Follow

Wolverine

Character » Wolverine appears in 16088 issues.

A long-lived mutant with the rage of a beast and the soul of a Samurai, James "Logan" Howlett's once mysterious past is filled with blood, war, and betrayal. Possessing an accelerated healing factor, keenly enhanced senses, and bone claws in each hand (along with his skeleton) that are coated in adamantium; Wolverine is, without question, the ultimate weapon.

Can someone tell me, why is there so much hate for Wolverine?

• 191 results
    laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#151  Edited By laflux

the fact that fan-boys think he's unbeatable and can curb stomp anyone. The overpowered portrayal of him in the feature length movies.

fivestarga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#152  Edited By fivestarga

My only problem with Wolverine is the direction he's been headed in recently. Wolverine the leader just doesnt work IMP. Plus, I despise Jason Aaron as a writer and he has a man crush on Wolvie.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#153  Edited By dernman
    @fivestarga said:
    My only problem with Wolverine is the direction he's been headed in recently. Wolverine the leader just doesnt work IMP. Plus, I despise Jason Aaron as a writer and he has a man crush on Wolvie.
    First let me say I like Wolverine. I just don't like a lot of what they do with him. 
    Now on what's happening recently. It's not just him being leader. I mean I can maybe see him as leader of a group like X-Force but not headmaster of a school for kids. 
    He's like he's a domesticated dog now. I mean come on he was just at a school board meeting. Did you see the way he dressed? He was dressed like a collage professor from the 80s. 

There is a difference between character growth and breaking character. It wasn't natural for him. What would have made more sense was for him to get the money for someone else to follow through but because of fanwanking they say skew the character and used Wolverine.
    BloodTalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By BloodTalon

@thegentlemanrogue said:

It's because in the scheme of comic book publishing history, Wolverine's popularity is still a relatively new phenomena. Unlike Batman or Superman, who have had at least two solo titles running simultaneously for 60 years, Wolverine has only recently reached a level of popularity where he can sustain more than one solo title in the last decade. So some people have a hard time excepting Wolverine being on the same playing field with the big dogs of monthly appearances like Batman, Superman and Spider-man, because they can still remember a time when he wasn't... whereas Batman and Superman have been overexposed for six decades so everyone is pretty much used to it.
    That said Wolverine is a much more complex and nuanced character than either Batman or Superman, so if any character "deserves" that level of exposure, it is Wolverine.

I agree 100% with your top paragraph but then you had to go and ad that last sentence witch I disagree with now don't get me wrong I don't like Superman but all 3 of them (Wolverine ,Superman and Batman) are very complex characters thats one of the mane reasons that they are so popular

Did you not realize that that particular sentence was going to draw flack from wannabe intellectual fan boys? witch it did and then they goaded you into a bad conversation

so in closing wether the Haters like or not Wolverine is on the same level as Superman and the Bat but he is still the new guy and some can't except that. Just enjoy him and let the Haters hate

skaddle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By skaddle

ive read almost every wolverine comic, and hes no where near as complex as superman or batman, anyone who thinks otherwise is a freaking moron.

Lion_Heart22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By Lion_Heart22

He's overused, overexposed and, quite honestly, overhyped. There's people out there who honestly, with all their heart believe he can't be beaten. That he surpasses Iron Fist in M.A, that he could even touch Superman. It's like that time they had him reforming after burning up in the Sun. That's to Wolverine what the Firelord fight is to Spiderman IMHO.

I used to like him a lot, number 2 X-Man in my book. You know, before, when a Sentinel blast killed future Wolverine. And now, with Schism... that's not helping him either.

Alpha_Omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By Alpha_Omega

I agree with the over exposure "BEING HIS BIGGEST FAN". But it's his thing,not simply because hes an MARVEL COMICS Icon,but because thats his thing he's everywhere at the same time "MARVEL insede joke aswell as flawd MARVEL timeline".So you can't just get CORNER him he has been there since the 80's since then there have been an armada of thing he has affected or created due to his presance-OR X-Force is coming for you!!!!

Rickbarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By Rickbarry

I think the healing factor is what bothers me most about Logan. I thought it was supposed to be dulled after the weapon x program. Didn't he fall through space, enter the atmosphere of a planet where most of his tissue was burned away, and crash into the ground at terminal velocity? Yet, in the span of one or two pages, he was completely fine. It was during the breakworld arc.

Zero weaknesses is an annoyance to me. That's why I dislike superman.

