Follow

Wolverine

Character » Wolverine appears in 16085 issues.

A long-lived mutant with the rage of a beast and the soul of a Samurai, James "Logan" Howlett's once mysterious past is filled with blood, war, and betrayal. Possessing an accelerated healing factor, keenly enhanced senses, and bone claws in each hand (along with his skeleton) that are coated in adamantium; Wolverine is, without question, the ultimate weapon.

Modern Wolverine recommendations please?

MiniSaladFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm really trying to become more well-read on Wolverine, he's one of my favourite Marvel characters but I just can't find much to read at all.

I've read Enemy of the State, Old Man Logan, Death of Wolverine and both Uncanny X-Men by Chris Claremont omnibuses but I'm stuck for where to go next.

The recommended reading section isn't really the stuff I'm looking for - I'm not looking for a comic from the 80's which was a really big deal "at the time" or stories that "explain the relationship between Wolverine and (insert character here)" I'm just looking for something that's well-written, well-drawn and has some awesome Wolverine action in it.

Any suggestions?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Uncanny X-Force by Rick Remender. It's one of my favorite comics of all time.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
    deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@minisaladfresh:

I'm just looking for something that's well-written, well-drawn and has some awesome Wolverine action in it.

Despite their age, these comics are definitely well-written, well-drawn and filled with awesome Wolverine action:

Wolverine(mini-series) - Chris Claremont/Frank Miller

Wolverine's Wedding(Uncanny X-Men #172-173) - Chris Claremont

Kitty Pryde and Wolverine(mini-series) - Chris Claremont

I know you said only modern stuff, but the above stories are required reading and integral to understanding Wolverine's character. Also, they're pretty short reads, so it's not like you're dumping a lot of time or money into them.

Now, for the modern stuff that you haven't read yet:

Astonishing X-Men - Joss Whedon

X-Force Vol. 3 - Chris Yost/Craig Kyle

Uncanny X-Force - Rick Remender

Wolverine & the X-Men Vol. 1 - Jason Aaron - this one is lighthearted, so don't bother if you're looking for something violent and edgy.

Jota23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Weapon-X - Barry Windsor-Smith. The Weapon-X stuff might have been done to death but the original mini-series is still one of the best Wolverine stories of all time.

Frank Tieri and Greg Rucka's Wolverine runs. Two very diferent styles of writing but they both did great jobs with the character.

Jota23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jota23

Astonishing X-Men - Joss Whedon -

@sprior93 said:

Astonishing X-Men - Joss Whedon

No! God, no!

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
    deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@jota23: Heh, I loved Wolverine in that run :)

Jota23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jota23

Why? It's one of the worst versions of Wolverine ever put to paper. A dumb, one-noted, drunk monkey that did nothing but talk about beer.

Even Whedon would make excuses for his awful writing of the character in interviews, saying he couldn't do anything with him (then don't put him in the book, jackass), only for people to jump over themselves to assure him that he was doing a great job.

No, he wasn't! Even Whedon knew that!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.