Follow

Wizard Of Oz

Character » Wizard Of Oz appears in 98 issues.

A humbug magician who ruled the Land of Oz for a time, and later became one of its beloved citizens. He lives in the Emerald City.

The Wonderful Wizard Of Oz, Should You Buy The Hardcover?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Did you read The Wonderful Wizard Of Oz eight issue mini-series by Eric Shanower and Skottie Young? If you've read it or have seen any images from it, you probably have an idea how great this series was. If, for some reason, you missed out on it, check out the video review:

I cannot give this a higher recommendation. I'm sure there will be some out there that simply are not interested in the Wizard of Oz. As you saw, even though I purchased the individual issues, I also wanted to have this in the hardcover format. It's a great story. The artwork is amazing. It deserves to be given this prestige packaging. This is a comic that you could hand off to family members or friends. They'll be familiar with the story but it's adapted from the novel and not the movie. With all the darkness and death in comics these days, this is just a refreshing change of pace (even though there are some dark moments here as well).

Who has read this besides me? Help me get the word out on how awesome this is.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jakob187

G-Man, you just made my day!  The Oz trilogy is my favorite story besides Kipling's work from my childhood.  That artwork is pretty incredible.  There's only a couple of things that I need to know: 

• Does Dorothy have silver slippers and not the stupid ruby red ones?
    • Does the backstory behind all the different characters like Scarecrow disrespect Baum's original work?  I mean, all of these characters have their own separate volumes that flesh out their own backstory, and I don't know if you've personally read all those volumes or not (there's 40 Oz books total, 13 by Baum, I haven't even read them all!!!).  Particularly, the backstory you mention in the video with Scarecrow has me worried...
    • Is this, in terms of art, twisted like crazy in the same way as the Macfarlane Oz stuff?  If so, I really have no interest.

I'm still praying for the day that someone goes "PETER JACKSON, MAKE THE OZ TRILOGY PLZ!  KTHXBAI!".  I'm so sick of people using that crap movie as a crux for everything they know about Wizard of Oz...especially because I hate the sad face they get when I tell them "DOROTHY DOESN'T HAVE RUBY RED SLIPPERS!!!".
    damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By damswedon

what Jakob said

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @jakob187 said:
    " G-Man, you just made my day!  The Oz trilogy is my favorite story besides Kipling's work from my childhood.  That artwork is pretty incredible.  There's only a couple of things that I need to know: 
    • Does Dorothy have silver slippers and not the stupid ruby red ones?
    • Does the backstory behind all the different characters like Scarecrow disrespect Baum's original work?  I mean, all of these characters have their own separate volumes that flesh out their own backstory, and I don't know if you've personally read all those volumes or not (there's about 28 Oz books total or something like that, I haven't even read them all!!!).  Particularly, the backstory you mention in the video with Scarecrow has me worried...
    • Is this, in terms of art, twisted like crazy in the same way as the Macfarlane Oz stuff?  If so, I really have no interest.
     I'm still praying for the day that someone goes "PETER JACKSON, MAKE THE OZ TRILOGY PLZ!  KTHXBAI!".  I'm so sick of people using that crap movie as a crux for everything they know about Wizard of Oz...especially because I hate the sad face they get when I tell them "DOROTHY DOESN'T HAVE RUBY RED SLIPPERS!!!". "

I wrote up the bio on the Tin Woodsman page.  I have not read the original but there is a bit of their backstory in this series.  As for the shoes:

No Caption Provided
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jakob187
    @damswedon: LOL  Sorry about the nerdgasm there, but I seriously loved Baum's books.  The continued stuff after his death was alright, but it lacked the overall flair of detail that Baum had.  Also, Baum's books were never happy-go-lucky, especially if you get into Ozma of Oz and Land of Oz.  There was some seriously scary stuff in there.  Unfortunately, they made that atrocious Return to Oz movie and tried to melt the two books into one experience, and it failed miserably.  FAR too dark, although I thought they got the design of Tik-Tok and Jack spot-on from Baum's descriptions and illustrations of the characters! 

