny_anonymous: That actually can't be possible becuase of the fact even low level tech or Greek tech is tech. They can't have nothing maybe even magic tech.

Also the fact the doom it's self there should be magic tech. MAgic would be a balance here.

Akindoodle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk80: I agree with your point A.

Technology also seems to have been misinterpreted. It's anything that helps make life easier really. The wheel is advanced technology, sliced bread is advanced technology.

Amazons are based on, or at least, partly related to Greece. Greece had technology. Scorpion bombs, ballista guns, crossbows, Greek fire, the Antikythera device, triremes and like anything invented by Archimedes and others. They also had mechanical, architectural, mathematical and philosophical theories to boot.

I actually asked a really similar question last year. It's plausible that they would have advanced in an unanticipated way that is COMPLETELY different from us because they are apparently in constant contact with (... and violently assaulting...) sailors who through the eras have had everything from quadrants and astrolabes to harpoons and firearms to radio, radar and nuclear technology. Part of WW2 was fought in the Aegean sea for heaven's sake. There is NO way the Amazons missed that; they've got a shore Bay Watch (I am SO SORRY).

They might not advance the way we have. They could decide to advance bio-medically, in terms of communication, mechanically, weapons. So many options. It's such an interesting anthropological question. It's also been shown that they have quite an extensive library. They have access to information that's been lost to the rest of the world; theories, schematics, philosophies. SO. MANY. THINGS.

Nothing is stopping them save lack of imagination! (on the Creators' part)

So they should be technologically advanced past the point of bronze age technology (and may choose to stick with it, regardless though supplemented with cool concept weaponry). But in a way that is so different from the rest of the world (on account of their isolation) that they are STILL alien. They're way of life, philosphy, society should be so awesomely different and COOL.

And how is it the Atlanteans who live in the f*cking ocean are more advanced and just as isolated? Not to mention, way more xenophobic...

Hawk80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First of all, the existence of an evolved amazonian society would obviously be impossible. I was reasoning with comicbook logic, the behind atlanteans, omnicompentent physically inarrivable vigilantes, 100% human-like aliens...

A - Divine inspiration. The gods always actively supported Themyscira

B - Megala was recurring, but not the only one.

C - The desire for isolation is different from being absolutely uninterested or lacking the need to be part of a greater world.

They would work only on some things (es.: medicine) and don't care about other things (es. transoportation).

I hate every new 52 version of WW (and I won't buy it), but I somewhat follow it because I am always resistent to drop something I like even during shitty times...

Akindoodle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk80 said:

First of all, the existence of an evolved amazonian society would obviously be impossible. I was reasoning with comicbook logic, the behind atlanteans, omnicompentent physically inarrivable vigilantes, 100% human-like aliens...

A - Divine inspiration. The gods always actively supported Themyscira

B - Megala was recurring, but not the only one.

C - The desire for isolation is different from being absolutely uninterested or lacking the need to be part of a greater world.

They would work only on some things (es.: medicine) and don't care about other things (es. transoportation).

I hate every new 52 version of WW (and I won't buy it), but I somewhat follow it because I am always resistent to drop something I like even during shitty times...

I was thinking of the exact same thing. They wouldn't need speed boats or planes but would need to deal with things like broken and severed limbs often enough.

I also wonder why they need to keep buying weapons from Hephaestus. THEY DON'T FIGHT ANYBODY! The weapons they already have prior to trade should be sufficient for piracy.

And sorry but who is Megala?

SayaOtonashi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel the amazons when dealing with something like the doom gate would need something other than regular swords. Also when it comes down to it communication device with many of the amazons would make sense especially if they can't travel in current parts. There is the mind radio it could be re created has a mystical tech. I agree it shouldn't be like planes or speed boats but healing, communication. It terms of transportation horse or foot. For certain parts of the Island hard to get to that should be where transportation should be. That's my problem with New 52 they can't do anything for themselves.

SayaOtonashi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel that the amazons should have some type of lighting, I also feel that should have some kinda of building technology.So mystic tech

Akindoodle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel the amazons when dealing with something like the doom gate would need something other than regular swords. Also when it comes down to it communication device with many of the amazons would make sense especially if they can't travel in current parts. There is the mind radio it could be re created has a mystical tech. I agree it shouldn't be like planes or speed boats but healing, communication. It terms of transportation horse or foot. For certain parts of the Island hard to get to that should be where transportation should be. That's my problem with New 52 they can't do anything for themselves.

