Follow

Watchmen

Team » Watchmen appears in 44 issues.

Watchmen is a twelve-issue comic book limited series created by writer Alan Moore, artist Dave Gibbons, and colorist John Higgins. The grouping of heroes and villains contained in the work are not, in fact, named "The Watchmen", though they were at one point referred to as "Crimebusters". Rorschach, Nite Owl and Dr. Manhattan were the team's primary heroes.

DC Entertainment Officially Announces "Before Watchmen"

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The idea of prequels or sequels for WATCHMEN has been brought up before. Many feel it's something that shouldn't be allowed yet it is also something that was discussed before the series was even published. After years of speculation, it's finally become a reality. We're getting more stories from the Watchmen Universe.

DC Entertainment has announced that this summer they will publish all-new stories to expand on the acclaimed series. They understand that there will be some controversy with this decision but have decided to take the plunge. DC Comics will put out seven inter-connected prequel mini-series which will "build on the foundation of the original WATCHMEN." All titles will be under the BEFORE WATCHMEN banner.

No Caption Provided

DC Entertainment Co-Publishers Dan DiDio and Jim Lee released the following statement:

It’s our responsibility as publishers to find new ways to keep all of our characters relevant. After twenty five years, the Watchmen are classic characters whose time has come for new stories to be told. We sought out the best writers and artists in the industry to build on the complex mythology of the original.
    == TEASER ==

DC will not be taking this lightly. They have lined up a list of all-star talent to handle the Watchmen Universe. We can expect the following.

- RORSCHACH (4 issues) – Writer: Brian Azzarello. Artist: Lee Bermejo

- MINUTEMEN (6 issues) – Writer/Artist: Darwyn Cooke

- COMEDIAN (6 issues) – Writer: Brian Azzarello. Artist: J.G. Jones

- DR. MANHATTAN (4 issues) – Writer: J. Michael Straczynski. Artist: Adam Hughes

- NITE OWL (4 issues) – Writer: J. Michael Straczynski. Artists: Andy and Joe Kubert

- OZYMANDIAS (6 issues) – Writer: Len Wein. Artist: Jae Lee

- SILK SPECTRE (4 issues) – Writer: Darwyn Cooke. Artist: Amanda Conner

Each week there will be a new issue and it will feature a two-page back-up story called "Curse of the Crimson Corsair" written by original series editor Len Wein with art by original series colorist John Higgins. There will also be a single issue, BEFORE WATCHMEN: EPILOGUE, by various writers and artists as well as a Crimson Corsair story by Wein and Higgins.

There most likely won't be any comments from Alan Moore but WATCHMEN co-creator and original series artist Dave Gibbons said the following:

The original series of WATCHMEN is the complete story that Alan Moore and I wanted to tell. However, I appreciate DC's reasons for this initiative and the wish of the artists and writers involved to pay tribute to our work. May these new additions have the success they desire.

There will be people looking forward to this. With the creators lined up, how can you not be curious. The question remains, will you be buying these?

Update

Some cover art has been released. Wired posted the cover for Ozymandias. USA Today had some Rorschach art. Hero Complex posted the Minutemen cover. New York Times posted the Comedian cover. Entertainment Weekly posted the Silk Spectre cover. The Hollywood Reporter had the Nite Owl cover. CBR had the Dr. Manhattan cover.

Click each to enlarge.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Hopefully it'll be good.

feargalr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By feargalr

Looks like things are getting too spicy for the pepper

This is no doubt going to get DC a lot of publicity.. which is probably the aim of the project.. that and money, like coming off the back of the new 52 and the new logo.. this is obviously one part of a long term plan for DC

DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By DH69

*inhales* if anybody needs me... i'll be in the clock tower.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Billy Batson

Watchmen was my introduction to the american comic world but I don't really care about it anymore. But if Azzarello and Bermejo are in then so am I :D Would have been funny if Azzarello was writing about the minutemen since he already wrote about them :p
    BB

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Eyz

Nooooo!

Come on! Try something new and original! >__<

@feargalr said:

This is no doubt going to get DC a lot of publicity.. which is probably the aim of the project.. that a money

obviously -__-

ProfessorZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ProfessorZoom

Rorschach by Brian Azzarello? Sounds cool. Also Minutemen by Darwyn Cooke sounds interesting.

