Follow

Wolverine

Character » Wolverine appears in 16074 issues.

A long-lived mutant with the rage of a beast and the soul of a Samurai, James "Logan" Howlett's once mysterious past is filled with blood, war, and betrayal. Possessing an accelerated healing factor, keenly enhanced senses, and bone claws in each hand (along with his skeleton) that are coated in adamantium; Wolverine is, without question, the ultimate weapon.

How Can Wolverine kill himself physically?

• 68 results
    mjbiebs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By mjbiebs

This may be a dumb question but how can Wolverine kill himself in Age of Ultron? Can Adamantium cut through Adamantium?

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
    superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

that sword thingy....??

DeathSamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

drowning is the only sure fire way i know of

Avatar image for New_World_Order
    New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

drowning is the only sure fire way i know of

Drowning can kill Wolverine?

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By New_World_Order
    Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
    NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

He could chop his own head off.

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By comicace3
    DeathSamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sabortooth came back from that did he not, amd his healing factor osnt as good as wolverines, i say again drown the fur ball

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Ask the Hulk to BRF him in to the sun

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Bruxae

If he shaves the muttonchops he will die.

Jokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jokergeist
    Avatar image for guardiandevil83
    Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Guardiandevil83

Yea. Logan has kinda admitted to having a fear of Drowning.

Queso6p4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 21

#13  Edited By Queso6p4
    New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By New_World_Order
    Xeno_Seeker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Xeno_Seeker

@jonny_anonymous: thought i was gonna post this first lol. i was thinking sentry.

Malonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's plenty of heat sources that he could throw himself into that would burn up every cell in his body.

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would have to be total brain death; et, asphyxiation, drowning, molecular disruption. One would have to kill his brain to prevent any trace of the healing factor from activating. And not only kill his brain, but also "keep" it dead for a decent amount of time.

@malonius said:

There's plenty of heat sources that he could throw himself into that would burn up every cell in his body.

His brain would still be intact unless the heat source is hot enough to melt Adamantium

Malonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Malonius

It would have to be total brain death; et, asphyxiation, drowning, molecular disruption. One would have to kill his brain to prevent any trace of the healing factor from activating. And not only kill his brain, but also "keep" it dead for a decent amount of time.

@malonius said:

His brain would still be intact unless the heat source is hot enough to melt Adamantium

Is adamantium a perfect insulator now? You'd fry every cell in his brain and bone marrow inside the adamantium shell if you just raised the temp high enough. In Days of Future Past Wolverine is killed by sustained energy beams from Sentinels and in Hulk: Future Imperfect a nuclear blast kills him...in both cases his adamantium skeleton remains.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

#19  Edited By Extremis

@norrinboltagonprime21: yep chopping his head off.

If you wanted to be sure you could completely dismember him as well, stuff the remains with dynamite and blow them to smithereens. Then you could gather them, burn them to ash and flush the ashes down 100 separate toilets. Only way to be sure...

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#20 JediXMan  Moderator

Suffocation.

I think stabbing himself through the eyes or ears might do it, but I'm not positive.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uh, guys? The OP isn't asking how Wolverine can kill himself, given x, y, and z. He's referring to the situation in Age of Ultron:

Wolverine and Alternate Timeline Wolverine are in a cave, and one of them is going to kill the other to stop any complicated paradoxes from persisting. They are in a cave, all they've got is their claws and the surrounding rocks. The dude's asking how Wolverine managed to kill the other him in that situation.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#22 JediXMan  Moderator

@jonsmith said:

Uh, guys? The OP isn't asking how Wolverine can kill himself, given x, y, and z. He's referring to the situation in Age of Ultron:

Wolverine and Alternate Timeline Wolverine are in a cave, and one of them is going to kill the other to stop any complicated paradoxes from persisting. They are in a cave, all they've got is their claws and the surrounding rocks. The dude's asking how Wolverine managed to kill the other him in that situation.

Oooooh.

I stand by my statement, though:

@jedixman said:

Suffocation.

I think stabbing himself through the eyes or ears might do it, but I'm not positive.

That's really the only method I can think of.

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
    NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@extremis said:

@norrinboltagonprime21: yep chopping his head off.

If you wanted to be sure you could completely dismember him as well, stuff the remains with dynamite and blow them to smithereens. Then you could gather them, burn them to ash and flush the ashes down 100 separate toilets. Only way to be sure...

.....And you gather those 100 separate ash piles and blast each one off into a random planet in space far away from each other.......

Avatar image for deactivated-611928878d365
    deactivated-611928878d365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Throwing himself head first off a cliff while in a suit filled with water.

Avatar image for themanintheshoe
    TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#25  Edited By TheManInTheShoe

Maybe drag out the adamantium and then cut him up with it.

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
    SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 41

Loading Video...

These guys seem to have some pretty good suggestions. Great movie BTW.

But in all honesty, he could guillotine himself with an adamantium guillotine.

DarkDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedixman said:

Suffocation.

