Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8805 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Azzerello? Leave or Stay

lilben42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Azzerello? Leave or Stay (172 votes)

Stay 65%
    Leave 15%
    I don't care 20%

I personally think his book is amazing, and can't wait to see where he takes us. At the beginning I had some complaints but I easily got over it by the 11th issue.

• 
    aquahawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

The biggest complaint I have seen is the origin story thing. I really don't have any problem with it.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

LEAVE. Almost done with second year and we're still on the same uneventful damn arc!

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LEAVE

Please

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

I love the Wonder Woman series! My only problem is that he needs to stop making the story arc so long. There's only been one arc for the past two years. But it's not a huge complaint because he's introducing New Genesis and we're seeing new things all the time.

Ciriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been enjoying it, and it's the first comic that got my girlfriend into comics. Stay.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Stay.

veronicacris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By veronicacris

Stay for more one year at least. the long story arc is really a problem

lolzstastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stay. Anyone who says otherwise... just... no.

dmessmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stay, but could we get the focus a bit more on Wonder Woman and less on, well, everybody else. I'm sick of Orion.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By dshipp17

I agree that his being on one story for nearly two years now is becoming a bit much to stomach; it's been like a simple move of about a block or 2 has to be a complete issue. I'm just interested in how he'd be moving from issue to issue with a different villain or a rotation of villains, just like, you know, what you'd expect in a comic book about a superhero. I'm ok with his story, in terms of execution, even if it is to allow Wonder Woman to advance two blocks at a time, but leaning towards his leaving the longer he withholds Athena, Dr. Psycho, her traditional villains, and a bit of sex appeal (e.g. how about some barefeet and/or implied nudity and/or sexual overtures; can easily be done if that's a problem with Chiang, given that he's often been substituted for by another artist), and an approach towards at least a normal comic book pace. Wouldn't hurt to also know more about Wonder Woman and some context to her current state (e.g. things like why was she in London, than vacationing in New York, than how well does her environment know her and feel about her; how do people feel about her and how she treats them).

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

@dshipp17: Look, I like sex appeal as much as the next guy but did you reallyyy need to make a point about it? hahah I don't think that's necessary at all

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the fact that most people here want him to stay proves that wonder woman lost most of her fan base.

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By PowerWoman
    czechoslovakia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By czechoslovakia

I voted stay, but I don't really care. I just want Cliff Chiang to draw the book 6ever, his artwork does a stellar job of storytelling alone

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

Stay; this is a better run than Wonder Woman's had in ages.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

Azzarello's run is one of the best things in the New 52 and he should stay.

lilben42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By lilben42
    cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

Stay

Sinisteri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Leave

By all means, please go create the original character for which the current title of Wonder Woman is merely a vehicle.

I still think most people who love the current state of Wonder Woman have really not liked the character created and depicted since her 1940s comic book debut. You know, the one that interacted with humans and fought to make the world outside of her world better by example. Is her current threat endangering the world around... even a little? Is New York or Dallas at risk of destruction?

WW older fan base has not left her. Her "new" fan base would not be sufficient to sustain her and ride out the bumpy roads she faces and has faced over the years. The older fan base is not just here and/or will leave when the current writer does.

Part of this current character's standing is still based on the assumption that she is an agent of peace, cares about mankind outside of her bloodline, has a mission, and is loved by a world that she seems to avoid in her own title.

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me he must be leave,because

1,Amazon women warriors to rape man is just beyond me,I cant accept

2,I dont like his art,sorry

3,WW is depowered,not powerful and 0 feats

Sinisteri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Actually, I do not like the art or the catfish appearance of Poseidon. It looks like something out of 70s Disney movie. The Incredible Mr Limpet.

The portrayal of the Amazons as raping attackers does a disservice to Diana. Is this what her people want her to teach the outside world? That Amazons are hateful barbarians?

