Follow

Watchmen

Team » Watchmen appears in 44 issues.

Watchmen is a twelve-issue comic book limited series created by writer Alan Moore, artist Dave Gibbons, and colorist John Higgins. The grouping of heroes and villains contained in the work are not, in fact, named "The Watchmen", though they were at one point referred to as "Crimebusters". Rorschach, Nite Owl and Dr. Manhattan were the team's primary heroes.

Brutally Honest: Why A Watchmen Spin-Off Doesn't Matter

• 162 results
    Donomark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Donomark

Just leave it be. Watchmen's one of those things that works best as a singular work. No need to exploit it by putting the name on more and more stuff.
    ninjadude853

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#52  Edited By ninjadude853

for the most part, i wouldn't care because i wouldn't read it, EVER, as a matter of principle i would frown and not consider it to be canon and stuff, but for the most part i just wouldn't give a crap

and as for the man himself, i have nothing but respect for Alan Moore he is one of the greatest writers ever, that said. the man  is a total prick, and i don't usually take the things he says outside his work seriously

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By longbowhunter

I'm not opposed to the idea of other Watchmen stories, just the characters being worked into regular DCU continuity. Explain to me how a giant squid gets dropped on New York and the JSA doesnt respond.
    Green Skin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Green Skin

They really need to leave it be.  If they wanted the secondary rights to the characters in Watchmen they shouldn't have had Moore change the characters in the first place.  They still retain the rights to the original characters from the 1st draft of Watchmen, why not use those.  

johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By johnny_spam
    @Green Skin: @Green Skin said:
    " They really need to leave it be.  If they wanted the secondary rights to the characters in Watchmen they shouldn't have had Moore change the characters in the first place.  They still retain the rights to the original characters from the 1st draft of Watchmen, why not use those.   "
    The closest thing to a Watchmen sequel that DC has approved has been a issue of Multiversity from Grant Morrison it will use the Charlton comics characters that Alan Moore based on the Watchmen and have a take on them Question will have a spiral dynamics view of the world instead of a subjectivist view of the world like Rorschach for example. 
    Fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HarlequinKiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#57  Edited By HarlequinKiss

I would love to see more of the Watchmen characters, different versions, animations, spin-offs. The original was great, but I don't see why that should destroy chances for other artists to do better (or more likely, worse) I mean, imagine if the original Batman or Spider-man were never recreated? They'd probably be forgotten by now.

Hyperlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#58  Edited By Hyperlight

i personally would love to see some watchmen characters do there thing in current dc u. especially manhattan. seems like all that power went to waste in the continuity, let him take on someone his own size or power level. it doesnt have to be canonical just a cool crossover story would be tight.

Avatar image for captaingenisvell
    CaptainGenisVell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By CaptainGenisVell

Alan Moore is just a strange bitter old man.
    I know he hates pretty much all of the pieces of his work that has been used in different medium.
    Let him have his rants, he can't change anything anymore. If he didn't want his work to be 'raped' then he should have kept the rights to himself years ago.

Avatar image for the_mighty_monarch
    The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1450

User Lists: 4

@CaptainGenisVell said:
    " Alan Moore is just a strange bitter old man. I know he hates pretty much all of the pieces of his work that has been used in different medium. Let him have his rants, he can't change anything anymore. If he didn't want his work to be 'raped' then he should have kept the rights to himself years ago. "
    For the record, there is one thing he liked the adaption of. "For the Man Who Has Everything." A Superman comic he wrote that was adapted into a JLU episode. But, the entire DCAU was made of win and cake so that's no surprise.
    Joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Joeybagad0nutz

Alan Moore complains sooo friggin much....

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#62  Edited By ImperiousRix

I think Alan Moore is a fantastic writer, and for comics with underlying subtext and deep narratives, there is no better place to start than his work. 
    But I must say he doesn't really "get it".  He believes his works to be untouchable pieces of art that should not be translated into other mediums or tampered with because he is writing them for a specific medium and that he has a specific vision for them.  That is all well and good, but when you write something that is so successful and influential (as most of his works are) you have to realize people are going to want to (and not always for selfish reasons) see it adapted into other forms of media. 
    Does that mean that I believe that this SHOULD be done?  Well yes and no.  I'm sure plenty of artists and writers were inspired by the various characters in his Watchmen book, and would probably like nothing better than to be able to work with the creations that they admire so much.  Zack Snyder, for instance, handled the Watchmen movie with respect, adoration, and faithfulness to the source material, yet Moore still couldn't be bothered to give it a chance. 
    However, I don't necessarily want to see Watchmen characters awkwardly shoved into main-line DC stories just because, "HEY PEOPLE KNOW THEM FROM THAT MOVIE! DUR HUR!"  If they're going to do that, there better be a damn good reason for it.  Otherwise, there already exist video games, toys, apparel, and other merchandise based off the Watchmen movie, so Moore's attempts to stop that are somewhat puzzling.

Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#63  Edited By Moomin123

I'm not sure who to go with, making Watchmen in continuity with the DC Universe could be awesome but I love Alan Moore and I see where he's coming from. I dunno, where my opinoon lies.
    Vkramac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Vkramac

I wouldn't want any new Watchmen comics, videogames, animated series or whatever WB would try to squeeze consumer dollars from their property.  The series is fine as it is, and its characters are fine as they are.  I completely agree with these sentiments posted earlier.

Furthermore, It would be nice if DC could leave their continuity alone and further muddle it up.  Using a retcon or other device to bring the Watchmen characters into the DCU sounds horrible to me.

elayem98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By elayem98

i definitely dont think watchmen should be put in mainstream continuity. as cool as Rorschach in batman comics would be cool it shouldnt. i mean watchmen took place in a reality where they were the only superheros and it was 1986 or something! but i do want more watchmen 2 or spin-offs or something, but dont put the characters in mainstream continuity. that would change every simgle thing about watchmen except the characters.

gordocomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By gordocomics

they shouldn't do anything. watchmen is the single greatest comic ever written and it stands on its own. it should remain one story and have nothing to do with DC continuity.

TheBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By TheBug
    @JoeRiccadonna said:
    "Alan Moore complains sooo friggin much.... "

I agree. In recent years his attitude  towards the industry has been really mean spirited. He says that this is a dead decade for comics. Um excuse me, All Star Superman, Ex Machina, Y the Last Man, New Frontier, and Scott Pilgrim. I love his work, but he needs to get real.
    Avatar image for graphiccasualfreak
    GraphicCasualFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 113

I'm sorry, I usually pretty open minded on stuff like this, but really there is NO WAY I want anything done or changed to Watchmen.  It is probably the pinnacle of drama and originality for comics in general.  DC shouldn't mess with it at all!

Marius138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Marius138

I agree with Moore completely.  What DC is trying to do is totally a corporate, money making move and nothing more.  They've made as much money off the Watchmen as they can (as it currently is) and now they want to try and milk it for more.  

The Watchmen is one of my all time favorite comics, and while a part of me would love to see a sequel or prequel, in my gut I know the Watchmen story is complete.  Anything more in addition to it would only degrade the integrity of the original story.

I think Moore should get props for standing up for his convictions, and not just looking to make money.

darkrein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By darkrein
    Dr. Detfink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#71  Edited By Dr. Detfink

Can't wait for the Watchman issue where: 

Rorschach teams up with the Question
     Silk Spectre teams up with Phantom Lady
    Peace Maker becomes the Comedian II
    Dr. Manhattan fights Captain Atom and ends up blowing up the Earth and ends up being the REAL Monarch!

*cues the price is wrong*

ComicCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#72  Edited By ComicCrazy

I don't think it is a good idea to exploit them at all. The whole idea behind Watchmen is that it was supposed to be the unfilmable graphic novel and well it was, but what do you know they made a movie of it and that annoyed Alan Moore. Plus the story of Watchmen was whole and complete by the end there is no story left to tell of Watchmen. I don't think it is a good idea because it was a thing that ended and came to a conclusion with all of it's characters and probably part of the reason why we liked it so much.
    Avatar image for skullduggery_pleasant
    skullduggery pleasant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Creating a sequel to the Watchmen is like drawing a beard on the Mona Lisa, you just can't do it. 

