Follow

Wolverine

Character » Wolverine appears in 16062 issues.

A long-lived mutant with the rage of a beast and the soul of a Samurai, James "Logan" Howlett's once mysterious past is filled with blood, war, and betrayal. Possessing an accelerated healing factor, keenly enhanced senses, and bone claws in each hand (along with his skeleton) that are coated in adamantium; Wolverine is, without question, the ultimate weapon.

The Death of Wolverine

Jayso4201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

I picked this up a couple months ago, and finally got around to reading it, upon its conclusion I feel like Luke Skywalker the first time he saw the Falcon, "What a piece of junk!"

This has to be honestly one of the worst stories I have ever read, and Marvel should be ashamed of themselves.

I don't keep up on comics I prefer to wait until they're collected and I can read them all at once, but I do see the news and new what was going on, as far as I can tell they haven't brought him back yet, but damn they need to because this was no way for him to go out.

In a word the story was...

Anti-climactic.

He deserved better. As a staple for Marvel for the past 30 years (or however long its been), he deserved better. It was just a piece of crap in my opinion and it didn't do anything to build upon his legacy.

This had been my problem with Logan (yes Logan, not James Howlett, or whatever you want to call him) since they introduced his origin. They took away the mystery behind the man and that was what made him so great.

I just don't get it. I really don't. Terrible. I hope the go the Fox studios route and pull this from existence because this was garbage.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
    deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

@jayso4201: Yup, but it made a lot of money, and that's all Marvel cares about.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#3 god_spawn  Moderator

@jayso4201:

This has to be honestly one of the worst stories I have ever read, and Marvel should be ashamed of themselves.

I disagree. I think this was one of the better takes we have had on Wolverine in a couple of years. What was terrible was the comic series leading up to it. Paul Cornell took Wolverine and rid him of his healing factor, took away his ability to fight properly, made him worry about cutting himself while shaving, and complain about him having allergies. He does a 180 next volume written by the same guy with Wolverine joining a bad team, ditching all of his friends, giving him a scar across his eye and a rose tattoo because he thought that would make Logan a badass again. Throw in a terrible plot, stupid new characters, and a fight where Wolverine fights Sabretooth where Creed has a weapon of immense power and convinces Wolverine to strips out of an indestructible battlesuit made for Wolverine where he beats Creed by punching him in his underwear. The only other writers to really touch Wolverine consistently were Jason Aaron, who can write an amazing Wolverine, ended up writing him like crap for years, and the best Logan at the time was written by Bendis, and even that was meh. So Logan headbutting Nuke's face off, using his tracking skills, forming a plan in Madripoor, still willing to fight Sabretooth and doing so smartly, and fight Ogun when dressing up in samurai armor was fantastic to have Logan back.

I don't keep up on comics I prefer to wait until they're collected and I can read them all at once, but I do see the news and new what was going on, as far as I can tell they haven't brought him back yet, but damn they need to because this was no way for him to go out.

In a word the story was...

Anti-climactic

I will agree with this, it was anti-climactic. However, as I said previously, Logan was written a lot better than he has been. Charles Soule did a good job with handling him for the first three issues, but I do feel that the fourth one was rushed. I think it was more of a time constraint thing. If the arc had been given another 2 issues it could have been fantastic as a whole.

Mayhem_Tha_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

ARE YOU KIDDING ? this was a amazing death of a super hero taking on realistic bad guys not getting trapped in a alt dimension or some BS they try . IF the last few panels didn't tug on your heart well you're not a true wolverine fan. I am very sorry there wasn't enough explosions and pretty colors too keep you interested

Jota23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jota23

"Sigh" I wrote a long post a few days ago and it's not here.

So short version: Death of Wolverine is a bad story.

Soule actually wrote a decent, in-character Wolverine, but the plot was very bad. The story was full of plot holes, convenient interventions from characters who appeared out of nowhere, pading to reach the required four issues, a terrible villain (who was completely out-of-character and inexplicably alive after taking a bullet to the brain in his previous appearance) and an ending that was the very definition of anticlimatic.

Between that story and the follow-ups he wrote, I hope Charles Soule is kept as far away as possible from anything related to Logan, in the future.

Zerdn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still don't get why kill Wolverine and replace him with a tertiary character like X-23. Guessing Marvel decided they want less readers.

Jota23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ARE YOU KIDDING ? this was a amazing death of a super hero taking on realistic bad guys not getting trapped in a alt dimension or some BS they try . IF the last few panels didn't tug on your heart well you're not a true wolverine fan. I am very sorry there wasn't enough explosions and pretty colors too keep you interested

I'm a big Wolverine fan and the only thing I felt in the end of that story was annoyance that my favorite character had such an anticlimatic and avoideable death.

Logan dying in a epic battle might have been a cliché, but there's a reason why clichés exist: Because they work.

What doesnt work is Logan dying saving all of four people, who I didnt care about, because he destroyed the adamantium pump, instead of cutting the wires connecting it to the subjects, wich would have taken a fraction of a second more, while allowing him to escape perfectly unharmed.

