Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8808 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Is she still the God of War?

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
    deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

i read Finch's run, against all of you alls better judgement, and from what i understood Diana's refusal to be the god of war turned the god of peace into the god of war?

RevivalMH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@willienotwilliam: That's the just of it. After reading the entirety of Finch's run, its super vague on whether or not she is still the god of war. Personally, I hope that she maintains her demigod status, but that she moves on from being the god of war. It just doesn't suit her character in my opinion.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I hope not. Being the God of War is so unWonder Woman. I like the warrior aspect but she's also an ambassador for peace. Being the god of war throws that all out of balance and goes against her character in my opinion.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By dshipp17

This question/confusion was addressed in the last issue of the Finch run, so, maybe you should view the whole run and than present any remaining questions; basically, when baby Zeke died and Zeus returned, everything Olympian related was returned back to normal; so, Ares is the god of war again; whether Wonder Woman actually is Zeus' child could actually be retconned by Rucka, given that the title is labeled "Lies"; with that title, it seems that DC can change anything; now, I'm just glad Rucka has plans for Dr. Psycho.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

It wouldn't be all that surprising since all of Finch's run appeared to be about undoing every single change and development Azzarello made.

Though, it wouldn't make much sense since Diana hasn't died, which appeared to be the only way for an Olympian to pass a mantle. (Not that I think a thing like 'logic' or 'consistency' would stop a writer/editor that wanted the change.)

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope. She'll have to fight her half brother Kratos

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By dshipp17

@outside_85 said:

It wouldn't be all that surprising since all of Finch's run appeared to be about undoing every single change and development Azzarello made.

Though, it wouldn't make much sense since Diana hasn't died, which appeared to be the only way for an Olympian to pass a mantle. (Not that I think a thing like 'logic' or 'consistency' would stop a writer/editor that wanted the change.)

Actually, she did die in Finch's last issue trying to unsuccessfully protect baby Zeke. When Zeke died, Zeus was restored, and he resurrected Diana; the whole scene was just given inadequate coverage or representation.

And clearly, Finch was trying to supplement/continue the Azzarello run.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17 said:

Actually, she did die in Finch's last issue trying to unsuccessfully protect baby Zeke. When Zeke died, Zeus was restored, and he resurrected Diana; the whole scene was just given inadequate coverage or representation.

And clearly, Finch was trying to supplement/continue the Azzarello run.

Still, in order for the mantle to pass back to Ares, it would have had to be him that killed her.

Supplement mean's continuing or enhancing, what Finch did in large terms was to take the bits that were added and threw them away, leaving us mostly right back where we started way back September 2011. The only thing that was actually supplemented was providing a genuine example of how horrible the Amazons could be.

RayRay1127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This matter was addressed in the Rebirth WW #1 when she ***** SPOILERS****

crushed the ram helmet. Apparently if she had really been gow, she wouldn't have been able to.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think they are in the process of dialing back the GoW title for Diana and from the first Rebirth issues it sounds like all of that part of Azzaerllo is probably going to be retconned ... But her parentage is still in question. I'm guessing we'll find that Diana was somehow never really GoW but that she is still a Daughter of Zeus.

RabumAlal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rayray1127: I thought that signified that the helmet was fake.

RayRay1127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rabumalal:

If you read what her thoughts are, it gave the impression, to me, that Diana being God of War "can't be true" so I assumed that's one of the "Lies".

I could be wrong, hope I'm not!

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rayray1127: I thought that signified that the helmet was fake.

Ah, Rebirth. Restoring all the confusion you missed from before Flashpoint...

RayRay1127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv said:

OR, just getting rid of all the damage done POST-Flashpoint and getting back to what Wonder Woman IS, not what some writer did to her.

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 4

@dernman said:

I hope not. Being the God of War is so unWonder Woman. I like the warrior aspect but she's also an ambassador for peace. Being the god of war throws that all out of balance and goes against her character in my opinion.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By dernman

@csg_cl said:

I'm guessing we'll find that Diana was somehow never really GoW but that she is still a Daughter of Zeus.

I hope not. It was ok for awhile but I got sick of it.

RayRay1127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeaaa, that Zeus origin needs to go... Actually, I've thought that from the get-go. Of all the things I didn't like about new52 WW, that and the sex-pirate amazons were just the WORST!

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rayray1127: not a fan of the sex raids, but I've always been indifferent to the daughter of Zeus birth. Personally I've always preferred Amazon training as the source of her powers as I found it more interesting than "blessings" or Demi-God ... But between those two I'd prefer inborn powers to "blessings". Clay baby was better IMO when the Amazons powers came from training.

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Did the GoW title even matter? Sorry, but it seemed somewhat useless imo..

Anyways, I hope it's gone and I don't keep up with WW's solo anymore lol.

xoxo, -Saint Sophie

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rayray1127: Suppose at that point, it boils down to how you view Wonder Woman.

And to be fair, depending on who you ask, it could do both.

RayRay1127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv:

Oh yes, I agree! I like that so many jumped on-board for N52 and that Diana got a fair ammount of buzz, I just wish it hadn't have been at the expense of, in my view, so much I loved about the character and her world.

To me it seems that Azz had a specific "Greek Pantheon" story to tell and WW was convenient to use because of her ties to them. This is why I view his run as the same as one of those elseworlds stories that was so bad I pretend they don't exist.

Avatar image for deactivated-59dfd33ed3601
    deactivated-59dfd33ed3601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv said:

OR, just getting rid of all the damage done POST-Flashpoint and getting back to what Wonder Woman IS, not what some writer did to her.

This tea is boiling

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rayray1127: I'm one of those people that hopped on with the N52. I love that stuff.

