Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8807 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

In the event that this happens...

• 162 results
    Avatar image for deactivated-59dfd33ed3601
    deactivated-59dfd33ed3601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

If Wonder Woman shockingly outsold Man of Steel and Nolan's Batman then what would happen? Will Diana be the new poster face of DC? Will fanbases be pissed? We should find these answers soon.

Star109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

...That's a bit to much to except for one movie IMO.

GrandWonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By GrandWonder

Well, if it did happen, I'll not find it shocking. I feel like boycotting anything Batman. I feel like vomiting. I fell asleep watching Nolan's Batman. While I enjoy almost everything that Marvel has put out including the Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-man, I can't say the same for Batman. Superman is decent but at almost 3 hours?! It's no LOTR that's for sure. It's a struggle to be interested in that movie. Pacing is almost a yawnfest. Action is good but there's still something lacking.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grandwonder: I agree, Marvel is killing it in the cinematic verse. The Batman movies are garbage but I guess his fanboys love anything. I liked the action in Superman but the story could have been much better. This is what happens when DC tries so hard to force these two in the spotlight. We get mediocre movies.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jphulk26

@somayareece said:

@grandwonder: I agree, Marvel is killing it in the cinematic verse. The Batman movies are garbage but I guess his fanboys love anything. I liked the action in Superman but the story could have been much better. This is what happens when DC tries so hard to force these two in the spotlight. We get mediocre movies.

I might be out of my mind crazy, but I think it has a really good chance against Superman if DC throw all there chips in and get a great cast. I think if it gets over 68% it will bat superman at around the 800 million to 850 worldwide. But the cast has to be there, and the film has to be a critical success. I think women will support this movie, I think a lot of guys will also and if it has good casting I think GA will be curious and want to see something different with a female lead superhero movie. Plus Wonder Woman is easily one of the top 8 most famous comic characters of all time. EASILY.

I don´t see it beating Batman though. Its all down to who plays the villain, who is cast as the main Amazons and it getting at least 68% on Rotten Tomatoes and IMDB. If it gets something like 77 it will blow Man Of Steel out the water IMO.

Also, remember, she´s in Batman V Superman and the excitement when she came onscreen in the trailer was huge. If she knocks it out the park in that movie, I predict big things for her standalone.

One last thing, Ares has to be the villain. If he´s not, I don´t see it working. It´s by far her most marketable villain.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By dernman

No. One movies isn't going to do it. You have to have a long history of selling well. Just look at Iron Man. While it did increase his importance in the movie universe his comic and overall presence hasn't changed.

silver_archer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphulk26: We'll have to careful though. Look at all the movies coming out for superheroes. Eventually people are gonna get bored and this will tip down the sales. But we'll wait till 2021 to see the success of the movies. Look at YA books to movies. After Harry Potter and Hunger Games, the other adaptations are garbage and even then, whenever a YA book to movie is announced there's a lot of people grumbling on that.

Also, why 68% for the rating of WW's movie?

@grandwonder: Someone finally agrees with me that I find Nolan's films snoozefests!

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

400-500 mil would be great for this movie, you guys are on something if you think the first Wonder Woman film is going to make a billion dollars.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jphulk26

@silver_archer said:

@jphulk26: We'll have to careful though. Look at all the movies coming out for superheroes. Eventually people are gonna get bored and this will tip down the sales. But we'll wait till 2021 to see the success of the movies. Look at YA books to movies. After Harry Potter and Hunger Games, the other adaptations are garbage and even then, whenever a YA book to movie is announced there's a lot of people grumbling on that.

Also, why 68% for the rating of WW's movie?

@grandwonder: Someone finally agrees with me that I find Nolan's films snoozefests!

I agree. People will be bored, but I think WW being A WOMAN is going to sway a lot of people to watch the movie in support of a female lead and WONDER WOMAN the first female superhero. It´s an important movie. People don´t quite realize it yet, but I think once the marketing campaign hits full force and we see the trailer and we see A Female Director and all the STARS of the movie saying how important the film is to them and how they wanted to be part of this project because of what it stands for, I think you will see people quickly gaining interest. The subtext for this films whole marketing campaign is going to be "hey guys this movie will either legitamize or prove that women can or can´t carry a movie and furthermore helm a movie." Its a double whammy we have the first female superhero, in the first female lead superhero movie which is being directed by a female director. That´s a HUGE marketing point. I think it can easily beat MOS if its a better movie, which won´t be that hard.

I think 68% is the point when people are confident a film is worth seeing. I think anything under 68%, people tend to think it´s mediocre, so if WW can get over that mark; has bankable stars in it and a good marketing campaign that really shows that this film is flying the flag for diversity in this genre, then it´s a slam dunk .

@saren 400 million would be a flop for this kind of movie. So unless you are saying WW is basically going to be a flop, I don´t know where you´re getting that number from. If WW made 400 mil and has great reviews and they market it well, then they will not be making a sequel. For it to even be considered worth investing in another WW film it has to make 600 mil. As for beating Batman, I agree, no way it makes more than Batman. It would take a miracle for that to happen.

Agent_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren: You're still saying this after the money GoTG made?

AwesomeHobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's really kind of hard to deny the success of Nolan's films. They were wonderfully written and tremendously acted. While they weren't movies about a traditional Batman, they were still great movies. And I don't see it as that far of a stretch to think Wonder Woman would become the face of DC. I mean let's look at the push she's getting: George Perez Omnibus which will possibly (probably?) get a Vol. 2 maybe even 3, Wonder Woman Earth One: The Trial of Diana Prince by Grant Morrison, Wonder Woman: The Very Selfish Princess by Eisner award winner Jill Thompson, she's the taken the lead role in DC's flagship comic (Justice League), her main comic is likely about to see a creative change with Geoff Johns and Scott Snyder both expressing interest in the role, she's at forefront of DC Bombshells, she's at the forefront of the DC Girls initiative, she seems to be the centerfold trinity member in the new Justice League cartoon Justice League Action, she'll be in Batman V Superman, and with her movie starting filming and already garnering so much coverage. Like there's no doubt that the push is there by DC, but I think it'll come down to whether the merchandise sells, like are little girls and boys gonna eat it up?

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphulk26 said:

@saren 400 million would be a flop for this kind of movie. So unless you are saying WW is basically going to be a flop, I don´t know where you´re getting that number from. If WW made 400 mil and has great reviews and they market it well, then they will not be making a sequel. For it to even be considered worth investing in another WW film it has to make 600 mil. As for beating Batman, I agree, no way it makes more than Batman. It would take a miracle for that to happen.

Depends on how much they spend on it. There's really no reason to blow upwards of $200 million on a Wonder Woman movie and then complain about box office grosses, not when you have movies doing high-quality practical effects for less like Fury Road and even SFX-intensive movies like Ant-Man that do it for much less. If you can make it for $120-140 million like Ant-Man did, and I don't see why it couldn't be done, something in the range of $450 million would be a profit for Warners, especially since the film would also launch merchandising (which is where studios make the bulk of their money on franchises).

The final LOTR movie was made on a budget of $94 million, and it needed a hell of a lot more special effects than a Wonder Woman movie would. Profits for the Hobbit movies took a slide because they abandoned that approach and started blowing up money on the principle that bigger is better. If you throw $250 million at a Wonder Woman movie, you're making a massive gamble that could derail the character's prospects of a franchise because I seriously think a lot of Wonder Woman fans on sites like these and various blogs across the internet overestimate the general audience's enthusiasm for the character, especially internationally.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent_z said:

@saren: You're still saying this after the money GoTG made?

You realize GoTG is not the only superhero movie ever released, right?

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

People who think that there is any way for Wonder Woman to top either Batman or Superman then they are probably living in some kind of a dream land or something. A movie for Wondy would probably make a half billion or a few million above that. I don't see her movie topping that and that would actually be not such a bad thing for WB.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jphulk26

@saren: I´m not overestimating the popularity of WW, although she is one of the few superheroes that actually gets News coverage when things happen to her, like new haircut etc and she is easily one of the biggest popculture icons of the superheroes. I mean she´s bigger than Ant Man or Guardians of The Galaxy etc. However, I agree with your point; thanks to how DC have handled her, she is no way as popular as she should be.

My main point is that this movie may surprise cynics bc of what WW stands for in this new superhero movie boom. She is flying the flag for diversity in these films. She will be the first superhero solo movie not starring a white, straight, male, and furthermore the film is being helmed by a female director. I think just on the merit of that alone there will be a lot of goodwill toward the movie and a desire by a lot of more liberal minded of the general audience to want this movie to succeed.

Right now we can´t feel it, but if, in Batman V Superman, Gal´s one of the standout performances and characters that will start the hype machine and build anticipation. Then once people start seeing the trailer for the movie, if it looks good, has the great cast to support it, builds an epic looking Themyscira (which is a very different type of environment than we´ve seen in superhero movies thus far) I think it stand out from all the rest of marvel or DC´s slate. Added to that the fact that it´s something different just in virtue of having a female lead could make WW slightly more immune to the waning interest in generic superhero movies. I honestly think if DC plays their hand right and takes it as seriously as Batman and Superman and gives her the respect she deserves, a lot of the GA will buy into it bc they will see the studio believes in the character as well.

It all just depends on how DC approach it. If they treat her like a pariah whose movie they are making just so not to be accused of sexism, then I think the movie going audience are going to catch on to that and they will end up not trusting the movie. But if they treat this movie as a big summer blockbuster that they believe will make mega bucks, then I feel WB´s confidence will inspire confidence in the general audience as well. I think it beating Man Of Steel is nowhere near as difficult a task as many may think. If Iron Man 1 could make mega bucks, being he was completely unknown, I see no reason WW who is one of the most well-known superheroes on the planet cannot be a huge success as well.

In relation to the OP´s suggestion that WW might become the face of DC. Nah. Don´t see that happening. Perhaps she might become more popular amongst younger fans than Superman if her movie is good, but Batman is holding that title for quite sometime. Realistically WW´s could edge out Superman for a brief time, but she´s not touching Batman. Batman´s fanbase are fanatics.

Agent_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren: Neither is Batman yet you seem convinced he's the only superhero movie that can make money.