Om1kron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By Om1kron

Jesus Christ, first you change the name of Captain Marvel's comic now this...

mrzero1982pt2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mrzero1982pt2

the crimson corsair's logo on his bandanna looks like it would be an AWESOME DC variant logo. LOOK AT IT!

mrzero1982pt2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mrzero1982pt2

this also explains why 2 weeks ago when they debuted the new DC logo, they had the watchmen logo in it... anyone think about that?

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By doordoor123

I really have no interest in buying these.... but man ill buy anything with Adam Hughes or Amanda Conners interiors. I miss both of them SO MUCH!

feargalr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By feargalr

@Eyz: @Eyz said:

Nooooo!

Come on! Try something new and original! >__<

@feargalr said:

This is no doubt going to get DC a lot of publicity.. which is probably the aim of the project.. that a money

obviously -__-

ahhh I wasn't finishing editing it! But new and original?! Hah!

Though maybe this will be Temple of doom, and not Star wars... one can hope...

ZENOiR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ZENOiR

I don't know about this, there is enough backstory in watchmen already. I'll probably pick up Rorschach by Brian Azzarello since I like his books. Michael Straczynski is an interesting name, maybe he'll turn Dr Manhattan in a walking smurf like he did with superman in the epic story arc grounded.

Drakoji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Drakoji

DC is really out of ideas to do this, it's kind of sad.

Blackest Night and all the Green Lantern saga, up to brightest day was Johns stealing ideas from Alan Moore.

It's all they can do steal ideas from Alan Moore.

kennybaese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By kennybaese

I will buy the hell out of the Rorschach and Comedian books. I'll buy anything with Azzarello and Bermejo's names on them, and JG Jones is pretty alright too. The Manhattan and Nite Owl stuff has potential, but Strazinski has been hit or miss for me. Cooke on Minitemen means I'm there on that one too. I understand why people don't want this stuff to happen, but ultimately, I'm excited to see what some other writers do with these characters.

EDIT: Wait, Hughes is doing interiors on Dr. Manhattan? I just because infinitely more interested in this book. Also, I'd forgotten how bondage-y the Comedian's mask was. Looks like something you'd buy in a clothing shop in Saints Row or something.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator

Azzarello/Bermejo on Rorschach is an inspired choice.

Avatar image for deactivated-5af7470263a09
    deactivated-5af7470263a09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dont lie and say your not psyched by this.

Theyve some great talent with a lot of pressure on them. It has no other option but to be at least good. You cant honestly say that these writers and artists are not as good as Moore or Gibbons. The only thing standing in the way of this being good is extremist watchmen fans perception of it.

Im buying the Rorschach, Nite Owl, Minutemen, and the Comedian.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#18  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Ok so some of these creators are my favourite in the biz.... 

But it's WATCHMEN... sooo.... Sh!t....

Herx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By Herx

Might pick some of these up.... you know..... if the bank is kind to me.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator

@aztek_the_lost said:

@Morpheus_ said:

Azzarello/Bermejo on Rorschach is an inspired choice.

Azzarello's kind of been disappointing me post-100 Bullets so I hope he brings his A Game

I liked his study on Lex Luthor in Man of Steel and his recent Knight of Vengeance Flashpoint tie-in. I just find that the creative team fits the material practically to perfection, at least on paper. Whether he'll pull if off or not is up to debate, given how high the expectations are. He is writing arguably the most well known and loved character from Watchmen, after all.

movieartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By movieartman

WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT

Lee Bermejo ON RORSHACH ...................... OH............. MY............. GOD!...............F@@KYESSSSSSSSS

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By Billy Batson

Azzarello>aztek's favorite writer
    BB

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

I  have to say, love that Silk Spectre cover

Roldan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Roldan

@Om1kron said:

Jesus Christ, first you change the name of Captain Marvel's comic now this...

Well you can blame Marvel for trademarking that name (which they don't even use anymore).