Zhakaraz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By Zhakaraz

@Rickbarry said:

I think the healing factor is what bothers me most about Logan. I thought it was supposed to be dulled after the weapon x program. Didn't he fall through space, enter the atmosphere of a planet where most of his tissue was burned away, and crash into the ground at terminal velocity? Yet, in the span of one or two pages, he was completely fine. It was during the breakworld arc.

Zero weaknesses is an annoyance to me. That's why I dislike superman.

Zero weaknesses? He has a number of them. And he can be knocked unconscious. Magneto and Namor were able to come up with a way to take him down by themselves.

Wolverine is farrrrrrr from Invincible

FourthDeity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#160  Edited By FourthDeity

To me marvel is like a stubborn kid. Once they try something and they see it works they simply refuse to do anything else.

Wolverine has been in SO many comics and he acts the SAME exact way in all. Very linear

Wolverine is def in my top 10 favorites but marvel is slowly fucking one of my favorites up.

Lion_Heart22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By Lion_Heart22

I'm sure I posted here before but what the hell...

Wolvie used to be one of my faves. If you talk to a casual, it's likely Wolverine is their favorite character because he gets so much exposure. But once you actually get into comics, you realize there's a thousand characters out there who are as cool or cooler than Wolverine.

He also gets a free pass on EVERYTHING. He's killed enough people to win Death's heart, yet he's hailed like this great hero, and on top of that, he thinks he can take the moral highground in situations like Schism. So, part of the reason I've disliked him more as of late is hypocrisy.

That, and he's an X-traitor. He would be a drooling baboon if it wasn't for them.

BK-77-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#162  Edited By BK-77-7

He acts like an animal, and I think he looks stupid. Now if you asked me if I like the live action Wolverine then my answer would be completely different. I love the live action Wolverine, he is troubled but he doesn't act like an actual animal.

cassiuss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By cassiuss

@Wattup: i sooooo agree with that assessment

Enosisik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By Enosisik

He's alright but I just don't picture him as being able to hang with some of the powerhouses in Marvel.

cassiuss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By cassiuss

I look at it like this...when u were a kid than yeah wolverine was one of the best characters out there but you get a lil older or start getting into other characters you want something thats speaks to that part of your brain that makes you a comic fan in the first place. The story lines in a fans favorite book/character is essentially an escape,for the time your reading those pages your not in your room or on the bus,you r there with the character. And the reason why a lot of fans start turning away from wolverine is there is no depth to his character anymore, i mean how many times do you wanna see berserker rage? He's like that uncle that has no kids but is still running around getting drunk and chasing tail, like yea thats fun and all but some point you have to grow up right.O K lets break it down a little further when he would just go ape nuts and tear some shyt up that was cool when you were a teenager cuz you could relate to that but now its like, ok i wanna see how spiderman/batman/constitine/jack of fable etc etc figures a way out of this current situation. He just doesnt appeal to the cerebral fans out there. I actually got in a heated debate with one of my friends last year about "who would win out of wolverine and cyclops". The whole dam near invincible thing just doesnt do for me at all anymore...thats why im into naruto and bleach now over DBZ. Lol i have actually spent time wondering "hmmm if i had my prefer'd "super power" and i got into a fight with him how would i defeat him?" I dont hate the guy its just...ive out grown him.

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

I think because Marvel uses Wolverine so much that people get tired of him

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#167  Edited By TDK_1997

I love him and he is one of my favorite heroes.

Dhor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By Dhor

Wolverine is NOT a character. he`s whatever the writers want him to be. TO say he`s complex and layered is stupi d. he`s personality changes from one issue to the other. That is not complex, is just bad writing. He`s in almost every team in the Marvel universe AT THE SAME TIME, and in each team he acts different. hes the only character that can be LONE RANGER BADASS and SCHOL TEACHER IN THE SAME TIME

Wolverine is something like this: immortal samurai teacher drunken master mercenary government agent superhero father and i`m pretty sure i forgot a few things

LEAST but least i LOVE the fact that he`s in : The avengers, x-force, x-men and is the sales take a dip he`ll join the fantastic 4 as well\

what an amazing "complex and layered" character :O

Avatar image for oviouslyjeangrey
    oviouslyjeangrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@time: well hes over used all over the marvel comics and he needs to die hes to old and over rated especially when they make him the main character in the x-men that is just plain dumb!

