Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8807 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

NEW 52 SM/WW HAVE A CHILD?!?!

• 120 results
    darkman61288

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@sog7dc said:

Only in a Wonder Woman forum can an adult woman while in a consensual relationship be referred to as "useful" to man when the prospect of giving birth to a child comes into conversation. Women give birth. That's a fact. Get over it. Nobody got upset when Bruce had a son by Talia. But when Diana MIGHT have one, which is unlikely, everyone loses their minds.

Talia is a Batman supporting character, Diana is not a part of Superman's mythology.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

@darkman61288:

How is that relevant at all? I don't understand the point you're trying to make. Are you saying it'd be fine if it were Steve Trevor's baby?

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By FoamBorn

@sog7dc: "she" is a character without agency, usually written by men who impart her a personality and she's sometimes "used" as an accessory in male centric stories such as sm/ww, Injustice and dozens of other comic books. She's "useful" as a motivation for a male hero, as a trophy girlfriend, useful as a child-bearer but useless as a freestanding hero within those stories.

Mightus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@foamborn said:

@sog7dc: "she" is a character without agency, usually written by men who impart her a personality and she's sometimes "used" as an accessory in male centric stories such as sm/ww, Injustice and dozens of other comic books. She's "useful" as a motivation for a male hero, as a trophy girlfriend, useful as a child-bearer but useless as a freestanding hero within those stories.

Which you have nho proof of that being true. On top of that in injustice it is elseworld and if you played the game, you'll see the main universe wonder woman put that one in her place for letting a man change her morals and reduced herself to his faithful pet.

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mightus said:

Which you have nho proof of that being true. On top of that in injustice it is elseworld and if you played the game, you'll see the main universe wonder woman put that one in her place for letting a man change her morals and reduced herself to his faithful pet.

So, Wonder Woman had her little girl-power psa-like moment in the game, how does that prove me wrong? Instead of having Wonder Woman pay a lip-service to feminism they should work on portraying her as a character that women can look up to

Mightus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By Mightus

That's what you missed from the story in the game the books lead up to. The "real" Diana had to defeat that worlds version and pretty easily while lecturing her on the path she strayed from because she fell for an evil superman. She isn't an item in the main world and has a fine relationship with superman with hints of it growing. She has been in no way recently made as a trophy in any story to drive any male character other than.....Azz books....Hades comes to mind, oh and firstborn, oh and Orion......and.....see where I am getting at here?

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mightus said:

That's what you missed from the story in the game the books lead up to. The "real" Diana had to defeat that worlds version and pretty easily while lecturing her on the path she strayed from because she fell for an evil superman. She isn't an item in the main world and has a fine relationship with superman with hints of it growing. She has been in no way recently made as a trophy in any story to drive any male character other than.....Azz books....Hades comes to mind, oh and firstborn, oh and Orion......and.....see where I am getting at here?

In the comic book her role was help push Superman past the point of madness and once that goal was achieved, Tom Tayler plunged her in a coma she hasn't woken up from. I will plead the fifth on sm/ww because you know how I feel about that heinous relationship. No one in her eponymous book claimed Wonder Woman as a trophy, Hades was her mentor, she spurned the First Born and the beautifully dysfunctional relationship brewing between her and Orion was dashed because someone else claimed Wonder Woman

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@foamborn said:

@mightus said:

In the comic book her role was help push Superman past the point of madness and once that goal was achieved, Tom Tayler plunged her in a coma she hasn't woken up from. I will plead the fifth on sm/ww because you know how I feel about that heinous relationship. No one in her eponymous book claimed Wonder Woman as a trophy, Hades was her mentor, she spurned the First Born and the beautifully dysfunctional relationship brewing between her and Orion was dashed because someone else claimed Wonder Woman

How you can say in one sentence that SM/WW relationship is heinous and then turn around and refer to her relationship with a misogynistic ass as "beautifully dysfunctional" is beyond me. While Azzarello wrote the interplay between Diana and Orion in a very humorous way, her accepting a relationship with Orion would have been the monstrosity you claim SM/WW is.

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:

@foamborn said:

@mightus said:

How you can say in one sentence that SM/WW relationship is heinous and then turn around and refer to her relationship with a misogynistic ass as "beautifully dysfunctional" is beyond me. While Azzarello wrote the interplay between Diana and Orion in a very humorous way, her accepting a relationship with Orion would have been the monstrosity you claim SM/WW is.

Because I understood Orion is not a "misogynistic ass" but a troubled man that hides his insecurities behind a blustery, macho, overbearingly confident front so, in other words, he overcompensates. Buried beneath all this bravado there's a good man and a good reliable friend that Wonder Woman met in New Genesis. She would've peeled those layers and that would've been a pretty good story in my opinion.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By CSG_CL

@foamborn said:

@csg_cl said:

@foamborn said:

@mightus said:

Because I understood Orion is not a "misogynistic ass" but a troubled man that hides his insecurities behind a blustery, macho, overbearingly confident front so, in other words, he overcompensates. Buried beneath all this bravado there's a good man and a good reliable friend that Wonder Woman met in New Genesis. She would've peeled those layers and that would've been a pretty good story in my opinion.