HODGEY3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By HODGEY3000

watchmen should never be connected to the DC universe, thats just weird
    difficlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By difficlus
    @jordama said:
    " completely agree with you.   You make an art and share it with the world, if you didn't want others to be able to touch it, keep it at home in your closet. "
    Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Captain13
    @batmanboy11 said:
    " I think it should remain untouchable. It should stay what it was. No sequel or spin-off should be made, and the characters should only exsist in that book.   "
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By danhimself

I am going to be flat out honest here and say that I didn't care for the Watchmen....there I said it and I feel better....I imagine that whenever it was first released it was extremely relevant and eye opening but having not read it until sometime in the 2000's it just felt dated to me....like I've seen all of the stuff that Watchmen made new and they were old for a while for me so I could have cared less about topics such as rape and extreme violence and the cold war....I don't think that Alan Moore is the genius that everyone makes him out to be and every time I read an interview with him I just sit back and think "what an a$$hole" ..... I could care less if they make sequels, movies, video games, or whatever because most chances are that I won't read, watch or play any of them

let the flaming begin

Halberdierv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Halberdierv2

well, its up to him, its his original work.  although seeing some watchmen corssing over with Batman and co would be nice,  it probably wont really bother me wither way.

Avatar image for the_mighty_monarch
    The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1450

@danhimself said:
    " I am going to be flat out honest here and say that I didn't care for the Watchmen....there I said it and I feel better....I imagine that whenever it was first released it was extremely relevant and eye opening but having not read it until sometime in the 2000's it just felt dated to me....like I've seen all of the stuff that Watchmen made new and they were old for a while for me so I could have cared less about topics such as rape and extreme violence and the cold war....I don't think that Alan Moore is the genius that everyone makes him out to be and every time I read an interview with him I just sit back and think "what an a$$hole" ..... I could care less if they make sequels, movies, video games, or whatever because most chances are that I won't read, watch or play any of them  let the flaming begin "
    You smell! AND I HATE YOU FOR ALL TIME! 
    Nah, j/k, just pretend flaming in b4 all the real flaming. That's your opinion and kudos on not being afraid to put it out there. I freaking loved Watchmen, but it's true, Alan Moore can be a bit of a jackass about the purity of his work. 
    Plus, he looks like Rasputin. SERIOUSLY! Anyone else notice this? I think he might be Grigori Rasputin. It would explain a lot.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#80  Edited By jakob187

I think it's funny that Alan Moore has STILL never watched the movie and therefore is basically talking out of his "I think I'm the most important person in the world and the biggest genius in the comic book industry" pretentious ass. 

The dood may do SOME good work, but he is in no way flawless.  Moreover, I agree with what you say here, Babs.  Just because a sequel might be able to be made to Watchmen...just because someone might want to make the character of Rorschach something that pops up in DC continuity somehow or whatever, that DOESN'T mean that the original genius of Watchmen as a graphic novel is diminished in any way. 

Alan Moore is just a complainer, plain and simple.  Sure, it's his creation and baby, and I understand wanting to hold the "integrity" of that, but Moore fails to understand that the "integrity" of it is held IN THE MIND OF THE READER, not the artist.  Everyone takes their own meaning from works of art, and therefore, it feels as though Moore wants Watchmen to be less a work of art and more something for him to bitch about for years upon years to come.  Warren Ellis understands the idea:  he sold the rights to RED, knowing full good and well that the flick wasn't going to be the same as the book in tone or material.  Regardless, he also knew that it could turn people onto reading his 3-issue series, and the people will realize then that the book and the movie are NOT the same thing...and they may like the book.  If not, oh well - they enjoyed a part of the property that they enjoyed.  Despite that, it doesn't mean the book has any less integrity because the book is STILL the book!

@Emerald Dragonfly said:

" NO. NEVER. NEVER TRY IT, DIDIO. I SWEAR THAT I'LL KILL HIM IF HE'LL TOUCH "THE WATCHMEN". STUPID IDIOTS, IT'S THE BEST COMIC BOOK EVER, AND THEY WANT TO-- NEVER! NEVER! NEVER!  "

On a personal level, I cannot agree with that.  I think that it was an incredibly influential comic, and I think that it's a tremendously great story.  However, the best EVER?  No.  There are so many story arcs and creator-owned runs that all carry so much heft with them.  With Watchmen, there was a lack of emotional depth for me.  It was all about the socio-political statements of both the world around us as well as the comic book industry in general.  Y: The Last Man, however, genuinely made me cry.  Daytripper genuinely put goosebumps on my arms and tears in my eyes consistently. 