It's one of the problems I have with the actual Wonder Woman book, I like a lot of things about it. The Amazons are not one of those things. It's funny that I liked them way better when they showed up in Demon Knights. They had a HUGE library and catalogues and records and everything (Hippolyta's reaction to Vandal Savage - GOLD)

And swords seemed to have worked for them well enough in the past. The vampire attack? They hacked those mo-fos to pieces! Awesome showing on their part. Transportation to hard to get places has one answer. ZIP LINES. You can't go wrong with zip lines. Communication. As in instantaneous? Simple. Mirrors. Semaphores. Smoke signals. Greek navies used them to communicate all the time. Amazons can take it to the next level and add some bad ass toys to them... What's the Doom Gate?

Also, in regards to Amazon use of magic. I've broached a few people who reacted VERY badly. As in "Amazons are WARRIORS not magicians! Magic is for cowards! It's dishonourable", etc, so on and forth, et al kinda bad. Personally, I don't mind. In fact, handled well, I'll probably love it (fantasy fan here) but I can see some fans and indeed some Amazons treating it the way most of Marvel's Asgardians do; F*ck. No. But they need to evolve somehow at some point. They're supposed to be a society. THAT'S WHAT SOCIETIES DO. Even Geoff Johns, for all his flaws and rubbish ideas saw that the Atlantians did this. DC needs to consult a few anthropologists or sociologists or something.

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
    SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they're supposed to be a formidable, immortal, tribe of warriors, why do so many of you want them to be backwards pushovers? Wtf is a sword or shield going to do against modern weapons? Not a gotdamn thing!

You're only saying that you don't think women can have enough gumption or intelligence to create anything superior for themselves, without relying on men. You're missing the whole point of why they were created.

SayaOtonashi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep mirror would work. Also Greek did have people that were magic and priestess could be the one's with magic abilities more. Well with the Mirrors the amazons should have to think of the person they want to contact. The Doom Gate is an place of evil spirits were trapped in. As for Zip lines the amazons can't get to mountain areas but that would be cool with Zip lines. In Marston's run they had a mind radio which acted like a Skype the making them mirrors or something else would be cool. They also had a magic sphere which could go into the past,present and future. It was also a type of computer.

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think a lot of their tech should be deceptively simply looking but actually fairly advanced. There also might just be a lot of things they just prefer to do the "the old way". All in all though their tech should be better then the general population but maybe not better then the other super science going on on earth.

The one thing I'd really like to see come back though is the psionic abilities they had in the golden age. I think it really demonstrated how they had advanced in their isolation as well as offered the best explanation for diana's powers.

SayaOtonashi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Agreed their training give them many interesting skills..Their tech looks old but is it also advance. They have lights and running water since Greeks did have it. Communication with mirror although it would be nice for something mobile.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Outside_85

1) I was thinking of the exact same thing. They wouldn't need speed boats or planes but would need to deal with things like broken and severed limbs often enough.

2) I also wonder why they need to keep buying weapons from Hephaestus. THEY DON'T FIGHT ANYBODY! The weapons they already have prior to trade should be sufficient for piracy.

3) And sorry but who is Megala?

1) Fair enough, they could progress in that field, but it's still going to be limited simply due to the amount of plants they have on the island and their understanding of the world around them.

2) They do actually, but you would have needed to read Batwoman to know about it. As it turns out, the Amazons function as a sort of mythological police force who go out and either kill or capture various monsters that's growing out of control. They even have a prison deep beneath the island, where they kept the likes of Medusa and the night goddess Nyx.

3) Magala was a John Byrne invention, she's his explanation of the existence of Donna Troy, being the one that brought Diana's mirror image to life. And she's probably the only Amazon that looks like a Neanderthal :)

No Caption Provided

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Anyone remember how the Purple Ray works?

darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: wtf they got nyx but she primordial level god stronger than the Titan and Olympians

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Outside_85
    No Caption Provided

@darknightspideyfanboy: Unfortunately Nyx appears to be defeated by shining a bright light at her (which does make sense considering what she is a personification of darkness).

darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
    SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@waezi2 said:

Anyone remember how the Purple Ray works?

