Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8719 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Artemis Rebirth

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

From a new Rebirth design, it looks like Artemis will be back in Rebirth, and a return to post-crisis times.

No Caption Provided

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I like this design for her. Makes her look like a hero and not a bikini model with a sword.

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
    SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Overall it's a good design, but I'm trying to figure out what's up with all the buttons. It's cool but the Requiem costume with black pants would look better. It's weird Artemis gets a head star although she's never worn one except for her WW costume, but Diana's has been replaced with a stylized eagle.

GrandWonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OMG, I knew something or someone is missing w New 52. I'm so happy.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

Now, that is actually a surprisingly decent outfit.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I'll never be a fan of the character as long as she has that name.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now, that is actually a surprisingly decent outfit.

You're still alive?!

Agent_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:

Why?

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By dernman

@agent_z said:
    @dernman said:

Why?

It's dumb for her to be named Artemis when the god Artemis is actually part of her and WW's corner of the universe. It doesn't matter if she doesn't show up much.

gamiz7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: fun fact artemis's roman name is Diana, which is wonder womans name

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By dernman

@gamiz7 said:

True but who really thinks of her as Diana instead of Artemis? Besides Diana is a much more common name in peoples minds.

Avatar image for deactivated-59dfd33ed3601
    deactivated-59dfd33ed3601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Green Arrow has a protege named Artemis. It isn't that big of a deal.

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:
    @agent_z said:
    @dernman said:

Why?

It's dumb for her to be named Artemis when the god Artemis is actually part of her and WW's corner of the universe. It doesn't matter if she doesn't show up much.

That's like saying no Latinos should be named Jesus. Naming your child after a deity is a way to honor the deity.

William Messner-Loebs named her Artemis because it's the Greek name for Diana and she was invented to be Diana's ultimate Amazon rival.

It makes perfect sense to me.

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to find out that there's a connection between Orana, Artemis and Aleka. Like for instance when Themyscira was founded an Amazon oracle, or Circe, or Hecate prophesied that there would always be a hotheaded, redheaded, Amazon foil for Diana included in each incarnation of Paradise Island.

No Caption Provided

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:
    @agent_z said:
    @dernman said:

Why?

That's like saying no Latinos should be named Jesus. Naming your child after a deity is a way to honor the deity.

William Messner-Loebs named her Artemis because it's the Greek name for Diana and she was invented to be Diana's ultimate Amazon rival.

When Jesus is an actual physical part of a story universe then yes I'll say that is dumb also.

Yeah doesn't matter to me.

Doesn't make a difference to me one bit.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:
    @gamiz7 said:

True but who really thinks of her as Diana instead of Artemis? Besides Diana is a much more common name in peoples minds.

And Marston was well known for using a combination of Roman and Greek naming versions throughout his run. Ares was Mars for instance, but he used Athena rather than Minerva and Aphrodite rather than Venus.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By dernman

@csg_cl said:
    @dernman said:
    @gamiz7 said:

And Marston was well known for using a combination of Roman and Greek naming versions throughout his run. Ares was Mars for instance, but he used Athena rather than Minerva and Aphrodite rather than Venus.

Ares is a far superior name to Mars and I don't feel like I'm going on a limb when I say I believe most people think of him as Ares and not Mars. Same thing goes for Athena>Minerva, Aphrodite>Venus, Zeus>Jupiter, Hera>Juno, Hades>Pluto, and so on.

Especially now that most of those names now symbolize planets instead of the gods they represented in the past.

Edit: Superior was the wrong word but I hope you get what I was trying to say.

EDIT2: Besides it's bad using those Roman names because that's a good example culture appropriations.

Ok I'm joking about edit2 using that as a reason not to like them. Though in truth that's how those names came about.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:
    @csg_cl said:
    @dernman said:
    @gamiz7 said:

Ares is a far superior name to Mars and I don't feel like I'm going on a limb when I say I believe most people think of him as Ares and not Mars. Same thing goes for Athena>Minerva, Aphrodite>Venus, Zeus>Jupiter, Hera>Juno, Hades>Pluto, and so on.

Especially now that most of those names now symbolize planets instead of the gods they represented in the past.

Edit: Superior was the wrong word but I hope you get what I was trying to say.

I agree with you .. mostly I think as a society today we identify the classic Greek names as the "original" names for these deities.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:
    @agent_z said:
    @dernman said:

Why?

Well said Scorpio, two characters named Artemis doesn't throw me. Also I didn't know that, thank you for sharing this little knowledge nugget

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scorpio_cassadine said:
    @dernman said:
    @agent_z said:
    @dernman said:

Why?

Well said Scorpio, two characters named Artemis doesn't throw me. Also I didn't know that, thank you for sharing this little knowledge nugget

No, thank you, I'm just happy to participate.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@archizooom said:
    @scorpio_cassadine said:
    @dernman said:
    @agent_z said:
    @dernman said:

Why?

No, thank you, I'm just happy to participate.

