Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8805 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Is Wonder Woman The IDEAL Women?

GWHH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By GWHH

I was reading Batwoman and this caption in the last paragraph caught my eye. If she more than all those things and than " more human."

Does that make her the IDEAL human female?

No Caption Provided
    jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By jumpstart55

Well she is the ideal Super Heroine imo.

dmessmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Ideal" is a loaded term, and a subjective one. But certainly when Marston created her he did so with the "ideal" woman in mind, and that has been a consistent element of the character ever since (though the New 52 sometimes calls this into question).

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Ideal in what way? Like the most powerful?

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

She is strong yet feminine. Defensive yet caring. Buff but beautiful. So yeah, I would say so.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

I think you misread the line; More than Amazon, more than demigod, more human. I think it is not that she feels above humans, it's that she thinks Amazons and demigods are in away beneath humans (hence why 'than' is omitted from the last line).

Is she the ideal woman on the other hand... I think that is depending on what the beholder looks for in a woman same way its down to the behold to say if she is beautiful or attractive. I could imagine some people be really annoyed or worried every time she jumps out the window to save the world (aka what Trevor was before she dumped him).

However she is supposed to be the optimum woman, an example of what every woman could be.

GWHH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In the sense. If you took away all her supernatural ability and left her with only her intelligence, beauty, athletic skills, etc. Stuff she was born with and could have learned. I think she would be a close as perfection as you could get in the mortal world!

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

More human (than human) is a phrase used to describe someone beyond human, almost supernatural. Similarly I could ask you if superman is the ideal man.

GWHH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By GWHH

@outside_85: I notice the lack of "than" in the human part also. I think the more than part for demigod and amazons means. She the best of both them worlds. The human I don't have a clue about.

darkman61288

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By darkman61288

@gwhh: She is the ideal superheroine but the ideal woman. No.

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

For me... no

nope.

( + )

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae841330527
    deactivated-60ae841330527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That you think there is an ideal women in the first place is problem number one!

Like, EVERYONE KNOWS; Men don't find their ideal Women, women find them and change their man's ideals to match their personalities, and that's if they're being considerate .... The nasty ones change your ideals to their polar opposite to let you know you f***ed up!

To be fair it can work both ways if the women allows it!

In all honesty the WW might be the personification of the idea of the ideal Women, but is not actually one.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb
    deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

there is no such thing as an ideal man or woman. to think otherwise is just to perpetuate a stupid idea that everyone must look, think, act, etc... like X in order to be successful, attractive, yada yada yada, and what has and continue to cause a great deal of social issues and ridiculous stereotypes.

should people be physically fit? yes, but you don't have to be an Olympian, just maintain a healthy weight for the sake of a good, healthy life.

should people be well-educated? yes, but that doesn't mean everyone has to be a doctor.

should people be well-mannered? yes please (I really hate rude/oblivious people)....actually no addendum on this, people should be polite and respectful of one another.

Trying to define any more than that leads to far more problems than solutions.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Wonder Woman pretty much is "the ideal woman."

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@ltbrd said:

there is no such thing as an ideal man or woman. to think otherwise is just to perpetuate a stupid idea that everyone must look, think, act, etc... like X in order to be successful, attractive, yada yada yada, and what has and continue to cause a great deal of social issues and ridiculous stereotypes.

should people be physically fit? yes, but you don't have to be an Olympian, just maintain a healthy weight for the sake of a good, healthy life.

should people be well-educated? yes, but that doesn't mean everyone has to be a doctor.

should people be well-mannered? yes please (I really hate rude/oblivious people)....actually no addendum on this, people should be polite and respectful of one another.

Trying to define any more than that leads to far more problems than solutions.

Well, what you're saying is kind of silly in relation to reality; although we would all like an environment where we're not judged by looks, that's just simply not the case. It's like saying there's no racism or sexism; of course, it's easy for someone to say who reap the benefits of someone else's misfortune; thus, it's like a Caucasian American saying racism is a stereotype to a group of American Americans and Latinos. Shows someone being very insensitive to the people who are affected. It's clearly not merely a stereotype to say that the more attractive you are the more successful you'll tend to be, especially in the 2010s working environment. The issue may be affecting women a little less, because special attention is being brought to it in that context, but it's still there, especially for men. The problem is that there's no legal recourse when you know you were denied an employment opportunity because of your looks; the employer can actually flat out say that you didn't get the job because you weren't attractive enough and there will probably be absolutely no recourse the victim can take to remedy the situation; however, that's basically never done so the problem has continually perpetuated for hundreds of years and, with the same lack of laws in place, will probably continue to perpetuate for more years to come. About the only place where someone may be safe from looks based discrimination would be being a physician (brain or heart surgeon at that) and maybe being accepted into a university; maybe someone can squeeze into somewhere that require's a PhD, but that will be subject to being hijacked to a certain degree.

So, saying Wonder Woman is the idea woman is both a compliment and a criticism for someone who's the constant victim of looks based discrimination.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Eh, I'd prefer Zatanna or Power Girl. Someone with a sense of humor.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Ideal in the eyes of whom? Men? Women? Children? Prospective partners? Herself? People looking for someone to emulate?

Kind of a dodgy question.

Avatar image for deactivated-64332b810a025
    deactivated-64332b810a025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No at all. She would be way too pushy.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh, I'd prefer Zatanna or Power Girl. Someone with a sense of humor.

GWHH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

good point

Well she is the ideal Super Heroine imo.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
    deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

Depends on what you're looking for, I'd imagine

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ArchiZoom

The ideal woman is 5'5, delicate, slightly dumb and obedient so Wonder Woman is not the archetype of an Ideal Woman by men's criteria but she's the ideal woman for a woman. She's strong, smart, driven, she's pretty damn amazing, I mean she used to be.

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

depends on your taste but she would be for me.

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think she is as close to "ideal" as you can come, of course opinions are gonna vary, I for an instance prefer other characters in most categories. But in a general sense she is as all-around ideal as you get for the most part.

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The ideal woman is 5'5, delicate, slightly dumb and obedient so Wonder Woman is not the archetype of an Ideal Woman by men's criteria but she's the ideal woman for a woman. She's strong, smart, driven, she's pretty damn amazing, I mean she used to be.

Not sure if you are joking or not.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uhh no.

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

@gwhh: I don't know about the question but the artist of that scan needs to have his hands broken.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erik: that's by J.H Williams, he parted ways with DC some months ago but he was one of the best supposedly though I agree he didn't do Wonder Woman justice

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

@erik: that's by J.H Williams, he parted ways with DC some months ago but he was one of the best supposedly though I agree he didn't do Wonder Woman justice

Well, not entirely, he is the one doing Sandman: Overture. Anyways he's better than most artists, who seem more focus on her chest and tail rather than her face.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

It depends on the man, she is 6'0 and the average man is 5'7. I don't think she is ideal for those men.

jdhaddad1973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think the point is about an individual's taste in women. As she said to Superman about being the God of War, she represents a concept. Certainly Marston created her with the concept of "what would make the ideal woman" in mind. She's not meant to be an objectified female character she is meant to be what all women (and quite frankly men too) should aspire to be ... the best they can be.

DianaXKal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wonder Woman is perfect! <3

GWHH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a women who was made from clay from FIVE goddess as a gift to a mortal women they loves I feel she the prefect women in that design. But as a demigod. She not anywhere near there!

SheenLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread is just stupid.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.