Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8808 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

is wonder woman treared poorly?

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#351  Edited By gokuwarrior

@darkman61288: in the meantime,can you explain why every comic female isn't promoted more,why most of them are shadows behind a man,why they don't get the credict they deserve?,they all need to change?,or is that there is still sexism in comics?,i think the answer is the second,that's why mangas are above comics right now,they took things to the next level,sailor moon is like wonder woman in many ways,the costume,the tiara as a weapon,both are princesses,the most powerful of all their people,they are honorable,compassionate etc,etc,but sailor moon was expanded to more media outside manga,and that's why even without a movie,she is one of the most successful females of all time,and has sold more than any comic female,while females in comics are still shadows next to the main male characters in their respective universes.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#352  Edited By Pokeysteve

@darkman61288 said:

Well we will find out in future, if they kept wonder woman the way she is and she gets more popular and has a sucessful film then I will say I am wrong, but if they dont change her and she is unsucessful or they change her I like I said and she becoms more popular, then I will be right.

If ever get around around to putting her in a film, I can almost guarantee you they'll change her. Warner Bros has no freakin clue what to do with their characters. Only thing we can do is hope for the best.

Sling Shot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#353  Edited By Sling Shot

I still like this more greek myth centric take on WW better than previous takes. Im familiar with 70s 80s 90s 2000's+ versions of her..fyi

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#354  Edited By jphulk26

@gokuwarrior: @gokuwarrior said:

@jphulk26: i said comic females,how many marvel or DC females were successful with their movies?,nobody,wonder woman comic from 2006-2009 was successful,many of her issues sold 60.000 in the US,plust the sales of the resst of the world,she could have sold even more with more promotion and exposure outside the comics,like a run being atapted into an animated series.

and wonder woman has a vulnerability against piercing weapons but she is very durable against everything else.

I know she´s really durable, and I know she can slug it out with the best of them, but she does have weaknesses. Magic weapons harm her, all though she´s incredibly strong Krytonian level strength and durability is beyond her, she can be pierced or stabbed, people can use her friends or the weak to get to her etc, toxins or poisons can also harm her so she does have weaknesses. I don´t think she needs depowering is what I´m saying. I like her because often when faced with stronger opponents she uses her warrior skill, strategy and wisdom to defeat them. She can out smart and out fight those more powerful than her and thats why she´s cool, but come on I know how powerful she is and how DC are always depowering her. It pisses me off just as much. Her magic weapons aren´t used often enough like her sword of haefestus that split an atom and cut even the most invulnerable beings, her ability to empathise with animals and use animals of the hunt like wolfs and eagles as part of her strategy isn´t used enough, the fact that psychic illusions can´t be used against her, her healing ability given to her by Gaiae, where she can purify herself if she merges with the Earth, but only if its actual Earth, that is never used, which is why her durability being less makes sense and the fact she can be pierced by bullets and stuff, cause she´s suppossed to have a high healing factor, sometimes they make it so she can´t fly, an invisible jet is suppossedly stupid because she can fly so they say she doesn´t need it, ignoring the fact though that its actually stupid that Superman flies Lois Lane right into high altitudes in heights of the atmosphere where the air is so thin it would kill her or any other normal human being, so in fact it makes sense if Wonder woman wants to fly others apart from her self that she has transport. It could be repackaged as a stealth jet as well she could use it on missions where she doesn´t want to be detected, so I don´t see the problem with it coming out every once in a while without embarrassing sniggers, why is Batmans Bat plane so cool but a stealth jet isn´t. She also has the ability to mimic other people voices like Terminator robot, again a power never used, that could be a useful power in terms of infiltration and covert operations. It is not silly in the slightest either, but people say it is when it comes to WW, but when The Terminator does it, somehow it magically becomes cool. People have a problem with powerful women, especially comic fans and writers for some reason. I think WW powers and vulnerabilities are just fine and if her full power set was used more often people would see just how different she is from Superman. But of course writers mocking laugh, "oh wonder talks to animals, how lame" and I just say sacastically "Yeah, so lame that she can use her communian with Earth and nature, to gain the assistance of all hunting animals, so if she needs she can set a pack wolves on you or sharks. Yeah totally lame power." or "again "stealth jet" people start smirking - why? - I ask if you could own a stealth jet, packed with weapons, that you could control with your mind, would you rather have that or the bat mobile? Again mimicking others voices is mocked, and then I remind them how useful that can be like how terminator used it, and in fact I remind them how silly Supermans freeze breath is on first thought, but actually its a very useful power in application. My point is WW has vulnerabilities that differ her power set from superman, that are consistent with the character and that I personally like, because if written properly it presents her with obstacles, puts her in peril, and allows her to use other methods than brute strength like her fighting style and strategy to take out opponents. @darkman61288: @Pokeysteve: @knighthood:

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#355  Edited By Pokeysteve

@jphulk26: Great post. Especially this part:

I like her because often when faced with stronger opponents she uses her warrior skill, strategy and wisdom to defeat them. She can out smart and out fight those more powerful than her and thats why she´s cool
    PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#356  Edited By PowerHerc

I think she's treated quite well.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#357  Edited By jphulk26

@darkman61288: @darkman61288 said:

Well we will find out in future, if they kept wonder woman the way she is and she gets more popular and has a sucessful film then I will say I am wrong, but if they dont change her and she is unsucessful or they change her I like I said and she becoms more popular, then I will be right.