I think Watchmen paved the way for people to take another look at the superhero genre and say "you don't have to be over-the-top cartoon" without challenging the reader to think about things beyond just the tights and good vs. evil.  I don't think it's the greatest comic ever.
    nick_verissimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By nick_verissimo

I'll be straight and saw that Watchmen was the very first book that really got me into reading and taking comics seriously. I had read stuff before, but nothing was ever as impactful and brilliant as Watchmen was when I read it.  That being said, I do like the idea of new Watchmen content, but only if it's done by Alan Moore.  I'm not going to defend what he said about the piece being raped, because in actuality interest spanning from the movies and game and such brought the book to a whole new audience. Regardless, new stuff or not, I'm completely content with the book and to a lesser extent the movie.

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By goldenkey

Alan Moore is an arty flake.  Watchmen is a classic and always will be.  Did making a film about it change that, no?  I liked the movie a lot.  I couldn't see it being done better.  Sure he didn't want a movie made either but there were enough fans out there that screamed for it to be made because some fans wanted it.  Im sure some fans would want spin-offs too.  Give the fans what they want.  Moore doesn't own the rights and that's what it comes down to.  If you don't want to read a spin-off then don't read it.  I'll bet a million dollars if there was a spin-off written by someone else and it got a lot of good praise a whole bunch of those shit talkers would get the book. 
    cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

#83  Edited By cbishop

About Watchmen: I think the story was written as a standalone story, and should be left to stand alone.  If DC wants to write Watchmen-ish stories, they need to use the Charlton characters the Watchmen were based on, where there would be no issue.  Although at this point, Captain Atom is a mutlversal villain, Vic Sage and Ted Kord are dead, and Peacemaker and the rest are either languishing in limbo or have been changed so much as to become unrecognizable.  If Grant Morrison thinks he can write an alternate earth version of the Charlton characters, then let him.  He couldn't screw 'em up too much more than DC has in recent years.

About Alan Moore: I've talked about Alan Moore in one of my blogs before, so I'm repeating myself here, but... 

It is my opinion, and I realize that it is likely an unpopular one, that Alan Moore is not a great writer of original work.  He is the absolute KING of the revamp, of the retcon, or of that character that closely resembles one of our childhood icons.  I have seen nobody who compares with him on those. 

This bitterness he has towards the industry is a bit tiring though.  DC screwed Siegel and Shuster - they didn't really screw Alan Moore.  By his own account, in the Bleeding Cool article that Babs linked to, the contract written for Moore and Gibbons was a fair one for the time.  It just happened that the book was a hit, and the wording of that fair contract fell in DC's favor.  The contract said that the complete rights would revert to Moore & Gibbons, when the book went out of print, which everyone expected would be a year after it was released.  The book's success has made it so that the title has never gone out of print.  Sorry, Alan.

However, what's weird and cockeyed now is that DC wants to give the rights back to Alan, if he'll let them continue to use and market the characters.  That's just a roundabout way of getting Moore to put his stamp of approval on anything DC markets with the name "Watchmen" on it. 

Also, Alan goes on-and-on about how DC apparently used Steve Moore and Dave Gibbons to exert pressure on and pass messages to him.  Yet, he clearly did the same thing to DC with the Bleeding Cool article.  He was "setting the record straight," but really, he was using a public forum as his intermediary to get his previously ignored message to DC.  He basically threatened legal action, and held his signature on the contract hostage, in exchange for DC meeting his demands, and making him an offer of at least a couple of million dollars.  If he really wants to be left alone, and doesn't want to have to worry about his friends and colleagues being used as intermediaries, then he needs to man up, lawyer up, and take care of all contractual issues once and for all.

Last bit: The B-Cool article links to a video of Moore, where he confesses to being a bit smug and superior in his attitude.  This is reflected in the article, where he refers to the rest of the industry's writers as "hacks," and compares himself to J.D. Salinger.  I still think it's weird and twisted to be so bitter towards the industry that has made you well off and famous.

Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

I think a good example of what you are talking about Babs is Starman.  It was a great series, almost stood completely separate from regular DC comics and continuity, but it was still part of the DC universe, Jack Knight even joined the JSA and such.
    But all the stuff they have done with those characters after that the original series didn;t take away from James Robinson's Starman at all.
    I don't think doing a sequel, or anything would take away from the original, because Moore got his original story out in the original and they can never take that away.

If DC really wanted to they could just take the characters that Watchmen was based on, give those characters the dark personalities that the Watchmen had (with possible small tweaks here and there since Blue Beetle is dead) and continue with the Watchmen idea they were going to use but use the DC characters.
    Like instead of using Dr. Manhattan just use Captain Atom, instead of Silk Specter use Nightshade (I think it was), instead of that Ozymodius guy (name?) use Thunderbolt (name?). instead of using Rorschach use the Question.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for amp___seeker_of_lost_knowledge
    AMP - Seeker of Lost Knowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 14

Should a sequel be in the works, it should be follow the world since 9/11, Nite Owl and Silk Spectre have kids, Dr. Manhattan returns to the Earth with new friends.....

