Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8719 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

My love-hate relationship with Wonder Woman

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Boynerdgeek

I have complex relationship with Wonder Woman as a character. I like her but do not love her as much as I want it to be. Okay that maybe hard to understand.

Okay, so before anyone gets too terribly mad at me about that, I should probably clarify here: I want to love Wonder Woman. I really do, I promise. And I don’t think Wonder Woman is a bad character, and I certainly don’t think she’s a character who doesn’t have any value. She’s not a character that I will say "Comic book industry will be better without you." you’d have to be an idiot to not at least recognize her importance as a symbol and a pop culture icon that’s completely separate from her role in the comics. I get that, and it’s actually one of the reasons that she’s so frustrating to me as a reader.

For me, the problem is that Wonder Woman has been around for almost 75 years, in comics that have been published pretty consistently since 1941, and there just aren’t a lot of those stories that are actually any good. There are good ones, and there are even good runs, but for the most part, they just don’t compare to what else was going on

I realize that’s entirely subjective, and I’ll admit that I haven’t read every single Wonder Woman story ever published — though I have made an effort to read a pretty big chunk of what’s in print thanks to Chronicles, Showcases and most of the major modern runs as well — but I think that’s all part of the same problem.

If you ask me to give you a list of three or four stories that will give you a good idea of what Superman, Batman, The Flash, Green Lantern etc are all about, I can do it. With Wonder Woman, it’s a lot more difficult. There’s not as much of a consensus on Who She Is And What Her Deal Is. We can all sort of agree on what other prominent characters are about (with a handful of notable sticking points) that form a core that can stay true across different kinds of stories and different kinds of genres. I always like to point out that Batman Brave and the Bold cartoon and Batman Animated Series, and I feel like those are both equally valid takes, but with Wonder Woman, most of the time, it doesn’t feel like that core is really there.

Personally, I think it’s a case of shockingly consistent mismanagement. It starts with the Golden Age, and it’s important to remember that comic books and the superhero genre were a new medium that was being created by people who, generally speaking, had no idea what they were doing. If anything, they were taking their cues from newspaper adventure strips and trying to figure it out as they went along, and I doubt that any of them had any idea that these characters would be around in the next century. It’s a problem that’s particularly relevant for Wonder Woman because in her original form, she’s inextricably tied into World War II. She wears an American Flag, for cryin’ out loud, but unlike Captain America, who will always have that whole “Super Soldier” thing tagging along, the rest of her identity doesn’t really support it. Wonder Woman is not particularly patriotic, but that costume has stuck around in some variation for ever. So right from the start, we have this weird inconsistency, this conflict between character and design, intent and reality, and that’s without getting into anything else from the Golden Age.

Side note, I’m not a huge fan of the “New 52″ redesigns because they are almost universally wretched, but I actually do like that Wonder Woman got a costume that wasn’t so thoroughly built around that wartime imagery. It’s not perfect — I’m not crazy about the darker colours and it could use a few straps — but if nothing else, it gives her more of a visual identity of her own, rather than just putting her in the same colours as Superman

So it starts there, and in the years since, it’s just been a matter of people being constantly not sure what exactly they want to do with her. Should she be de-powered to be more relatable as a “modern woman?” Should she be an adventurer during World War II? Should she be a classic Golden Age Justice Society character or a modern Justice League hero? Is she a brutal warrior or a superhero diplomat? Is she a wide-eyed newcomer or a war-weary outcast? There’s a constant tug-of-war between different creators and editorial directions, many of which are going on at the same time, with people wanting to have it both ways. One of the best examples is how DC wants Wonder Woman to be this super important, iconic character, the third member of the “Trinity” — and with good reason; they have this hugely resonant feminist icon that they are contractually obligated to keep publishing in perpetuity — but they won’t ever commit to it. She’s don't have a second book.

Seriously: If we have Batman and Detective Comics, and we have Superman and Action Comics, and if they’re really the “Trinity” that DC keeps telling us they are, we should have Wonder Woman and Sensation Comics in main continuity (not outside of continuity book like DC is doing right now). That’s not even a question.

So guys what do you think about my problem and my complex relationship with Wonder Woman as a character. Tell me about your opinion

RealityWarper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

Her blue eyes <3

Her smile <3

Her BIG B**BS ! <3

OK.

I stop !

