Follow

Wolverine

Character » Wolverine appears in 16062 issues.

A long-lived mutant with the rage of a beast and the soul of a Samurai, James "Logan" Howlett's once mysterious past is filled with blood, war, and betrayal. Possessing an accelerated healing factor, keenly enhanced senses, and bone claws in each hand (along with his skeleton) that are coated in adamantium; Wolverine is, without question, the ultimate weapon.

Wolverine metal claws vs bone claws

LoganRogue24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By LoganRogue24

hey guys do you like Logan with metal claws or bone claws. to be honest i never liked the bone claw idea cause in my opion its kind of stupid. i like that weapon x gave him his claws along with his adamantium skelaton cause to me it sounds more grusume and more gritty then the metal just covered his bone claws. which if that was the case it would not be all sharp but would be boney like. love to hear your opion.

Demonturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By Demonturtle

At first, I was very excited when everyone first found out that he had bone claws underneath the Adamantium! But the story lines resulting from that were pretty weak and are probably my least favorite out of the ones Ive read so far. I understand the trauma involved and the reasoning behind it, but it wasnt handled well. Overall, I like him with the metal claws, it fits his moniker as the ultimate killing machine!

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

I like the bone claw idea quite well, metal claws though is his trademark.

labarith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By labarith

Bone "Claws" doesn't make much sense, biologically. Let alone for cutting.

"proper (re)bonding" made for a more healtastic wolverine... but without adamantium he'd heal even greater.

Powerzone789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Powerzone789

Wolverine has always had bone claws, weapon x never gave him the claws, they just gave him the adamantium and i think the bone claws make him look more feral and make him a more realistic character, but the adamantium makes him more unkillable soo

LoganRogue24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By LoganRogue24

well in the x-men 2 movie stryker said he gave Logan his claws and in x-men 1 Jean Greys x rays of Logans bones clearly showed his claws were metal implants yet in the Wolverine origins movie there bone claws makes no sense to me. i thought in the comics that weapon x gave him the metal claws but when Magneto ripped the metal out of him the writers gave him the bone claws cause Logan without claws would be weird or something.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By joshmightbe

I like the idea that he always had claws but I hated it when he lost his adamantium despite the fact that it was one of the most awesome scenes in a Marvel comic ever

marvelftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By marvelftw

his adamantium claws are like 10x better. if he had bone claws then he couldn't cut through near as many things, thus making him much less a threat.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By joshmightbe

does anyone have a scan of Magneto ripping out Wolverine's adamantium I know its off topic but it looks cool

marvelftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By marvelftw

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By joshmightbe

@marvelftw: Thanks I love that scene

marvelftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By marvelftw

no problem

Sir_Deadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Sir_Deadpool

if the bone claws are breaking up. will grew new ones?

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By TheGoldenOne
    Metal claws.
    infonation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By infonation

@Sir_Deadpool: Yeah, Wolverine's healing factor has literally gotten so strong it can regenerate his limbs, organs, and braincells but his claws as well, so even if you broke off his claws he'd just grow new ones sooner or later.

Chevaliere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Chevaliere
    @infonation said:

@Sir_Deadpool: Yeah, Wolverine's healing factor has literally gotten so strong it can regenerate his limbs, organs, and braincells but his claws as well, so even if you broke off his claws he'd just grow new ones sooner or later.

I understand that, but if those stories of old future Wolverine are to be taken into account, shouldn't his healing be getting worse with age? Surely he can't still be in the prime of his healing, can he?
    marvelftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By marvelftw

@Sir_Deadpool: yeah, but its pointless because that problem wouldnt happen in the first place with adamantium ones.

Sir_Deadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Sir_Deadpool

@infonation: thanks a lot. did not know that his healing factor is this strong

@marvelftw: Yeah you're right. I prefer adamantium claws too

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By z3ro180

i like the fact that the claws were already part of his skelinton and that the metal was added to them.

Hazlenaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By Hazlenaut

If he had bone claws he would be faster since he lost 100 pounds of his antimantium exoskeleton and his healing would be faster too. We all know the metal claws are his theme maybe it should be down for Laura. wouldn't healing bones and making them as weapon mean he be little bit like Marrow. He will have to ask how she does it

infonation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By infonation

@LordHuntingrathII: Actually, I think Wolverine's healing factor steps in and out, when he was first intruduced he was able to heal minor injures very quickly, but after awhile he became able to recver from some very nasty wounds indeed! Sabertooth was the same way, when he first appeared he was a main enemy of Iron Fist and he wasn't much more than a very strong thug with a costume and a gimmick that loved to give poor Irin Fist a hard time. Now he's capable of going toe-to-toe with Wolvie like it's all fun and games. Yes I know we can just blame writers and editors for this, but it could actually lead to some pretty decent character development! After all, for the most part, Wolverine needs his healing factor just to SURVIVE! So what happens if it ever goes away?...

bat22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My bros. and I were very big on the X-Men during FATAL ATTRACTIONS, so Wolvie losing all his adamantium was huge. The bone claws reveal was gross but I didn't object to it. You also felt bad for Logan because his healing factor was shot. All in all, he was the polar opposite of later nuke-resistant Wolverine.

