Follow

Wolverine

Character » Wolverine appears in 16088 issues.

A long-lived mutant with the rage of a beast and the soul of a Samurai, James "Logan" Howlett's once mysterious past is filled with blood, war, and betrayal. Possessing an accelerated healing factor, keenly enhanced senses, and bone claws in each hand (along with his skeleton) that are coated in adamantium; Wolverine is, without question, the ultimate weapon.

Fox Files More 'Wolverine' Origins Suits

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

But does threatening a few people really solve the problem?

Ouch!
     Ouch!
    Back in December we had reported that the FBI had been building a case against the individual that leaked a pirated version of 'Wolverine: Origins,' onto the internet. It was also revealed that he had been arrested by the FBI for spreading the leaked copy online. Apparently, the film had been viewed by approximately 4.1 million people in April of last year prior to it's May release, which likely cost Fox a lot of money. According to an article in the New York Times, Fox has decided to file more suits against DVD pirates who subsequently leaked the film online via Craigslist.org, iOffer.com and Sell.com. Looks like Fox is taking piracy pretty seriously! Officially, the film company has filed complaints; allowing Fox to use subpoenas to obtain information regarding their identities.

Fox employees, working under cover, gathered the evidence over the last year.

Although the complaints do not reveal the identity of most of the defendants — these people did not reveal their names in the transactions so Fox will now use subpoenas to obtain the information — it lists the sellers as living in many states. Five people were named: Kenneth Slater of Paxton, Ill.; Valerie Rosales of Stockton, Calif.; Ozy Smith of Oakland, Calif.; John Hegedus of Garfield, N.J.; and David Chung of Chicago.

“This kind of conduct not only violates the law, it’s just plain wrong,” Fox said in a statement on Thursday. “We filed these lawsuits today to protect our creative professionals and the intellectual property they spend years developing.”

Now, don't get me wrong, I am not condoning what these people did. It is illegal. But is using a couple of people to set an example really the most productive way to deal with piracy? Why not instead go to the sources that allow for piracy to exist, widespread, on the internet? Having said that, does the fact that a film has been leaked onto the internet really affect it's total gross revenue? Even with the early leak prior to the movie's May release, Wolverine: Origins still was not the most downloaded movie of last year; that honor goes to Star Trek. And even with the leak, the film managed to nearly triple in total gross revenue that it cost to make. Do you think that by going after specific individuals, Fox is being counterproductive in dealing with piracy?
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By InnerVenom123

They're not dealing with piracy in general, they're just accusing the people they know. They're not gonna make an "Anti-piracy task force" or something and take down anyone who deals in piracy, lol.
    Avatar image for abnormally_warm_guy
    Abnormally Warm Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

It's their right. If you ask me. But I wouldn't go this far. It's not like Wolverine didn't make obscene amounts of money.

Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I say we grab him...
    then we beat him, then we kick him, the we tattoo him, then we shoot him, then we stab him,
    and THEN we kill him!
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Two people from IL? Shame shame

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Decept-O

Its doubtful Fox or any other company can stop this type of piracy, sadly.  So they will try any type of deterrent they can in order to try and stop it even if its just patchwork. 
      Still, shouldn't they post the names of those accused after their cases are brought to court, or were they already taken to court?    
    Not defending criminals but innocent until proven guilty in the U.S.A.  

If they were already found guilty, I can't argue with Fox making an example per se.  Similar things have happened to computer hackers.  May not have stopped them but by making their names and actions public, it brought attention to the problem.  Doing something is better than doing nothing.  I hate Fox's mutilation of Marvel characters in the movies but can't blame them for taking some type of action, it just has to be done in the right way.

rrphillip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By rrphillip

Its just another case of old Dinosaurs trying to fit into the age of Internet, doing the only thing they know ... BEAT IT WITH A CLUB TILL IT PAYS!
    The movie sucked, dont blame illigal copies on a bad net gross.

Avatar image for violet_eyed_dragon
    Violet-Eyed Dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

fox is doing what it has to do.  it must have really hurt it having that illegal copy spread.

Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Bruce Vain
    @CATMANEXE said:
    "I say we grab him...
    then we beat him, then we kick him, the we tattoo him, then we shoot him, then we stab him,
    and THEN we kill him! "

*mutters* I say we let him go.
    Avatar image for emerald_warrior
    Emerald Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Emerald Warrior

um... REBOOT FOR LOGAN...NOW!!!  

lol

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By goldenkey
    @CATMANEXE said:
    "I say we grab him...
    and THEN we kill him! "

I say you let me have him first
    Adam Michaels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Adam Michaels

Well, stopping piracy is like any other crime out there, you'll never fully extinguish it. But, if Fox thinks it's worth pursuing them, they have every right to do that. I doubt these legal fees really dent their revenue from all their films, particularly the X-Men franchise.
    Avatar image for omega_the_supreme_being_
    Omega The Supreme Being

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@CATMANEXE said:
    " I say we grab him...
    and THEN we kill him! "
    wait do we get to do this to fox or the pirates
    castleking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By castleking
    just make sure you clear ur cookies and erase the movies from ur hard  drive and defrag..ect ect ect.. also buy a ip mask program and use wireless connection for plausible denial-ability .  also use a share ware program...how do ppl get caught is what i want to know?
    zoist131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By zoist131

Whether the movie was leaked or not it still sucked.

Dark Cell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15  Edited By Dark Cell
    @zoist131 said:

"Whether the movie was leaked or not it still sucked. "

plz constructively criticize someonething with a valid point before opening your mouth.

and they are basically just making an example of someone to disscorage others from piracy so eh whatever.

castleking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By castleking
    i think  the laws need to be changed to only include ppl that make financial gain from piracy should be sued and taken to jail... also including  whatever crime they committed in obtaining the material.

i'm so sick of hearing the music business and holly wood attacking the person every day joe b/c he downloaded information. it is music and visual art!!!!! you cant control that sH@# and if you dont want ur art to be shown and spread dont f#$@$'n make it!!! 

i like to hear what actual Renaissance artist would have thought if their art was replicated and shown through out the world and not just in their small towns and villas their names and faces becoming world wide house names..

also the piracy movie of wolverine had nothing to do with the amount of money it had made... it just F#@$$#'n sucked  it was a horrible movie and it still made money. if it was a good movie i would have still gone and paid to see it even if i had already seen it online...

i wouldnt go on the 1st day i  usually wait to go to big movies with friends and family after i here the review. so chances are i still wouldnt have gone and seen wolverine hearing how horrible it was written

Ben2021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Ben2021

The fact of the matter is you can't stop piracy. But to think that fox lost any money because of  it is ridiculous. The quality of any pirated movie is so low unless the movie sucks, most people would want to see the finished, full and nonpixelated version of the film. 

copymanrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By copymanrules

wow people watch alot of watch that movie cool well maybe the thought of watching movies online will be a thing of the past soon ya think

DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By DH69

arrrr fire the starboard cannons arrr davey jones treasure be mine

dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By dane

I don't think it'll stop movie piracy but it might deter people from selling out their company to leak films. I personally don't like leaked movies, I think the few movies that are worth going to see deserve my money when I go to the cinema/buy them on dvd, the rest get nothing because I don't want to see rubbish.

mimschkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#21  Edited By mimschkin

The film industry just has to adapt to the (not really) new media environment, like the music industry did. Fair enough they want to pursue the one person whom they think 'started it', but surely there were more people who were spreading it around. It made a profit of like $200 million worldwide, boo hoo.

Avatar image for they_killed_cap_
    They Killed Cap!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By They Killed Cap!

You are never gonna stop pirating...as long as some can get something for free that people have to pay for it will always be there.
    Crazy Pan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By Crazy Pan

*frantically hides all the movies she's downloaded* D:

Samuraikenpo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Samuraikenpo

I think they are being counter productive,  What it really sounds like to me was Fox knew this movie was going to suck.  So what they are more pissed off about is that people found out it sucked sooner then later.  In other words they are pissed off they didnt get your movie opening  weekend cash cause you didnt know that the movie was a piece of crap so you didnt run out Friday or Saturday to go see it.  Honestly as a comic book fan and after all the punisher movies fantastic four movies the hulk and load of other suck ass marvel movies.  They should have sent that movie to everyones house as a thank you for still bothering to even care to watch their movies.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.