No Caption Provided

Prior to the comic book storyline Crisis on Infinite Earths, Diana invented the Purple Ray in order to heal Steve Trevor from injuries he sustained when his plane was shot down and he was left adrift in the sea for days.

No Caption Provided

The Purple Ray was an all-around healing device. Variations on the concept survived into Earth-1, post-Crisis post-Zero Hour and post Infinite Crisis Template:Superman Beyond number one continuities. Once it was used to revive the JSA members, who had been killed by an insane wax museum guard who had disguised himself as historical villains.

The Purple Ray is noteworthy for restoring Steve Trevor to health, as well as being modified to transfer power from many of the Paradise Island Amazons to Donna Troy, so that she would have powers of her own similar to those of her sisters. Much later, the ray started having technical problems, which caused moments of weakness for Troy, forcing her to explain her past to the Teen Titans. However, the Amazons later contacted her to explain the problem and the fact that they solved it. On another occasion it was used to revive Changeling of the New Titans, somehow increasing his powers in the process.

The Purple Ray was shown to have destructive power if allowed to overload. In Wonder Woman (vol. I) #322, an insane love-god Eros went on a rampage and set out to kill Steve Trevor. In the ensuing battle, the Purple Ray was damaged and overloaded, bursting into a destructive heat beam that caused a fire on Paradise Island. It was then repaired temporarily to heal Trevor of injuries he sustained at Eros's hands; when the mad god attempted to intervene, its healing powers cured Eros of his insanity by removing his memories of his time as Steve Trevor -- and transplanted them into Trevor. Later, in issue #328, the Purple Ray was intentionally engineered to fire its life-giving energies into a gigantic Shadow Monster sent by the Anti-Monitor to destroy the Amazon nation, resulting in the destruction of the Shadow Monster.

No Caption Provided

Post-Crisis

After the storyline Crisis on Infinite Earths, the origin of the Purple Ray underwent another change. While the Baroness Paula von Gunther was used as the creator of the Purple Ray, the origin story also involved the use of the villain Dark Angel as a reason for its creation. Once the Baroness was freed from the dark spirit's influence, she agreed to live on Themyscira (also known as Paradise Island) with the Amazons. During her time there she has worked side-by-side with the Amazons perfecting the Purple Ray to help benefit the island's people.

In this Modern Age timeline, the Purple Ray is able to completely heal a vast array of injuries, except the most severe, because repeated exposure to the Purple Ray can overtax natural healing abilities. In cases of severe injury it's possible to expose the wounded to smaller doses of the Ray during a longer period.

No Caption Provided

A "Purple Death Ray" was later introduced.After a rogue U.S. government agency attacked the island, the Amazons altered the Purple Ray to emit from a massive cannon. The Purple Ray was altered to destroy matter as opposed to heal it. On two separate occasions the U.S. government has tried to coerce the Amazons into handing over the plans on how to create their own Purple Ray technology, the latter of which included the illegal prison detainment and physical torture of Wonder Woman.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: *sigh* i hate you now if excuse me i gotta go punch a wall

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

Ancient greek tech and "magical" tech yes.

But Advance probably not unless Amazons got "Man´s world"´s tech and try get make into their style.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

doesn´t matter depends on story.

Akindoodle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: Okay. I agree to disagree on some points and I stand corrected on others.

But the police force thing - I know it's been hinted at in the WW comics but confirmation.... THAT IS COOL!!! They need to work with that way more

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By dshipp17

@outside_85 said:

I'd be perfectly willing to accept the Amazons having a mesh of science and magic in small amounts.

That said, I don't think they should just have more advanced normal technology, because being totally isolated and rarely making any contact at all with the outside world doesn't mean they are just going to advance ahead of the curve. Just look at those isolated tribes that's still living deep in the jungles around the world, they are still extremely primitive because of their isolation.

