Follow

Wolverine

Character » Wolverine appears in 16078 issues.

A long-lived mutant with the rage of a beast and the soul of a Samurai, James "Logan" Howlett's once mysterious past is filled with blood, war, and betrayal. Possessing an accelerated healing factor, keenly enhanced senses, and bone claws in each hand (along with his skeleton) that are coated in adamantium; Wolverine is, without question, the ultimate weapon.

Spoiler Alert: New Developments from DEATH OF WOLVERINE #3

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

This week, writer Charles Soule and artist Steve McNiven's penultimate chapter of DEATH OF WOLVERINE was released. We loved it, giving it a 5-star review, and we think it deserves a more extended conversation. Sure, there was some very cool action to enjoy, but there were also some pretty big developments. We'll give you a second to grab the issue and then we'll begin discussing all of its biggest moments. Ready? Great, let's go.

Yeah, there's obviously spoilers in here.

DEATH OF WOLVERINE #2 left James Howlett in a rough spot. He was slashed by Sabretooth and then saved by Lady Deathstrike, but then she turned on James, too. Luckily for the X-Man, Kitty Pryde randomly showed up and, thanks to her mutant power, put her intangible arm through Yuriko's chest. Would Pryde really pull off the fatal attack? Yuriko thinks it's a bluff and flips away, but what Soule has Pryde do next is simply jaw-dropping. He puts her power to proper use and McNiven does an excellent job showing us just how brutal the attack is. Go on, see for yourself.

No Caption Provided

Pryde saved Logan from Deathstrike, but his encounter with Victor Creed took a big toll on his health. Half of his face was severely damaged and his eye was destroyed. Honesty, we've already seen Logan with an eyepatch ("Patch") before and thankfully, Soule doesn't take us down that familiar road. Kitty has a magical and oh-so-convenient thing on her called regen serum (because why not?). It's not as advanced as Wolverine's former accelerated healing factor, but it instantly heals his face and leaves him with two scars.

The issue began with some vicious action, but the follow-up offers something unexpected: a beautiful, character-driven scene. McNiven (along with inker Jay Leisten and colorist Justin Ponsor) makes the garden setting absolutely gorgeous. It's a tranquil spot that's full of wonderful colors, so it's the perfect place to delve deep into Wolverine's psyche. He can no longer come back from just about anything and a ridiculous amount of mercenaries are now trying to capture him. Even though he's endured so much over the decades, an experience like this is sure to cause some major reflecting. Wolverine even casually mentions the idea of finding a peaceful spot and taking his own life (the chapter's called "Seppuku") -- something which was surely a spur of the moment thought and not actually what he really wants. It's a really humanizing bit. It's so often we see Wolverine as this blunt, gruff and rage-filled character when he's actually quite intelligent, noble, and caring. Soule brings those qualities front and center without making him seem too soft (like the previous run did). Instead, it gives the character more depth; it's a great way to show he isn't one-dimensional and this experience is impacting him.

Wolverine opens up to Kitty about his real plans. He knows his time is limited and he's going to use it to do what's right. He's lived a life full of tough choices -- ones which few could live with -- and now he thinks this will allow him to be a better man as he moves forward. Honestly, it's a little heartbreaking since he's talking about this latest challenge as if it's just like any of the other ones he's endured. He's optimistic, already looking past it and deciding what he'll do next. Unfortunately, we know the next issue just may be his last one (until he's eventually resurrected, obviously, but enjoy the ride while it lasts, yeah?). But then something stunning happens...

No Caption Provided

"Blasphemy! They have a father-daughter relationship! What are you doing, Soule!?" Don't worry, it's really Ogun, one of Wolverine's older villains, lurking inside of Kitty Pryde and controlling her actions. You know what this development means, right? It's fight time yet again! Ogun's incredibly skilled, so Pryde smacks James around a bit and the hero only begins to take the edge when Pryde starts resisting Ogun's influence. We'll spare you all of the minor details because this sequence will likely appear in Friday's Best Battles article, so we'll jump to the next big thing. Ogun eventually leaps out of Kitty's body and takes over a random and unfortunate person who happens to be nearby. Ogun then leads Wolverine to a warehouse and there's a tank that appears to be melting something...

No Caption Provided

So, it turns out Silas Burr, a.k.a. Cyber, is dead... again. He's an awesome villain, but he just has terrible luck, doesn't he? First he's pretty much eaten alive for his adamantium. He's able to transfer his mind into a new body, but it turns out that body has a heart condition and he requires medicine to deal with it. Daken refused to let him have said medicine when he desperately needed it, and the implication was Silas was going to die once more. Well, it appears he found a way he move on, only to make his next full appearance dead and in a pool of acid -- killed once again for his adamantium! But hey, at least Ogun says he put up a fight.

Wolverine and Ogun reach an uneasy conclusion and go their separate ways, but before leaving, Ogun is there to give us all of the exposition we need for the big finale. Ogun confirms who placed a price on Logan's head (we'll get to that in a bit), but Ogun also does something very interesting. Hoping to further convince Logan to agree to their uneasy agreement, Ogun offers the X-Man more regen serum. Logan pauses for a moment and doesn't accept them. Wait, what?! He says he's "done living forever," but if you're about to bring the fight to Weapon X and want to live a meaningful life after the violent battle concludes, would it really hurt to keep them on you? You know, just in case?