Mayhem_Tha_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jota23: oh yeah i didn't know you had the blueprints to these fictional machines ohhh wait you don't, you don't know how or why they even ran for all you know there could be a donkey in the back with a carrot in his mouth making the whole show spark YOU DON'T KNOW how he could shut down the machine you're just being a little nit picky brat assuming that it's like cutting the blue wire in every tv show . WHATS A EPIC BATTLE SOMETHING THAT INVOLVES GREAT STRUGGLE HMM how about walking too the top of a building covered in the strongest metal ever thats also on fire , it may not look tough to the foolish but that's hilarious you think a self sacrifice to take down a real life villain not some super powered punk BUT A REAL LIFE VILLAIN is anti climatic seeing and how his healing factor was gone , well go ahead and pick up the next copy of squirrel girl . it's perfect for children

Jota23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jota23: oh yeah i didn't know you had the blueprints to these fictional machines ohhh wait you don't, you don't know how or why they even ran for all you know there could be a donkey in the back with a carrot in his mouth making the whole show spark YOU DON'T KNOW how he could shut down the machine you're just being a little nit picky brat assuming that it's like cutting the blue wire in every tv show . WHATS A EPIC BATTLE SOMETHING THAT INVOLVES GREAT STRUGGLE HMM how about walking too the top of a building covered in the strongest metal ever thats also on fire , it may not look tough to the foolish but that's hilarious you think a self sacrifice to take down a real life villain not some super powered punk BUT A REAL LIFE VILLAIN is anti climatic seeing and how his healing factor was gone , well go ahead and pick up the next copy of squirrel girl . it's perfect for children

Actually, I meant cutting the tubes connecting the adamantium pump to the subjects. Don't know why I said wires. Blame it on me being tired, english not being my first language or call me stupid. Whatever!

Anyway, my point was that there was this pump that was going to fill four people with adamantium. The adamantium was suposed to reach those persons by traveling through some tubes connecting the pump to the subjects. Logan should have just cut the tubes. It would have taken him a fraction of a second and the adamantium would have spilled harmlessly on the ground, instead of on his face.

The fact that his death was totally unnavoideable and caused by a stupid mistake, made it a lot less tragic.

And stop calling Cornellius realistic. The dude was doing the "crazy scientist" schtik so hard he might as well have been Doctor Insano in disguise! Hell, given that Cornelius is acting completely out-of-character and that he was clearly dead from being shot in the head, in his last appearance, Doctor Insano in disguise actually makes more sense than anything that happened in Death of Wolverine.

Logan dying in a last, epic fight against Weapon X would not only have been much more satisfying, it would also be a fitting way to end the story of him losing his powers. Even without his healling factor, Logan goes into battle against insurmonteable odds, keeps fighting, despite taking injuries that would have killed a lesser man, and he foils the villain's plan, after wich he finally dies, conforted in the knowledge that he went out like a warrior and a hero.

Instead , we get this anticlimatic, boring death that doesn't even serve as a good ending to the loss of the healling factor plotline, since this would have killed him even if he had a healling factor.

Mayhem_Tha_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Mayhem_Tha_Kid
    No Caption Provided

@jota23: sorry but the mad scientist role is way more realistic than say omega red with his tentacles, and dont worry you were already assumed to be stupid but not because your spelling . why? because you act like their is a simple thing to every outcome, sorry bambi, but you don't know how the machines were run unless you built these fictional machines , did you? NO, you're seeing the machine and assuming you could do different things because it all strokes down to your ego and what YOU think you would do, so seeing how you like to say that it's anticlimactic over and over. if wolverine died in a little explosion caused by a super fight or the epic stabbing the claws in the chest, it would have been over did and cliche and your description of logan's epic battle IS EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENS, it just didn't have enough bright colors and absolutely nothing shiny. So next time you buy a comic just staple some aluminum foil to the pages and we can skip these little comments .

hercuthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I have to agree that the ending, to me at least, was anticlimactic or perhaps the better way to say it was unsatisfying. The way in which he died did seem avoidable as he didn't have to stand right underneath the machine to cut it/destroy it. I do think a non violent death scene was the way to end it. Have his big battle to save people (would have preferred it being characters who meant something) against insurmountable odds with him resigned to his death if he did it and doing it anyway because saving people is worth it, but it would have felt more satisfying if instead of being encased in adamatium it was just Logan on his knees, his life's blood pooling around him, watching the sunset and coming full circle. I don't know when he cut it and had the liquid adamantium fall on him I felt like saying DODGE!

All that being said even though he has been a character i liked for years and years I don't mind him dying, especially if it had been a little more "satisfying". That being said everything that has come after that has been filth. All the tie in stuff felt super rushed and cr*ppy and with X-23 taking his "name and roll" and Old Man Logan now coming to "616" it has cheapened his death to the point of it being pointless and taking away the significance and impact of it.