Yeah, there are existing tribes who totally isolated themselves that are very primitive, so Azz's approach could be right. But, some of the earlier principles of science are also derived from the Greeks; I can only imagine how far I could be now if I'd had an opportunity to have years of time to reflect upon what I'd just learned in all of my science classes, with all of my textbooks, with laboratories; I was coming a long ways towards a method to invent technology to surpass light speed and various ways to manipulate organic compounds; I as getting into computer programming and beginning to study metabolism; I think that I'd come along way in 18 years and I know I'd be good after about 2500 years. 2500 years ago, I know I would have been developing mathematics, organic chemistry, and biology; from the mathematics, I'm sure I could have devised some of the concepts that I know about modern physics; I can conceive myself as having invented technology to have surpassed light speed and some form of control systems, which would be a lead in to very practical computer science.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Outside_85

@dshipp17: Well the thing is that these great scientist, mathematicians and philosophers come in very, very few numbers and only when a civilization has reached somekind of golden age. And, as we have to keep in mind, there would have to be an Amazon or three with a flair and passion for these kinds of things, but if they are all like Aleka, they are out of luck. Finally there is the bit about the Amazons collecting knowledge from their raids, that knowledge might, by Hippolyta, be forbidden reading (as it was in the JL/JLU cartoon, see Fury).

About my first remark; in my own writing I've added Rucka's Io as one of the regularly appearing Amazons. And I write her as an oddity amongst the Amazons, who I just write as extremely conservative. They like their world as it is and they don't want to see it change (owing in part to the very sudden way they lost everything to Heracles). Io however is an inventor, thinking far ahead of her sisters, and has a natural talent for it, a sort of mix between Einstein, da Vinci and Tony Stark. An example of what Io can do is the Invisible Jet, which she built by noticing Allied planes flying over PI, 20-25 years later, she has her plane... only for Hippolyta to ground it out of fear it would be spotted, 60 years later, Diana steals it and the plane is remains one of the most advanced things in the sky. Io's problem however is that she is virtually alone with her inventions, because her sisters generally dont need them and are pleased enough when they can get a new sword or shield from her (which Io thinks is boring). In regards to the tech/magic balance, the Io I've written is at a 50/50 border where half her inventions are technological and the other half is achieved through magic.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By dshipp17

@outside_85 said:

@dshipp17: Well the thing is that these great scientist, mathematicians and philosophers come in very, very few numbers and only when a civilization has reached somekind of golden age. And, as we have to keep in mind, there would have to be an Amazon or three with a flair and passion for these kinds of things, but if they are all like Aleka, they are out of luck. Finally there is the bit about the Amazons collecting knowledge from their raids, that knowledge might, by Hippolyta, be forbidden reading (as it was in the JL/JLU cartoon, see Fury).

About my first remark; in my own writing I've added Rucka's Io as one of the regularly appearing Amazons. And I write her as an oddity amongst the Amazons, who I just write as extremely conservative. They like their world as it is and they don't want to see it change (owing in part to the very sudden way they lost everything to Heracles). Io however is an inventor, thinking far ahead of her sisters, and has a natural talent for it, a sort of mix between Einstein, da Vinci and Tony Stark. An example of what Io can do is the Invisible Jet, which she built by noticing Allied planes flying over PI, 220-25 years later, she has her plane... only for Hippolyta to ground it out of fear it would be spotted, 60 years later, Diana steals it and the plane is remains one of the most advanced things in the sky. Io's problem however is that she is virtually alone with her inventions, because her sisters generally dont need them and are pleased enough when they can get a new sword or shield from her (which Io thinks is boring). In regards to the tech/magic balance, the Io I've written is at a 50/50 border where half her inventions are technological and the other half is achieved through magic.

You have Io, plus the Amazon who's involved in medical treatment of the Amazons. Although it might be thought of as odd, Io could still invent, but store her inventions away, in case they're needed. The Amazon responsible for the medical treatment of the Amazons could have made amazing medical advances over time, which accounts for the purple healing ray. Although it may not be widely available, there's still a chance for technology to exist; plus, they have constant interference from Hephaestus, who provides weapons technology, in exchange for boys.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: Io building the invisible jet all by herself sounds a little far-fetched but if she's anywhere near Lex Luthor's and Hiro Okamura's 9th level intellect I don't see why can't she single handedly keep up with Mankind lol But maybe PI should just be an extra dimensional place with pegasuses, gryphons and gargoyles

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17 said:

You have Io, plus the Amazon who's involved in medical treatment of the Amazons. Although it might be thought of as odd, Io could still invent, but store her inventions away, in case they're needed. The Amazon responsible for the medical treatment of the Amazons could have made amazing medical advances over time, which accounts for the purple healing ray. Although it may not be widely available, there's still a chance for technology to exist; plus, they have constant interference from Hephaestus, who provides weapons technology, in exchange for boys.