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#22  Edited By Lvenger

Stay definitely. His Wonder Woman has consistently been my favourite New 52 series of them all. Azzarello's crafted a well written engaging story with strong characterisation and use of the supporting cast too.

lilben42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By lilben42

@powerwoman: Well Azzerello doesn't do the art, Cliff Chaing does. Yeah I don't think anyone likes the amazons thing but I'm not going to hate the book over that.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

Stay, for as long as he pleases.

lilben42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By lilben42

@sinisteri: I think Azzerello was showing the amazons darker side. I kind see why he put in the idea. The idea of the amazons hatred towards men consuming them. Taking them through a dark time.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

Pretty sure it was displayed clearly that Diana didn't know anything about the dark secret of the Amazons, and she was horrified when she found out ---- so I don't see how it does a disservice to her. Apart from that, there's this one issue that's been on my mind for a while now, I think it dates back to the release of Superman #13 where Clark benched the entire planet for days or whatever, and all of a sudden there were these Wonder Woman fans all over the forum complaining about how Azzarello's run sucked because he didn't give Diana over-the-top feats like that. Azzarello focuses on the plot, and the feats he gives the character like beating up Moon actually have stuff to do with the plot. Lobdell's nonsense with Superman's strength literally had nothing whatsoever to do with the plot and was completely unnecessary beyond giving battle forum addicts something to praise the lord over. Would you honestly prefer something like that to the rich, layered story Azzarello has been spinning?

I don't doubt that there are more legitimate reasons for why someone would dislike Azzarello's run ---- a lot of people have complained that he doesn't feature Diana's traditional rogues' gallery, and that's an understandable complaint. But complaining that his run sucks because "0 feats" just strikes me as an incredibly shallow reason to follow a book or a character, though I suppose everyone is entitled to their reasons.

Sinisteri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Sinisteri

What was the point of the Amazons dark secret as raping murderers? How does this add to Diana's strength or character to know that people who called her "Clay" also abused men & killed fresh born babies? Perhaps, it would help if the new 52 Amazons were established so we knew their current values and motivations... But like most of new 52, readers are to just assume most of what they knew of historical characters is the same until a story says otherwise. That type of writing is not new & original & progressive; it is lazy and insulting to an audience. It also adds to the feeling of disconnect.

The current character in WW is interesting and great, but it is not WW. This character is the second coming of I Ching era in my book. History will repeat itself.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#28  Edited By Teerack

I think this is the first time WW has been interesting in like 40 years.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He has to stay, Wonder Woman is the only title I can say got better with the new 52.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#30  Edited By fodigg

This poll is pretty ambiguous. Are you asking if the writer should stay? If we plan to stay? If Wonder Woman should stay?

blkson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinisteri: @gokuwarrior: @powerwoman

K, so say he leaves, does that magically erase what he has laid down? If he goes then what? Is the next writer going to reboot her origin after all the issues that Azzy has written since the new52? He has to stay.

Sinisteri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Sinisteri

Would him leaving magically erase his run like he magically erased her past & excluded her villains...

Yep. That's how comics have and can work. Next person can alter or revise past writers work. Believe it or not, MARVEL does this without the whole company wide reboot.

So... Yes.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a77aa5e0a324
    deactivated-5a77aa5e0a324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stay.

I was a fan of WW before the New52 came along and I'm still a fan now. Azzarello's run is most certainly different than what I've seen before, but I think that's kind of the point. Diana wasn't my favorite super hero because she was as strong as Superman or because she had an island full of perfect sisters. I was and am a fan of Wonder Woman because of what her character represented to me as a woman. She was strong and empathetic and fierce and she didn't let any of her male colleagues define her. She is still all of those things in her solo book, and those qualities are all the more evident because of her new surroundings. Her extended family may be conniving and have these dark secrets, but that just emphasizes how great Diana really is.

akintoussaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By akintoussaint

@sinisteri: Or the next writer can decide to continue the story where the other writer lefted off.Just because they can do it doesn't mean they will.Just because Mavel does it doesn't mean DC will do it to.

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinisteri: leave and bring back perez,let him show people once again how a wonder woman comic should be.

by the way and off topic,i see that somepeople respond to my comment in the topics but they don't appear in my messages box,i only see them when i come back to the topic,is that a problem?.

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae841330527
    deactivated-60ae841330527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really care, his story is good, it just needs to pick up the pace... and daaaayyyyyuuuum those gods are ugly, Gods were supposed to be beautiful, those things like like monsters you find in an RPG ...Poseidon looks like one of those WOW murlocks ...