Pizawle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#86  Edited By Pizawle

Have to disagree absolutely with Babs here. Obviously, it would not affect the brilliance of the original tale but the legacy of Watchmen would be disgustingly tarnished. It should remain untouched from now on. 

... Unless by some miracle Moore woke one day and decide he wanted to do something new with it. And in that case, he'd have to be mentally checked for foul play.

Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By ArtisticNeedham
    @Pizawle: Thats why I suggested using the original characters Watchmen was based on.
    Moore wanted to use Captain Atom, Blue Beetle, Thunderbolt, the Question, and the rest, in his story for Watchmen.  But DC just acquired them from another company, so they said no.
    Moore had to make up new characters instead, making the story better I think.
    So, maybe DC could just do the opposite, use their own characters like Captain Atom and Thunderbolt, and give them the Watchmen personalities and use them in whatever stories they were planning.  It could work and wouldn't touch Watchmen so much or tarnish it.
    Jekylhyde14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 10

#88  Edited By Jekylhyde14

Personally, I don't want to see any spin-offs. One of the things that made Watchman so special was the fact that it was 12-issues and done. That was it. You didn't have to worry about it changing creative teams and getting weak. It just made all its points beautifully and ended. I'm left with no lingering questions or concerns by the end. It addressed everything. So even in my wildest fanboy fantasies of Rorschach and Ozymandias spin-offs (and I did have them) , I knew that kind of thing would be redundant and unnecessary. It would be a hollow gesture. Alan said it all and there's no need for any more. 

I also don't want to see DC pick clean the ideas of a man they cheated and offended decades ago. I mean, think about how often they still reference Alan's ideas to this day. Blackest Night was originally a minor plot-point to a Green Lantern back-up story Alan wrote for cyring out loud. Alan's point has always been that they should be trying to invite original ideas rather than playing off his over and over again. I think that's pretty good advice considering the quality of most modern mainstream comics. And he's fully entitled to his bitterness. He and most of the people he respected in the industry have been ill-treated and/or drummed out. You'd be angry too. Alan Moore changed a genre. He was so influential that people will NEVER stop ripping him off. I can't believe you people would be willing to disrespect that kind of genius in favor of a company so bereft of ideas that they have to beat their greatest accomplishments dead just to make a quick buck before the Green Lantern movie comes out. That feels so crass and cheap to me. And, though it wouldn't ruin the original, it would tarnish my memories of the work a bit by conjuring up anxities over sup-par prequels and sequals.  

Do you really want to see Judd Winick's Rorschach? Geoff John's Dr. Manhattan? Gail Simone's Nite Owl/Silk Spectre? I mean (all due respect to those creators), do you really think that will trick you into believing it's '87 again when Alan was still getting along with DC? It's over. Move on.

MagusMaleficus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By MagusMaleficus

Alan Moore reminds me of my grandpa, except the whole being-English thing.

Mr.Q

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#90  Edited By Mr.Q
    @johnny spam said:
    " I don't care about a Watchmen sequel/prequel it makes no difference to me either way but I have to say it is clear after reading the complete interview from Moore he is coming across as a bitter angry paranoid old man somehow every contact with every person he talked to was orchestrated by DC to hurt him or manipulate him they are bumbling in one of his sentences to masterminds in another and he refuses to read comics and hasn't from the last ten years yet judges them all he is just angry.  He actually refuses to speak to anyone from the industry in fear that they are sent by his enemies from DC he asked David Finch to thank him for the money off V for Vendetta when it was made in a movie when he was a co creator and asked the same of Dave Gibbons. "
    I'll agree every time I read an interview or comment from Moore he just sounds crazier by the day. He was seen as a voice of counterculture and a victim of "the Man" to a point where I think he is believing his own hype. He once claimed that DC stole the idea for the Sinestro Corps. War and the War of light concept from him and went on to imply many of there more successful stories were stolen from old throw away ideas he and other writers couldn't or didn't use years ago. It's almost starting to sound like he thinks he is the only one with any ideas. so you have to take what he says with a grain of salt. I agree he comes of as bitter at best.
    Mr.Q

