Follow

Wolverine

Character » Wolverine appears in 16071 issues.

A long-lived mutant with the rage of a beast and the soul of a Samurai, James "Logan" Howlett's once mysterious past is filled with blood, war, and betrayal. Possessing an accelerated healing factor, keenly enhanced senses, and bone claws in each hand (along with his skeleton) that are coated in adamantium; Wolverine is, without question, the ultimate weapon.

Would a good Wolverine movie have to be rated "R"?

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By ImperiousRix

I am someone who believes that a movie, no matter what the rating, can be good.  My favorite movies include those rated "G" all the way to those rated "R", and I don't subscribes to the musings that because an action movie is rated "PG-13" (Terminator: Salvation, anyone?), it doesn't mean that it's going to suck.  

Having said that, there are obviously some subjects that can truly benefit from a more graphic and gritty portrayal.  For example, a Punisher movie could never be done with any kind of justice in a family-appropriate setting.  After X-Men Origins: Wolverine, I believe one of these characters which would benefit from a more graphic telling is Wolverine.  Personally, I think his life and origins are too dark, violent, and tumultuous to not be shown in the dirtiest of details (not to mention he has GIANT EFFING KNIVES ON HIS HANDS!).  I understand that he's a popular character and studios don't want to lose out on money by making a movie that the maximum amount of people won't be able to see, but I think the character deserves to be given a more serious reboot. 

But what does the Comic Vine community think?  Do you think a Wolverine-centric movie should be rated "R", or do you think that it's possible to do the character's solo adventures justice with a tamer approach? 
    Discuss.

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Caligula

I think it would help, but it's not needed

Donnieman v5.1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Donnieman v5.1

It would hep but wouldn't be completely necessary. I think the R rating in general allows a lot more freedom content wise.

Kastiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Kastiel

No, not really. Especially since the fan base is centered around the younger crowd.

G Bird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By G Bird

A good Wolverine movie needs to be at least PG13, but a great Wolverine movie would have to be rated R.

kristop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By kristop

A good Wolverine movie would have to not be leaked on to the internet prior to its release.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#7  Edited By xerox_kitty

Marvel & Disney decided that there wont be any more R/18 rated Marvel movies.  They'll get more 'bums on seats' that way, instead of ostracising a large portion of their cinema-going audience (who would then turn to internet piracy to see it instead). 

Personally, I don't think a Wolverine movie needs to be that violent.  Movie producers & writers just aren't creative enough.  After all, Wolverine's stories were still mature & violent enough for general publication to all ages back in the days of the Comics Code Authority.  The films should be able to reproduce that kind of story-telling in this day & age.

Gothic Storm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By Gothic Storm

Wolverine is one of the most violent comic book heroes out there and always has been. But, that's his personality and character. You would be wild and violent too if someone laced your entire skeleton with some weird metal, extracted your memories, then caused you to run off into the wilderness for God knows how long. The Wolverine stories way back in the 80s and 90s were incredible, but they had to be limited in blood and gore due to the Comics Code Authority. Everyone back then thought the only way to sell comics was to keep that seal on your covers. However, soon they learned that the BEST way to sell their books is to do stories on drugs, alcohol, and other sensitive subjects for kids and teens. My mom is a schoolteacher and my step-father a principal. They would go and buy comics just to display in schoolrooms and put in the school library. Chris Claremont wrote the best, and most violent, Wolverine stories in my opinion. His novel from the X2 screenplay is such a great read and incredibly violent! The scene from where Stryker's men infiltrate the X-mansion was a bloody massacre in Claremont's novel. If FOX had used his novel instead of the original screenplay then it would have easily been an R rating in theaters. 

Still, I did enjoy the action in the Wolverine movie. It could have been grittier, but we should get all the grit and darkness we need in the sequel, since it will be set in Madripoor.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#9  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

It doesn't need tons of violence to make it good, all it needs is a good story.

LT1085

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By LT1085

The entire reason for Wolverine is graphic violence.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By InnerVenom123

If they want to make more money, an R rating would hurt more than help.

