Follow

White Canary

Character » White Canary appears in 24 issues.

White Canary is a mysterious new villain appearing in the Birds of Prey series. Her martial arts prowess is said to surpass that of Lady Shiva.

DC creators.....c'mon man

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By cattlebattle

I was reading The Birds of Prey issue with White Canary....apparently she's a better martial artist than Shiva WTF. This is why I read indie comics in my older age. 

Marvel just regergatates the same storylines over again (Planet Red Hulk). DC just seems to every couple of years make a new character Thats "stronger than Superman",  "better fighter than whoever the last great fighter was" 

I realize this post is just a generalization and I'm overreacting, but hey it's the internet and I have an opinion, so there
    GiveUpNed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By GiveUpNed

I agree. I try to stay away from Superhero comics unless they are really good. I used to dislike comics until I read Maus and Watchmen in college. I just tell people I read "graphic novels". I love the medium, but I dislike a lot of the crap. If it's good, it's good. Make sure you pump out good content. 

Mighty Thorion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 34

#3  Edited By Mighty Thorion
    @cattlebattle said:
    " I was reading The Birds of Prey issue with White Canary....apparently she's a better martial artist than Shiva WTF. This is why I read indie comics in my older age.    Marvel just regergatates the same storylines over again (Planet Red Hulk). DC just seems to every couple of years make a new character Thats "stronger than Superman",  "better fighter than whoever the last great fighter was"  I realize this post is just a generalization and I'm overreacting, but hey it's the internet and I have an opinion, so there "
    For the reasons you quote I tend to try and fill the gaps in my Silver/Bronze age collections rather than buy new comics. 
    Telcalipoca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Telcalipoca

not only that but shiva's skill level has being reached by huntress 

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @cattlebattle: Gail Simone, mate. She's a good writer, but she can't write power levels consistently...at all.
    entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By entropy_aegis
    @Telcalipoca said:
    "not only that but shiva's skill level has being reached by huntress  "

LOL
    PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By PowerHerc
    @cattlebattle said:
    "I was reading The Birds of Prey issue with White Canary....apparently she's a better martial artist than Shiva WTF. This is why I read indie comics in my older age.    Marvel just regergatates the same storylines over again (Planet Red Hulk). DC just seems to every couple of years make a new character Thats "stronger than Superman",  "better fighter than whoever the last great fighter was"  I realize this post is just a generalization and I'm overreacting, but hey it's the internet and I have an opinion, so there "

You are correct on all points.  It does get old, doesn't it?
    AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By AtPhantom

I feel like playing the devil's advocate here, but 

1. I think it's pretty clear by the end of the arc that she is not really on Shiva' level. Just above Canary.
    2. Apart from her lack of street cred, there is no actual reason why she shouldn't be better than Shiva, now is there? It's not like she was established as being lower tier and then inexplicably got a boost just for the sake of the story. I really don't see why the outrage, especially since...
    3. ...It's really not as common as you think it is. Shiva has held her position as one of the top DC fighters without any serious challenger for a long time. Any time someone actually took her out it was either through poison(Robin, Cheshire), or technology (Prometheus). White Canary obviously had some supernatural aid herself given how she could hurt freaking Hawk (The guy who just finished punching out a tank in a previous panel).
    4. Huntress is not on Shiva's level, and one lucky punch doesn't make her so. Shiva was annihilating her for 95% of the fight.

GiveUpNed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By GiveUpNed
    @AtPhantom said:

" I feel like playing the devil's advocate here, but 

1. I think it's pretty clear by the end of the arc that she is not really on Shiva' level. Just above Canary.
    2. Apart from her lack of street cred, there is no actual reason why she shouldn't be better than Shiva, now is there? It's not like she was established as being lower tier and then inexplicably got a boost just for the sake of the story. I really don't see why the outrage, especially since... 3. ...It's really not as common as you think it is. Shiva has held her position as one of the top DC fighters without any serious challenger for a long time. Any time someone actually took her out it was either through poison(Robin, Cheshire), or technology (Prometheus). White Canary obviously had some supernatural aid herself given how she could hurt freaking Hawk (The guy who just finished punching out a tank in a previous panel). 4. Huntress is not on Shiva's level, and one lucky punch doesn't make her so. Shiva was annihilating her for 95% of the fight. "

The problem with this is "who cares". Marvel and DC have pissed on their story arches and characters so much, that nothing is sacred. Everyone has died and been resurrected at least 2-3 times. This is why people don't take comics seriously, but do graphic novels. 
    Green Skin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Green Skin

This reminds me of an interview I read a few years ago with Marvel's editor-in-chief.  He basically said that the main audience for comics changes every ten years or so as new readers get old enough to read comics, and because of this they can recycle storylines.  Stupid Marvel.