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#91  Edited By Mr.Q
    @longbowhunter said:
    " I'm not opposed to the idea of other Watchmen stories, just the characters being worked into regular DCU continuity. Explain to me how a giant squid gets dropped on New York and the JSA doesnt respond. "
    they would integrate the characters not the story. Night Owl Ozymandias etc... would be there with slightly altered back stories to fit them in like how Charlton's characters were. In DC Vic Sage went to collage with Lois Lane obviously that didn't happen in the original charlton comics but they worked around it. the basics would be the same except for dates and minor details. They are talking about the characters not the over arcing story. Same attitude new start.
    Doctor!!!!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 12

#92  Edited By Doctor!!!!!

WATCHMEN: THE COMIC THAT SHOULD END WITH A LEGACY.
    HarlequinKiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By HarlequinKiss

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xv_I1cUdOyY&feature=related

If you guys are scared of this series being raped, I'm afraid it's too late.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Doctorchimp

this is ridiculous, I'm not saying they shouldn't touch Watchmen because it's this piece of art that shouldn't be tinkered with, but they shouldn't touch it since it goes against everything Watchmen was about. Watchmen was about real superheroes and what would happen if they were in reality.  

It showed the heroes becoming outlawed, and what heroes would do if they wanted world peace. It has an ending, something comics can't ever really do. To put Watchmen in DC continuity is directly against what the whole idea was about. Besides the characters were just rehashes of other DC characters, why do they need them? 

welshguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By welshguy
    @danhimself said:
    "I am going to be flat out honest here and say that I didn't care for the Watchmen....there I said it and I feel better....I imagine that whenever it was first released it was extremely relevant and eye opening but having not read it until sometime in the 2000's it just felt dated to me....like I've seen all of the stuff that Watchmen made new and they were old for a while for me so I could have cared less about topics such as rape and extreme violence and the cold war....I don't think that Alan Moore is the genius that everyone makes him out to be and every time I read an interview with him I just sit back and think "what an a$$hole" ..... I could care less if they make sequels, movies, video games, or whatever because most chances are that I won't read, watch or play any of them  let the flaming begin "

Chum, you ain't alone. Likely going to get flak for this but what the hell... I think Alan Moore is a wee bit overrated... Sky fallen in yet? No, good. 
    Don't get me wrong, he has done some incredible work (his Miracleman series, the Captain Britain saga he did, hell, the first League of Extraordinary Gentlemen to name a few) but I find Watchmen (and V for Vendetta) have not aged well. I can appreciate them for the time they were written in but I have never got into this whole Alan Moore is the greatest stuff. And every time I read about him, he's whining about DC or Marvel or some other company he's fallen out with and comes across as a old, surly cumedgeon (no idea if that's spelt correctly). The last I heard he was attempting to write something that blurred the lines between erotica and porn and how our notions of such things were blantantly wrong and how brilliant he was for seeing it.
    IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#96  Edited By IrishX

I understand where Moore is coming from and I don't think there should be any sequels or video games but I think a comic focused on Rorschach and Nite-Owl II's partnership would be cool.

Dross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Dross

There already is a Watchmen video game.  Two, actually.

MisterMollusk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By MisterMollusk

*cough Matrix sequels *cough

Kid_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Kid_Zombie

Question is do we need a video game and cartoon and spin offs? Nope. Not at all. Would i be interested in playing a watchman video game? Nope not all all. I fully agree with Alan moore here, which is werid because I never agree with him and think he is a tool ha ha

Joe_E_Nigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Joe_E_Nigma

EVERYONE NEEDS TO GET OFF THE HIGH HORSE, Watchmen was a great social commentary and all that, it was a 12 issue series where Alan Moore whined about how evil he thought the world was, and when you get right down to it, THE MASTER PLAN AT THE END WAS RIDICULOUS that's why they changed it for the movie, that book is not sacred, it's not a Bible, it's not perfect, it would be so cool if DC was able to use the characters, they probably would just classify it as one of the multiverses and never use it, they would probably just have a Rorschach equivalent show up on Earth-1 and just go from there, and there's nothing wrong with that cuz it's not the same Rorschach. They could probably write A WHOLE NOTHER CRISIS centered around Dr. Manhattan finally returning and punching his way into the DC universe, the possibilities for "decent work" are endless. Alan Moore is just a pretentious hippie jerk, and Watchmen is not a perfect story. 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.