Jota23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

@jota23: sorry but the mad scientist role is way more realistic than say omega red with his tentacles, and dont worry you were already assumed to be stupid but not because your spelling . why? because you act like their is a simple thing to every outcome, sorry bambi, but you don't know how the machines were run unless you built these fictional machines , did you? NO, you're seeing the machine and assuming you could do different things because it all strokes down to your ego and what YOU think you would do, so seeing how you like to say that it's anticlimactic over and over. if wolverine died in a little explosion caused by a super fight or the epic stabbing the claws in the chest, it would have been over did and cliche and your description of logan's epic battle IS EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENS, it just didn't have enough bright colors and absolutely nothing shiny. So next time you buy a comic just staple some aluminum foil to the pages and we can skip these little comments .

Dude, it's a machine that pumps adamantium into people and it has a bunch of tubes connecting it to the subjects! Anybody with two brain cells to rub together could figure out the adamantium was going to flow through those tubes. Cut them and the adamantium wont reach those people. It's not hard!

And that end scene had everything I wanted, except for drama, excitement, a sense of closure or the hero showing any competence and inteligence. Besides that, it was wonderfull! Who doesn't want to see their hero die saving four idiots from an imensely lame vilain and doing it in such an incompetent way he ends up killing himself by accident, in the process?

Mayhem_Tha_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jota23: again it comes down to your ego of what you think you could do! AND ONCE AGAIN wolverine was injured calling him incompetent is a joke bet if i throw a bucket of water at you and you been doing what he has been your gonna get wet . no healing factor plus metal bones on muscle tissue yeah you'd be the poster boy for every back and muscle problem on the earth. so incompetent? Please

No Caption Provided

logan weighs without his adamantium skeleton 195 with he weighs 300 , His bones are laced with the metal his joints are cartliage. so with no healing factor his knees where prolly that of a 80 year old man and with the extra weight of his SUPER DENSE SKELETON so excuse him for not being exactly lighting on his feet

Jota23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mayhem_tha_kid: So your point against me saying he was incompetent, is that he sucks, so he should be incompetent. Good grief!

Ok, first: Why are you even reading Wolverine books if you think he's that lame? I'm starting to think that the only reason you're defending his death is because you want him dead and anything will do.

Second: Logan seemed to move pretty fast during the rest of the story.

Third: He didn't need to move faster than he did in that scene. He reached the pump on time. All he needed was to do was swing a couple of times, instead of once, and he would have cut the tubes. It would have taken him a fraction of a second.

The only thing slow about Logan, in that scene, was his brain.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked it

Mayhem_Tha_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Mayhem_Tha_Kid

@jota23: FIRST: how did i say he sucks? i said he has old man syndrome with a super dense skeleton and wobble knees that's like saying michael jordan sucks just because he is old now but he give all of us a whooping on the basketball court to this day

SECOND : you're right he was moving super fast soooo lets think what would all that weight and athletic movement would do to a guy with metal freaking bones , he is going really fast with an extra hundred and ten pounds , his joints at this point looked like a cracked highway road and with no healing factor to repair the joints and cartilage, I assume you know the word fatigue but here's the definition plus, the dude is HUNDREDS OF YEARS OLD (who can guess how many of his organs were relying on that healing factor on a daily basis)

fatigue/noun

1. 1.extreme tiredness, typically resulting from mental or physical exertion or illness."he was nearly dead with fatigue"

THIRD: that "extra swipes" was the three seconds he would of gotten to his helicopter

FOURTH: DISLIKE WOLVERINE? thats almost as stupid as some of the other things you have said but it's clearly in the top three

FIVE: he didn't have to move fast? are you joking? was he or was he not trying to stop someone from escaping? WAIT i think he was (WHAT A SHOCKER!) sure if he had time to cut the machine up and he spilled it on himself and died that would of sucked

SIX: see if you wanna have a big analysis how about you actually take the time and think it out instead of being like "man all he had to do was swipe it more" because that's utter trash

No Caption Provided

Jota23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mayhem_tha_kid: Yes, I said that all he as had to do was to take a few more swipes and cut the tubes, instead of the pump, because that's all he had to do to stop the vilain without getting killed in the process! That's it! You don't need to be a genius to get that. People were bringing that plot hole online hours after the story was published! It's that fricking obvious!

It's a scene where the protagonist get's himself killed in a completely avoideable way, because he did something extremely stupid! I don't like that scene because I don't think Logan is stupid.

OmegaHans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm still trying to forget that one time Death kissed Wolverine. Mother mercy that was one of the most horrible story I had ever read. I wanted to skewer my eyes with kebab sticks.

Jota23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm still trying to forget that one time Death kissed Wolverine. Mother mercy that was one of the most horrible story I had ever read. I wanted to skewer my eyes with kebab sticks.

That might have been the worst atempt at simbolism I've ever seen. Wolverine is afraid of dying so he's going to get over that by literaly facing death! Got it? Got it? Yes, Paul Cornell, we got it. You are a terrible writer!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.