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AtPhantom
    @GiveUpNed said:
    "The problem with this is "who cares". Marvel and DC have pissed on their story arches and characters so much, that nothing is sacred. Everyone has died and been resurrected at least 2-3 times. This is why people don't take comics seriously, but do graphic novels.  "
    People don't take comics seriously because most are still under the impression of Silver age and, not being comic readers themselves, do nothing to shake that impression off. It has nothing to do with the quality of the stories.
    Comics are a mass media, and 90% of all mass media is, without exception, crap. This is true for tv, It's true for movies, It's true for books, it's true for music and comics are not an exception. This is because, if they want to remain a mass media, they have to value quantity over quality. So they have mediocre but bombastic events every year, they advertise them with cheap gimmicks and they make sure they tie in as many other books as they possibly can to sell as many issues as they can because that's what works. That's what brings the money, and that's what lets the remaining 10% of awesomeness to happen at all. For as much as we bitch about it, the blatant commercialization isn't a flaw, it's a feature.
    entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By entropy_aegis
    @AtPhantom said:
    "I feel like playing the devil's advocate here, but 

2. Apart from her lack of street cred, there is no actual reason why she shouldn't be better than Shiva, now is there? It's not like she was established as being lower tier and then inexplicably got a boost just for the sake of the story. I really don't see why the outrage, especially since... 3. ...It's really not as common as you think it is. Shiva has held her position as one of the top DC fighters without any serious challenger for a long time. Any time someone actually took her out it was either through poison(Robin, Cheshire), or technology (Prometheus). White Canary obviously had some supernatural aid herself given how she could hurt freaking Hawk (The guy who just finished punching out a tank in a previous panel). 4. Huntress is not on Shiva's level, and one lucky punch doesn't make her so. Shiva was annihilating her for 95% of the fight. "

Talia took her out with a chair,cassandra beat her twice.
    Mighty Thorion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Mighty Thorion
    @AtPhantom said:
    " @GiveUpNed said:
    "The problem with this is "who cares". Marvel and DC have pissed on their story arches and characters so much, that nothing is sacred. Everyone has died and been resurrected at least 2-3 times. This is why people don't take comics seriously, but do graphic novels.  "
    People don't take comics seriously because most are still under the impression of Silver age and, not being comic readers themselves, do nothing to shake that impression off. It has nothing to do with the quality of the stories.
    Comics are a mass media, and 90% of all mass media is, without exception, crap. This is true for tv, It's true for movies, It's true for books, it's true for music and comics are not an exception. This is because, if they want to remain a mass media, they have to value quantity over quality. So they have mediocre but bombastic events every year, they advertise them with cheap gimmicks and they make sure they tie in as many other books as they possibly can to sell as many issues as they can because that's what works. That's what brings the money, and that's what lets the remaining 10% of awesomeness to happen at all. For as much as we bitch about it, the blatant commercialization isn't a flaw, it's a feature. "
    There's nothing wrong with the Silver Age. Where did the inspiration for the glut of soon to be released movies come from (Green Lantern, Thor, X-Men 1st Class), not to mention the FF, Iron-Man & Spider-Man movies? At least in the SA characters weren't getting killed every 2 minutes and then brought back 2 minutes later as a sales gimmick. Artistic greats like Kirby, Adams, Infantino, Colan & Ditko provided the inspiration for those who followed, while Lee, Fox, & Thomas wrote stories that could stand up to much of the current market. In The "House of Ideas" sadly seems to have run out of them, and DC sadly too often follow suit. Heroes of both companies have had so many power upgrades that it seems writers can't come up with powerful enough villains to challenge them. So let's find a way to kill someone and an increasingly convoluted way to bring them back. Boring with a capital "B."
    AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AtPhantom
    @entropy_aegis said:
    "Talia took her out with a chair,cassandra beat her twice. "
    1. That was a Loeb book, and it was 9 years ago.
    2. Cassandra is also a top DC fighter, and always has been.

