Follow

Wiccan

Character » Wiccan appears in 680 issues.

Billy Kaplan, an electrokinetic mutant with magical and reality warping abilities, joined the Young Avengers under the name Asgardian (which was later changed to Wiccan) as part of Vision's fail safe program to ensure the existence of the Avengers team. Wiccan and his teammate/brother Speed are believed to be the reincarnations of the Scarlet Witch's dead twin sons. He is considered a powerful mage, and was revealed to be the Demiurge, a being of great power, destined to one day "rewrite the laws of magic".

Is he a mutant?

bleedingheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By bleedingheart

I hope I am not being a "noob" in asking this, but is Wiccan considered a mutant. Assuming that the Scarlet Witch is his mother. Even if she is his mother they are not genetically related so would he have the x-gene? Is it possible to have mutant powers and not be a mutant? Needless to say I am confused.

MoonstoneEvil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By MoonstoneEvil

I think he is considered a mutant...

iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By iLLituracy

He's never been called or referred to as a mutant. Neither has his "brother" Speed.

Venomtongue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Venomtongue

There is no real evidence one way or the other. He and Speed's powers could be magical in nature or genetic. There is no reason to assume that he isn't a mutant. Beast, Angel, Jean Grey, and Cyclops all had flatscan parents, so its perfectly possible. But then again Wanda Maximoff's reality altering powers may just have given them powers, or her powers may have just made them mutants, after all she can remove mutant powers so logically she could probably bestow them. Wanda's near infinite plot-device powers allow for either option. I think I remember the kids just assuming they were mutants in the young avengers series until the vision told them about the Scarlet Witch's involvement.
    Then again, (SPOILER ALERT) Doom did remove/suppress his powers using magic which implies they are magical in nature. Basically it doesn't matter to anyone except the X-men.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @Venomtongue: 
    It kind of looks like she just bestowed her and her brothers powers on to two kids. He removed/suppressed Wiccan's powers? Last i saw Wiccan just lost in a magical battle with Doom, which suprised me considering how dumb and belittled Doom has become.

@bleedingheart:

how is she not genetically related to him? 

Yes, people will abilities, powers, and mutations can still not be mutants as far as i know. I believe they are called mutates. Basically mutants with out the x gene it seems like. I think its dumb in my opinion, i think anyone with an ability, power, or mutation should just be called an mutant, and all mutants with the x gene could then be classified in the homo-superior species.
    Venomtongue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Venomtongue
    @DEGRAAF: Yeah he totally suppressed/removed his powers in Children's Crusade 4. When Doom did the whole, "You can be my guest or my prisoner" line after he healed him.

Also Tommy and Billy aren't related because they are technically the reincarnated souls of Scarlet Witch's children placed into Thomas Shepard(?) and Billy Kaplan. So genetically Wiccan and Speed aren't biologically related to each other, but through Scarlet Witch's magic/reality altering powers (cough, plot device, cough) they are nearly identical. I think we should demand that marvel have a panel where they do a genetic test to flush out these murky origins.
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @Venomtongue:
    Interesting. So has Wanda found out the truth about her past yet? and have her and Doom been married yet? Does Doom actually love her?
    Leliel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Leliel
    @Venomtongue: I have the same ideas and suspicious as you did therefor I fully believe she created them and give them powers therefor they are not mutants there just mutates
    Iron_Lad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Iron_Lad

It's neither been confirmed nor denied whether or not Wiccan and Speed are mutants. It's part of the ongoing "Mystery of the Scarlet Witch" plot. They're going to keep us in the dark as long as they can keep the story going. Hopefully by the end of Children's Crusade we'll finally get a straight answer.

BlackSandBlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BlackSandBlock

Wasn't it confirmed that he was a mutant when he said that he was part of the X-men in the future in Doctor Strange and the Sorcerers Supreme?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.