I don't know if WW would make more money than Batman but I'm not completely writing it off.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent_z said:

@saren: Neither is Batman yet you seem convinced he's the only superhero movie that can make money.

I don't know if WW would make more money than Batman but I'm not completely writing it off.

Again, whoever thought Iron Man and Captain America would be big deals? We just have to see how DC does with it´s movies.

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
    deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

It'll definitely make them invest in her more but she won't be there poster child like batman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry if I offended the Batfans. I forgot that no one can be as successful as Ratman. I also find these sales predictions ridiculous. As if you are guys are positive it going to sell that much.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry if I offended the Batfans. I forgot that no one can be as successful as Ratman. I also find these sales predictions ridiculous. As if you are guys are positive it going to sell that much.

ooooh! I´m not saying I don´t want ww to be face of DC. I´d love Dc to pay even half the attention they do to Batman to building up WW world in cinema. I just don´t see it happening. I think WW has with in her catalogue of stories the ability to easily make better more compelling movies than Batman, but will dc/wb be able to pull it off is my question? Do they even have the will or drive to?

silver_archer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By silver_archer

@tdk_1997 said:

People who think that there is any way for Wonder Woman to top either Batman or Superman then they are probably living in some kind of a dream land or something. A movie for Wondy would probably make a half billion or a few million above that. I don't see her movie topping that and that would actually be not such a bad thing for WB.

Compared to non team up movies so far, 500 million would actually be a pretty good profit.

GrandWonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

700M and I'll consider it a huge success. 400 to 500M is ok and should be enough to warrant a sequel.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997 said:

Compared to non team up movies so far, 500 million would actually be a pretty good profit.

@tdk_1997 said:

Are you guys seriously telling me you can´t see WW beating MOS? MOS didn´t even do that well.

REASONS WONDER WOMAN MAY SURPRISE

1. Winter Soldier beat it. Amazing Spiderman beat it MOS so I don´t think 700 mil is this huge milestone for such a well known superhero in a summer blockbuster, during this climate and the current popularity of superhero movies.

2. Wonder Woman is not quite at Bats and Supes level, but she is literally a notch below. She´s no Antman. She may not have had a movie yet but everyone on the planet has at least heard of Wonder Woman.

3. The only way I don´t see it doing that well is from either poor marketing, casting or critical reception or more likely a combination of all 3.

4. Plus DC movies are going to be very different in tone. The fatigue from superhero movies is from Marvel´s lighthearted, quip heavy movies. If BvS and Suicide Squad blow it out of the park, WW is literally going to be the next movie after, meaning there will be a lot of goodwill for the Wonder Woman project.

THOUGHT EXPERIMENT: Gal knocks it out the park in Batman v Superman, WB´s puts as much money and effort into marketing for this movie as they did MOS, they get a top notch supporting cast (EXAMPLE: Cate Blanchet, Pheonix as villain, other great academy award nominated caliber actors and or proven box office draws), and the critical reception of the movie is really good. So this is the IDEAL DREAM SCENARIO. Everything is brilliant. What is the maximum you think WW could make?

I think in this dream scenario Wonder Woman could clear the 800 million mark as a summer blockbuster.

Now do I think DC is going to give us this dream scenario? No. Unfortunately not. But then it won´t be Wonder Woman´s fault. It will be DC and WB´s. if they treated this half as well as they do Batman or Superman or Justice League, I see no reason why it can´t be a huge success.

Avatar image for darkdetective27
    darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

Im sure she'll be able to outperform MoS, but I doubt she would top the last two Dark Knight films. I would say they may consider putting her in the number 2 spot.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Archizooom

Wonder Woman will maybe benefit from coming off the back of Dawn of Justice and from being the first female fronted comic book movie, if the movie's good and gets good word of mouth on social media, a good score on rotten tomatoes, it can maybe get to 500 million. More than that is wishful thinking but you never know.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ww outdoing some bm movie isnt ridic tho like catching fire out did tdkr so its def possible if dc wanted to make it so

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jphulk26

ww outdoing some bm movie isnt ridic tho like catching fire out did tdkr so its def possible if dc wanted to make it so

On a sequel maybe. Not the first movie. If she gets over a billion I´d be the happiest guy in the world, but I don´t see her reaching those numbers on her first movie. But in the best case scenario, everything goes well, as I said beating MOS is not crazy at all and neither is reaching 800 mil.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphulk26 said:
    @willienotwilliam said:

On a sequel maybe. Not the first movie. If she gets over a billion I´d be the happiest guy in the world, but I don´t see her reaching those numbers on her first movie. But in the best case scenario, everything goes well, as I said beating MOS is not crazy at all and neither is reaching 800 mil.

oh i maent like beating the dceu bm movie or bmb...but on her sequel def possible

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By darkdetective27

@willienotwilliam: I dont think Catching Fire out did the Dark Knight. The Dark Knight made $1.005 billion and Catching Fire made $864.9 million.

Enzo991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkdetective27: And even IF Catching Fire grossed more than TDKR, what does that have to do with how well a WW movie would perform ? It seems that some are under the assumption that people who don't think that WW can outperform Batman are saying that because WW is.....well a woman, and that's not the case.