Granted, this is all based on the first book, but I'm just hoping that nothing really clashes with, say, The Scarecrow of Oz or The Tin Woodman of Oz.  As for the Cowardly Lion, well...that was all Thomson's work after Baum died, so I'm open to whatever people want to write for a backstory with him.  Not a fan of Thomson's stuff...although she does keep the general tone sometimes.  Most of the time, though, her stuff was a bit more campy than what Baum had. 

@G-Man: SILVER SHOES!!!  WHOO-HOO!!!  I'm sold!!!  Gonna have to hunt down that hardcover.  Also, I updated the quote you had.  There are forty Oz books, 13 of which were written by Baum.  Also, there wouldn't happen to be a map of Oz anywhere in the hardcover or comics, would there?  I think it would be great to see a map from the perspective of the artists and writers, especially since the entire land of Oz is essentially a giant rectangle!  lol 

*EDIT*  Read your Tin Woodsman page.  If that is what they have in the comic, it PERFECTLY matches up with the canon featured in the books!!!  I CANNOT WAIT TO READ THIS!!!
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By danhimself

I read it and I loved it and now you've got me thinking that I should pick up the hardcover to

crazed_h3ro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By crazed_h3ro

yeah just like what  danhimself said, i will get this hardcover 100%...as soon i come up with the ca$h... damn    
    jefprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By jefprice
    @G-Man: So what you're saying is I need to get this?
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @jefprice said:
    " @G-Man: So what you're saying is I need to get this? "
    Yes.
    jefprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jefprice
    @G-Man: Lol Ok Then. Will do. I think I have a copy being held for me. Just haven't picked it up. Glad to know it's good. though.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jakob187
    @G-Man said:

" @jefprice said:

Yes. "
    But what you're really trying to say is "this is essential material to have in your collection"? 
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By gmanfromheck

Besides the fact that it's a great story, I simply love Skottie Young's art.  I'm even picking up the issues that he does the covers to like Wolverine First Class#18 and Iron Man Armor Wars.  I will pick up trade paperbacks from time to time if I really enjoy a story but something like this, it's worth paying a little more for a hardcover.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jakob187
    @G-Man: So what you're REALLY TRYING TO SAY IIIISSSS... 

Sorry, Jef's prior comment made me think of Bio-Dome.  I couldn't help myself.  Now you can do the "*AAAARRRGGGGHHHH* and walk away" thingie and the scene is fin!!! 

Called my local comic store.  They won't have any more hardcovers until next week...so I have to suffer until then.  =  (
    jefprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jefprice
    @jakob187 said:
    " @G-Man said:

" @jefprice said:

Yes. "
    But what you're really trying to say is "this is essential material to have in your collection"?  "
    I think he thinks it is, I'm inclined to think it looks it.  

@G-Man
    said:
    " Besides the fact that it's a great story, I simply love Skottie Young's art.  I'm even picking up the issues that he does the covers to like Wolverine First Class#18 and Iron Man Armor Wars.  I will pick up trade paperbacks from time to time if I really enjoy a story but something like this, it's worth paying a little more for a hardcover. "
    I've been fighting back getting those. I don't care for the First Class stuff, but I as well love his work.
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @jefprice said:
    " @jakob187 said:
    " @G-Man said:

" @jefprice said:

Yes. "
    But what you're really trying to say is "this is essential material to have in your collection"?  "
    I think he thinks it is, I'm inclined to think it looks it.  