@Mighty Thorion said:
    "There's nothing wrong with the Silver Age. Where did the inspiration for the glut of soon to be released movies come from (Green Lantern, Thor, X-Men 1st Class), not to mention the FF, Iron-Man & Spider-Man movies? At least in the SA characters weren't getting killed every 2 minutes and then brought back 2 minutes later as a sales gimmick. Artistic greats like Kirby, Adams, Infantino, Colan & Ditko provided the inspiration for those who followed, while Lee, Fox, & Thomas wrote stories that could stand up to much of the current market. In The "House of Ideas" sadly seems to have run out of them, and DC sadly too often follow suit. Heroes of both companies have had so many power upgrades that it seems writers can't come up with powerful enough villains to challenge them. So let's find a way to kill someone and an increasingly convoluted way to bring them back. Boring with a capital "B." "
    Please. I would take a universe full of rainbow Hulks over the majority of silver age comics. You're mistaking good concepts (Which Silver age admittedly had an abundance of) with actually good stories (Which Silver age barely had any at all). 
    Ask yourself where did those movies draw inspiration from for their storylines. The Silver age? No. The Green Lantern movie is firmly based on Geoff Johns' 2004 reboot. X-men? Magneto's backstory wasn't established until 1980 IIRC. How about Batman? Can you name one Silver age story from which Batman Begins or the Dark Knight draw their inspiration from? No. Because there aren't any. Most silver age stories, if not already balls out freaky and weird, come across as forced, clumsy, and generally have the modern reader go "But why" Every couple of pages. 
    That isn't to say guys like Kirby, Lee, Ditko, Fox etc. weren't good writers/artists. It just reinforces my point that 90% of mass media is crap. It's crap now and it was crap back then. We just choose not to remember the crap and focus on the good parts. Unfortunately, the majority of the public still has the bad parts imprinted in their memories. 
    Same thing with modern comics. There are good stories now. There are good concepts now. You just have to find them.
    digimod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15  Edited By digimod

I thought the White Canary story arc was great.  With most of the great story arcs that I like, outside of gross misrepresentations of characters, if I started nitpicking it would drive myself crazy, so in order to enjoy these stories, I focus on the events of the story as they pertain to the plot.  Personally I prefer that things change now and then, the fact that there is a new fighter that can match or exceed previously established fighters adds to the tension.  Testing the strengths of characters and even beating them engages me more.   Yeah, it's all subjective and this is my opinion.

Mighty Thorion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Mighty Thorion
    @AtPhantom said:
    " @entropy_aegis said:
    "Talia took her out with a chair,cassandra beat her twice. "
    1. That was a Loeb book, and it was 9 years ago.
    2. Cassandra is also a top DC fighter, and always has been.

@Mighty Thorion said:
    "There's nothing wrong with the Silver Age. Where did the inspiration for the glut of soon to be released movies come from (Green Lantern, Thor, X-Men 1st Class), not to mention the FF, Iron-Man & Spider-Man movies? At least in the SA characters weren't getting killed every 2 minutes and then brought back 2 minutes later as a sales gimmick. Artistic greats like Kirby, Adams, Infantino, Colan & Ditko provided the inspiration for those who followed, while Lee, Fox, & Thomas wrote stories that could stand up to much of the current market. In The "House of Ideas" sadly seems to have run out of them, and DC sadly too often follow suit. Heroes of both companies have had so many power upgrades that it seems writers can't come up with powerful enough villains to challenge them. So let's find a way to kill someone and an increasingly convoluted way to bring them back. Boring with a capital "B." "
    Please. I would take a universe full of rainbow Hulks over the majority of silver age comics. You're mistaking good concepts (Which Silver age admittedly had an abundance of) with actually good stories (Which Silver age barely had any at all). 
    Ask yourself where did those movies draw inspiration from for their storylines. The Silver age? No. The Green Lantern movie is firmly based on Geoff Johns' 2004 reboot. X-men? Magneto's backstory wasn't established until 1980 IIRC. How about Batman? Can you name one Silver age story from which Batman Begins or the Dark Knight draw their inspiration from? No. Because there aren't any. Most silver age stories, if not already balls out freaky and weird, come across as forced, clumsy, and generally have the modern reader go "But why" Every couple of pages. 
    That isn't to say guys like Kirby, Lee, Ditko, Fox etc. weren't good writers/artists. It just reinforces my point that 90% of mass media is crap. It's crap now and it was crap back then. We just choose not to remember the crap and focus on the good parts. Unfortunately, the majority of the public still has the bad parts imprinted in their memories. 
    Same thing with modern comics. There are good stories now. There are good concepts now. You just have to find them. "
    And I would take a universe of silver age comics over a rainbow hulk or yet another resurrected hero. You are right about the films you mention: However, both FF movies rely heavily on SA material, as do the Iron Man movies (with Viet-nam being replaced by Afghanistan). However, you are making sweeping generalisations about the Silver age in your second paragraph. How can any of us speak for other readers? You may feel that many readers look at the SA in the way you suggest. However, I suspect that just as many readers go "But why?" When yet another character is killed (for sales of course) only to be brought back less than 12 months later. In some ways we must agree to differ. In others we are probably closer than you might imagine. I agree that there are some good stories & comics now -  (as there have been in every age) but we cannot just dismiss everything that went before as inferior.
    Mighty Thorion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Mighty Thorion