It's just that the WW's fanbase seem to overestimate her popularity, since I don't believe she's well known outside comic book fans, and since she never had any presence in Hollywood we can't gauge her potential and whether people would be interested, unlike with Batman and Superman who had movies before.

Many probably heard of her name, but that's not enough for them to go see her movie. If WW was established well in BvS, and then the WW movie followed shortly after that, before people start to lose interest in the DCEU, I can see her doing well. Still I believe BvS and the future Affleck directed Batman movie would do better, as Batman has a much stronger brand recognition after the Nolan movies (which I don't care for much btw).

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphulk26 said:

@saren: I´m not overestimating the popularity of WW, although she is one of the few superheroes that actually gets News coverage when things happen to her, like new haircut etc and she is easily one of the biggest popculture icons of the superheroes. I mean she´s bigger than Ant Man or Guardians of The Galaxy etc. However, I agree with your point; thanks to how DC have handled her, she is no way as popular as she should be.

Plenty of superheroes get news coverage when things happen to them. I think people seriously overestimate the link between recognition and popularity; it is entirely possible for people to be completely ambivalent about a famous character, even indifferent.

My main point is that this movie may surprise cynics bc of what WW stands for in this new superhero movie boom. She is flying the flag for diversity in these films. She will be the first superhero solo movie not starring a white, straight, male

Whatever happened to Blade? At least two of those movies were entertaining. You're breaking my heart here. She's hardly the first superhero solo movie not starring a straight, white male --- we simply don't speak of the others. This is like when Marvel claimed Silk was "the first Asian-American superhero!" because the existing ones were either at DC or in the X-Men, neither of which they can publicize. I have no doubt they'll try to claim the Black Panther film will be "the first black superhero movie!".

and furthermore the film is being helmed by a female director. I think just on the merit of that alone there will be a lot of goodwill toward the movie and a desire by a lot of more liberal minded of the general audience to want this movie to succeed.

This historically is a terrible way to gauge a film's success --- the average moviegoer, at least the one who's wondering whether or not to watch a Wonder Woman film, doesn't much care or even know the directors behind most films unless the director's someone famous enough to be mentioned in casual conversation, like Nolan or Cameron. Most people have never even heard of Patty Jenkins, and most of the people who hype her up with "Her last film won an Oscar!" have never even watched Monster. People like Nolan, Cameron and Peter Jackson become that famous precisely because they're genre directors, and fans of sci-fi/fantasy stuff are incredibly passionate about it and make for a reliable goldmine if your film meets with their approval. Other directors, even great directors like Scorsese, take decades to build up that kind of brand awareness that can boost a box office because they do drama and crime films, which don't really have consolidated fanbases or anywhere near as much passion.

At least with Michelle McLaren you could say "Directed by someone who worked on Game of Thrones!" for legitimacy from the fantasy audience. Patty Jenkins has directed literally one movie in her entire life that didn't go straight to TV. Sure, there are always going to be some people who are excited about the fact that a Wonder Woman movie is being directed by a female filmmaker, but I'm assuming these people aren't idiots and are naturally going to ask "So who's the director?", at which point they find out it's someone no one outside of the indie circuit has ever heard of, and even the indie circuit hasn't heard of her for over a decade.

There are plenty of politically charged films, liberal and conservative alike, released every year, and plenty of these bomb on the belief that liberals or conservatives will just flock to them. Content and the specifics of content tend to galvanize an audience much more than novelty and ideological underpinnings ---- it's why a movie like American Sniper crushes the box office while another like The Green Zone flops, or why something like The Passion of the Christ breaks box office records while Exodus: Gods and Kings struggles to make money even while both are aimed at exactly the same audience . High-concept sci-fi is filled with novelties; it also has a long history of bombing at the box office. People talking about Inception around the watercoolers after watching it drove other people to watch it. The novelty thing never works out unless there's some replay value attached.

but if, in Batman V Superman, Gal´s one of the standout performances

Pretty big if to bet on

If Iron Man 1 could make mega bucks, being he was completely unknown, I see no reason WW who is one of the most well-known superheroes on the planet cannot be a huge success as well.

Iron Man had Robert Downey Jr. at a time when he was the underdog because no studio was willing to employ him and people were rooting for him to be a star again. Wonder Woman has Gal Gadot. The Incredible Hulk had a slew of famous stars and a central character more well-known than Iron Man; it didn't even make half as much money as the latter. People like a good comeback story.

In relation to the OP´s suggestion that WW might become the face of DC. Nah. Don´t see that happening. Perhaps she might become more popular amongst younger fans than Superman if her movie is good, but Batman is holding that title for quite sometime. Realistically WW´s could edge out Superman for a brief time, but she´s not touching Batman. Batman´s fanbase are fanatics.

I don't think either scenario is realistic. I think it's a more realistic possibility that Harley Quinn will eclipse Wonder Woman in the next ten years as far as popular female comic book characters go. There's already a lot more enthusiasm for Robbie's Quinn than there is for Gadot's Wonder Woman.

