Follow

Watchmen

Team » Watchmen appears in 44 issues.

Watchmen is a twelve-issue comic book limited series created by writer Alan Moore, artist Dave Gibbons, and colorist John Higgins. The grouping of heroes and villains contained in the work are not, in fact, named "The Watchmen", though they were at one point referred to as "Crimebusters". Rorschach, Nite Owl and Dr. Manhattan were the team's primary heroes.

is Watchmen overrated?

D-minor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By D-minor

does anyone else think this? don't get me wrong, it's great--better than almost anything else, but i really think it's the weakest of Alan Moore's (of the ones i've read anyway)...  
         i think there are too many different tones which don't properly integrate; i'm not even talking about the Black Freighter stuff, i know some people don't like that but actually i think it adds a great texture; but some of the humour is a little forced, even cheap in places, and really i could do without all the text portions.  
         i know that at the time it came out it was a completely new thing and all this, but so anyway...what do you think?
    Theodore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Theodore

I don't think so, it is totally deserving of the praise it gets.

D-minor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By D-minor
    @Theodore:
    do you really like the humour though?
    blade hunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By blade hunter

I dont think its as good as V for Vendetta.

D-minor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By D-minor
    @blade hunter:
    i don't think so either--and From Hell is even better than that i'd say, i think that one is perfect... Watchmen must have been an important book at the time, but i just think it's a little dated
    xybernauts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By xybernauts

I think it deserves the praise. I don't really remember the humor though. What I remember is the metaphorical depth. I love the layers it adds. Usually I wouldn't like the artistic style, but the way it's used with the story  and the nature of each image shown gives it so much more meaning . 

ahumancartoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By ahumancartoon

The Watchmen is epic and I love it, but I have always heard that Moore's mission statment for the book was the idea that you shouldn't trust superheroes to save you. The story was created to deconstruct superheroes, and in that is where he failed, because in the context of the story heroes were banned and nobody wanted them.

Cherry Bomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Cherry Bomb

I haven't read the Watchmen series, I'm hoping to pick it up sometime though. 
    But I have read many things about it and I did like the movie too.  But I do think it does deserve it's attention and praise, since it is an older story and not like anything that has been presented in comics, it deals with issues like:  sexuality, discrimination, rape etc ...
    xybernauts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By xybernauts
    @ahumancartoon said:

" The Watchmen is epic and I love it, but I have always heard that Moore's mission statment for the book was the idea that you shouldn't trust superheroes to save you. The story was created to deconstruct superheroes, and in that is where he failed, because in the context of the story heroes were banned and nobody wanted them. "

I disagree.  

Avatar image for reversenegative
    ReverseNegative

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By ReverseNegative

Not at all.

triedge763

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Something that's overrated in my eyes, is something that doesn't hold up very well. Take Twilight for example, both the books and movies are totally overrated, is it gonna hold up well in the future, no. No ones gonna remember that piece of shit franchise. But things like the Watchmen are remembered because it changed comics, it took "heros" more seriously, their treated more like human beings. And it has many themes that are still relevant in today's society. The fact that it's still remembered today means something.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

No it's not overrated. Can people stop claiming that things are overrated because they don't like them? Thxs

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

One of the reasons Watchmen is so acclaimed is because of the impact it had on the comics medium as a whole

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

One of the reasons Watchmen is so acclaimed is because of the impact it had on the comics medium as a whole

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.