Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8805 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

New 52 Amazon Origin (spoilers)

Kazuma_Bushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Kazuma_Bushi

In SM/WW #16 it's revealed they were originally pirates and thieves? And then the stuff with Circe?

No Caption Provided

I...I...I can't even with this origin.

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds badass

Edit: just read it your kinda late about the sex pirate thing and baby trade for weapon thing

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Pirates and thieves" in that they plunder ships for some baby gravy.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@foamborn: that's what Azz originally wrote.

I know, that's what I was trying to say. Nothing new there.

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

In SM/WW #16 it's revealed they were originally pirates and thieves?

Weren't the Amazons post crisis stated to just be born from the souls of dead women?

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
    SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We got more in two pages than we got in Azzarello's entire run. The new info was...

A. The Amazons were thought to be champions of women

B. They escaped their chains

C. Paradise Island was a dream of Hippolyta's

D. The island is thousands of years old, so at least some of the Amazons are immortal, along with their queen

F. Hippolyta was an even bigger duplicitous bitch than we all thought she was

Duzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well good, does that mean Wonderwoman is not really a goddess on Earth?

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scorpio_cassadine: but, doesn't it make Diana more special if she is a product of her own free will than if she is just raised to be...perfect?

Agent_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591: She was raised of her own free will in past continuity as well. She wasn't a robot.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent_z: I meant the fact that she isn't from a tribe of virtuous Angels makes the fact that she is more special. The only thing I remember her not inherently getting from Amazons is her willingness to give men a chance.

Agent_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591: The Amazons weren't virtuous angels in the past either. And their hatred of men was due to horrific mistreatment including having their city invaded by Heracles.

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
    SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scorpio_cassadine: but, doesn't it make Diana more special if she is a product of her own free will than if she is just raised to be...perfect?

No, she's not special because she has hundreds of brothers and sisters that all inherited their powers from their father, just like she did. I know that's not what you were talking about, but I had to say it.

As for the Amazons, they were NEVER perfect, but they were always admirable. The way they are now, they have NO good points. They're a backwards society of man hating savages that can't even get along with each other. The sisterhood is thrown out the window, along with everything else that made them respectable.

Diana's position is weakened too, because why should anyone listen to someone descended from a tribe of murdering snakes?

Sinisteri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And did anyone explain why the Amazons called Diana "Clay" when they knew she was not made from clay or why the gods never had a relationship with her as they would someone they had blessed with life & powers as she grew up?

And why did the Amazons hide their past of rape & murder from Diana? What was the point? And most importantly, how did Diana emerge from this horrible culture full of virtue & honor?

Hippolyta's lie has a zillion holes in it.

NYBreezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really think they were just making fun of her. Making her think she was special by calling her "Clay", which really now only belongs to Donna Troy for being the Amazon that was born from Hippolyta's statue and a baby(which got me thinking if Donna Troy is actually the baby that grew instantly fast and given superpowers because of magic and Hippolyta's statue). I'm still confused about the Amazons. Is Hippolyta and a few Amazons immortal and the rest are mortal? Is that why they have to repopulate every once in a while? Does Diana origin of being a demi-god essentially gave her a mortal lifespan like every other demi-gods? How did Diana came out of that island not hating men like a kid that was raised in a racist home? I mean I get the reason why they hate men: Herakles and his men enslaved the Amazons and rape them. But still, so many questions in my head.

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinisteri: the older amazons knew about the clay thing being fake and once again the older Amazon didnt tell the younger Amazon about the sex pirate thing and baby trading I'm guessing they had plan too since they have to keep regrowing there population since invader always kill some of them

SuperAdam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just found out about the whole finding ships and then sexing and murdering the sailors, and... just wow... It sounds more like a Men's Rights Movement parody of Wonder Woman. I mean, we can't show the Joker tormenting Batgirl, but this is perfectly ok?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.