Follow

Watchmen

Team » Watchmen appears in 44 issues.

Watchmen is a twelve-issue comic book limited series created by writer Alan Moore, artist Dave Gibbons, and colorist John Higgins. The grouping of heroes and villains contained in the work are not, in fact, named "The Watchmen", though they were at one point referred to as "Crimebusters". Rorschach, Nite Owl and Dr. Manhattan were the team's primary heroes.

was it the right choice?

yotaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

a few days ago i passed by the local comics book store and decided to go for that famous watchmen comic that everyone say it's a "must buy". when i asked the clerk for the comic he gave me

http://www.google.co.il/imgres?um=1&sa=N&hl=iw&biw=1333&bih=645&tbm=isch&tbnid=IDEq0aL5Vbn8oM:&imgrefurl=http://www.dccomics.com/graphic-novels/watchmen-international-edition&docid=bhyePug-WoZDmM&imgurl=http://www.dccomics.com/sites/default/files/book-covers/10653_400x600.jpg&w=400&h=600&ei=ubTuUYWcLsGXPe2MgNAF&zoom=1&ved=1t:3588,r:3,s:0,i:86&iact=rc&page=1&tbnh=197&tbnw=138&start=0&ndsp=25&tx=59&ty=55#imgdii=_

and said that this is the most famous, best comic of watchmen. the thing is, i saw plenty covers of watchmen comic and not sure that this is the one i was recommended to...

was it the best choice?

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

Yeah, that's the right one. Just a different edition.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By fodigg

I'm always torn on recommending Watchmento new readers. I mean, it was one of our best sellers consistently, but it's so dense with dialogue and it's such a deconstruction of superhero comics that without context, I dunno. Kingdom Come or Marvelswere usually good alternatives for a "high concept" introduction to superhero comics that are still critically lauded, and the Ross art looks especially impressive to new readers who don't expect that style in comics.

Or did I misread the OP? If you're not a newbie and just looking for an acclaimed comic, then yeah, pick it up. Along with the original Dark Knight Returns, it reinvigorated storytelling in comics. I'd also recommend Kraven's Last Hunt on the Marvel side, although that wasn't nearly as much the critical darling.

yotaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fodigg: thanks for both of your comments. glad to know i made the right choice here.

i actually have kingdom come and it is one of my favorite comics. to your recommendation, i already bought that day v for vendetta and quite happy with it since i really enjoyed the movie (also the watchmen one, though i heard it is much differ from the comic). personally i'm more a dc fan, so i'll check what you recommended with spacial eye on dkr (loved the second part of the animated movie!)

thanks guys!

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@yotaman said:

@fodigg: thanks for both of your comments. glad to know i made the right choice here.

i actually have kingdom come and it is one of my favorite comics. to your recommendation, i already bought that day v for vendetta and quite happy with it since i really enjoyed the movie (also the watchmen one, though i heard it is much differ from the comic). personally i'm more a dc fan, so i'll check what you recommended with spacial eye on dkr (loved the second part of the animated movie!)

thanks guys!

If you liked the V for Vendetta comic then you can expect to really like Watchmen. And honestly, the film adaptation of V was, in my opinion, much more different from the source material than Watchmen, having been rewritten to be pro-democracy instead of pro-anarchy.

In fact, I felt like the Watchmen film suffered from not deviating enough. The long dialogue in the comics work fine but then the attempt to put it unchanged on-screen meant characters stood there and gave speeches to each other. And the Snyder-esque wall-smashing fight scenes just didn't jive with the disempowering direction of the narrative. But I won't say more because I don't want to spoil anything.

Other books I'd recommend from Alan Moore:

His Swamp Thing run was also considered definitive, at least until the new 52.

ImagineMan16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ImagineMan16

Watchmen remains one of the greatest contributions to the comic book genre that there has ever been. Honestly, I didn't care for it the first time I read it, I think I was going at it with too much of a straight-forward mindset and a lot of the concepts and subtexts flew over my head. Now, its one of the few books that I frequently re-read and I enjoy it every time.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.