@Pokeysteve: @gokuwarrior: Darkman when this does fail, which it looks like this new take as, what pisses me off about DC, is they´re not going to blame themselves, they´ll say oh its Wonder Woman, she just doesn´t sell. Which is very stupid. I mean DC writers go on line and do interviews where they openly diss her (By the way from the incredibly enlightened view point of openly admitting they´ve never read anything of hers). If I was a DC CEO and I heard one of my staff was openly dissing one of my main products on line, I´d give them a verbal warning to keep their opinions to themselves. I mean could you imagine you went to a resteraunt and the waiter was just dissing the whole menu, "no you won´t like that dish", he´d be fired. In the same way movie stars when promoting their films always have to pretend like its the best film in the world. Its just very poor the way she is treated and viewed by the people who are supposed to be responsible for continuing on her legacy, whose only exposure to the character is seeing Lynda Carter do a twirl and turn into WW, and from that they dismiss comic. Anyway I´m tired of DC blaming a character that obviously sold well in the 40s, the same way that Captain Marvel Shazaam did, but because they are too unimaginative to come up with compelling stories for a fictional character, they blame it on the character.

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#358  Edited By gokuwarrior

@jphulk26: i know,and everybody has a weak point,superman's durability has a weak point against magic,and wonder woman's duerability has a weakness against piercing weapons(like an achilles heel),superman strength and durability is above her,but wonder woman is stronger and more durable than supergirl and powergirl,poison and toxic can't kill her,and as the time kept passing by,she started to resist them very well,but i agree with everything else.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#359  Edited By Pokeysteve

@jphulk26 said:

@Pokeysteve: @gokuwarrior: Darkman when this does fail, which it looks like this new take as, what pisses me off about DC, is they´re not going to blame themselves, they´ll say oh its Wonder Woman, she just doesn´t sell. Which is very stupid. I mean DC writers go on line and do interviews where they openly diss her (By the way from the incredibly enlightened view point of openly admitting they´ve never read anything of hers). If I was a DC CEO and I heard one of my staff was openly dissing one of my main products on line, I´d give them a verbal warning to keep their opinions to themselves. I mean could you imagine you went to a resteraunt and the waiter was just dissing the whole menu, "no you won´t like that dish", he´d be fired. In the same way movie stars when promoting their films always have to pretend like its the best film in the world. Its just very poor the way she is treated and viewed by the people who are supposed to be responsible for continuing on her legacy, whose only exposure to the character is seeing Lynda Carter do a twirl and turn into WW, and from that they dismiss comic. Anyway I´m tired of DC blaming a character that obviously sold well in the 40s, the same way that Captain Marvel Shazaam did, but because they are too unimaginative to come up with compelling stories for a fictional character, they blame it on the character.

SOOOOO TRUE!!! I feel like Marvel did the same thing with Ghost Rider and Punisher. The movies didn't do well so they assume people don't like the characters when really the movies were just terrible and OUT of character.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#360  Edited By jphulk26

@gokuwarrior said:

@darkman61288 said:

The fact that Men aren't allowed on the island didnt stop Steve Trevor from crashing on the island. Her father could have crashed on the island, Hippolyta could have fallen in love with him, and gotten pregant. She then changed his memory of the island. Diana then gets her powers from the gods after winning the contest. Or, paradise island is destoryed years before Diana birth. The Queen flees and lives in Man's world. She falls in love and marries Diana's father. Diana as teenager gets in argument with him, than he dies in a mugging or something. She feels upset. The gods give Diana her powers. She fights to avenge the amazons and to make her father proud.

she doesn't need anything of that.

Agreed Goku, how can you think thats a better story. @knighthood said:

Opening line to the Wonder Woman animated movie...

"You seem as eager to meet me on the battlefield as you once did in the bedroom"

LOL

Not a shining example of women treated equally in the world of comics. :)

Thats actually a clever nod to Perez´s origin story, but in his Hercules tricks the Amazons and rapes Hippolyta, which is why the Goddess patrons of the Amazons seperate them from mans world giving them their own island. Obviously I don´t think rape would be appropriate material for this kind of cartoon. So instead they made it that Hippolyta and Ares had a love affair and the Ares forced H to have a child she didn´t want. I think it makes sense. Did you at least enjoy the film?

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#361  Edited By gokuwarrior

@jphulk26: if they adapt perez run into an animated series,it'll be for a more mature audience.

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 49

#362  Edited By knighthood

@jphulk26: It was a good little movie. I'm not going to lie, I've never enjoyed Wonder Woman until recently. I can see how Azz got his approach.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#363  Edited By TheCrowbar

Take those links down please.

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 49

#364  Edited By knighthood

@darkman61288 said:

I agree with the new outfit as I said before. But I dont like Captain Marvel's outfit. It covers too much. Something like the Black Widow's outfit with just the right amount of sexiness would do her good.

I wasn't saying to completely cover WW. I was just saying that it is refreshing to see a strong female character without using sex as a selling point. Now WW is historically a pin up type character, so I wouldn't want DC to change her much. Kinda like Catwoman. But I would at least cover up the bikini line a bit. Here are a few decent examples...

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    marvel123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#365  Edited By marvel123

i heard superman is going to get the beating of his life from Faora, in the man of steel, nothing says female empowerment like battleing toe to toe with dc's top dog. i'm fine with that, because she is a kryptonian as well, capable of doing anything and everything he can. I wish all kryptonians were portrayed as having equal strength. i never liked it when they'd set superman stronger than wonder woman (or other male heroes), and set wonder woman (or other male heroes) stronger than other female kryptonians.

darkman61288

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#366  Edited By darkman61288

@knighthood I don't like the gladiator skirt look. It is too old fashioned. The Black Widow or Catwoman type suit l like. I agree with the pinup comment. That look is reserved for fem fatale character s.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.