I don't even think the movie's necessarily going to flop, just that you're attaching seriously unreasonable expectations to it, which is fine for fans, but if a studio starts doing so it only damages the character. Quality aside, Man of Steel made more money at the box office than every single superhero solo origin movie in the 21st century, with the sole exception of the first Raimi Spider-Man movie. A Wonder Woman movie would have to outperform practically the entire medium to make more money on the first outing.

@agent_z said:

I don't know where I sounded convinced about that.

I'll write it off for both of us. I'm also so confident that Batfleck will be the best received part of BvS that I'm going to predict a solo Batfleck movie would outgross the Nolan films, so the Wonder Woman movie will have a more daunting target to aim for, if that is really its aim.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think she'll sell well but not more than Nolan's Batman. If she does though then that's pretty awesome.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkdetective27: i think its opening week did better but tdkr grossed more overall

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By RDClip

If Wondy's movie did outsell Batman and Superman, I would be shocked, but pleasantly surprised. Even if her movie made over 3x it's budget, it would prove that female-led superhero movies are profitable and WB and Disney would stand up and take notice.

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@enzo991 said:

@darkdetective27: And even IF Catching Fire grossed more than TDKR, what does that have to do with how well a WW movie would perform ? It seems that some are under the assumption that people who don't think that WW can outperform Batman are saying that because WW is.....well a woman, and that's not the case.

It's just that the WW's fanbase seem to overestimate her popularity, since I don't believe she's well known outside comic book fans, and since she never had any presence in Hollywood we can't gauge her potential and whether people would be interested, unlike with Batman and Superman who had movies before.

Many probably heard of her name, but that's not enough for them to go see her movie. If WW was established well in BvS, and then the WW movie followed shortly after that, before people start to lose interest in the DCEU, I can see her doing well. Still I believe BvS and the future Affleck directed Batman movie would do better, as Batman has a much stronger brand recognition after the Nolan movies (which I don't care for much btw).

1. never said that people implied its because she is a woman

2. i just watched a video prior to replying that said catching fire did well and outdid tdkr

3. ww's popularity is pretty high. im not going to say people know her character well and theres no doubt her name is almost removed from the actual character but people def know of her even though she hasnt seen much non comic exposure since the 70s. She is still the titular female superhero and has been for decades.

i dont think shell outdo tdk/tdkr....i dont think its impossible for her to outdo any non tdk/tdkr movie wrt sales tho, esp if she gets a sequel.

Enzo991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Enzo991

@willienotwilliam: Yeah but what's the relation between Catching Fire and a WW movie ? Avengers did better than TDKR so why didn't use that as an example ? I assumed that because Catching Fire had a female lead you used it to show that a WW can perform better than a Batman movie, as if WW being a woman is what could hold the movie back.

Ok

Convince me why anyone who doesn't care about comics, would care for WW. Yeah people probably know about WW as a name and what she looks like (more so before the New 52), but that doesn't mean anyone would be interested in seeing a solo movie for here. People went to see Captain America after the huge success of Iron Man, and Marvel knew that Captain America, even though has a recognizable name, would not bring in people before a proper setup. That's why unless DC properly set up the DC cinematic universe and the WW character, I can't see her doing that well on her own name recognition.

I'm not trying to sell WW short, but honestly she's not as popular as some of you like to believe, and that's because she doesn't have the same exposure as Superman or Batman. At least not since her TV show.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Define popular. Based on what some of you are saying, she would have to be shoved down our throats and pushed to the stars in ordered to be considered "that popular".

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@enzo991:

I didn't use avengers because a solo hero film from an unestablished movie verse is not going to be the same as a group film using characters from multiple movies apart of an established movie verse and I never said ww would do better or even as good as tdk\tdkr.

I already addresses why i used it as an example

I mean I can't get a concensus for you so idk how I can prove her popularity outside of her name being basic comic book knowledge most people are aware of and her cultural relevance which I've admitted supercedes her actual story

Also you don't need to have a long history for a character to get people in theaters ....the fact that she has that long history is only going to be a plus for her

I guarantee you everyone that knows batman knows the name wonder woman . they don't know much about her but name recognition is a big deal and if DC wanted to market a successful ww film/franchise they certainly could count on name recognition as a big factor for making it work/sell

I'm sure more people know who wonder woman is now than people who knew any of the MCU heroes were pre-mcu

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41: I was talking about Batman. But if she does pass MoS that would certainly be a great start for the WW franchise.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By jphulk26

@saren said:

Boy do you seem determined for Wonder Woman to fail :) I´ll have to agree to disagree from now on bc quite frankly I just don´t care that much. But one more round since you´ve been such ab good sport.

1. Plenty of superheroes get news coverage when things happen to them. I think people seriously overestimate the link between recognition and popularity; it is entirely possible for people to be completely ambivalent about a famous character, even indifferent.

No they don´t. This is just untrue. For Wonder Woman to have news coverage when she officiates a gay wedding or gets a haircut shows the social impact of her character upon the culture. It is like "The Death Of Superman" which of course got more News Coverage than most things about WW, but when a character transcends to the height, it´s because of the indelible mark he or she has left on pop culture in general. Wonder Woman is one of the most recognizable symbols in pop culture history, meaning her first film is already a bigger deal than 99% of the pantheon of Superheroes. That´s not wishful thinking on my part, that´s a fact.

