Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8808 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Orion and Wonder Woman?

Avatar image for pperspectiveandreality
    Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Please Please Please try not to rage on this thread mmkay? How would you all feel if Azzarello were allowed to pair them up? I read somewhere that he wanted to but DC wouldn't let him because of the Superman relationship. I'll try to find the link. I think they had chemistry and under the pen of Azzarello it could have been awesome. What do you think?

No Caption Provided

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

With the way he's treated her through most of the comic I doubt she'd have much interest in him that way.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

It would have been vastly better than the trite Superman/Wonder Woman romance we currently have. There would be tension, development, chemistry and meaningfulness behind it too. Plus their bickering and fall outs would actually be awesome rather than the foreshadowed one between Superman and Wonder Woman.

Pizzaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Supes/Wondy. So no.

natvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JUST TAKING their mythological names, it seems appropriate that they're together. In Greek Mythology, the goddess Diana fell in love with the demigod Orion the hunter.

jdhaddad1973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I prefer WW single or having Steve Trevor as her male "damsel in distress" ... The preoccupation with her love life is very reality TV and mindless most of the time ... Orion is a pig to her for most of their interaction which shows he's not mature enough to stand at her side.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Why are people so obsessed with WW's love life.

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam: Why do people care about the love lives of any superhero? Because the want to see their favorite characters happy. Or that they want to see them do it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam: Why do people care about the love lives of any superhero? Because the want to see their favorite characters happy. Or that they want to see them do it.

It seems like lately there is an obsession with what male hero will possess WW.

Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger:

My thoughts exactly, though I believe s/w would have been good with the right writer, I believe this would have been extremely interesting. Especially if Azzarello had the chance to write it.

Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam:

It's a relevant topic. The only reason it's discussed so much is because DC put her and Superman together.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pperspectiveandreality: Eh he didn't seem enthused about the romance between Superman and Wonder Woman so unless he's behind something in his own perceptions, he probably wouldn't be able to write as well as he did. Plus, I'm not a big fan of his For Tomorrow Superman arc myself.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

It would have been vastly better than the trite Superman/Wonder Woman romance we currently have. There would be tension, development, chemistry and meaningfulness behind it too. Plus their bickering and fall outs would actually be awesome rather than the foreshadowed one between Superman and Wonder Woman.

I believe Wonder Woman deserves the same things in a romance, except I'd substitute Dr. Psycho for Orion.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17: Um...isn't Dr Psycho one of Wonder Woman's arch enemies though? And any romantic interest on Psycho's part is part of his sick insanity/obsession with her.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@dshipp17: Um...isn't Dr Psycho one of Wonder Woman's arch enemies though? And any romantic interest on Psycho's part is part of his sick insanity/obsession with her.

Why do you consider his interest in Wonder Woman sick? Yes, he's listed as a Wonder Woman villain.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17: Not me, it's how it's written in the book isn't it?

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@dshipp17: Not me, it's how it's written in the book isn't it?

Well, not defining his interest in Wonder Woman as sick. No one wrote that Dr. Psycho is sick, since he's attracted to Wonder Woman.

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam said:

@muffin_sangria said:

It seems like lately there is an obsession with what male hero will possess WW.

Maybe for some it's like that. I don't think most fans want someone to "possess" Wonder Woman though. It might be better if the writers let her explore her love life without limiting it to superheroes. She could reconnect with Steve Trevor, or maybe DC could finally canonize her as bisexual and she could find herself a nice girlfriend.

akintoussaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By akintoussaint

@muffin_sangria: The problem with WonderWoman*Steve Trevor relationship is that to most people Steve come across as either a Lois Lane knock off (at best)or just the guy who introduces WonderWoman to man's world (at worst).I don't recall him never getting much development beyond those to options.

As for changing her into a bisexual. Was never a big fan of changing a popluar characters sexual orientation. Comes across as a cheap way to get try LGBT community to read there comics.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

If Wonder Woman was to be in a relationship with Orion after everything he has said/done in Azzarello's run so far, I would be really disappointed. The idea of a strong, powerful and beautiful woman falling in love with an arrogant, bravado filled ass like Orion would be a huge step back for the character.

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Muffin_Sangria

@akintoussaint: Well with Steve Trevor and Diana we haven't really seen them date since the cheesiness of the silver age. Their romance might have seemed a little superficial but I always saw Steve as more of DC's version of Captain America. I was kinda looking forward to them re exploring it in the New 52 but they kinda just skipped over it with the five year jump. As for Wonder Woman being bisexual I wouldn't consider it a change but rather a confirmation. For years a large portion of the fans and even writers have seen Wonder Woman that way and this would just be DC finally acknowledging that.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@muffin_sangria: Steve Trevor isnt a major player in DC, he's an insignificant character.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Diana is best alone. I hate that she's the JL pass around.