So for me Rebirth has been bittersweet. I'm not feelin any hype for Rebirth WW.

RayRay1127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv:

But, are those additions the ONLY thing you like Diana? Cause I don't get that at ALL....

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rayray1127: No, but they were a good part of it. Now looking at how confused people are it's not really inspiring confidence.

RayRay1127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By RayRay1127

@scouterv:

Well I'll tell you something... When WW 600 came out, and indeed, everything that happened after that up UNTIL Rebirth, I was confused as hell! One second it was Wonder Woman, then she wasn't and everything was topsy-turvy, then she was WW again, but nearly EVERYTHING about her and her little pocket of the universe was trashed.... THAT was confusing.

My advice to you and everyone else would be to not over-think it and if you like Wonder Woman, just try and go with it. I certainly gave n52 a good run before I just couldn't justify continuing to read a story I didn't like. And I TRIED to like it, I did!

Klaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17: Where did it say she died? From what I understood, Diana was prepared to sacrifice herself for Zeke, but she never died, she was merely knocked unconscious. I thought Zeus saved her from being killed by Hera.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This matter was addressed in the Rebirth WW #1 when she ***** SPOILERS****

crushed the ram helmet. Apparently if she had really been gow, she wouldn't have been able to.

No, the logic was that she shouldn't have been able to crush the helmet because it came out of Hephaestus' forge. The problem with assuming it did come from there, lies in assuming that a) it was where Strife (who provided Diana with it) got it or b) she went into Ares' abode to retrieve it or c) that the helmet on Diana's mantlepiece actually had anything to do with Ares... which seems unlikely since when Finch brough Ares back to life, he was still wearing his.

Now Diana could, trusting as she is, have thought the helmet Strife gave her was the helmet Ares used to wear, since she has had no reason not to think that. But like the later needle Strife had Hephaestus make, the helmet could have been given for another reason than to simply pour salt into Diana's emotional wounds.

Did the GoW title even matter? Sorry, but it seemed somewhat useless imo..

Anyways, I hope it's gone and I don't keep up with WW's solo anymore lol.

xoxo, -Saint Sophie

Begs the question: Why do you care? :)

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By dshipp17

@klaus said:

@dshipp17: Where did it say she died? From what I understood, Diana was prepared to sacrifice herself for Zeke, but she never died, she was merely knocked unconscious. I thought Zeus saved her from being killed by Hera.

The only way that Zeus came back was because baby Zeke was killed; as you recall, Diana dove on top of baby Zeke; thus, both baby Zeke and Diana were killed, bringing Zeus back; Zeus, than restored Diana, but not baby Zeke, because baby Zeke was Zeus; that was one understanding and the logical prediction from that event; it's possible that Diana was just knocked out, but, more likely than not she was killed and resurrected by Zeus; why would Zeus give Diana all of those gifts and thank her for her sacrifice, if she didn't truly make the ultimate sacrifice?

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Outside_85

@dshipp17 said:
    @klaus said:

The only way that Zeus came back was because baby Zeke was killed; as you recall, Diana dove on top of baby Zeke; thus, both baby Zeke and Diana were killed, bringing Zeus back; Zeus, than restored Diana, but not baby Zeke, because baby Zeke was Zeus; that was one understanding and the logical prediction from that event; it's possible that Diana was just knocked out, but, more likely than not she was killed and resurrected by Zeus; why would Zeus give Diana all of those gifts and thank her for her sacrifice, if she didn't truly make the ultimate sacrifice?

Sometimes it's the thought that counts, and Zeke as a baby was always depicted with his own defenses that weren't quite clear. From how it's described, I can't see why we should say Diana and Zeke died when what could have happened was that Diana blacks out and Zeus grows out of Zeke and 'deflects' the killing blow or w/e it was before waiting for Diana to recover... in this way Zeke only died in the way that Zeus could no longer use that shape... kinda like how Athena wanted to shed the Zola disguise.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By dshipp17

@outside_85 said:
    @dshipp17 said:
    @klaus said:

Sometimes it's the thought that counts, and Zeke as a baby was always depicted with his own defenses that weren't quite clear. From how it's described, I can't see why we should say Diana and Zeke died when what could have happened was that Diana blacks out and Zeus grows out of Zeke and 'deflects' the killing blow or w/e it was before waiting for Diana to recover... in this way Zeke only died in the way that Zeus could no longer use that shape... kinda like how Athena wanted to shed the Zola disguise.

A good alternative explanation, I guess, but, I seriously doubt that's what Finch was aiming for; I believe it's as I said, both Diana and baby Zeke were killed; when baby Zeke died, this allowed Zeus to return and he subsequently resurrected Diana, releasing her from the god of war mantle and returning it to Ares; you and a few other people may not want this to be the case, but, likely, that was the case, at least, approximately.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17 said:
    @outside_85 said:
    @dshipp17 said:
    @klaus said:

A good alternative explanation, I guess, but, I seriously doubt that's what Finch was aiming for; I believe it's as I said, both Diana and baby Zeke were killed; when baby Zeke died, this allowed Zeus to return and he subsequently resurrected Diana, releasing her from the god of war mantle and returning it to Ares; you and a few other people may not want this to be the case, but, likely, that was the case, at least, approximately.

Ok, so now I've looked it up and I would say Diana does not die, neither does Hecate or Hera who were both with her when the temple came down on top of them... plus we are talking about 3 goddess' so a bit of rock shouldn't be anything to them other than knocking them out. As such, Zeke only died because of the ailment Hera(?) originally inflicted on him. And the sacrifice Zeus refers to is that of her willingness to die for him.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.