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Boynerdgeek

@realitywarper: so what do you think about my love-hate relationship with Wonder Woman ?

Penderor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Virgin.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Boynerdgeek

@penderor: so what do you think about my love-hate relationship with Wonder Woman ?

Night4345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Night4345

I actually agree with this.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@night4345: okay now I know someone agree with me :)

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For those Wonder Woman diehard fans , please post a comment regarding this topic

Penderor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wonder Woman is a paradox in that she's a glorified Amazon yet she's also a cog in the machine that shames strong athletic women, she's an icon of female empowerment but bows to the will of men. Wonder Woman is a captive to the system she set out to change, she's an outlier in a boy's club, a pearl cast before swine, a barramundi fish in the hands of pastry chefs. The privileged treatment that Superman, Thor or Batman receive is a luxury that the likes of Wonder Woman are simply not afforded.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@foamborn: I don't know whether I agree with you or not....For me the problem with Wonder Woman is the writer and editorial management. They seem don't know what direction they will take with Wonder Woman. That just my opinion. Again I don't think Wonder Woman is bad character. DC Comics has given more and more prominence to Wonder Woman’s warrior side, with confusing results. It’s reached the point where Wonder Woman seems like a completely different person in her own comic today than she does in her Justice League appearances, highlighting dueling narratives. The “badass” Wonder Woman’s received so much storyline reinforcement, often at the compassionate, even-tempered Wonder Woman’s expense,

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

I agree with this post. she is a proud amazonian warrior who is pretty much a fish out of water with modern advancements yet fight for the USA's ideals wears clothing similar to our flag , and it is hard to get to the core as the OP mentioned because its not really cut and dry . that being said , i like her run in N52 it stayed true to "her world" and was an awesome adventure all the way through

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soa: I don't know whether I agree with you or not....For me the problem with Wonder Woman is the writer and editorial management. They seem don't know what direction they will take with Wonder Woman. That just my opinion. Again I don't think Wonder Woman is bad character. DC Comics has given more and more prominence to Wonder Woman’s warrior side, with confusing results. It’s reached the point where Wonder Woman seems like a completely different person in her own comic today than she does in her Justice League appearances, highlighting dueling narratives. The “badass” Wonder Woman’s received so much storyline reinforcement, often at the compassionate, even-tempered Wonder Woman’s expense,

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
    deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

@foamborn said:

Wonder Woman is a paradox in that she's a glorified Amazon yet she's also a cog in the machine that shames strong athletic women, she's an icon of female empowerment but bows to the will of men. Wonder Woman is a captive to the system she set out to change, she's an outlier in a boy's club, a pearl cast before swine, a barramundi fish in the hands of pastry chefs. The privileged treatment that Superman, Thor or Batman receive is a luxury that the likes of Wonder Woman are simply not afforded.

Well said.

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
    SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wonder Woman is a completely unique character. The love of the ideaof her surpasses her actual adventures. Unlike a hero like Batman that appeals to the masses, her appeal lies in what she represents. She's much maligned, over analyzed, underestimated and disrespected but many her fans love her even more because of this. She's like a band with a limited number of fans, but those fans are extremely loyal because they know no one else understands, enjoys or relates to the music like they do.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scorpio_cassadine: don't get me wrong. I hope you understand what I'm trying to say. I think Wonder Woman is not a bad character, I just think it is the writer and editorial mistake. They seem don't know whether Wonder Woman is brutal warrior or a superhero diplomat? Is she a wide-eyed newcomer or a war-weary outcast? There’s a constant tug-of-war between different creators and editorial directions, many of which are going on at the same time, with people wanting to have it both ways

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Boynerdgeek

@agent41: I realize that’s entirely subjective, and I’ll admit that I haven’t read every single Wonder Woman story ever published — though I have made an effort to read a pretty big chunk of what’s in print thanks to Chronicles, Showcases and most of the major modern runs as well

We can all sort of agree on what other prominent characters are about (with a handful of notable sticking points) that form a core that can stay true across different kinds of stories and different kinds of genres. I always like to point out that Batman Brave and the Bold cartoon and Batman Animated Series, and I feel like those are both equally valid takes, but with Wonder Woman, most of the time, it doesn’t feel like that core is really there.