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591: Well he's basically DC's Nick Furry now so he kinda has become a major player. Although in both pre and post crisis while he was just a supporting character in Wonder Woman's comic I would still say that he was meant to be Captain America's DC counterpart. Although a depowered version of that character they still had pretty much the same personality.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@lvenger said:

Agreed,but leave it to the WW fans to complain about well everything.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

It would have been infinitely more interesting than the the soulless gimmick that is WW/SM

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis: You're telling me. The Wonder Woman forums are in disarray because of those kinds of fans.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis: @lvenger: Hypocrisy of the highest order. Let's put Superman in a swimsuit and have him play second string to every woman in his weight division, while always reminding you that he's the most amazing man on earth yet so discernibly mediocre, unintelligent and unimportant relative to women and see how long before the first complaints sprout and spread like an illness.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@archizoom: What? What hypocrisy have I performed in the slightest? There's nothing comparable with your inane and bizarre logic here. What train of thought are you following that makes out that since Wonder Woman isn't getting treated well in The New 52 outside of Azzarello, this justifies the right to get mad about it and accuse others of hypocrisy? You're acting out of order stirring trouble as you have done on countless occasions on the Wonder Woman forums and people have called you out on it just like I am here. It's a flawed example you use to support your point as well that has absolutely no relevancy to how venomous, angry and spiteful so called Wonder Woman 'fans' can be.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ArchiZoom

@lvenger: Yeah some people have but I called them out first and I guess they took umbrage. I didn't think my opinions would be well-received in a place that teems with middle aged men but by the same token and since I've witnessed people label you a troll I guess that makes two of us. Anyway, DC deal in hope and profit off our loyalty so I believe that makes my complaints legitimate but most importantly, the problem I have is far beyond Wonder Woman's portrayal in comic books, it's the fact that society condones sexism and is even quick to blame and ridicule those of us who condemn it. Obviously one of the reasons you don't complain as much is because you have half as many reasons to, you're in a place of privilege. The general attitude amongst comic book fans is that we've seen it, done it, please don't bother me with it, so tomorrow Ed Benes will still give us a bird's eye view of Wonder Girl's breasts which are the size of watermelons all because he can't be arsed to change while I'm supposed to put up with it in silence because you can't be asked to put up with me.

akintoussaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By akintoussaint

@muffin_sangria: The potential for him to be a DC Captain AMERICA is there.The problem is tapping into it when he is next to Wonderwoman.Think of it this way.While Cap A couldn't handle everything you get the feeling that he can a least hold his own in a fight and was a good leader besides.

But since WonderWomen tends to be put against high tier threats the idea of Steve holding his own against even the weakest of her enemys is laughable and he leadership skills don't get noticed because thats the role Wonder woman usually gets.

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@akintoussaint: Well it's not really about him playing as big of a role, or displaying the same level of feats as Captain America , but rather the character having very similar personalities and in a lot of ways being made in the same spirit. If I had to think of a superhero who would be a good match for Wonder Woman I don't think I could think of someone better then Captain America who I'd say is equal parts warrior and humanitarian much like Wonder Woman. Obviously the can't be together because they're from companies, and honestly I'd rather Wonder Woman date someone who isn't a "superhero" anyways. With that in mind Steve Trevor who is the personality counterpart to Captain American is actually a really good match for her.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@archizoom: No one's asking for you to put up with it in silence at all. If you don't like something, you have the right to complain about it. I do that all the time with MOS and the current direction of the DC Cinematic Universe. But there's a difference between constructive, valid criticism and outright flame baiting rants that the Wonder Woman fans do on here and other forums on a consistent basis if Azzarello makes one tweak to Wonder Woman's origin. And I'm still not seeing how I don't want to put up with your comments or why I'm being hypocritical of your views at all.

akintoussaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muffin_sangria: But the thing is would WonderWoman prefer to be with someone who can take care of themselves do to her warrior upbringing.

I mean I get with you saying but you'll think she prefer a 'superhero' to someone she has to save all the time.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35  Edited By Erik

@farkam said:

The same reason people care about celebrity love lives.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I prefer Wonder Woman date Aquaman, Orion, or Steve.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erik said:

@farkam said:

Which is? (Not trying to be a smartass here, I just don't follow celebrities much, nor do I understand why others do)

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

@farkam said:

@erik said:

@farkam said:

Which is? (Not trying to be a smartass here, I just don't follow celebrities much, nor do I understand why others do)

Because their lives are more glamorous and exciting than yours or mine and people live their lives vicariously through those of their favored celebrity (in this case, Wonder Woman).

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ArchiZoom

@lvenger: The hypocrisy is in the way some of you who've never had to deal with the crap we have to put up with every damn week, are adept at creating guilt like I'm supposed to feel guilty that pizzaman doesn't come here anymore because I complain too much about the sexist rubbish they feed me everyday. I do but it's not like I don't leave you enough space to praise Soule and whatever overhyped crap you like, I think our conflicting opinions could somehow coexist in the same space

jdhaddad1973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@akintoussaint: something WW has never needed help with is the LGBTQ community. She's a major player there even by not being LGBTQ herself. Personally, it seems obvious that WW had multiple sexual relationships with her sister prior to her leaving the island ... It's not like she had options and it probably seemed completely culturally natural to the Amazons. Trying to pander it or make a big show of it would not be well received.

