Follow

Wolverine

Character » Wolverine appears in 16085 issues.

A long-lived mutant with the rage of a beast and the soul of a Samurai, James "Logan" Howlett's once mysterious past is filled with blood, war, and betrayal. Possessing an accelerated healing factor, keenly enhanced senses, and bone claws in each hand (along with his skeleton) that are coated in adamantium; Wolverine is, without question, the ultimate weapon.

Question from a noob.

iSylence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By iSylence

I do not profess to know very much at all about comics, but I do find them very interesting. My question is probably rather nooby but it's something that I've wondered for a while and I'm sure someone on here can help me with.
    I was just wondering what would happen if Wolverine got cancer. Cancer is just the uncontrolled growth of cells, and so if cells in his body were to start growing out of control, due to his super fast healing, would he not die very quickly?
    I mean no disrespect to anyone who has cancer at all, I do merely wonder this from time to time and have not been able to find an answer through google.
    I have been using this site for a while but I did only just create an account so that I could ask this question lol :)

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By InnerVenom123

See Deadpool.

Avatar image for the_devil_tiger
    The Devil Tiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By The Devil Tiger

Well, since it seems that the Wolvie's regeneration is the power embodiement of the Marvel meme "status quo is god", it doesn't seem it happen anytime soon, but check Deadpool for the answer of your question : the guy had cancer, and if I remember well, his regeneration power was one of the best, athough he was dying, causing his power to ultimately fail. 

But his power was ultimately what that save him, even if it had to a transfuse him a sample from the Hulk's blood to cure his disease. 

The tricky part, is that Deadpool is a freak experiment, and if I remember well he had cancer before the experimentation that gave him power, so maybe my example is bad. 

But note that his the only known case to me, of a regenerative character with such a disease, so maybe regeneration can be considerer as a 1) A power that prevent him to suffer such disease. 2) Maybe a mutant form of cancer itself. 

So far, it's just a theory of mine, so anybody who want to correct me is welcome !  

And... Welcome Sylence !
    iSylence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By iSylence

Ohk, so the idea is that he could potentially die from cancer, but would unlikely be allowed to. Are there any stats as to how fast Wolverine regenerates? Like in comparison to normal people.

Also, thanks for the welcome :) I spend most of my time on Giant Bomb but I pop in here fairly often due to the new ads they put up for the "sister sites" at the bottom of the page. I enjoy my fix of comics here :)

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#5  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @InnerVenom123 said:
    "See Deadpool. "

Deadpool had cancer before he had a healing factor.  Wolverine's healing factor has been with him since he was a little boy.  So Deadpool isn't relevent to a discussion about Wolverine. 

It's doubtful (not impossible) that Wolverine could have cancer.  His healing factor should eliminate it before it can take root.  He's been smoking cigars most of his life without any worries about the side effects, because of his healing factor.  The healing factor constantly cures the effects of the poisonous Adamantium laced to his skeleton.  On top of that, his healing factor managed to save him after having his Adamantium ripped out through the poresin his skin, and after Nitro obliterated his entire body (all bar a few cells). 

Considering the strength of his healing factor, it's extremely unlikely that he would have cancer.  However, like most things in comics... it all depends on the writer.
    Meteorite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Meteorite

Hmm although I remember that in X2: Wolverine's Revenge (and yes I know it could be considered non-canon) a virus mutated to bypass Wolverine's healing factor. So cancer could theoretically do so to Wolverine.

Bats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Bats

Never thought of it - but you bring up a good question...

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8  Edited By Erik

It is very unlikely that he will ever naturally develop cancer. Cancer is basically cells that mutate and refuse to go through apoptosis or natural cell death. Wolverine's healing factor keep all his cells from going through uncontrolled mutations making it virtually impossible for Wolverine to develop cancer. In Weapon X: Adamantium Men, they used weapons that caused several different types of cancer as a means of slowing Wolverine down. But these were used with the knowledge that they alone would not kill him. 

TheDarkHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheDarkHeart
    @erik:  I just read on the Wolverine page that his body is/was still mutating. I don't see him naturally developing Cancer from say smoking or being affected by industrial waste. As his healing factor would neutralize said carcinogens but I don't see why some outside force couldn't give him cancer in an advanced state to where his healing factor would only speed it's growth. For that matter a Tumor as well. Maybe whoever used the cancer giving weapons choose cancers that were slower acting and could not kill him. Like someone said above, it all depends on the whims of the writers these days. 
    Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Erik
    @TheDarkHeart:  
    I acknowledged that his body is constantly mutating by saying the healing factor prevents uncontrolled mutations. 
    TheDarkHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheDarkHeart
    @erik: I don't see how his healing factor can discern between his still occurring mutations and foreign afflicted mutations? There isn't a sentience attached to the healing factor is there? How can it tell the diffrence. What makes one controlled and the other uncontrolled? Maybe your on the right track but your terminology is just confusing me.
    Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Erik
    @TheDarkHeart said:
    " @erik: I don't see how his healing factor can discern between his still occurring mutations and foreign afflicted mutations? There isn't a sentience attached to the healing factor is there? How can it tell the diffrence. What makes one controlled and the other uncontrolled? Maybe your on the right track but your terminology is just confusing me. "
    The same way that our bodies can detect foreign substances. There is no sentience in our immune system, yet it still does a fairly decent job. Wolverine's is just better. His healing factor knows how his body is supposed to be. If it did not, he would not have been able to grow a new body thrice from next to nothing. It had to construct entirely new tissue and lay it down exactly how it was before. The healing factor is not alive or aware, but it knows Wolverine's body cell for cell.  

Mutations like cancer are not part of that exact blueprint and are addressed immediately. However, it is the healing factor that is causing his body to mutate in a controlled manner. All that really means is that the blueprint is getting revised by the healing factor. It still follows that blueprint to every small detail though. 
    TheDarkHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheDarkHeart

Ahh..
    It makes sense that his healing factor is 'aware' of his DNA and thus anticipating his natural evolution.

Thanks for taking the time to explain that to me.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.