Is she a brutal warrior or a superhero diplomat? Is she a wide-eyed newcomer or a war-weary outcast? There’s a constant tug-of-war between different creators and editorial directions, many of which are going on at the same time, with people wanting to have it both ways

For example if you read different comics of Wonder Woman, sometimes she fight evil with love, peace and compassion. Some other comics, she fight evil by being judge and jury which punishing judgement to the villains. This totally feels like different character. But if you read different comicbook of Superman,Batman,Green Lantern,The Flash...They feels like same character.

Like I said, I don't think Wonder Woman is bad character. Not at all. I think, the writer and editorial have some difficulty to understand Wonder Woman 100%. But hey look I'm being positive. Like I said I like Wonder Woman but right now I have difficulty to love Wonder Woman as much as I want it to be

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

@agent41: I realize that’s entirely subjective, and I’ll admit that I haven’t read every single Wonder Woman story ever published — though I have made an effort to read a pretty big chunk of what’s in print thanks to Chronicles, Showcases and most of the major modern runs as well

We can all sort of agree on what other prominent characters are about (with a handful of notable sticking points) that form a core that can stay true across different kinds of stories and different kinds of genres. I always like to point out that Batman Brave and the Bold cartoon and Batman Animated Series, and I feel like those are both equally valid takes, but with Wonder Woman, most of the time, it doesn’t feel like that core is really there.

For example if you read different comics of Wonder Woman, sometimes she fight evil with love, peace and compassion. Some other comics, she fight evil by being judge and jury which punishing judgement to the villains. This totally feels like different character. But if you read different comicbook of Superman,Batman,Green Lantern,The Flash...They feels like same character.

Like I said, I don't think Wonder Woman is bad character. Not at all. I think, the writer and editorial have some difficulty to understand Wonder Woman 100%. But hey look I'm being positive. Like I said I like Wonder Woman but right now I have difficulty to love Wonder Woman as much as I want it to be

I know this wasn't directed at me but agent called me in his quoting of it.

Couple things.

-Brave and the Bold and the Animated series are both valid takes of a Batman almost 40 years apart.

Is she a brutal warrior or a superhero diplomat? Is she a wide-eyed newcomer or a war-weary outcast? There’s a constant tug-of-war between different creators and editorial directions, many of which are going on at the same time, with people wanting to have it both ways

She's both a brutal warrior and a diplomat. She was a wide-eyed newcomer at the beginning of Perez's run in the late 80's for a while and a little in New 52 Justice League books. I don't ever remember her being a war weary outcast. I agree with you, at least as far as the New 52 goes, DC clearly has no idea what they're doing with her. Justice League, her solo title and Superman/WW, she's different in all 3. She was fleshed out way better before the new 52.

She's not a bad character. Just bad writers.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Boynerdgeek

@pokeysteve: that is totally confuse for me who someone who want to love Wonder Woman so much. Like you said, in 3 different books, she feels totally different character. I hope the writers and editors fix the problem so that more readers can love Wonder Woman as much as they want it to. Also I really like idea of Sensation Comics but it should be better if DC editorial do the book as main continuity book not outside of continuity. For example Superman have Action Comics and Superman while Batman have Detective Comics and Batman , so...logically as DC Trinity , Wonder Woman should have Sensation Comics and Wonder Woman

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Boynerdgeek

@agent41: I think you should read this article. I don't know to explain it so I will direct link of article to you http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/09/01/which-wonder-woman-will-we-see-in-batman-vs-superman-dawn-of-justice/

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#27  Edited By Pokeysteve

@pokeysteve: that is totally confuse for me who someone who want to love Wonder Woman so much. Like you said, in 3 different books, she feels totally different character. I hope the writers and editors fix the problem so that more readers can love Wonder Woman as much as they want it to. Also I really like idea of Sensation Comics but it should be better if DC editorial do the book as main continuity book not outside of continuity. For example Superman have Action Comics and Superman while Batman have Detective Comics and Batman , so...logically as DC Trinity , Wonder Woman should have Sensation Comics and Wonder Woman

I agree. Personally, I think she is perfectly balanced in Superman/Wonder Woman. We'll see what Finch does with her.

I also agree about Sensation Comics. It makes no sense to have that out of continuity. Superman and Batman both have books out of continuity but they are obviously not that kind of book. The WW in Sensation looks just like pre 52 Wonder Woman. I dunno. DC is crazy these days.