I don't think the stabbing would work simply because he has taken a gun shot to the eye before and actually later talks about the bullet bouncing around inside his skull. I'm aware that the claw is different in size, but I'd think the same would apply if he's able to recover from the bullet which has greater penetration since it isn't stopped by the eye socket.

I stand by you with suffocation though. Drowning or suffocation would be my go to and if two versions of Wolverine are fighting I don't find it ridiculous that one could choke out the other and hold him until he is completely sure of death.

Bogey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They probably had sex together.

GodTriggerHulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe adamantium can pierce adamantium?

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#30  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@thundergodswrath: @frogdog:

Drowning is only a temporary death if he isn't permanently submerged. Logan's stated the healing factor would keep him in a limbo of sorts if he was put under water. So he dies, revives. Dies. Revives. It's just a big circle at least until he fully dies IIRC via his HF eventually taxing if drowning actually does tax it, despite the properties that come with the drowning like lungs filling with water, etc. Aside from his statements before, he's had his throat ripped out before and thrown in a lake for a good amount of time and eventually came to and swam out. And I do believe there are other instances of people trying to drown him and it not working. So it isn't a permanent death without certain circumstances and if Remender made it so on Daken just permanently dies from a puddle, since he's coming back in July as a Horseman of Apocalypse or something like that, it is nothing but a simple screw up on Remender's part.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@godtriggerhulk said:

Maybe adamantium can pierce adamantium?

It can't.

Edit: The adamantine claws were for X-Treme X-Men Wolverine, my mistake.

New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@god_spawn: Yeah I knew there was something iffy about that.All of Logan's enemies would have drowned him from day 1 than. There are rumors that Logan is going to die next year, so maybe were going to find out. Also about Daken is dead, but the twins brought him back. Remender said he would explain how each of them came back too

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

That's what I asked myself when I read Age of Ultron #9.How the hell did Wolverine kill Wolverine?Because there was no water near them and Bendis wasn't able to try Remender's logic on things and Wolverine can't possibly pierce the other Wolverine's hands and limbs.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They could go the route that X-23 was aiming for when she first crossed paths with him. She kept slicing up his main arteries so that he bled out more than his healing factor could keep up.

Granted, considering everything else that's happened (I am talking about writers here) it would be one way that could somewhat stick with continuity and be possible considering the environment they are in.

(FYI -- Daken's death was stupid)

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

He could piss off Superman.

Avatar image for vampireselektor
    VampireSelektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extremis: Wouldn't Wolverine's spinal cord get in the way of him cutting his head off? His attackers wouldn't be able to separate his head from his shoulders, no? The adamantium would hold his skeleton in place.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

VampireSelektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extremis: I'm saying decapitation probably won't kill Wolverine. Remember the Xavier Protocols? Xavier planned to decapitate Wolverine and separate his head from his shoulders. The Protocols were created when Wolverine didn't have an adamantium skeleton, though. The adamantium would usually protect Wolverine's skeleton, meaning his head can't be separated from his shoulders. Ultimate Wolverine wasn't as well-protected, but that's another story.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vampireselektor: haha I'll take your word for it. You seem to know more about it than me.

Theres to be some way he could die. What If you ripped all the organic tissue from his adamantium skeleton that could kill him right? I feel like there's got to be some organic material left for him to regenerate.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@extremis said:

@vampireselektor: haha I'll take your word for it. You seem to know more about it than me.

Theres to be some way he could die. What If you ripped all the organic tissue from his adamantium skeleton that could kill him right? I feel like there's got to be some organic material left for him to regenerate.

That's the problem. He is ridiculously hard to kill. He's had his arteries cut, his throat ripped out and thrown into a body of water for a good amount of time before eventually healing and climbing onto a ship (which is a good argument against the drowning). He's mentioned that if he drowns, he will just be in a state of limbo. He will drown, die, heal, and come back. It's just a vicious circle for him. He's been eviscerated. He's had his heart blown up in his chest. He's had other organs removed. He's been incinerated down to a skeleton about 2-3 times. He's been gassed to no avail. If you read Wolverine 32, it gets even more ridiculous. The Nazi's tried spending weeks on killing him. This was before his adamantium, btw. They've put bullets through his lungs, heart, skull and then stabbed him repeatedly with bayonets and then thrown into the oven only to come back later. They even made mention they even decapitated him (which is supposedly one way to kill him) and he came back again and again.