I should also have pointed out that the first 2 Spider-man films made heavy references to the SA, Thor looks like it is SA influenced and without the SA Green Lantern, Johns would have had nothing to reboot.

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AtPhantom
    @Mighty Thorion said:
    "And I would take a universe of silver age comics over a rainbow hulk or yet another resurrected hero. You are right about the films you mention: However, both FF movies rely heavily on SA material, as do the Iron Man movies (with Viet-nam being replaced by Afghanistan). However, you are making sweeping generalisations about the Silver age in your second paragraph. How can any of us speak for other readers? You may feel that many readers look at the SA in the way you suggest. However, I suspect that just as many readers go "But why?" When yet another character is killed (for sales of course) only to be brought back less than 12 months later. In some ways we must agree to differ. In others we are probably closer than you might imagine. I agree that there are some good stories & comics now -  (as there have been in every age) but we cannot just dismiss everything that went before as inferior. "
    The First FF had more in common with Ultimate Fantastic Four and barely anything to do with the original. The second FF... Sucked. That should tell you something. ;)
    I don't know about IM since Tony's quest to keep his tech from falling into wrong hands has been an overarching theme for most of the character's existence. 
     Sweeping generalizations? No, I'd wager I am giving Silver Age a lot more credit than the average modern reader would. Need I remind you again how the Silver age is remembered? Hint: it wasn't for it's complex character development. You also missed my point about "But why". I was talking about holes in the plot itself, not the soundness of editorial decisions. The quality of stories was my whole and entire point. 
    In the end, I can't dismiss everything as inferior, but that wasn't my point. It was your point that Silver age is superior to modern, which it's not. If nothing, then for the simple fact that both the audience and the authors have grown and refined themselves in the last 50-40 years, becoming more and more sophisticated.  So yeah, the best story in 1960<the best story in 2010, IMO.
    AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By AtPhantom
    @Mighty Thorion said:
    " I should also have pointed out that the first 2 Spider-man films made heavy references to the SA, Thor looks like it is SA influenced and without the SA Green Lantern, Johns would have had nothing to reboot. "
    1. This being Spider-man, that is nothing to brag about.
    2. Thor looks straight out of the JMS era, and the story of his pride and fall is and overarching story just like Iron man.
    3. Only the concept of Green Lantern has survived from its beginning. Whatever plot points they adapt from the comics, they will be completely modern. Same thing with Thor.
    Mighty Thorion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Mighty Thorion
    @AtPhantom said:
    " @Mighty Thorion said:
    "And I would take a universe of silver age comics over a rainbow hulk or yet another resurrected hero. You are right about the films you mention: However, both FF movies rely heavily on SA material, as do the Iron Man movies (with Viet-nam being replaced by Afghanistan). However, you are making sweeping generalisations about the Silver age in your second paragraph. How can any of us speak for other readers? You may feel that many readers look at the SA in the way you suggest. However, I suspect that just as many readers go "But why?" When yet another character is killed (for sales of course) only to be brought back less than 12 months later. In some ways we must agree to differ. In others we are probably closer than you might imagine. I agree that there are some good stories & comics now -  (as there have been in every age) but we cannot just dismiss everything that went before as inferior. "
    The First FF had more in common with Ultimate Fantastic Four and barely anything to do with the original. The second FF... Sucked. That should tell you something. ;) I don't know about IM since Tony's quest to keep his tech from falling into wrong hands has been an overarching theme for most of the character's existence.   Sweeping generalizations? No, I'd wager I am giving Silver Age a lot more credit than the average modern reader would. Need I remind you again how the Silver age is remembered? Hint: it wasn't for it's complex character development. You also missed my point about "But why". I was talking about holes in the plot itself, not the soundness of editorial decisions. The quality of stories was my whole and entire point.  In the end, I can't dismiss everything as inferior, but that wasn't my point. It was your point that Silver age is superior to modern, which it's not. If nothing, then for the simple fact that both the audience and the authors have grown and refined themselves in the last 50-40 years, becoming more and more sophisticated.  So yeah, the best story in 1960<the best story in 2010, IMO. "
    The first FF film had SA references with the origin, Reed almost bankrupting the team & them being about to be ejected from the Baxter Building (FF#9), & Doom claiming he could return Ben Grimm to 
    his normal self (an arc that was either in the#60's or the #80's run of the SA series - I can't remember which, Doom appeared so often). The Second FF film was fairly true to FF #48 -#50, plus #55 in terms of how the Surfer was depicted & FF Annual#3 (wedding of Reed & Sue).  Whether it sucked or not is a matter of opinion - lets just say that in my opinion I was disappointed in how Galactus was portrayed and leave it at that. As for IM, the first movie featured his grey armour (straight out of Suspense# 39) as well as an updated version of his origin, which apart from changing countries (as I said before) remained fairly true to the original. Whiplash - the villain from IM2 seemed to be true to the character from Suspense #97 - #99. 
    Every age in the comics industry is remembered for something, both positive and negative. In the case of the SA the positive comes from the invention / creation of so many heroes & concepts & the innovative work of many of the creators I mentioned earlier. Characterisation was almost always sacrificed for action in DC comics and that is a big negative as you say. However, Marvel did something of a decent job IMO in terms of both characterisation and creating a coherent universe across its titles. I don't think I ever said that the SA was superior to the modern age, and in many ways it is unfair to compare ages with one another (even the likes of Adams & Kirby would struggle to compete with some modern computerised art techniques), but I did say (or suggest) that the glut of over powerful characters makes me spend what money I have for comics on back issues. I wonder what the modern age will be remembered for - dead heroes coming back to life? Too flippant, I know and there will be good memories too, but you know what I mean.
    Mighty Thorion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Mighty Thorion
    @AtPhantom said:
    " @Mighty Thorion said:
    " I should also have pointed out that the first 2 Spider-man films made heavy references to the SA, Thor looks like it is SA influenced and without the SA Green Lantern, Johns would have had nothing to reboot. "
    1. This being Spider-man, that is nothing to brag about. 2. Thor looks straight out of the JMS era, and the story of his pride and fall is and overarching story just like Iron man. 3. Only the concept of Green Lantern has survived from its beginning. Whatever plot points they adapt from the comics, they will be completely modern. Same thing with Thor. "
    1. Depends on your opinion of Spider-Man 
    2 & 3 Lets wait and see
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @cattlebattle:
    The whole white canary thing doesnt really bother me bc i was brought up to believe that until you have faced everyone in the world you should always believe their is someone better than your self at any particular skill. My dad's way of keeping us from being cocky about doing well. 