Penderor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41: Lol? How old are you? I never said anything against her. It was towards you.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41 said:

@boynerdgeek said:

She is both a warrior and a diplomat. You can't expect her to win all her battles with love words and you can't expect her to win all her battles with violence. There must be a balance since she has both sides. I don't see a different character at all. I read Marston,Byrne, Loeb,Simone,Azzarello,Ruka,Perez. And i see an honorable warrior that fights for truth,that tries to solve things without violence if she can but is ready to go into action and fight when she has to. I see that same characterization in all her runs.

I like that her character shows different sides because that is the way real people are. We don't have just one aspect or side in our personality. There are different colors that represent the way we are.

What i like about her is that she is a symbol of honesty,determination and will power. She doesn't seem to find the place where she belongs to. She is not an amazon like the rest,she is not a human,she is not a god like the other gods,she is just herself. The fact that her journey for the truth and peace may never come to an end,that maybe she is an slave of her own cause. We can relate to that as well since a lot of us have felt trapped or insecure about our path in life at some point. And we can find inspiration in her attitude to keep on going. Be strong no matter what happens to you,don't give up. I also like her for being open- minded,her amazons are full of prejudice towards men but diana keeps an objective point of view about both sides,men and women,and that is a great example that no matter the enviroment where you were raised,it's still possible to develop a more open-minded attitude and think outside the box like she does when it comes to amazons and men,knowing that none of those worlds are perfect. I like her for being a warrior with codes,somebody that knows life is the most precious thing that you can't fix once you lose it,so she is only willing to kill in extreme situations,teaching us that taking a life should never be taken ligthly and that violence should always be the last resort.I like her for teaching women to feel confortable in their own skin,for teaching them to think by themselves,follow their own dreams and stand by themselves and be what they want to be,not what sociery wants them to be,for teaching men to not reduce women,and look at them as equals. For being a fighter and not a brawler,for outfighting her opponents instead of overpowering them,putting disipline and technique over power,things that make her an exception among powerhouses. A heart that is fearless and fierce but also kind and willing to give help even to her dealiest enemies. I see all this even in runs that i don't particulary like. So she is the same character in all her runs. Some superficial hanges happen but most of the basics and the core of the character is always there. The only few times i have seen something different is in elseworlds(and usually the purpouse of elseworlds is to show a different concept of the characters)and some issues of the new 52 Jl all of which don't represent even 10% of all her appearances.

What do you guys think?.

@zhurong@pokeysteve@outside_85@csg_cl@comicuser@theonewhoknows

Coming into this a little late ... but generally speaking I can agree with the premise of this post. I do think we've seen some characterizations in N52 (Johns) that has been rather one dimensional, but it's not vastly out of character as some claim it to be ... it's more truncated than anything so it's not really a fair comparison to other books where WW is a central focus rather than part of a large ensemble cast. All of the JL characterizations are less because of this, but that doesn't mean the are incorrect interpretations ... simply limited ones.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By CSG_CL

I have complex relationship with Wonder Woman as a character. I like her but do not love her as much as I want it to be. Okay that maybe hard to understand.

Okay, so before anyone gets too terribly mad at me about that, I should probably clarify here: I want to love Wonder Woman. I really do, I promise. And I don’t think Wonder Woman is a bad character, and I certainly don’t think she’s a character who doesn’t have any value. She’s not a character that I will say "Comic book industry will be better without you." you’d have to be an idiot to not at least recognize her importance as a symbol and a pop culture icon that’s completely separate from her role in the comics. I get that, and it’s actually one of the reasons that she’s so frustrating to me as a reader.

For me, the problem is that Wonder Woman has been around for almost 75 years, in comics that have been published pretty consistently since 1941, and there just aren’t a lot of those stories that are actually any good. There are good ones, and there are even good runs, but for the most part, they just don’t compare to what else was going on

I realize that’s entirely subjective, and I’ll admit that I haven’t read every single Wonder Woman story ever published — though I have made an effort to read a pretty big chunk of what’s in print thanks to Chronicles, Showcases and most of the major modern runs as well — but I think that’s all part of the same problem.