Who's coming after Logan, you ask? It's revealed the man behind all of this madness is Abraham Cornelius, a scientist from the Weapon X program. Interestingly enough, the last appearance of his that I read ended with him getting shot in the head by Maverick (1992's X-MEN #7). Seeing as that's a pretty memorable story arc (Jim Lee's art and the debut of Omega Red!), I'm confident Soule will explain to us why Cornelius has returned. As for this chapter's final page, see below.

No Caption Provided

Since he's collecting adamantium, it's looking like he's making a sophisticated armor with the virtually unbreakable metal. But who's inside of it? As the Comic Viner Equonox pointed out, you can see an ear on the head's left side. What do you think? The final chapter is scheduled to go on sale October 15th and we can't wait to see what happens next.

Bl00dwerK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Interesting, I guess. I missed alot over the years so I don't really know who Ogun is...

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Steve McNiven could do the art for an Ann Nocenti book and I would think that it was a masterpiece

meatwadf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting, I guess. I missed alot over the years so I don't really know who Ogun is...

He was Wolvie's ninja mentor that first appeared in Kitty Pryde & Wolverine. Eventually, Logan had to kill him to save Shadowcat, and he came back as a vengeful ghost.

movieartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By movieartman

Bless Steve Mcniven This is One of the Greatest Wolverine Images of All time!

No Caption Provided

movieartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wish that kiss had been for real...

"Blasphemy! They have a father-daughter relationship! What are you doing, Soule!?"

SO WHAT? relationships evolve and change!

he has been her father figure, a big brother a best friend a mentor he is everything to her there is no reason they could not also be lovers, love & care transcend social constructs and concepts

Bl00dwerK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@meatwadf said:

@bl00dwerk said:

He was Wolvie's ninja mentor that first appeared in Kitty Pryde & Wolverine. Eventually, Logan had to kill him to save Shadowcat, and he came back as a vengeful ghost.

Thanks. I read that back in the day but I didn't remember the guy's name Wolvie fought. I don't think I ever got all those issues, either...

meatwadf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 107

Ah it's almost ending, but I'm really enjoying the art so far

Webhead_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Webhead_99

@movieartman said:

"Blasphemy! They have a father-daughter relationship! What are you doing, Soule!?"

he has been her father figure, a big brother a best friend a mentor he is everything to her there is no reason they could not also be lovers, love & care transcend social constructs and concepts

I think people would be put off by the age gap. But then again, take that logic to its extreme and it applies to every woman Wolvie has dated, so idk. Although there are dynamics that won't be viewed in any positive light by society, such as step/adoptive brothers being together. I think you could make a case here that the father-daughter relationship between the two has developed and grown so much over the years that it basically substitutes blood relation, and makes it equally squicky if they hook up.

HushoftheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I honestly wish Wolverine wasnt dying now. This have been some stellar story thus far, wish the angle wasnt Logan's death. Chemistry between Soule and McNiven is phenomenal and this is definitely one of the best portrayal of Logan in the 616 universe i've read in recent years.

Arinya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Cornelius is going to put Wolverine in that armor. Why else would he want to capture Wolverine alive? I think he wants to continue the Weapon X program and use Wolverine as his main guinea pig.

Equonox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's already someone in the armor...you can see their ear.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#13 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@equonox said:

Nice catch! Looks like many of us didn't spot that. Edited the article.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't help but think somebody at Marvel is now thinking "Hmm, we may have made a mistake killing off Wolverine now, maybe we should have just put Soule or another quality writer on his series when we last relaunched it. There's a good chance it would have become a consistent top 20 book."

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

But.....wouldn't that just mean Ogun was kissing Logan?

Avatar image for thenexusrebound
    thenexusrebound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@movieartman: I agree whole heartily. I opened that page and was just in awe at how beautiful it was.

Avatar image for super_soldierxii
    Super_SoldierXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n said:

@equonox said:

Nice catch! Looks like many of us didn't spot that. Edited the article.

Almost looks like a "Maverick" type mask if you ask me ... hm ... plot thickens ...

Avatar image for super_soldierxii
    Super_SoldierXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren said:

Xactly what I pointed out in the review page. Ew.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@saren said:

Wolverine was kissing a guy. Ha.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#21 god_spawn  Moderator

@saren said:

Someone tell Daken it's genetic.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By ComicStooge

@comicstooge said:

@saren said:

Someone tell Daken it's genetic.

No Caption Provided

WarlordEternal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#23  Edited By WarlordEternal

No Caption Provided

I agree. As odd as it is, it could make for a beautiful story if done right.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the theory that he wants Logan alive to continue the Weapon X program again. Maybe the person under the mask will just be test driving it during the fight with Logan? Wishful thinking

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

I have to say that Soule is doing an amazing job with Wolverine and everyone that has appeared so far.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#26  Edited By Teerack

Maybe it was because they stupidly delayed this two weeks but this issue didn't come close to how good the first two issues were, and with kitty healing Logan is really just kind of cheepined the whole story. Considering how Logan really felt like he was on his last legs and now he gets to start fresh.

I can't help but feel like maybe this wasn't the way the story was meant to go, but something Soule was forced to make before they wouldn't let him tell the story he wanted to originally, and that was the cause of the delay.

HellionVulcan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Can Marvel just keep Cyber alive & give a good run as villain :(.

Krypton-115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@movieartman: That was my favorite page of the series so far.

Can't wait for part 4, which comes out on my 18th birthday. Thanks Marvel.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.