It really seems to the only real way to kill him is completely shut down his healing factor. So the muramasa blade, carbonadium etc are poisonous to him. And Cyclops, in order to get the vampires in a good position, Trojan horsed Wolverine with nanites that shut down his healing factor. So if someone were to kill him then, then he wouldn't come back.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He recently killed himself, his time duplicate, no water around. They just showed it off panel, it was a mutual understanding as well, so he knows how to kill himself...not sure HOW he knows this if he has never been able to test the theory out, i am curious what he did.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 god_spawn  Moderator

I haven't completely kept up with AoU, so forgive me on my ignorance if I am wrong, but maybe people are overlooking the fact it was an alternate Wolverine, so the powers may not be exactly the same. I know AoU Luke Cage tanked a nuke and slapped around She-Hulk when 616 Luke Cage shouldn't be able to do either. And Wolverine does seem a bit hindered in the book. IIRC, his leg was burnt and he fell into a coma to heal for 5 days. Soooo, yeah.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#43  Edited By TDK_1997

I haven't completely kept up with AoU, so forgive me on my ignorance if I am wrong, but maybe people are overlooking the fact it was an alternate Wolverine, so the powers may not be exactly the same. I know AoU Luke Cage tanked a nuke and slapped around She-Hulk when 616 Luke Cage shouldn't be able to do either. And Wolverine does seem a bit hindered in the book. IIRC, his leg was burnt and he fell into a coma to heal for 5 days. Soooo, yeah.

That would be the most logical thing because there have been just too many misconceptions.But if that is just an alternate story or that's just a vision or a dream it would be good.But if that is actually true then Bendis is showing us some real s#@t!

VampireSelektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extremis said:

That's the problem. He is ridiculously hard to kill. He's had his arteries cut, his throat ripped out and thrown into a body of water for a good amount of time before eventually healing and climbing onto a ship (which is a good argument against the drowning). He's mentioned that if he drowns, he will just be in a state of limbo. He will drown, die, heal, and come back. It's just a vicious circle for him. He's been eviscerated. He's had his heart blown up in his chest. He's had other organs removed. He's been incinerated down to a skeleton about 2-3 times. He's been gassed to no avail. If you read Wolverine 32, it gets even more ridiculous. The Nazi's tried spending weeks on killing him. This was before his adamantium, btw. They've put bullets through his lungs, heart, skull and then stabbed him repeatedly with bayonets and then thrown into the oven only to come back later. They even made mention they even decapitated him (which is supposedly one way to kill him) and he came back again and again.

It really seems to the only real way to kill him is completely shut down his healing factor. So the muramasa blade, carbonadium etc are poisonous to him. And Cyclops, in order to get the vampires in a good position, Trojan horsed Wolverine with nanites that shut down his healing factor. So if someone were to kill him then, then he wouldn't come back.

There's no guarantee that Wolverine's immune system won't eliminate the nanites.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 god_spawn  Moderator

@vampireselektor: There's no guarantee it would either. Nemesis could make them so they were compatible to his system and therefore won't reject them. As far as the story goes, Cyclops had Dr. Nemesis make them and they shut down the healing factor completely. Wolverine in turn got bit by the vampires and the doctors said his HF was completely gone and he was a vampire until Cyclops pressed a pretty little button that turned his healing factor back on and he returned to normal. The nanite subject was never touched upon after that, so Nemesis could have made them temporary and they ran their course after the first turn off and on or his immune system managed to get rid of them over time once his HF was restored. Regardless, my point still stands and it's a valid way they could have done to kill him.

VampireSelektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@god_spawn: Oh, I forgot about that story. Does the body register these nanites as bacteria? If Wolverine was regularly exposed to nanites, couldn't his body develop a resistance to them? Let's assume the people targeting Wolverine here are around Dr. Nemesis' pedigree.

Have you watched the episode of "X-Men: the Animated Series" where Cable infects Wolverine with the Legacy Virus? The Legacy Virus was designed to kill mutants by disrupting their mutation, but Wolverine healed up just fine. Nanites that shut down one's healing factor are more specific, though. Again, do nanites register as bacteria? Meaning if nanites totally shut down Wolverine's healing factor once, would his immune system resist them the next time? Could Wolverine develop a tolerance?

p.s. The only way I can think of to kill Wolverine is hitting him with enough energy to obliterate his cells.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 god_spawn  Moderator

@vampireselektor: His body didn't seem to mind them or even notice them even with his HF before Cyclops hit the switch. And since it is a comic, I'd say they could make a way that his body didn't detect them. And I only take info from the actual comics for continuity's sake, regardless if the show is based off of it.

VampireSelektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By VampireSelektor

@god_spawn: 1) Yes, but this was his first exposure. What would happen the next time? 2) Maybe, but I'm not a biologist. 3) Adaptations often influence the continuity of their source comics (think: Harley Quinn, Tim Drake's costume). One could argue TV shows and films are good indicators of what could happen in the comics.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 god_spawn  Moderator

@vampireselektor: But the TV's and films are different nonetheless, and therefore not part of the actual continuity so it still doesn't matter. And considering how smart someone of Nemesis' caliber is, they can always alter it so it wouldn't be.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997 said:

@god_spawn said:

That would be the most logical thing because there have been just too many misconceptions.But if that is just an alternate story or that's just a vision or a dream it would be good.But if that is actually true then Bendis is showing us some real s#@t!

Agreed. I don't like how Wolverine is being depicted in Age of Ultron anyway. **adjusts head canon**

Wolverine could be brought down to his skeleton and kept in a vat of anticoagulant dextrant with a high level of acidity to prevent cell regrowth?

Oh he can just get really, really old and die since he does age.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.