You could say that of any man who treats women the way Orion has treated Diana. Sure he's got the heart of a hero, but that doesn't excuse his behavior. It's actually one of the things about Azzarello's run I dislike.

No Caption Provided

<<This is never okay.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

I'm speechless.

darkman61288

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

@darkman61288:

How is that relevant at all? I don't understand the point you're trying to make. Are you saying it'd be fine if it were Steve Trevor's baby?

Yes because he is her supporting character. You made the comparison with Damien but it is different because it doesn't cross mythologies.

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: I wouldn't go as far as to label Orion a misogynist based on the way he treated Wonder Woman and the way he conducts himself around women in general. When he slapped her bum I went ballistic and so did Wonder Woman but the subsequent events changed the way I feel about Orion, and the way she feels about him. SM/WW is an entirely different matter because I don't dislike Superman or the way Superman treats Wonder Woman, I dislike Soule and Daniel's portrayal of Wonder Woman.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@foamborn said:

@csg_cl: I wouldn't go as far as to label Orion a misogynist based on the way he treated Wonder Woman and the way he conducts himself around women in general. When he slapped her bum I went ballistic and so did Wonder Woman but the subsequent events changed the way I feel about Orion, and the way she feels about him. SM/WW is an entirely different matter because I don't dislike Superman or the way Superman treats Wonder Woman, I dislike Soule and Daniel's portrayal of Wonder Woman.

so it's okay for a guy to treat her like a piece of meat as long as he "means well", but it's not okay for a truly heroic man to be concerned for her even when he treats her with absolute respect at all times? There are so many problems with that mentality.

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:

so it's okay for a guy to treat her like a piece of meat as long as he "means well", but it's not okay for a truly heroic man to be concerned for her even when he treats her with absolute respect at all times? There are so many problems with that mentality.

I just explicitly told you I don't hate sm/ww because of Superman or the way he treats Wonder Woman but because I object to Soule and Daniel's treatment of Wonder Woman in it, you know the things I've been complaining about for the last 10 or 11 months...

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@foamborn said:

@csg_cl said:

I just explicitly told you I don't hate sm/ww because of Superman or the way he treats Wonder Woman but because I object to Soule and Daniel's treatment of Wonder Woman in it, you know the things I've been complaining about for the last 10 or 11 months...

it amounts to the exact same thing ... Soule/Daniels have been the definitive team on SM/WW ... if you hate the treatment you in effect hate the relationship. I find it amazing that you of all people like Orion!

darkman61288

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By darkman61288
    CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@foamborn said:

@csg_cl said:

it amounts to the exact same thing ... Soule/Daniels have been the definitive team on SM/WW ... if you hate the treatment you in effect hate the relationship. I find it amazing that you of all people like Orion!

No it doesn't, I can distinguish between

"I don't like the relationship because I hate like the portrayal of Wonder Woman in it" [√]

and

"I don't like the relationship because I object to how Superman treats Wonder Woman in it" [x]

but I forget you have the intelligence of a chimpanzee csg_cl

of course you resort to name calling when you don't have a good argument for something ... but perhaps you should do some homework before you start attempting to hurl insults ... many chimps are basically as intelligent as a human (present company excluded of course) next time call someone as intelligent as a turkey, generally believed to be amongst the worlds least intelligent creatures, I'm sure you can relate.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/17/science/17chimp.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

As to your sad argument ... you continue to claim it's "the portrayal of WW" you dislike, but in the same thread you sit around and claim you would like a portrayal of her dating a man such as Orion. How could you possibly think a portrayal of Diana dating a man who has no respect for women would be a good portrayal?

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#121  Edited By SC  Moderator

@csg_cl: Hello. If a user insults you, please flag them, and you can address them but please avoid insulting them back, even if its a relatively more passive insult (giving an example of what is considered an unintelligent animal and asserting that another user can relate) The other user I will address in private message. Let me know if you have any questions via PM. Thank you.

Mightus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@foamborn said:

That's called Biased. And if this doesn't give you hope then nothing will... http://www.newsarama.com/22457-new-artist-brings-new-approach-to-dc-s-superman-wonder-woman.html

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mightus said:

That's called Biased. And if this doesn't give you hope then nothing will... http://www.newsarama.com/22457-new-artist-brings-new-approach-to-dc-s-superman-wonder-woman.html

I am cautiously optimistic about the new creative team Mightus, I was hopeless about the previous one. Losing Soule filled me with hope and Tomasi's interviews are quite reassuring so we'll see

Mightus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im very excited too because in truth she wasn't represented enough for a shared book and it looks like the scales are gonna tip on her side this time around.

Avatar image for gustavoburciaga1
    GustavoBurciaga1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

Hmmm no I think that might be to obvious of a conclusion, chances are they won't reveal who Wonderstar actually is just to keep people guessing.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.