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jdhaddad1973: I agree with you for the most part but I'd like to point out that if she did seek out relationships with other Amazons I'd think it would only be in the New 52 version. In post crisis there was a an age gap of a few thousands of year between her and the rest of the Amazons so I'd like to think nothing happened between her and them. Plus if I'm not mistaken she was only like 18 when she first left the island. Unless you were talking about her doing something with one of the Bana-Mighdall like her much hinted at relationship with Artemis. I'm not really sure if all the Amazons were immortal in pre-crisis or not.

@akintoussaint: That might be true of the New 52 Wonder Woman, and I'll admit there is some practicality to dating other superheroes, but to me limiting the dating pool to just superheroes seems kinda shallow to me. I think there's something nice about superheroes dating normal people. And as for her always having a save Steve I don't think that's much of a problem. He might not be quite on the level as someone like Batman, but for the most part he can take care of himself.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Lvenger

@archizoom: I'm not among those who praise Soule as you know so you don't have to include me in liking "overhyped crap" such as that.

jdhaddad1973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By jdhaddad1973

@muffin_sangria: Well it's clear even the immortal Amazon's had mating rituals between them as WW pointed out toward the end of the pre-flashpoint run. But I doubt she engaged in sex with anyone before she left for Patriarchs world as the entire population of Amazon's seemed to look at her as their daughter. The Artemis relationship is possible, but I always thought it was more fans wishing for some girl-on-girl than anything real. I haven't made up my mind yet on if I prefer the Amazons as immortals or not ... the Azzerello book hints that at least some of them are immortals (Hipolyta at least), while others are clearly more along the lines of the Bana-Mighdall tribe. I hope we get to see more of the classic side of the Amazons soon, I loved the classic greek feel of Themyscera from the Perez days. I always found it cool that when given eternity these women spent it honing all of the traditional roles of both men and women. Warriors as well as craftswomen etc ... had a powerful symbolism to it IMO

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jdhaddad1973: Yeah I know at some point during post crisis the brought up the subject of lesbianism on Themyscira. I think it would be interesting if they explored ployamoury in Amazon culture. To me it just seems likely when you have an island full of immortal Greek woman that they would be likely to form some system of ethical non monogamy.

I kinda understand that when they first started post crisis the world might not have been ready for a bisexual Wonder Woman, and when the world as more ready for that too much time had pasted and it would have been too much of a stretch to suddenly canonize her sexuality. With the reboot though they finally have a chance to do it. That why I'm hoping by when the new writer comes on and her relationship with Superman ends they finally get along to doing it.

As for some of the current Amazons being immortal I think there are two possibilities. The first one is that the original Amazons were immortal but they as they live a more savage lifestyle then the previous Amazons they still have to replenish their population. Any children they have don't inherent their immortality. The second option would that only Hippolyta is immortal. This would be because she is Ares daughter. On the down side that would bring in the whole incest thing which fits Greek mythology but most people would want in their Wonder Woman comics. On the plus side it would make Wonder Woman seem more powerful since she would be three quarters god. She'd be only an eighth mortal if Hippolyta's mother was also the child of Eurus.

jdhaddad1973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By jdhaddad1973

@muffin_sangria: I'm okay with WW being Straight, I think if they explore bi-sexuality or lesbianism with her they risk making her looking like a full blown man-hater, most writers struggle making LGBTQ women well rounded, and that will hurt the character IMO... but I like the polyamorous play for he immortal Amazons ... seems to fit with what Moulton-Marsters would have envisioned given his own polyamorous relationship. Very Utopian practical.

N52 Amazon's don't appear to be immortal, but it's not been overtly stated that they are not (that I'm aware of), and didn't Hessia comment that she is aging now that she's not on the Island? Perhaps the they live vastly extended lives as long as they stay on the island?

EDIT: Hessia and Diana discuss immortality on the Island

http://www.the-medium-is-not-enough.com/images/SMWW1_07.jpeg

I suspect Hippolyta may be a true immortal (didn't she make an appearance in Demon Nights?), but I'd be surprised if they decided to make her Ares daughter because of the incest hot button ... perhaps she's from the line (granddaughter, or great granddaughter) of Poseidon, most of his children were known for their fierceness, and I believe there are some links to being enemies with Herakles, in addition many other of his offspring were supposedly the founders of old noble houses in ancient greece. Thematically fits for her name to be from his family lineage and by being his grand/great-granddaughter it alleviates at least some of the incest (Hippolyta sleeping with her Great Uncle, maybe even several times removed, is better than sleeping with Grandpa). Or she could be the offspring of a human and a Nymph or even someone like Hephaestus (would explain some of HIS actions in the series). I really do hope we get more details on the new origin ... there could be some amazing storytelling there! Even a one-shot on Hippolyta and the Amazons would be cool.

jdhaddad1973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17: I think the word you are looking for is obsessed with Wonder Woman ... like a stalker kind of obsession, not the "wow you are pretty" kind of attraction.

veronicacris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would be interesting. It was the original Azzarello plan, before he had to change because of the boring superman/wonderwoman

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

didn't see anything romantic about them to be honest but who knows with good writing anything is possible.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.