Enigmatri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By Enigmatri

I love Wolverine, I'll admit it. But I'm not going to go as far as saying his unbeatable or invincible. He, in my eyes, is a mediocre level mutant who has been over-hyped not by Marvel itself but by the fans themselves. What started as a character with a mysterious background, a healing factor and some claws has turned into an invincible kill machine by the fans. To be fairly honest his not that much better than Deadpool (for example), both have healing factors and both have skills with some form of blades (if you include claws). Yes his got hyper sniffing skills (I can't actually remember the proper term) but that's not going to change the tide in a war. To me, Wolverine at a closer look is a simple mediocre mutant. Any other characters such as Thor, Iron Man, Hulk and others could defeat him. And don't even begin to compare him to the likes of Superman, maybe in popularity but that's about it. In the end Wolverine isn't anything special, I like Wolverine for his own humour and how he goes about doing things, not for how 'amazing' some fans make him out to be. In my opinion Wolverine is only hated because fans made him bigger than what he actually is, end of. 

krspaceT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#171  Edited By krspaceT

Even chocolate sickens if one eats a ton....

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#172  Edited By sinestro_GL

Personally, one of the main reasons why I don't particularly like a lot of Marvel characters, Wolverine included is the healing factor...essentially acts as a cheap plot device.

Avatar image for necrotic_lycanthrope
    Necrotic_Lycanthrope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

While the character himself is the face of the X-Men (haters gonna hate that, but it's true), he's being overused much like Batman is in the DC universe. Too many titles featuring him or the name "X-Men", which somehow someway always refer back to him.

Every major story-arc has him somewhere in the center of it, even if the titular book has noting to do with mutants. So far he's great in Wolverine and the X-Men because he plays a role nobody thought they'd ever see happen, but now with the new Sabretooth arc and First X-Men, it's just going right back to over-abuse of a perfectly fractured, but bad ass and notably solid character.

Hareil0079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By Hareil0079

Don't hate him, just hate how's he's being portrayed. What I mean by that is a guy many in the MU consider him the most dangerous mutant/man in the world but get's taken out like he's the comic relief/krillen from DBZ (and this is the guy who suppose to have sooooo much combat experience) Just once for a good while I would like to see Marvel live up to that past of his and make him that BA for a while. He just simply annoys me. (currently)

Avatar image for thegodofthunder
    TheGodofThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By TheGodofThunder

Marvel just whores him out in everything and because of that he has lost depth because like someone else said, he's in stories he has no business being in. I do not like him on avengers. He fits much better on new avengers though I personally don't like him as any avenger at all, but thats just my bias coming out.

spawn_123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By spawn_123

i love wolvi but i hate the $h!th thate he cant beat hulk

njones5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't like him because he is boring and they make it seem like he is always the number 1 x man

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because he's popular, and it's popular nowadays to hate on things that are popular. (No matter how stupid that sounds)

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because he's popular, and it's popular nowadays to hate on things that are popular. (No matter how stupid that sounds)

Not true, I hate him because I can never get over his mask being the same shape as his hair. How do the pointy ends of his hair fit, man? HOW DO THEY FIT???!!!

//sarcasm

Avatar image for deactivated-5faef67d08995
    deactivated-5faef67d08995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Everybody wants to be a hipster and hate what is popular.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veshark said:

@wolverine08 said:

Not true, I hate him because I can never get over his mask being the same shape as his hair. How do the pointy ends of his hair fit, man? HOW DO THEY FIT???!!!

//sarcasm

His tailor specializes his hair to fit with the costume! That's the type of stuff you get when you're a big time hero! :D

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
    TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veshark said:

@wolverine08 said:

//sarcasm

His tailor specializes his hair to fit with the costume! That's the type of stuff you get when you're a big time hero! :D

LMAO

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

Same reason people hate Batman; they both suck up a major portion of the attention, attention many believe could have been used on other characters.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

#184  Edited By TDK_1997

Most people hate him because of his overexposure and because they always get out of the situation with the fact that he is a plot device to kill someone or that he doesn't have a backstory that can make him a worthy character.And the people that think that are never really in touch with his past or his character at all.

TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Same reason people hate Batman; they both suck up a major portion of the attention, attention many believe could have been used on other characters.

this is probably the most accurate yet simple reply thus far

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08 said:

@veshark said:

@wolverine08 said:

//sarcasm

LMAO

Hey man, if you become a big time superhero too, your tailor will fit your costume to match with your hair! :)

TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingimmortalman said:

@wolverine08 said:

@veshark said:

@wolverine08 said:

//sarcasm

LMAO

Hey man, if you become a big time superhero too, your tailor will fit your costume to match with your hair! :)

lol my mask wouldn't cover my hair, I have dreads there isn't much that fits over it....

loepower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thegentlemanrogue: on point analysis. People hate wolverine cuz he's an anti-hero that has become more popular than the heroes they revere

loepower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

@john_valentine:

I'm pretty sure that the Avengers were on counter earth during Zero Tolerance.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never knew there was a lot of hate for him.

darktiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.