2. Whatever happened to Blade? At least two of those movies were entertaining. You're breaking my heart here. She's hardly the first superhero solo movie not starring a straight, white male --- we simply don't speak of the others. This is like when Marvel claimed Silk was "the first Asian-American superhero!" because the existing ones were either at DC or in the X-Men, neither of which they can publicize. I have no doubt they'll try to claim the Black Panther film will be "the first black superhero movie!".

I meant since the Superhero boom. Obviously Blade was a great success, but superhero movies were not the big deal they are now. If Blade (or Spawn) the original movie had have come out in this day and age, with the increasing call for diversity they have nowadays, and during this massive boom in the popularity of superheroes, it would have been a much bigger deal than it is now. We´d probably also being seeing Blade in the Avengers ;) How fun would that have been. WW isn´t some special case in this area, it´s the same thing with Black Panther, I´m not sure GA are quite ready for a gay solo superhero movie, but in a Team UP, I would say exactly the same. The first gay x-men in the movies for instance is going to be somewhat of a big deal.

It´s just that right now, people have short memories, so WW is likely to reap the benefit of being that character who is seen as breaking boundaries. Added to that, that her character is somewhat already connected to the feminist movement, I´m sure a lot of the PR and marketing for the movie will focus heavily on that.

3. This historically is a terrible way to gauge a film's success --- the average moviegoer, at least the one who's wondering whether or not to watch a Wonder Woman film, doesn't much care or even know the directors behind most films unless the director's someone famous enough to be mentioned in casual conversation, like Nolan or Cameron.Most people have never even heard of Patty Jenkins, and most of the people who hype her up with "Her last film won an Oscar!" have never even watched Monster. People like Nolan, Cameron and Peter Jackson become that famous precisely because they're genre directors, and fans of sci-fi/fantasy stuff are incredibly passionate about it and make for a reliable goldmine if your film meets with their approval. Other directors, even great directors like Scorsese, take decades to build up that kind of brand awareness that can boost a box office because they do drama and crime films, which don't really have consolidated fanbases or anywhere near as much passion.

I very much agree with the sentiment of what you´re saying here, while at the same time finding your generalizations to be pure speculation.

The fact is we´ve yet to have a female directed superhero movie, which has a female lead, of the most famous superheroine in the history of comics. So how GA´s are likely to react to this news is almost entirely unknown. If a marketing campaign hits this home we have no idea what the reaction may be, especially if the movies trailer gets a strong response.

However one thing I strongly agree with you on is that the director they chose is terrible. In fact I think most the decisions surrounding this film have been confusing, insane or done to cut costs which is not a good sign. This is a film that needed a FEMALE DIRECTOR or ETHNIC or something that had a strong resume. They got getting a female director right, and Michelle Maclaren was a great idea, but Patty Jenkins? What? The chick that did MONSTER? It doesn´t exactly scream, equivilent of Nolan? There are plenty of female directors with at least a couple of recognizable films to there name and Monster was good, but it was hardly a masterpiece. That is why they need a very very strong supporting cast, and to take everything else about this film incredibly seriously. Name Cinematographer, Name Composer etc.

Gal, the screenwriter and the director are already 3 strikes, but it still can be salvaged with everything else they put into this film. The base of the word of mouth are going to be the nerds who look up and know pretty much every detail that comes out about these DC movies, so they need to impress with every other piece of news. Gal is highly underwhelming, but at leasdt she´s new and if she impresses in B V S, she is going to have a platform to impress pretty much everyone likely to see her movie bc everyone is going to see B V S. Screenwriters bad, but hardly anyone looks up screenwriters so that can pass. And as for Patty, at least she has one Oscar Nomination, so that can be worked with. Awful choice though. Just awful.

but if, in Batman V Superman, Gal´s one of the standout performances

Pretty big if to bet on

Now this is just pure cynicism. Why is it a big IF? She´ll either be good or not. People will either leave the movie having enjoyed WW or not.

If Iron Man 1 could make mega bucks, being he was completely unknown, I see no reason WW who is one of the most well-known superheroes on the planet cannot be a huge success as well.

Iron Man had Robert Downey Jr. at a time when he was the underdog because no studio was willing to employ him and people were rooting for him to be a star again. Wonder Woman has Gal Gadot. The Incredible Hulk had a slew of famous stars and a central character more well-known than Iron Man; it didn't even make half as much money as the latter. People like a good comeback story.

This means absolutely nothing. Iron Man had Robert Downey Jr? He was an underdog?? All this is pure speculative bs. No, what Iron Man had was a killer trailer that everyone started talking about. (It also had a director who pretty much had only one movie under his belt just like Wonder Woman. An unknown, untested superhero, who had far less of a fanbase, popularity or recognition as Wonder Woman.) I believe it made over half a billion and this was when the superhero boom started. Now it´s in full swing, we can expect like Man Of Steel, name a-list superheroes will be making more money on their solo intro movies.

We have no idea who will be in the supporting cast for WW and how heavily they will be featured in the trailer. They could get someone to play Ares who has an equal amount of respect as Downey Jr. Feature him heavily in the trailer, problem solved.

