Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8805 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Confused: Wonder Woman V3 issue 44 --> Wonder Woman issue 601 (Spoilers).

Trivio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So i've read the classic volumes and i've read Wonder Woman volume 3 issue 44 yesterday where Wonder Woman faced off against her cousin in an arena and also defeated her own aunt.
    At the end of the issue it said to read Wonder Woman 600 (which was basically 3-4 filler stories to me) which i got, but now i read issue 601 aswell and halfway through i decided to stop and come here to ask for help.
    I expected issue 601 to continue where issue 44 left off.

Now in Wonder Woman 601 her origin is suddenly different (and i don't like it either), she also looks different and she is more... bloodthirsty i guess.
    Whats going on, am i missing something? Was issue 44 really THE end and i didn't realize it? Is this a whole different Wonder Woman story out of the blue?
    I hope i don't miss important issues.

I really want help, no idea where to start reading now =/

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By dshipp17

Yes, Wonder Woman 44 was the end of pre-Flashpoint Wonder Woman, at least, as we can currently understand it. Wonder Woman 600 was a big anniversary issue and it introduced the JMS/Hester run. At the time, post-Flashpoint Wonder Woman was not an imagined concept; heck, Flashpoint wasn't an imagined concept, yet. The JMS/Hester run was intended to be a new beginning, except that run apparently generated more criticism than was expected. Either JMS had a clash with the new editorial, which is current editorial, JMS had to get more committed to some projected that he was involved with at the time than he expected, or, some combination of both. So, Phil Hester was brought in to execute the JMS's story, similar to the way writers are currently executing a Gail Simone script on Dejah Thoris, along with two other books.

At the time, I was hoping that JMS would make Wonder Woman in the mold of pre-DC She-Ra, but, JMS had other ideas, and made a very graphically violent story. The JMS story was intended to be something of an outer dimension (elseworld like), except, it was also going to affect Wonder Woman's continuity a little, also (e.g. some impact on Dr. Psycho and his forward going relationship with Wonder Woman). But, as best we can tell, those plans were completely scraped to usher in New-52/post-Flashpoint Wonder Woman and it's also very unsettling that Dr. Psycho was placed in Superboy's book instead of the Wonder Woman book in the New 52 continuity, except Dr. Psycho did briefly mention a connection with Wonder Woman in an issue of Justice League that hinted back to Marston material (e.g. actually, Azzarello had seriously considered Dr. Psycho, but, thought it best to go with First Born, instead). But, now, in relation to Dr. Psycho and the Wonder Woman book, we'll have Rebirth and Rucka, the writer who last wrote a serious story involving Dr. Psycho in a Wonder Woman book.

So, now the short answer, the 600's was a plan that had to be abandoned for the New 52 plan which is being scraped for Rebirth.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17 said:

Yes, Wonder Woman 44 was the end of pre-Flashpoint Wonder Woman, at least, as we can currently understand it. Wonder Woman 600 was a big anniversary issue and it introduced the JMS/Hester run. At the time, post-Flashpoint Wonder Woman was not an imagined concept; heck, Flashpoint wasn't an imagined concept, yet. The JMS/Hester run was intended to be a new beginning, except that run apparently generated more criticism than was expected. Either JMS had a clash with the new editorial, which is current editorial, JMS had to get more committed to some projected that he was involved with at the time than he expected, or, some combination of both. So, Phil Hester was brought in to execute the JMS's story, similar to the way writers are currently executing a Gail Simone script on Dejah Thoris, along with two other books.

At the time, I was hoping that JMS would make Wonder Woman in the mold of pre-DC She-Ra, but, JMS had other ideas, and made a very graphically violent story. The JMS story was intended to be something of an outer dimension (elseworld like), except, it was also going to affect Wonder Woman's continuity a little, also (e.g. some impact on Dr. Psycho and his forward going relationship with Wonder Woman). But, as best we can tell, those plans were completely scraped to usher in New-52/post-Flashpoint Wonder Woman and it's also very unsettling that Dr. Psycho was placed in Superboy's book instead of the Wonder Woman book in the New 52 continuity, except Dr. Psycho did briefly mention a connection with Wonder Woman in an issue of Justice League that hinted back to Marston material (e.g. actually, Azzarello had seriously considered Dr. Psycho, but, thought it best to go with First Born, instead). But, now, in relation to Dr. Psycho and the Wonder Woman book, we'll have Rebirth and Rucka, the writer who last wrote a serious story involving Dr. Psycho in a Wonder Woman book.

So, now the short answer, the 600's was a plan that had to be abandoned for the New 52 plan which is being scraped for Rebirth.

I didn't know that Azzarello had considered Dr. Psycho ... seems like a strange choice given the story he wrote ... do you have a source article for that? I'd be interested in reading it.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By dshipp17

@csg_cl said:
    @dshipp17 said:

I didn't know that Azzarello had considered Dr. Psycho ... seems like a strange choice given the story he wrote ... do you have a source article for that? I'd be interested in reading it.

Yes, it was one of his exit interviews around the time of one of his last issues and just before Finch came on board; I believe it was around September 2014 and it was posted by CBR; I'm not able to access the CBR board now, at least not on this computer and ip address.

When he had Dr. Psycho in mind, I think he would have had a very different idea in mind; it could even have included avoiding this obsessive focus on Greek Mythology and involved her main rogues, but, in particular, Dr. Psycho; I would have liked it and it would have taken Wonder Woman in the direction that I've been so frequently talking about; unfortunately, he didn't go the correct route and chose First Born; Azzarello was more interested in a character who could physically challenge Wonder Woman in a believable way. For me, a major drop of the ball obviously.

But, good point, if he did always have an overall focus in Greek Mythology, it would have been very interesting and creative to somehow integrate Dr. Psycho into that story. Perhaps, making Dr. Psycho some type of antagonist for Hera?

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17 said:
    @csg_cl said:
    @dshipp17 said:

Yes, it was one of his exit interviews around the time of one of his last issues and just before Finch came on board; I believe it was around September 2014 and it was posted by CBR; I'm not able to access the CBR board now, at least not on this computer and ip address.

When he had Dr. Psycho in mind, I think he would have had a very different idea in mind; it could even have included avoiding this obsessive focus on Greek Mythology and involved her main rogues, but, in particular, Dr. Psycho; I would have liked it and it would have taken Wonder Woman in the direction that I've been so frequently talking about; unfortunately, he didn't go the correct route and chose First Born; Azzarello was more interested in a character who could physically challenge Wonder Woman in a believable way. For me, a major drop of the ball obviously.

But, good point, if he did always have an overall focus in Greek Mythology, it would have been very interesting and creative to somehow integrate Dr. Psycho into that story. Perhaps, making Dr. Psycho some type of antagonist for Hera?

thanks ... I'll see if I can find the article over at CBR

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.