Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8807 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

If Diana wasn't Wonder Woman...

Avatar image for wonderwomanfan8
    WonderWomanFan8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By WonderWomanFan8

What would Diana do if she wasn't Wonder Woman? What if she left paradise island, but didn't take up the mantle of a superhero? I ask this because I was fascinated by the Justice League episode "For the Man who has Everything". And I was thinking to myself, does Diana have a story like that?

Clark's fantasy was living a normal life on Krypton with a lois-esqe wife and son. Typical family man. Bruce's fantasy was his father outmaneuvering the mugger, thus saving him and his wife from being murdered.

But what would Diana's fantasy be? What does she desire that her role of Wonder Woman prevents? Has there been a story that touches on this?

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

It wasn't Lois, it was Lona aka Lana and Lois. So glad they didn't go with Lois alone in JLU. In the comics, it wasn't a hybrid of his Earth loves. It was someone else entirely.

Anyway, good question.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

If she wasn't Wonder Woman I would assume she'd be some kind of diplomatic ambassador.

Avatar image for wonderwomanfan8
    WonderWomanFan8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If she wasn't Wonder Woman I would assume she'd be some kind of diplomatic ambassador.

Do you think she'd still want to be some kind of diplomat? Interesting...I don't see how she'd enjoy that. I figure she'd want some kind of career where she could travel the world, and see lots of people and places.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arturocalakayvee said:

Do you think she'd still want to be some kind of diplomat? Interesting...I don't see how she'd enjoy that. I figure she'd want some kind of career where she could travel the world, and see lots of people and places.

I feel like being a diplomat is just imbedded in her. I can't imagine a Diana leaving Paradise Island with Goddess-like ability and not really do anything with them, ya know?

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Diana loves to travel and discover what the world has to offer enjoy exotic food, relax, go site seeing and meet new people

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

It's funny, out of the three heroes in the Man Who Has Everything, Diana is the only one that doesn't get infected with the Black Mercy. And oddly enough, she is the only one who Dr. Destiny doesn't attack, making her the only Leaguer who's head we never get into at least once during the show or it's predessors.

In comics however there has been an issue where we see what Diana 'dreams' of. In Morrisons early JLA run the Key had ambushed most of the League and put them to sleep in order to open a portal. In Diana's dream she's basically Lara Croft with a heavier stint of Indiana Jones; out seeking treasures with Steve and fighting Nazies. (How telling this is however is up for debate as Kyle dreamt himself into the role of a videogame cyborg... making Batman blame Nintendo)

If we go by another, stranger route that most people here dont like, in Act of God she was forcibly depowered and became a stock-brooker (which annoyed the angry drunken hobo that used to be Superman).

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Living life on Themyscira with a extremely close relationship to maybe Artemis. Maybe they could make a kid out of clay or something?

Kinda like her remix to "For a man who has everything"

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By dshipp17

She'd simply still be on Paradise Island being princess. Her Wonder Woman angle was sparked by leaving the Island, due to a man landing on the island; without that, things for Diana were not going to change. I suppose it's possible that she could have eventually gone on a raid of sailors at this point.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Diana's fantasy would be becoming Wonder Woman, she's living the dream. Clark's and Bruce's dreams are basically what their lives would've been had those scarring life-changing events never happened. Wonder Woman however dreamt of leaving Themyscira to journey into the Man's world and help the helpless.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Diana's fantasy would be becoming Wonder Woman, she's living the dream. Clark's and Bruce's dreams are basically what their lives would've been had those scarring life-changing events never happened. Wonder Woman however dreamt of leaving Themyscira to journey into the Man's world and help the helpless.

There's absolutely no indication whatsoever that Diana longed to leave Paradise Island to enter Man's World in any of the different retellings of her origin story; in this respect, she has nothing in common with Clark and Bruce.

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Muffin_Sangria

@dshipp17 said:

@archizoom said:

There's absolutely no indication whatsoever that Diana longed to leave Paradise Island to enter Man's World in any of the different retellings of her origin story; in this respect, she has nothing in common with Clark and Bruce.

In the Perez run that was definitely the case, it was in the DCAU, and it was in the animated movie as well. As far as I know it wasn't directly stated in the 52 but I assumed it was the case there as well. I've never read the golden age origin so I can't comment on that one though.

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think her dream would largely just be about world peace and stuff like that. I don't think she fantasies about having a normal life. Unlike most hero's she truly chose to become a superhero.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By dshipp17

@muffin_sangria said:

@dshipp17 said:

@archizoom said:

In the Perez run that was definitely the case, it was in the DCAU, and it was in the animated movie as well. As far as I know it wasn't directly stated in the 52 but I assumed it was the case there as well. I've never read the golden age origin so I can't comment on that one though.

Show me some specific references in the Perez run where Diana was longing to leave Paradise Island and the episode of Justice League where she longed to leave the Island; it definitely didn't happen in the golden age origin. I never saw this in any origin; it most certainly was not in the animated movie; I saw that movie all the through and remember nearly everything; all have her leaving in order the accompany a man off the island. Sure, she wanted the Wonder Woman crown to accompany the man off the island, but it was motivated by completing the task, rather than wanting to venture into Man's World; but that's completely out of context and not correct as far was longing to venture into Man's World, as an internal longing, that predated the catalyst of the man crashing on the island.

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Muffin_Sangria
    @dshipp17 said:

@muffin_sangria said:

@dshipp17 said:

@archizoom said:

Show me some specific references in the Perez run where Diana was longing to leave Paradise Island and the episode of Justice League where she longed to leave the Island; it definitely didn't happen in the golden age origin. I never saw this in any origin; it most certainly was not in the animated movie; I saw that movie all the through and remember nearly everything; all have her leaving in order the accompany a man off the island. Sure, she wanted the Wonder Woman crown to accompany the man off the island, but it was motivated by completing the task, rather than wanting to venture into Man's World; but that's completely out of context and not correct as far was longing to venture into Man's World, as an internal longing, that predated the catalyst of the man crashing on the island.

In both the Preze run and the animated movie she competed in the challenge against her mother's wishes because she wanted a chance to see the outside world. In the animated series she straight up ran away from home so she could explore man's world. Yeah wanting to prove herself amongst her peers was also a big motivation in all these cases, but wanting a chance to experience man's world was arguably the bigger motivation.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By dshipp17

@muffin_sangria said:
    @dshipp17 said:

@muffin_sangria said:

@dshipp17 said:

@archizoom said:

In both the Preze run and the animated movie she competed in the challenge against her mother's wishes because she wanted a chance to see the outside world. In the animated series she straight up ran away from home so she could explore man's world. Yeah wanting to prove herself amongst her peers was also a big motivation in all these cases, but wanting a chance to experience man's world was arguably the bigger motivation.

Longing to see the outside world wasn't the reason she competed in the contest; you may want that to be the reason, but longing to see the outside world wasn't the reason she competed. That most definitely wasn't the premise in the animated move; at best, she was simply apt to defy her mother's wishes. And I asked you to provide scans or something as evidence of what you say, not add more unproven statements.

jdhaddad1973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17: watch the scene in the animated movie where she is at the bar with Steve ... she goes into the whole thing about how she dreamed of becoming the person who reunited the Amazons with the outside world.

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17: I don't have any scans, but I don't think I need any. As far as I'm concerned her wanting to experience life outside the island is a core part of the origin so I'm having trouble seeing how anyone could have missed that.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.