I hate DC for making me buy this. I could've easily boycotted it but the creative teams are so awesome that i'm probably gonna end up buying them all.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ssejllenrad

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get all Rorshcach issues. :D

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By fodigg

This move is neither good nor bad. If I can survive the horridness of the Star Wars prequels, I can handle anything. Hopefully there will be some good moments in these books that make them worthwhile.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator

@aztek_the_lost: I am positive towards Azzarello in general, but that's just me taking into account what I've read from him overall rather than viewing his work in chronological order. Be it those two series I mentioned above, or Hellblazer or his Superman run, I have, at the very least, been very entertained. I have yet to read 100 Bullets so take it easy on me.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @aztek_the_lost: Do you not recommend Spaceman then?
    ScarlettLynn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By ScarlettLynn

Who is going to finish writing the two JMS series when he gets bored or distracted by some shiny object somewhere around issue #2?

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Eyz

Here's the Silk Spectre's first issue's cover:

No Caption Provided
    LordXorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By LordXorn

I'm not that big a fan of Watchmen anyway, but the creative teams are interesting enough, well mostly the artist, to get me to buy at least the first issue of each.

Avatar image for thecheckeredman
    thecheckeredman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#34  Edited By thecheckeredman

Despite my overall aversion to the very notion of this project, I can't help but be intrigued by Darwyn Cooke writing/drawing the MINUTEMEN...

WildStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By WildStyle

Not a fan of Watchmen nor do I buy comics based on their creative teams. Pass.

The Lobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#36  Edited By The Lobster

Why is it that the more Watchmen gets used, the more I like Dave Gibbons and hate Alan Moore? 

It seems like Dave Gibbons is so friendly and accepting of all this, he always seems to see the bright side in things. When the movie came out, he supported it and supported Zack Snyder. Now this is coming out and he's supporting it. He seems like a "glass is half full" kind of guy. I like that. 

Then we have Alan Moore who is a huge grumpy gus and hates anything that touches his work. I appreciate that he's passionate about his work, and good for him. Although loosen up a bit. Alan Moore is a fantastic writer, but geez does he need to lighten up. Heck, one of the things I'm learning in my college adaptations class is that film and novels are two separate things, and that changes in the adaption are inevitable because some things work in comics and books that don't work on film. I don't think Alan Moore quite understands that, or he does but just doesn't care.

Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#37  Edited By Gylan Thomas

@WildStyle said:

Not a fan of Watchmen nor do I buy comics based on their creative teams. Pass.

Why not buy a comic based on it's creative team?

The character is just that. A character. They have nothin' to do with the quality of the comic. That's down to the creative team. If you want comics you'll enjoy buy the creators you like.

I learned this lesson myself after year of blind loyalty to characters who often disappointed.

Also, why even bother readin' this article if you're not a Watchmen fan? Just to post negativity?

I don't like the idea of more Watchmen. I like the original and think it stands well on it's own. These do look promising though. Not sure about Jae Lee on Ozymandias though. His work never appealed to me and I think his style would probavbly be more suited to Rorschach.

raptorsrevenge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By raptorsrevenge

"It is our responsibility as the owners of the Tolkien estate to keep our characters fresh. After 75 years, Bilbo Baggins is a classic character whose time has come to tell a thrilling new adventure in the lands of Middle Earth. We sought out the best writers in the industry to build unnecessary and arbitrary mythology on characters and stories that should never be reexamined."

movieartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By movieartman

@raptorsrevenge:

but many of us WANT to see more history and mythology in the watchmen universe

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#40  Edited By InnerVenom123

Eh.

movieartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By movieartman

why isnt Frank cho drawing the Silk Spectre book :(

jsphsmth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By jsphsmth

Azzarello, Cooke, and JMS!!!

I am in.

Roldan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Roldan

@movieartman said:

Because Amanda Conner > Frank Cho.

rogue_mar1e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#44  Edited By rogue_mar1e

Things DC shouldn't do #283746

jsphsmth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By jsphsmth

So busy looking at the list of amazing writers, that I missed the list of amazing artists.

This promises to be great.

WhitOro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By WhitOro

SOLD.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By longbowhunter

Man what an all star line up. The Minutemen, Silk Spectre and Dr. Manhattan books all look like great reads. Screw anyone who thinks this is blasphemy. I cant wait to check these out.

pspin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 182

#48  Edited By pspin

This will never live up to anyone's expectations even if it doesn't suck. I am positive most people will be disappointed in it. That being said, I was never a huge Watchman fan but this looks interesting

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#49  Edited By Saren

Rorschach and Comedian are being written by Azzarello.......I'm ok with that.

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By doordoor123

@Roldan said:

@movieartman said:

Because Amanda Conner > Frank Cho.

QFT

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.