If they want to be faithful to the character, then yes, R all the way.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ImperiousRix
    @xerox-kitty:  
    Oh wow, really?  I suppose it would hurt Disney's "family-oriented" image to be making an "R"-rated movie (especially because they wouldn't be able to market merchandise to kids), but that's still kind of a bummer to hear. 
    @Gothic Storm:  
    That mansion scene from X2 was probably my favorite scene with Wolverine from the entire franchise.  It was brutal and intense and was able to convey that without super-graphic violence.  That being said, Wolverine as a whole just seemed too... nice throughout the entire series.  Don't get me wrong, I think Hugh Jackman did an alright job, but I think after the second movie, they just focused on making him a more likable and human character through means of comedy. 
    @War Killer:

I think this too is an issue.
    Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By Magian

That's the thing now days. They are trying to make everything family-friendly. What bothers me is when people complain about graphic violent scenes. In real life crime is family-friendly? Don't get me wrong, I don't mean that everything should be bloody and gritty, just not all things are family-friendly.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc7df6492da
    deactivated-5ffc7df6492da

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

Well at least he'll be able to slice and dice people

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ImperiousRix
    @ComicMan24 said:
    " That's the thing now days. They are trying to make everything family-friendly. What bothers me is when people complain about graphic violent scenes. In real life crime is family-friendly? Don't get me wrong, I don't mean that everything should be bloody and gritty, just not all things are family-friendly. "
    Right.  I'm not saying that Wolvie has to be decapitating people the whole movie, it'd just be nice if they acknowledged the fact that when he cuts somebody... they should... I dunno... bleed maybe? 
    Not to mention some of the better Wolverine stories are very mature and gritty, so I feel a solo movie with Wolverine should be a bit on the darker side.
    Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By Magian
    @ImperiousRix:
    And let's not forget that his main abilities are healing wounds and long blade coming out of his hands. That doesn't exactly screams family-friendly.
    Doombert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By Doombert

Not to compare one to the other...more than this one brief observation anyways... 

After making Passion of the Christ I remember Gibson in an interview and they asked about the brutality of the story.  There are parts in that movie that can make you cringe.  The guy asked why they did that, couldnt they get the same effect some other way?

Gibson said no, they couldn't.  He wanted people to see what he went through, according to the SOURCE material.

With that being said if they ever properly told the Weapon X project instead of what they delivered to us with that giant piece of crap thing they called a movie it has to be brutal.  If its not brutal you walk away thinking the project was no big thing, thats how I felt after watching origins anyways.

The Dave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By The Dave

The Hulk vs Wolverine animated movie was more violent and gritty than X-men origins: wolverine.

While it perhaps isn't needed to make a good Wolverine movie, I do think the character would benefit from an R rating. I mean the game from the movie was an R18.. and well, it was pretty good. (I preferred it over the movie.. a lot.) With Wolvy's tragic past (still shown in the pg13 movie anyway) he isn't really supposed to be family friendly in my eyes. A family friendly razor-clawed mutant death machine.. lol

See I always figured Wolverine was struggling with the animal inside.. and the fact that he is quite capable of cutting people into cubes I actually thought the Wolverine movie was going to be R rated at first.. its probably why I was so disappointed with it.

Besides if it was an R rated movie kids would still LOVE it. They may even love it more so than its pg13 counterpart. I mean, who here is perhaps 30yrs old plus and didn't love Die Hard as a kid? I know I did, and I wasn't supposed to watch it because of its rating ( I was about 7 or 8 years old)

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

Nope.

Avatar image for deadlywolverine
    DeadlyWolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DeadlyWolverine

It would benefit the character, being able to portray a more ruthless true to the comics Wolverine. 
    More action is also welcome. :D

BURNTHEPRIEST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By BURNTHEPRIEST

Wolverine needs a rated R film. Look at what happened to the John McLane character in Die Hard 4, John Mclane was castrated in that film, they watered him down which is why that film and the Wolverine film blows...

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

well from someone that just watched Punisher War Zone for the first time(literally 5 minutes ago)...I'm still in shock... 

As far as Wolverine goes it could go either way....PWZ was excessively violent and I'm still not exactly warmed up to the idea of R rated comic movie just yet... 

I realize certain stories can't help but be rated R as movies but...whew...

punisher1031

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By punisher1031

@g_bird: have you read wolverine: old man Logan?, THAT is the R Rated wolverine lol, i think you would really enjoy it

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Hell yea he needs a rated R film!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.