Follow

Wolverine

Character » Wolverine appears in 16062 issues.

A long-lived mutant with the rage of a beast and the soul of a Samurai, James "Logan" Howlett's once mysterious past is filled with blood, war, and betrayal. Possessing an accelerated healing factor, keenly enhanced senses, and bone claws in each hand (along with his skeleton) that are coated in adamantium; Wolverine is, without question, the ultimate weapon.

how does he move his wrists?

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By danhimself

so i'm watching the first x-men movie and they show an x-ray of wolverine's hand and you can plainly see that his claws end right at his knuckles....so how does he move his wrists then?

No Caption Provided

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Their X-ray is wrong.

Avatar image for the_morningstar
    The Morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By The Morningstar

Interesting.. I would assume there is some range of movement for his wrist but nothing really great. Its one of those questions that never gets asked when you're working on it. So my answer would be magic.

~The Wanderer~

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By ~The Wanderer~
    Vance Astro said:
    "Their X-ray is wrong."
    LOL.
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By danhimself

i always just assumed that his claws were stored in his forearms ending right above his wrists

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By John Valentine
    danhimself said:
    "i always just assumed that his claws were stored in his forearms ending right above his wrists"

Yeah, that's what I'd have guessed too.
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By The_Ghostshell

In the X-Ray it looks like theres something in his wrist. It may allow him mobility.

Midnightist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Midnightist

Well from what I can se it looks more like there is a section of bone that looks a bit like a sheath for the claws that is just passe the wrist and the claws seem to stop at the wrist. My guess is thats to make sure they pop out straight.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By danhimself

but still having the claws there would heavily restrict his movement.........also i just noticed it looks like he has an extra arm bone

Midnightist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Midnightist
    danhimself said:
    "but still having the claws there would heavily restrict his movement.........also i just noticed it looks like he has an extra arm bone"
    Well no the sheath seems to be like the rest of his fingers and bendable it may just seem that way cause its straight
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By danhimself

well im not saying the sheath would restrict movement i'm saying the claws themselves would...how do you move your wrist when theirs 3 unbreakable pieces of metal running through them

Midnightist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Midnightist

Well see thats the thing it doesn't look (atleast to me) like the whole claw is there. To me it looks like it stops at the wrist and then theres a slight space between the claws and sheath for movement

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#13  Edited By The_Martian

I guess the movie didn't think about wrist movement. But I'm pretty sure the claws are stored completely in the forearm until used.

G'bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By G'bandit
    cly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By cly

lol @ X-ray

RedGhostman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RedGhostman

Perhaps the claws are flexible as well. Of course they're not bendable but they're not locked into place. 

Remember... it's a movie.
    MrMiracle77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By MrMiracle77

The claws were modified for the movie.  The costume team found the narrow blades that wolverine normally uses impossible to realistically work with.  It was a small sacrifice for the big screen.

I'd always assumed that his hands rolled along the front edge of the blades, which are curved.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18  Edited By Erik
    MrMiracle77 said:
    "The claws were modified for the movie.  The costume team found the narrow blades that wolverine normally uses impossible to realistically work with.  It was a small sacrifice for the big screen.

I'd always assumed that his hands rolled along the front edge of the blades, which are curved.
    "
    If that was the case, he would have to curl his hands inward all the time. The X-ray is wrong. In the movie, he clearly has them fully housed in his forearms. 
    Heathen1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Heathen1990

Very interesting, never really put thought into this until I came across this, I have seen lady deathstrikes x ray now if only there was one for Deadpool in X Men Origins, I would like to see how his blades fit in his arm, I am going to assume similar to Wolverines x ray.

Avatar image for u_r_sofa_king_we_todd_did
    U R Sofa King We Todd Did

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

do they ever show him moving his wrists?

abeyance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By abeyance

they look like they've always been on the top of his forearm. so he can bend his wrist down and up when not extended. I think he's kept a straight closed fist whenever out though but don't quote me on that.

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Nova`Prime`

Very carefully

LoganRogue24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By LoganRogue24

i want to know how in origins and the new wolverine film he has bone claws when this x-ray shows them as man made implants stryker even told logan he gave him his claws. and in the flashes from x-2 logan looked shocked when he first sees his metal claws running away.

Avatar image for manbehindthewires
    Manbehindthewires

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

@U R Sofa King We Todd Did said:

do they ever show him moving his wrists?

When he's captured by magneto, his arms are crossed and the blades facing in towards his shoulders, with an x-ray like that it'd be impossible. Further more, when he releases the blades into his shoulders to break out, they still come out through his knuckles and not straight through his wrists.

It was a movie, and in terms of modern cgi superhero movies, and early one at that, so mistakes were made. I was having a similar discussion recently and iirc in the Hugh Jackman interview in the special features of Wolverine, they talked about how knuckle blades were a prop choice. Like @MrMiracle77 said, they were modified for the movie. It was easier to have 3 thick blades nailed to a pan handle for the action scenes, rather than 3 more classic "quill" blades stuck to the top of his hand, as they'd wobble about. They've still been using the exact same technique, and haven't felt the need to change it as the films have got more advanced.

Up until the movie, his claws often came out the top of his hand via 3 louvres in his glove, indicating that they'd have to be in a pretty fixed position (ie, locked in by the wrist) to ensure they always came out the same way:

No Caption Provided

But again, even in the earlier appearances of wolverine where the blades shoot through his wrists, knuckles, top of hands...

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

It kind of changes depending on the artist and influences though. To get 6 movies out of the X-men though, I think it was worth the sacrifice of raising more questions (still unsettled on boneclaws though...).

2ndKentucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By 2ndKentucky

I read somewhere that the claws were stored in his forearms and the only time he didn't have great motion in his wrists was the transition of the blades from his arms to his knuckles. He would have to keep them straight through the process. With the claws retracted or out, he has free regular motion that anyone else would have in his wrists.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BlackWind

Magic.

bink5501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By bink5501

I know this thread is over 2 years old, but I joined this forum just to post this ... LOL

With his claws extended, they extend past his wrist allowing freedom of movement; with his claws retracted, they withdraw completely into his forearm, also allowing freedom of movement.

https://www.quora.com/How-does-wolverine-bend-his-wrists

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.