The issue, as I see it, we dont know how conservative the Amazons are of mind. If they are perfectly happy to use herbs and prayers, under the belief that it is as good as it's ever going to get, they arent going to look for ways to improve things.

Like we have a real world example of this. Up until recently in medical history, there were no one who thought there existed such things as bacteria and that they carried diseases with them. So such things as hygiene was completely unknown to even the most senior doctors. So if you were in for an examination and he stuck a finger in your mouth, you could risk the doctor just having arrived from the morgue and had his hands all over a corpse :S

As for Heph... well that can work to the Amazons disadvantage, if they are provided the finest weapons in the land by the very best of craftsmen, why would they start looking into how to make their own when they know they cant do it better?

@outside_85: Io building the invisible jet all by herself sounds a little far-fetched but if she's anywhere near Lex Luthor's and Hiro Okamura's 9th level intellect I don't see why can't she single handedly keep up with Mankind lol But maybe PI should just be an extra dimensional place with pegasuses, gryphons and gargoyles

Well my version of Io isn't on Luthor's level exactly, but then again, I haven't seen the fans being able to decide who DC's smartest person is. Io is just one of the greatest when it comes to mixing science and magic. She is also the inventor of the Purple Healing Ray btw, but in this setting she's not gotten any help from the priestess of Apollo (who would be the healers) since they see it as a kind of blasphemy against him... and it took her around 300 years to get it done :)

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: if you look at dc's smartest people lists they consist of men and Barbara Gordon lost in the middle so why not make Io an ninth level intellect as well. The amazons would probably steal and reverse engineer artifacts from the men's world so she wouldn't have developed the purple ray literally on her own, Themyscira should have a department of technology, being that the Amazons are a nation of warriors and technology plays a major role in a nation's defense. War is a catalyst for technological progress actually, it makes sense that the amazons would at least try to keep up with the outside world.

SayaOtonashi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To you guys what tech should the amazons have? IN the golden age they had mystic computer which saw into the past,present and future. They had telepathy

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@archizoom: While the bit about war being a catalyst is very true, it might still be hampered by Amazon conservatism and perhaps a bit in the way that we don't know what they normally use the weapons on, so it might be that mans world weapons are ineffective against them, like an M16 probably isn't going to be very useful against some like say a hydra.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: But why are the amazons a conservative people to begin with? As a small nation they can't afford to be and the Classical age in Greece was a period of great intellectual, artistic and technological growth.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@archizoom: Well I would guess that (with the Perez origin in mind because its the only one we have to go on atm) that the Amazons were put on Earth by their Gods to show the rest of us how to live, so from the get go, they would be pretty confident that their way was the best one. Secondly, they are isolated, they prefer it that way, and they know they cant be found, so there's no reason for them to expect outside attacks, so it doesn't matter they only number a few thousands. And whatever is coming out of Dooms Door, is going to come at them with the same methods and tactics they used 3000+ years ago. Finally, my own theory is that the Amazons were as a people deeply traumatized by what Heracles put them through, so when they rebuilt their city, they wanted it and them to remain that way because it's their comfort zone and helps them subconsciously imagine things are just like they were in the beginning. (this is after all a people who don't have any form of psychiatric aid other than camaraderie).

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ArchiZoom
    Finally, my own theory is that the Amazons were as a people deeply traumatized by what Heracles put them through

please no, the amazons are a nation of powerful women, that just makes them look fragile.

And whatever is coming out of Dooms Door, is going to come at them with the same methods and tactics they used 3000+ years ago.

Which has resulted in a large number of casualties. If the amazons can develop technology to help them minimize their losses I don't see why they'd just rather sacrifice their sisters. Besides Themyscira might be difficult to find but it can and has been found and the more sophisticated the outside world becomes the more difficult for them to hide

SayaOtonashi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean even mystic tech that's on level with ours would work. The amazons are prison guards and bows and arrows can't take down all the creatures.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@archizoom:

please no, the amazons are a nation of powerful women, that just makes them look fragile.

Powerful, but scarred. It's one of the reasons (added Circe) Hippolyta and the others reacted so strongly to Diana being imprisoned. And why fans found it weird when Simone actually had Amazons imprisoned by Amazons.