@G-Man
    said:
    " Besides the fact that it's a great story, I simply love Skottie Young's art.  I'm even picking up the issues that he does the covers to like Wolverine First Class#18 and Iron Man Armor Wars.  I will pick up trade paperbacks from time to time if I really enjoy a story but something like this, it's worth paying a little more for a hardcover. "
    I've been fighting back getting those. I don't care for the First Class stuff, but I as well love his work. "
    Honestly, I haven't even opened that Wolverine First Class issue.  But it is sitting on my desk.  I'd buy an issue of just his covers.
    jefprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jefprice
    @G-Man: Haha Yeah I would too. I'd like to get a print from him.
    Avatar image for darth_brendroid
    darth_brendroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By darth_brendroid

I have to find this =D the art looks gorgeous.
    ryanwh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ryanwh

G man spent the whole time trying to sell this to guys who aren't comfortable in their masculinity to appreciate pure whimsy. I mean, I'll check it out because the art looks great, but I'd like to think your general audience is capable of appreciating something without blood and boobs in it. Idunno, I'm kinda new here. Maybe they are that shallow. 
    Actually, after seeing the reaction to the Marvel Disney thing, I totally get why you felt like you had to sell it this way. Its just kind of a shame is all.

crazed_h3ro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By crazed_h3ro

i love Skottie Young's art  it's unique 
    Grendel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Grendel

This was a great series. 

But the people who tear down the movie for not being faithful enough to the book are pretentious nerds. Grow up.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By gmanfromheck

I forgot to mention in the video that there are some "extras" in the book as well.  You get all the covers without the logo so you can enjoy the art.  You also get to see character designs and sketches.  Pretty sweet stuff.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By King_Saturn
    the Artwork looks awesome... I guess its back to the land of Oz for me... lol
    Pheeke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Pheeke

a few months back i got some flyer/info floppy about this that had some artwork and text from the artists, the art is so fgreat!, I am planning on buying it as soon as i find it.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Media_Master

Never had a real affinity for the Wizard of Oz, but since its based off the novel and has impressive art, I'll pick this up for sure!!!!

theredbandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By theredbandit

Anyone who has enjoyed this series should know that Marvel is not quite done with 'Oz' yet. They are following this series with an adaptation of the second Baum book, 'The Marvelous Land of Oz'. If it's half as good as the first series was, it's well worth picking up each issue as they come out. I'm a big fan of Baum's Oz books and have been thrilled by the comics bringing this great story to a new audience. Please support these titles. The higher the success, the higher chance we can get adaptations for more of the books (here's hoping for at least the first five books.) Thanks for bringing this great series to everyone's attention.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#25  Edited By xerox_kitty

I couldn't get the comics for this.  By the time I'd discovered it, it was impossible to get the back issues unless I wanted to part with shocking amounts of money.  If I was going to part with that kind of money then I may as well save it for the collected edition.  The sad thing is, I've pre-ordered it from Amazon (half-price, baby!!) but Amazon have the release date listed for 16 September.  I still have over a week to wait!!  And believe me, the wait is killing me! 

I absolutely adore Skottie Young, so this is a no-brainer for me.  And for a long time I've been trying to get my hands on the different books of Oz, because they are brilliant children's stories in that they do have dark and scary elements just like the old Brothers Grimm stories used to be.  So to me this is a perfect marriage of art & story.  In fact, I'm now torn between buying the individual issues of Marvellous World of Oz and waiting for the hardcover version of that too :)  

But I'm also looking forward to reading this in a 'pure' format. Without adverts for rubbish junk food or brands of 'sneakers' that aren't available over here, or video games that will be outdated when you read the story again in years to come.  I saw this in a few bookshops while in London and had a flick through.  It's great to see page after page of just pure story.  And the sketches in the back are so wonderful they convinced me to get Skottie's own artbooks.

Oh, and the title in emerald green is a nice touch!

What does it say on the White Board about Chew #4? 

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By gmanfromheck

It says Chew on the board because one of us will probably be reviewing it.

LastSon1027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By LastSon1027

I really wanted to check this out when I saw the preview for it cause the art was awesome but I just never got to it. So this is good news I can grab it in hardcover.
    kalel60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By kalel60
       sorry just dosen't interest me if i want the wizard of oz..i'd watch the movie....

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.