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae841330527
    deactivated-60ae841330527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@citizenbane said:

I think it dates back to the release of Superman #13 where Clark benched the entire planet for days or whatever, and all of a sudden there were these Wonder Woman fans all over the forum complaining about how Azzarello's run sucked because he didn't give Diana over-the-top feats like that. Azzarello focuses on the plot, and the feats he gives the character like beating up Moon actually have stuff to do with the plot. Lobdell's nonsense with Superman's strength literally had nothing whatsoever to do with the plot and was completely unnecessary beyond giving battle forum addicts something to praise the lord over. Would you honestly prefer something like that to the rich, layered story Azzarello has been spinning?

Its funny because this is exactly what was being asked for.... random apocalyptic objects heading towards earth that were clearly specified in terms of size, mass, density, composition, and speed that Wonder Women would single-handedly save the word from...

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By gokuwarrior

@citizenbane: arazzello's wonder woman is not the real wonder woman,her heroic side is missing,her villans are gone,the amazons are gone and everything they represented to diana,wonder woman has been needing help to fight her oppinents most of the time,and she hasn't done anything impressive,she sucks now and is a flop because of arazzello,perez's run was much better writen and of course,it sold more than arazzello's run.

Sinisteri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Sinisteri

It is funny that Diana consistently needs so much help fighting her foes than Superman or Batman do.

She is a woman who needs help & can't finish an adventure in her own book. This is progressive and what she needed to be successful? Setiously!?

And this is best WW that some fans like?

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
    Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stay. Hell, I don't even like Wonder Woman and I'm into this book due to Azzerello's writing.

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By gokuwarrior

@sinisteri: arazzello made her weak,took away herr heroic side and her own villans.

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@citizenbane: I think you are in my reply,about"0 feats"for you,it's just shallow reason?I dont think so

I'm like wonder woman,not just story is cool or something

Of course, this is also very important, but for me,is not main reason

most important reason is that I'm isnt have the power like her,attracted me to see how use her power to influence the story and handle more and more problems and difficulties,if wonder woman no power,just have cool story,I think I would be not a wonder woman fans,I mean,sorry,My enligh is bad

I like wonder woman,not just she has a cool story,I like her power,I like to see how handle she goddess of power in the comic book,that was attracted me

dmessmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think he should go, but not because everything he's done is terrible or anything like that. I agree that the way he treated the Amazons is problematic and I felt that it was unnecessary - it didn't really advance the story or help to develop Diana's character - it just felt like a giant f-you to the existing continuity (if there is such a thing in the New 52).

On the other hand, the way he reinvented the Greek gods and wove Diana's conflict into theirs was really great stuff, thus I really enjoyed the first 12 or so issues.

But since then, the story has been spinning its wheels and spending too much time on everyone but Wonder Woman. The battle between Orion and The Firstborn is interesting in its own right, but it's become unclear how Wonder Woman fits into it all. It's bad enough that Wonder Woman often gets the short end of the stick in Justice League, but to do it to her in her own book is getting really annoying, especially given how slowly the story is now moving.

It seems to me like Azzarello has plenty of good story ideas, but has already burned through his best Wonder Woman story ideas. So, he should leave and write something else and DC should bring someone with fresh ideas to handle Wonder Woman.

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dmessmer: and arazzello's idea of diana always needing help to face most of her fights doesn't help her either,she isn't the independent,powerful warrior she used to be.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Sinisteri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a sexist version of WW. She is written to appear strong, but she needs help to fight her opponents while not resolving her first story challenge. This WW is not in the same league with Batman and Superman even though she is "more" powerful than Superman.

Perez Wonder Woman would have resolved baby drama by issue 3 no later than 6. If baby is Zeus, the entity of truth would have known it by now. Or is she so powerful that truth is only in her lasso now?

Nerd Of A Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 2

Haven't any of the new Wonder Woman series since issue 1 since I'm not exactly a fan but if it's getting more people to read Azzerello's book then I think he should stay.

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By PowerWoman

@sinisteri: Agree it

I 'm like wonder woman,Includes stories, history, emotion, personality,But the final decision I become her fans.IS because she has greater of power like goddess

Some people say that it is shallow ,but if wonder woman just a normal woman,I would be say,I'm not her fans

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pokeysteve: yes,thank you,so now ther flag shows you the people that respond to you in a comment?.

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinisteri: let's call beyonce to sing to arazzello,independent woman part 1&2,and see if he changes his mind after that,LOL.

seriously,wonder woman needs to be the powerful and independent woman she used to be.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.