If you ask me to give you a list of three or four stories that will give you a good idea of what Superman, Batman, The Flash, Green Lantern etc are all about, I can do it. With Wonder Woman, it’s a lot more difficult. There’s not as much of a consensus on Who She Is And What Her Deal Is. We can all sort of agree on what other prominent characters are about (with a handful of notable sticking points) that form a core that can stay true across different kinds of stories and different kinds of genres. I always like to point out that Batman Brave and the Bold cartoon and Batman Animated Series, and I feel like those are both equally valid takes, but with Wonder Woman, most of the time, it doesn’t feel like that core is really there.

Personally, I think it’s a case of shockingly consistent mismanagement. It starts with the Golden Age, and it’s important to remember that comic books and the superhero genre were a new medium that was being created by people who, generally speaking, had no idea what they were doing. If anything, they were taking their cues from newspaper adventure strips and trying to figure it out as they went along, and I doubt that any of them had any idea that these characters would be around in the next century. It’s a problem that’s particularly relevant for Wonder Woman because in her original form, she’s inextricably tied into World War II. She wears an American Flag, for cryin’ out loud, but unlike Captain America, who will always have that whole “Super Soldier” thing tagging along, the rest of her identity doesn’t really support it. Wonder Woman is not particularly patriotic, but that costume has stuck around in some variation for ever. So right from the start, we have this weird inconsistency, this conflict between character and design, intent and reality, and that’s without getting into anything else from the Golden Age.

Side note, I’m not a huge fan of the “New 52″ redesigns because they are almost universally wretched, but I actually do like that Wonder Woman got a costume that wasn’t so thoroughly built around that wartime imagery. It’s not perfect — I’m not crazy about the darker colours and it could use a few straps — but if nothing else, it gives her more of a visual identity of her own, rather than just putting her in the same colours as Superman

So it starts there, and in the years since, it’s just been a matter of people being constantly not sure what exactly they want to do with her. Should she be de-powered to be more relatable as a “modern woman?” Should she be an adventurer during World War II? Should she be a classic Golden Age Justice Society character or a modern Justice League hero? Is she a brutal warrior or a superhero diplomat? Is she a wide-eyed newcomer or a war-weary outcast? There’s a constant tug-of-war between different creators and editorial directions, many of which are going on at the same time, with people wanting to have it both ways. One of the best examples is how DC wants Wonder Woman to be this super important, iconic character, the third member of the “Trinity” — and with good reason; they have this hugely resonant feminist icon that they are contractually obligated to keep publishing in perpetuity — but they won’t ever commit to it. She’s don't have a second book.

Seriously: If we have Batman and Detective Comics, and we have Superman and Action Comics, and if they’re really the “Trinity” that DC keeps telling us they are, we should have Wonder Woman and Sensation Comics in main continuity (not outside of continuity book like DC is doing right now). That’s not even a question.

So guys what do you think about my problem and my complex relationship with Wonder Woman as a character. Tell me about your opinion

A few thoughts here as I'm going back to read your original post (very thoughtful by the way)

I agree that WW has nearly always been mismanaged as a character. Marston had a vision and was given pretty much carte blanche to do as he please for the 5 years he wrote her during the GA ... in fact he and artist HG Peter had nearly 100% exclusive control over the character in all her appearances. This was both boon and bust for Diana IMO.

The boon is the incredible amount of consistency she had during her first 5 year. Her purpose and her activities were clear as day, despite the innuendo Marston wove into pretty nearly everything he wrote, at the end of the day WW was an American (albeit adopted) hero, she showed girls that they didn't have to be what society told them to be, she fought Nazis because they were evil and she believed in reforming criminals before that was cool. Her Amazon sisters were a personification of women at their best (through the eyes of the author) and her worldview reflected that society. The bust was that when Marston died his vision went with him. Kanigher immediately came under fire because of the overt sexual/bondage/lesbian themes in Marston's work and pretty much immediately went to work taking those themes out to appease the CCA. He reimagined the Amazons and stripped them of their individual power (originally they were all like WW, she was just the most skilled of them).