Looking back, and now w/ the films, the bone claws are a feature I can do completely without. Wolvie's natural mutant abilities should be his healing factor and enhanced senses. The bone claws feel unnatural because of the damage they've always caused Logan when popping them out, something you don't see w/ animals and their claws.

There's also a short story I remember since before I got into the X-Men, where Logan is dreaming of himself, naked and simple-minded, facing off against the metal skeleton w/ its claws. That, to me, is where the claws should originate from: the program that turned a simple enough mutant into a living weapon.

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
    TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked the bone claw Idea a lot actually. I do prefer the adamantium laced claws though.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By fodigg

Bone claws made sense to me because "why did the adamantium bonding process just happen to produce claws?" was always a question that bothered me after reading the Weapon X backstory. Like, if they didn't explicitly set out to give him claws, why would that just randomly happen? That's weird.

That said, I prefer his stories with the metal claws and I preferred the pre-James backstory where it was mostly a mystery before the Weapon X program.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

BONE CLAAAWW!!

No Caption Provided

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I kind of liked how the original stories intended wolverine to have been given claws during the adamantium process. It seemed more like they took a guy, who happened to have healing powers, and tried to make him nothing but a weapon. It seemed darker and more fitting to his character.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tparks said:

I kind of liked how the original stories intended wolverine to have been given claws during the adamantium process. It seemed more like they took a guy, who happened to have healing powers, and tried to make him nothing but a weapon. It seemed darker and more fitting to his character.

If I'm recalling correctly, the Weapon X program didn't intend to give him claws. They were pumping adamantium in him and one of the techs was like 'Durrrr...there's a bunch of it going to his wrists.'

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fodigg: Ya, I think your right now that I think about it a little more. Accidental claws is pretty silly.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 god_spawn  Moderator

@tparks said:

I honestly hated that idea and I agreed with the notion about it that really anyone could then become Wolverine just by donning the gloves and outfit. It would have just been too easy to replace Logan if something happened. I mean look at how many people have been Batman or Captain America when all they needed to do was know how to fight well and put on the outfit. Tim, Jason, and Dick were all trying to be Batman before and could have been. John Walker was Cap before. Clint Barton almost became Cap. Bucky ended up carrying the mantle for awhile. And I'm sure there are other people who have played these roles but I'm just not remembering much. But not everyone can be Superman by donning the costume. Not everyone can be Spider-Man by donning the costume. You can't have any old person slap on a ruby quartz visor and be Cyclops. I think by giving Logan the actual claws they made the role specifically for Logan. Of course that has changed when Daken was introduced and Marvel actually made clawed gauntlets and made the Gorgon Dark Wolverine for a little while. I understand by now comic writers have found a way to really mimic anything so anyone could possibly mimic a character. Someone could become Wolverine if given a nanite injection that enables a healing factor and gives them the slider claws. But for so long they didn't do that with Logan as the role was made for him.

At least that is my two cents.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@god_spawn: Respect that opinion. I like your take on that.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

@god_spawn: That is the best picture of wolverine I've ever seen

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#32  Edited By batmannflash

Adamantium of course!

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Wolverine008

Adamantium all day every day.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

@wolverine08: Something about the bone claws has a visceral appeal to me. And isntvhis healing even better without adamantium?

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
    TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

@wolverine08: Something about the bone claws has a visceral appeal to me. And isntvhis healing even better without adamantium?

yes, his healing is faster with bone claws.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

Yup, without the adamantium on his bones, Wolvie does heal faster.

dfjkl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everybody seems to have forgotten how much of a retcon the bone claws were. Yes, it was intentional that the Weapon X program made his claws. No..they were never gloves. If anyone recalls the Official Guide to the Marvel Universe, they had a whole write-up on the mechanics of his claws. The bone claws were the beginning of the b.s. retconning away of significant Marvel history.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Bezza

..adamantium claws....it elevates him to the level where is a threat to even the most powerful of opponents.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bone claw.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both have their cool parts. The bone claws for me have always symbolized a retro sort of feel. A different, younger time in Wolverine's life. The adamantium somewhat represents his evolution as a superhero and person(Weapon X) when I think of it.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ComicStooge
    wrlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@powerzone789:

Wolverine has always had bone claws, weapon x never gave him the claws, they just gave him the adamantium and i think the bone claws make him look more feral and make him a more realistic character, but the adamantium makes him more unkillable soo

No. They were invented decades into the character's existence - as was the name "weapon X"

And they're STUPID.

amonahanart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I first saw his bone claws I thought that was the greatest thing ever. However, I found in watching the new Days of Future Past [Spoiler!!!] that I missed him totally destroying everything in his path with his adamantium claws.

Avatar image for chaosbringer616
    chaosbringer616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the idea that he's a mutant with bone claws that were coated with adamamtium as opposed to Weapon X just giving him claws to make him a better weapon. Even had he not been born with them but grew them gradually as part of his mutation, I'd take over than just them being an accessory that was just added on to him one day.

SpinnerComix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I like bone claws better. Idk why, they are just so... cool. Like I know that metal claws are just plain awesome, but the look of the bone claws are just so grotesque that it is cool. I mean bone claws look like bone claws.

Avatar image for symbioticspider-man
    SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like the bone claw idea. I also liked it because it gave Wolverine more than just one power (healing factor)

Huir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Metal.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.