Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8808 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

PROOF of: Diana NOT the only child born on Paradise Island!

natvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By natvin

Ever since learning from the marston scholars that Diana was in fact NOT the only child born on Paradise Island (and that DC got it wrong when it said so in different, subsequent incarnations of WW), I had been telling people this fact. But have been getting nasty taunts from them, saying that I was crazy and deluded!

Well, now's there's PROOF that my well-informed assertion was right. Proof in the form of the old WW newspaper strips coming back into the public eye via the compilation book!

But...even before the strips, there was proof in Wonder Woman #23 for cryin out loud!! Taunting fans could've just picked up a DC Archives with that issue in it!

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It definitely wasn't the original intent of Marston's for her to be the only child, but I still think the character works better that way. To me with everyone being made from clay it made the whole thing like some freaky assembly line. Having Diana being the only one made that way makes it seem special, and helps establish what makes her stand out. Making Diana the only child on the island would have also made the coverup aspect of the New 52 origin less preposterous.

To me her growing up on an island full of immortal adults was also a big factor in Diana becoming the person she is. It was certainly her main motivation for leaving the island. Without that Azzarello had to destroy Diana's bond with her sister's so he could make her want to leave by establishing that all of the other Amazons used to laugh and call her names, and wouldn't let poor Diana play in any reindeer games.

And it might have never been Marston's intent, but when Kanigher took over it seems like it was always his intention to make her the only child. Although it's hard to say if he actively decided to change it or if he just forgot about the few little references Marston made towards any other kids. Although taking authorial intent out of the picture I think it would be fair to say that the the Newspaper strip didn't count as canon, and the one comic that actually references other children can be written off as a continuity error.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

To me her growing up on an island full of immortal adults was also a big factor in Diana becoming the person she is. It was certainly her main motivation for leaving the island. Without that Azzarello had to destroy Diana's bond with her sister's so he could make her want to leave by establishing that all of the other Amazons used to laugh and call her names, and wouldn't let poor Diana play in any reindeer games.

I think you may want to re-read the books, because the only Amazon, on paper, that's mocked or taunted Diana is Aleka who appears to also be the most prominent Amazon in Diana's life aside from her mother.

Besides, the taunting was not the reason Diana left, she had that wish before Aleka turned nasty. And much like all the other origins told since 1986, the reason Diana leaves is her own desire for adventure and godly influences.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@natvin: That's interesting to note. I had no idea.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@natvin said:

Ever since learning from the marston scholars that Diana was in fact NOT the only child born on Paradise Island (and that DC got it wrong when it said so in different, subsequent incarnations of WW), I had been telling people this fact. But have been getting nasty taunts from them, saying that I was crazy and deluded!

Well, now's there's PROOF that my well-informed assertion was right. Proof in the form of the old WW newspaper strips coming back into the public eye via the compilation book!

Actually DC didn't get it wrong when they said differently ... there are 2 options here ... 1. The newsstrips are not now and have never been part of the characters official "canon" and thus the representations don't count and 2. DC as the owner of the WW rights used their prerogative to retcon the other clay children out of her official history. There are hundreds of inconsistencies in every comic legend ... over 70s of backstory is bound to create them ... what's the problem?

natvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By natvin

It definitely wasn't the original intent of Marston's for her to be the only child, but I still think the character works better that way. To me with everyone being made from clay it made the whole thing like some freaky assembly line. Having Diana being the only one made that way makes it seem special, and helps establish what makes her stand out. Making Diana the only child on the island would have also made the coverup aspect of the New 52 origin less preposterous.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, this factor of all the amazons being made from clay and born on the island is what future creators of other female protagonists use for the mythologies of their own characters.

Just as Diana wasn't the only born on the island from clay, Buffy wasn't the only slayer, nor was Nikita the only female super spy, etc.

But they each were SPECIAL from the others, for various different reasons. But the ONE core reason for their specialness that they ALL share is what's inside their minds and hearts.

@csg_cl: I wasn't refering to DC. I was referring to the fANS.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@natvin: you specifically said "DC got it wrong" in your original post

natvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By natvin
    CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@natvin: or you just made an incorrect statement and now can't deal with it when you get called out. Only a child is incapable of admitting when they are wrong.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.