I don't think either scenario is realistic. I think it's a more realistic possibility that Harley Quinn will eclipse Wonder Woman in the next ten years as far as popular female comic book characters go. There's already a lot more enthusiasm for Robbie's Quinn than there is for Gadot's Wonder Woman.

Again what?In the Batman V Superman trailer the first appearance of WW got a huge pop, just as did Harley Quinn. In fact I´ve heard WW´s appearance in costume got some of the biggest reaction. Both are going to do very well in my opinion if their films are good. If they leave a good memory on the audience, I´m sure they both are going to have huge response. We are likely to see Wonder Woman at least briefly take on Superman and or Batman and likely get the upperhand over one of them in B V S as she tries to reason with them to stop fighting. We are going to see her using superpowered warrior moves on Doomsday. I think audiences are going to think that is pretty damn cool in live-action since we haven´t seen a woman do that before. So as long as Gal can have a convincing presence with the dialogue, half her job is already done for her by CGI. Wonder Woman is going to look pretty badass.

So it comes down to her solo movie and how well it does. If it´s good why would Harley be more popular? That´s just bias, and i have no idea where its coming from. The only reason Harley is more popular now is bc of the animated series, and the computer games where she´s been featured heavily.(and she´s only more popular in these fringe groups. WW is still more well-known than HQ outside comic fandom) WW has yet to have that exposure. Both are great novelty characters in that they are both male-fantasy characters. The idea of a bad ass superpowered but beautiful female warrior and conversely a psychopath, crazy sex kitten, play into male fantasy, but they are also character women love as well. So, yeah, maybe Harley´s slightly more popular, maybe not, but that depends on WW´s first film, her villains in the movie, how she´s utilized generally. i see nothing unrealistic about ww being very popular or edging out Superman in being seen as cooler, since Superman has sank in popularity by a country mile since MOS.

I don't even think the movie's necessarily going to flop, just that you're attaching seriously unreasonable expectations to it, which is fine for fans, but if a studio starts doing so it only damages the character. Quality aside, Man of Steel made more money at the box office than every single superhero solo origin movie in the 21st century, with the sole exception of the first Raimi Spider-Man movie. A Wonder Woman movie would have to outperform practically the entire medium to make more money on the first outing

Man Of Steel did not made more money than any single superhero solo origin movie in the 21st century.

Amazing Spider-Man $757,930,663

Accounting for inflation

Spiderman 02 beats it

Iron Man beats it for life time gross

Man Of Steel has the highest opening and is fourth highest. But we are talking about a post-Batman V Superman DC universe. Wonder Woman is supposed to be the third movie released in the DC universe after B V S and Suicide Squad. If they´re good which I highly doubt B V S will be (I have far more confidence in Suicide Squad. I think Zack an idiot) But if somehow B V S is good, WW is liked, she gets a good supporting cast etc etc etc, The love of the DC universe in general may give WW a boost. Maybe add a cameo by an as of yet unseen Justice League member; as I said I think it may well surprise.

@saren - By the way MOS is fourth highest, domestic only. I´m trying to find international, but considering the whole difference between 3d and Imax release in comparrison with earlier movies like Spiderman 2002 and Iron Man, it´s a lot more complicated than you´re taking account for.

MOS is basically the last a-list superhero to have an origin movie since the post-avengers, post-dark knight boom apart from Amazing Spiderman which he lost to if you take into account international and domestic.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By jphulk26

@willienotwilliam said:

@enzo991:

I didn't use avengers because a solo hero film from an unestablished movie verse is not going to be the same as a group film using characters from multiple movies apart of an established movie verse and I never said ww would do better or even as good as tdk\tdkr.

I already addresses why i used it as an example

I mean I can't get a concensus for you so idk how I can prove her popularity outside of her name being basic comic book knowledge most people are aware of and her cultural relevance which I've admitted supercedes her actual story

Also you don't need to have a long history for a character to get people in theaters ....the fact that she has that long history is only going to be a plus for her

I guarantee you everyone that knows batman knows the name wonder woman . they don't know much about her but name recognition is a big deal and if DC wanted to market a successful ww film/franchise they certainly could count on name recognition as a big factor for making it work/sell

I'm sure more people know who wonder woman is now than people who knew any of the MCU heroes were pre-mcu

Couldn´t have said it better myself.

@saren - By the way MOS is fourth highest, domestic only. I´m trying to find international, but considering the whole difference between 3d and Imax release in comparrison with earlier movies like Spiderman 2002 and Iron Man, it´s a lot more complicated than you´re taking account for.

MOS is basically the last a-list superhero to have an origin movie since the post-avengers, post-dark knight boom apart from Amazing Spiderman which he lost to if you take into account international and domestic.

moi245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By moi245

@somayareece I sooooo hope that happens I want wonder woman movie to do some great box office business ! and bat fanboys will be pissed of course xDDD

@jphulk26@agent41 great posts as always :D

Enzo991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I honestly think that you people are having some unreasonable expectations about the movie. You're making a LOT of assumptions about an untested character, that needs a lot of factors to align perfectly if it were to really succeed. I don't care if it ended up making more many than Superman or Batman, what I care about is that we get good movies. Personally, even if I didn't care for WW's stories, I'm still going to watch her movie out of principle, if only just to see how they portrayed the character.