The depiction of WW under Kanigher took a nearly 180 degree shift as WW suddenly became a romance type comic filled with typical "good girls should" messages. Fans, even back then, rebelled, but not before a new generation of readers took root and saw her as she was for the SA. Kanigher rehashed the same stories over and over with very little truly new material for roughly 20 years before DC decided to take a risk by making sweeping changes under O'Neal. This is when the feminists really jumped into the conversation ... Gloria Steinem and her brand of feminism took possession of WW in many ways when they began protesting what had happened to her (depowered etc) ... and they weren't all wrong IMO (overrating yes, but there were some excellent points they brought up). This happened to coincide with the CCA's starting to lose influence and stepping out of the Silver Age ... some of the WW stories from this time are quite good actually, if derivative of other fiction (12 labors). IMO this era was truly the beginning of modern "Super Heroes" Marvel and DC began telling better stories across the board and developed characters in new ways.

Crisis on Infinite Earths was a direct result of this shift. When Perez took the reigns of the new WW he made some huge shifts to who she was and what she stood for ... not all of these were for the best in the long run, but his writing was so good that it didn't much matter, at least until later writers decided to put their "stamp" on WW ... we started seeing shift after shift after shift to how she was portrayed and depending on the writer different aspects were played up or eliminated etc ... Perez was the first to really give the Amazon's a darker history (rape, captivity, being the reborn souls of women who died of violence) and that worked in his story, but it also set Diana down a much more violent path. Now the Amazons were more of a warrior culture than they had ever been under Marston or Kaniger ... eventually this led to her being the hero that killed her enemies rather than the hero who reformed her enemies. Azzarello and the N52 have taken this even further ... Johns depiction in JL is so limited in scope that we hardly see anything beyond her warrior side. Azzarello shows us more aspects, but his Amazon's are warlike and xenophobic to the extreme.

With all that said, I don't buy into any of the anti-feminist thought process people throw out on these forums. It's a clear progression the characterization makes over the course of her long and winding history. DC has been forced in the past to tone back some of her basic themes and has sadly disavowed her origins for decades at a time due to cultural backlash, and in today's age I believe WW can stand out as a beacon of equality without having to beat people over the head with every bit of feminist propaganda out there ... she can wear high heels and makeup and be girly if the occasion calls for it she doesn't always have to be 10x better than any given male just to prove that a woman can be as capable as a man. Insisting that WW has to be better than her male counterparts is just a simple minded illustration of being personally insecure with the equality of women in our society.

There is plenty of room for WW to be a "badass" warrior woman and still have the heart of a reformer of criminals and a kind and gentle heart and be a fighter for peace.

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Saint_Sophie

@foamborn said:

Wonder Woman is a paradox in that she's a glorified Amazon yet she's also a cog in the machine that shames strong athletic women, she's an icon of female empowerment but bows to the will of men.

Your statement reminded me of this..

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think that's a metaphor for marital dependency in the <1940's where upon marriage, women relinquished their freedom leaving them at their husband's mercy. If an Amazon allowed a man to chain her cuffs (consent to marriage) she'd become as powerless (dependent) as a housewife.

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@foamborn: Interesting. I always interpreted that weakness as a reminder to the fact that no how strong or powerful Wondy may be, it's still a male dominated world.

Or basically I'm saying that when they became powerless when being bound by a man it was a way to keep them in line by their male "superiors", because once they were bound they lost all their freedom and were forced to submit to the will of their captor (essentially yes like marriage).

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First comment is best, her eyes, her smile, her butt, her boobs :D Batman and Diana my favorite DC characters.

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soa said:

I agree with this post. she is a proud amazonian warrior who is pretty much a fish out of water with modern advancements yet fight for the USA's ideals wears clothing similar to our flag , and it is hard to get to the core as the OP mentioned because its not really cut and dry . that being said , i like her run in N52 it stayed true to "her world" and was an awesome adventure all the way through

She definetely doesn't fight for USA's ideals. Last time I read Wonder Woman she wasn't fighting for death, poverty, genocide and oil.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SoA

@bigcimmerian: you apparently missed the one-shot where she is running as a republican candidate

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@foamborn: Interesting. I always interpreted that weakness as a reminder to the fact that no how strong or powerful Wondy may be, it's still a male dominated world.

Or basically I'm saying that when they became powerless when being bound by a man it was a way to keep them in line by their male "superiors", because once they were bound they lost all their freedom and were forced to submit to the will of their captor (essentially yes like marriage).

I thought something along those lines before I read more about Marston so you're not the only one ;)

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_sophie: yet it is also a weakness that shows that a woman must allow her own captivity. It's actually an early example of feminist thought process. Essentially saying a woman is as free as she allows herself to be. But relinquishing that freedom has a price.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.