Follow

Wolverine

Character » Wolverine appears in 16086 issues.

A long-lived mutant with the rage of a beast and the soul of a Samurai, James "Logan" Howlett's once mysterious past is filled with blood, war, and betrayal. Possessing an accelerated healing factor, keenly enhanced senses, and bone claws in each hand (along with his skeleton) that are coated in adamantium; Wolverine is, without question, the ultimate weapon.

Essential Wolverine

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By WarBlade539

Hello. I am a fan of Wolverine and would really like to read some good stories with him as the main character. I have the Wolverine Origins series upto issue 30. Can you suggest me some?

Avatar image for spidermonkey2099
    spidermonkey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By spidermonkey2099

Wolverine mini-series by Chris Claremont and Frank Miller

Wolverine and Kitty Pryde by Chris Claremont and Al Milgrom

Wolverine: Weapon X by Barry Windsor-Smith

Wolverine Origin (a mini-series they did before the Origins series that finally revealed his origin after 15 years or so of it being surrounded by mystery) by Paul Jenkins and Adam Kubert

Wolverine: Old Man Logan (A story set in the future where Logan's a pacifist farmer in a country being run by supervillains. He reluctantly agrees to help Hawkeye in one last adventure) by Mark Millar and Steve McNiven

X-Force: Sex+Violence (a story about Wolverine helping Domino out of a tight spot when she gets in trouble with both the Hand and the Assassin's Guild) by Craig Kyle, Chris Yost, and Gabriele Dell'Otto

Apart from those trades I'd also recommend these runs if you can find them: Larry Hama and Frank Tieri in Wolverine's solo title (Hama was the writer in the early to mid-90s, Tieri was the writer in the late 90s and early 2000s), as well as Rick Remender's run on Uncanny X-Force where Wolverine leads a secret kill squad consisting of himself, Psylocke, Archangel, Deadpool, and Fantomex. I've also heard Yost's run on X-Force prior to Remender's run is also very good, but apart from Sex+Violence, I have not read any of his X-Force stories so I couldn't say.

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By WarBlade539

@spidermonkey2099 said:

Wolverine mini-series by Chris Claremont and Frank Miller

Wolverine and Kitty Pryde by Chris Claremont and Al Milgrom

Wolverine: Weapon X by Barry Windsor-Smith

Wolverine Origin (a mini-series they did before the Origins series that finally revealed his origin after 15 years or so of it being surrounded by mystery) by Paul Jenkins and Adam Kubert

Wolverine: Old Man Logan (A story set in the future where Logan's a pacifist farmer in a country being run by supervillains. He reluctantly agrees to help Hawkeye in one last adventure) by Mark Millar and Steve McNiven

X-Force: Sex+Violence (a story about Wolverine helping Domino out of a tight spot when she gets in trouble with both the Hand and the Assassin's Guild) by Craig Kyle, Chris Yost, and Gabriele Dell'Otto

Apart from those trades I'd also recommend these runs if you can find them: Larry Hama and Frank Tieri in Wolverine's solo title (Hama was the writer in the early to mid-90s, Tieri was the writer in the late 90s and early 2000s), as well as Rick Remender's run on Uncanny X-Force where Wolverine leads a secret kill squad consisting of himself, Psylocke, Archangel, Deadpool, and Fantomex. I've also heard Yost's run on X-Force prior to Remender's run is also very good, but apart from Sex+Violence, I have not read any of his X-Force stories so I couldn't say.

Thanks.

sj_esposito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By sj_esposito

I'd also add Rucka's run on Wolverine and the trade of Wolverine: Civil War by Guggenheim; the latter ties into Civil War, but I maintain that you can read Logan's story all by itself--it's excellent.

remioli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By remioli

I loved Old Man Logan. I just read it yesterday.

Does anyone know about the Daken series? It looks really cool.

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By WarBlade539

@remioli said:

Which Daken series? You mean the Dark Wolverine mini-series?

remioli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By remioli

@darkazrael999 said:

@remioli said:

Which Daken series? You mean the Dark Wolverine mini-series?

I guess so. Just whichever is the best I suppose.

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By WarBlade539

@remioli: Is this 'Daken' series you are talking about part of Marvel NOW! relaunch?

Fryhole3001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Fryhole3001

Id add the whole Uncanny X-Force run to the lists above! The Wolverine mini-series by Chris Claremont and Frank Miller is the best Wolverine story I've read and the trade includes Uncanny X-Men #172-173 aswell as the 4 issue limited series so worth picking up!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.