The Planet Red Hulk thing really pisses me off but i dont plan on reading it anyways. I will just laugh if he has two offspring similar to Skaar and Hiro-Kala. Actually everything that is planned to go on until Pak's run is over irritates me. I hate the idea of creating this huge family for the Hulk and then leaving half of them in the Savage Lands and ignoring the others while trying to rekindle his relationship with Betty
    brc2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By brc2000

Meh, there's nothing that makes non-'mainstream' DC/Marvel comics inherently superior, even though my absolute favorites are set in those universes. I'll take Swamp Thing, Batman: No Man's Land and Hitman over a bunch of non-mainstream books. Is there bad superhero fiction? Obviously yes, but not any more or any less than horror, sci-fi, thriller, fantasy, crime fiction. There are still good books at DC and Marvel, but like ATPhantom said, Sturgeon's law applies to everything. There's always bound to be some gold among the garbage. If I watch a bunch of crappy Warner Bros movies it doesn't mean that all Warner Bros films suck. That said, people who only avoid Marvel and DC, will still get more than people who only read Marvel and DC (which there are a lot of, especially on this site).

So there may be a bunch of crappy Deadpool, Green Arrow, Titans or Daken comics going around, but there are also books like Snyder's Detective Comics, Brubaker's Captain America, John's Flash, Cornell's Action Comics, David's X-Factor etc. (though they're obviously not for everyone). If you don't like superhero comics, period, though, then that's fine. I like high brow comics, but I like to see some colorful heroes and villains kicking each other around as well. A well done superhero story can be just as good as any story.

I personally believe that the DC/Marvel comics these days are far better than the early nineties and the sixties, though it was probably best around '96-'02.

As for SImone, it's pretty much a fact that she sucks when it comes to getting the abilities of certain characters down.

On Planet Red Hulk, I hadn't heard of that before now, but it does sound dumb, though I like Parker's run on Thunderbolts so far.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.