Can you two delete me out of the convo if you're going to continue.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

@dernman said:
    @agent_z said:
    @dernman said:

Why?

To be fair, Artemis was born in Bana Mighdall where they didn't worship the Olympians and hadn't done so for thousands of years. Plus it's not all that uncommon for people to have names that can be traced back to a deity.

Agent_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:
    @agent_z said:
    @dernman said:

Why?

To be fair, Artemis was born in Bana Mighdall where they didn't worship the Olympians and hadn't done so for thousands of years. Plus it's not all that uncommon for people to have names that can be traced back to a deity.

It is odd to name her after a diety they don't worship and whom they're not supposed to be fond of in the first place though.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent_z said:

It is odd to name her after a diety they don't worship and whom they're not supposed to be fond of in the first place though.

Well, most Norwegians and Icelandics don't worship the Norse gods either, but Thor is still a very popular boys name.

On top of that, considering that Themyscira had faded into myths among the Bana, who were mortal, it could be that the name to them is more of a traditional one and the original significance of Artemis as a deity has faded from their memory. Kinda like how it's very odd that Diana is named like she is, after the Roman name for Artemis, but that this is perhaps lost on the Amazons who just read it off Diane Trevor's jacket. (Likewise they might not know who Juno, Mineva or Jupiter is.)

alsummers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I guess this confirms that Artemis will remain a solid part of Wonder Woman's stories. Not sure I like the outfit though. I liked it when she wore simpler clothing, added more variation after they uber armored Wonder Woman.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I guess this confirms that Artemis will remain a solid part of Wonder Woman's stories. Not sure I like the outfit though. I liked it when she wore simpler clothing, added more variation after they uber armored Wonder Woman.

Giving it a rethink, I kinda have to agree with the design is more accurate to what someone like Artemis would actually wear. Like, she isn't Diana, she isn't bulletproof or any of that, so a bit of armor makes sense in her case (where it doesn't with Diana), likewise Artemis was by Byrne depicted as being highly resourseful, so I kinda have to agree that the belt-o-pouches makes sense for her to have, simply to carry around all manner of bits and bobs she might need. What I don't agree with is the Warcraft/Warhammer sized axe on her back or the manner of which she keeps it there. Fair enough she keeps her sword there for easy reach... but how on earth is she going to get the axe out in a hurry if it's wrapped up in bandages like that? And what exactly does she expect to be fighting where a monster like that would be appropriate?

Super-Wonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the look for Artemis here. It's Dark like her attitude.

It would be interesting to find a link between all the red head amazons but since Johns expunged the Azzarello back story of the Amazons being Pirate raiders scoring booty, Aleka shouldn't exist as she was a character that was supposed to have grown up with Diana. . . . But she was also supposed to be dead too . . .

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Makes me wonder if they are going to bring back the Bana ... it would be an easy way to explain the divide on PI and even give some context to the sex raids. Not that there aren't other options, but given the spirit of Rebirth I could totally see them explaining that the N52 Amazon's were really a group of Bana's that had "forgotten" their more gentle sisters ways and now we have those women re-entering the world of WW.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually liked her attire in the Wonder Woman animation film.

Super-Wonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:

Makes me wonder if they are going to bring back the Bana ... it would be an easy way to explain the divide on PI and even give some context to the sex raids. Not that there aren't other options, but given the spirit of Rebirth I could totally see them explaining that the N52 Amazon's were really a group of Bana's that had "forgotten" their more gentle sisters ways and now we have those women re-entering the world of WW.

I would love to see the return of the Bana. I think that the sex raids thing has been axed though. Johns has said repeatedly that Rebirth is in motion to bring back the good things and the Azzarello Amazon procreation method may not fit into this effort.

Looks like Diana's Rebirth started with Darksied War and the proclamation that she was the only child born to an island of Amazons (women).

No Caption Provided

This dismisses Azzarello Amazon procreation (seen as an afront to Amazon nature in DC's history), and Aleka as she was shown to have grown up with Diana.

I would love to see the return of the Bana and the Artemis character design is promising here.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@super-wonder: good point in the already axing of the sex raids. We'll see how much of N52 gets retconned, but I too would like to see the Bana back ... IMO they made the Amazons more interesting.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By dernman

I rather not have the Bana back unless they're against WW's Amazons. I wouldn't mind another group of Amazons but I would really like them to be a darker bad version of the tribe WW comes from. This could be the version where all the negative imagery for Amazons come from that people associate from history. Like the sex raids.They can also be one of the reasons why WW's Amazons still train hard to be warriors.

laidblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By laidblack

Bit to busy for me, but it's decent.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By CSG_CL

@dernman said:

I rather not have the Bana back unless they're against WW's Amazons. I wouldn't mind another group of Amazons but I would really like them to be a darker bad version of the tribe WW comes from. This could be the version where all the negative imagery for Amazons come from that people associate from history. Like the sex raids.They can also be one of the reasons why WW's Amazons still train hard to be warriors.

I agree ... I like the Bana as the sort of Anti-Amazons

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.