However the same can't be said about non-comic fans. You have to do a lot to convince the casual movie goer to come and see a character they only know by name. I'm not sure where all the "she's the most popular heroine" "she's feminist icon" are coming from. I don't know if we're living in the same realities, but I'm not sure if any of these are true, or even if they were true, that would have any effect on the sales of her movie. If a WW movie was to be released this year, no matter how good it is, I have no doubt it'd under perform, that's why WB needs to do some serious setup before the WW movie release in 2017.

Also, calling people "batfans" just because they disagree with you is the epitome of childishness. I have nothing against WW, and you're all free to believe whatever you want to believe, but my logic disagrees with you, and yet I'm not running around calling people WW fanboys. We will see what happens once the movie is released.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By jphulk26

@enzo991 said:

I honestly think that you people are having some unreasonable expectations about the movie. You're making a LOT of assumptions about an untested character, that needs a lot of factors to align perfectly if it were to really succeed. I don't care if it ended up making more many than Superman or Batman, what I care about is that we get good movies. Personally, even if I didn't care for WW's stories, I'm still going to watch her movie out of principle, if only just to see how they portrayed the character.

However the same can't be said about non-comic fans. You have to do a lot to convince the casual movie goer to come and see a character they only know by name. I'm not sure where all the "she's the most popular heroine" "she's feminist icon" are coming from. I don't know if we're living in the same realities, but I'm not sure if any of these are true, or even if they were true, that would have any effect on the sales of her movie. If a WW movie was to be released this year, no matter how good it is, I have no doubt it'd under perform, that's why WB needs to do some serious setup before the WW movie release in 2017.

Also, calling people "batfans" just because they disagree with you is the epitome of childishness. I have nothing against WW, and you're all free to believe whatever you want to believe, but my logic disagrees with you, and yet I'm not running around calling people WW fanboys. We will see what happens once the movie is released.

I honestly want to know what universe you exist in. Maybe I´m in bizarro world, but before I´d ever picked up a Wonder Woman comic, or was even a fan of comics in general, I knew who Wonder Woman was. I knew she had a lasso, I knew her costume, I knew the 70s TV show and Lynda Carter. That´s before I´d even read a comic book. I have done this thought experiment over and over again with random people around the world (Okay Europe, but that counts ;)) asking, do you know who ... is? And I name a superhero, and no one has ever turned to me and said they don´t know who Wonder Woman is, and often I´m surprised how much they actually know about her.

All over the world, its one of the top costumes I see women wearing at Halloween etc. I see her referenced in sitcoms as far ranging as Happy Endings to Sienfeld. She is part of the cultural lexicon in a way that very few superheroes are.

I am not some rabid Wonder Woman fan whose just making things up for the sake of argument here.

Am I supposed to take this statement seriously or are you just trolling? 1. Name may not be the only reason a casual movie goer may see a wonder woman movie but no doubt it will help if they at least recognize the character. Whether they have a good or bad opinion, it´s better than having no opinion. 2. Are you telling me Wonder Woman is not the most famous and popular superheroine? No body has said she is the most popular HEROINE. That is absurd. We said Superheroine. And as for the feminist thing, I REFRENCED THAT in relation to the marketing campaign for the movie. I did not say that everyone knows Wonder Woman as a feminist icon.

3. You´re sure it would underperform. That is the exact samething people were saying about all the c and d-list marvel heroes who have cleaned up for the last 8 years at the box-office. I mean you would think by what you´re saying Iron Man was on the same level as Spider-Man the way you´re talking. The truth is we would never have even seen another Cap America or Iron Man movie if MArvel had still had the rights to X-Men, Spiderman and Hulk.

Lastly what are you even bellyaching about? The question posed by the OP is a what if question? "If Wonder Woman shockingly outsold Man of Steel and Nolan's Batman then what would happen?" She made clear in the question by prefacing it with the word "shockingly" that she thinks this is a highly unlikely outcome.

Most of the WW fans have agreed with this statement with the caviate that ONLY under the most ideal conditions could she beat MOS, which was not a highly successful movie. That was the point most have made. WW could pass 700 million, but only under very, very favorable conditions, like getting a stellar cast, ww getting good reception in B V S and the movie being a critical success.

That is not us saying WW WILL beat Superman, we´re saying it is unlikely, but she can. On the otherhand, hardly anybody has said she can beat Batman in box-office. SO are you trolling? or what´s the issue?

Cause seriously you hoping and wishing a WW movie will underperform, just so you can be right, is pretty embarrassing. I hope the best for any superhero movie, it´s good for the genre as a whole.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@enzo991 said:

shes the template for nearly every female superhero lol

she gets name dropped in songs constantly

Taylor swift referenced her in her bad blood video

beyonce wore a ww shirt in her blow video

everyone knows who she is and she's been a feminist icon since inception esp after her cover on ms magazine in the 70s

Enzo991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willienotwilliam: Then maybe she's just not that well known where I live, because I never got the impression that she's this global icon. Let's hope that people are truly familiar enough with the character to make her movie debut successful.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.