Which has resulted in a large number of casualties. If the amazons can develop technology to help them minimize their losses I don't see why they'd just rather sacrifice their sisters.

Because they are a martial culture, therefore it's not inconcievable that they also have a great sense of personal honor. In the land of DC I would imagine that in the Greek world the top 3-list of people you didn't insult were:

1. The Gods
    2. Spartans
    3. Amazons

Besides Themyscira might be difficult to find but it can and has been found and the more sophisticated the outside world becomes the more difficult for them to hide

It's a magic island, the only people who will find it are either magic users or lead to it by an Amazon. As for finding the raiding parties... atm no one seems to be able to find that plane with an inbuilt tracker :S

@sayaotonashi: I mean even mystic tech that's on level with ours would work. The amazons are prison guards and bows and arrows can't take down all the creatures.

Neither will guns and bullets.

SayaOtonashi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: good point that's why mystic tech would work. Especially if it was god slayer weapon. To you what would work in tech for the amazons?

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: Powerful as in having the capacity to overcome fear. I don't want the Amazons to live hidden away because they're afraid of men. Raping amazons is like bribing jesus christ, it kind of should be off limits. An Amazon would rather bite her tongue and die than allow a man to rob her off her dignity. Why create a tribe of strong independent women only to have them raped and once again shamed by Heracles and his men, I mean why, of all imaginable tales of the Amazons, do one about rape?

Because they are a martial culture, therefore it's not inconcievable that they also have a great sense of personal honor. In the land of DC I would imagine that in the Greek world the top 3-list of people you didn't insult were:

The warrior's code of Honor doesn't mean a Warrior should needlessly give away his/her life. It's an honor to die in battle but not before at least trying to stay amongst the living. Warriors are prepared to sacrifice their life but not unless they have to.

Besides Themyscira might be difficult to find but it can and has been found and the more sophisticated the outside world becomes the more difficult for them to hide

Well Steve stumbled across Themyscira and Ra's Al Ghul just recently found it too, point being that Paradise Island can be found and the Amazons should be prepared to defend themselves.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Outside_85

@outside_85: good point that's why mystic tech would work. Especially if it was god slayer weapon. To you what would work in tech for the amazons?

Not the hand-held weapons department. I would imagine the ones they would have are items that do things that they are otherwise incapable of with normal means. Stuff like two way communication to the outside world, flight, and perhaps surface to orbital weapons.

As for gods-slaying weapons... I think some of the Olympians would get a little worried if the Amazons had stuff like that.

@archizoom said:

@outside_85: Powerful as in having the capacity to overcome fear. I don't want the Amazons to live hidden away because they're afraid of men. Raping amazons is like bribing jesus christ, it kind of should be off limits. An Amazon would rather bite her tongue and die than allow a man to rob her off her dignity. Why create a tribe of strong independent women only to have them raped and once again shamed by Heracles and his men, I mean why, of all imaginable tales of the Amazons, do one about rape?

They were send to be teachers, the world of men (in the eyes of the Amazons), spat it back at them, so they just gave the world the finger and went off to live by those rules on their own and stop caring if the world keeled over. As for the rape... well it just was and still is a part of warfare, and one of the reason the mythical Amazons were so feared by men was that they were every bit as brutal as they were during war.

The warrior's code of Honor doesn't mean a Warrior should needlessly give away his/her life. It's an honor to die in battle but not before at least trying to stay amongst the living. Warriors are prepared to sacrifice their life but not unless they have to.

Depends on the mentality of the people. Spartans for instance didn't consider an life complete unless they died in battle. You could be the best warrior they ever produced, if you didn't die in battle, you were a failure. (But this is an extreme). Also, I assume that keeping Dooms Door closed is a responsibility every Amazon shares and that this is what the demons or w/e are facing when coming out:

No Caption Provided

The most efficient fighting formation of the ancient world.

Well Steve stumbled across Themyscira and Ra's Al Ghul just recently found it too, point being that Paradise Island can be found and the Amazons should be prepared to defend themselves.

Steve crashed into it, Perez even had Ares sitting behind him to do that. Honestly I dont know who Ra's managed that, other than the usual bat-trumping of everyone else. As for defending themselves:

No Caption Provided

They do that just fine.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.