Follow

War Machine

Character » War Machine appears in 1572 issues.

War Machine is a superhero originating from Marvel Comics. James "Rhodey" Rhodes is Tony Stark's personal pilot and one of the playboy's oldest friends. Rhodes also known as Rhodey has often donned the Iron Man mantle when the burden has been too much for his friend, but has also established his own identity as the War Machine and Iron Patriot.

Don Cheadle Says No To War Machine Spin-Off

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

No Caption Provided
    One of the things that many are looking forward to in Iron Man 2 is seeing War Machine in action.  When we saw the scene in the first movie where Rhodey (played by Terrence Howard), we were teased with the "Next time!" line.  There was a bit of controversy as Howard was replaced by Don Cheadle.  Even though Iron Man 2 hasn't been released yet, apparently there's been speculation over a War Machine spin-off movie. 

The Coventry Telegraph reports that Cheadle cleared this up with Wizard Magazine. 

"People have asked but no one [in authority] has mentioned it as something that's happening. 

"Hopefully, if this one does well, there'll be another [Iron Man film] with the same people. But there won't be a [War Machine] spin-off."     

Cheadle went on to explain that in the movie, the War Machine suit is owned by the government..  Rhodey and a team of government designers put the suit together with more weapons that were provided by Justin Hammer.  Makes you wonder if Hammer had some sort of failsafe or controlling device put in.  We've seen War Machine and Iron Man fighting alongside each other in the trailer but perhaps we'll see them fighting each other as Hammer controls the War Machine suit. 

Cheadle may be saying no to a War Machine spin-off, but like he said, no one in 'authority' has said anything.  It could be another story if he's actually approached with the idea.  Do you think a solo War Machine movie could work?  Would you want to see War Machine in action without sharing the screen? 

Looks like Tony's heading for the hills.
     Looks like Tony's heading for the hills.
    Avatar image for mysteriomaximus
    MysterioMaximus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By MysterioMaximus

Sometimes I think I'm the only one who never really cared all that much for War Machine. He's what I'm actually least excited for with Iron Man 2. Call me crazy, but I just consider him alright at best. I never understood the hype. So I can't say I'm saddened...I never really cared for most of those "minority" versions of already made popular characters: younger versions, female versions, ethnic versions, etc. The Batgirls, Bucky's, or Patriots of the comics world. They're just attempts to get more girls to read Batman or more kids and/or ethnicities to like Capt. America. It's marketing ploy 101. When it's really just the poor mans version of an already made character, I always prefer the original, in this case Iron Man. I do really like and much prefer Don Cheadle (over Howard)  though.

Avatar image for surrender_monkey
    Surrender Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Surrender Monkey

What about a Punisher / War Machine movie ?

bingbangboom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By bingbangboom

I don't think anyone really expected a War Machine movie well period. The character in general has been hard to go solo and there will be an Iron Man 3 before that. I could see them doing say a DVD release that takes place between Iron Man 2 and 3 that focuses on War Machine. 

The only real WM book I read was the MAX title that came out years ago that was taking place in it's own universe. I thought it was really interesting and I think it was done with computers and black & white.

Chane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Chane

I'd prefer a Black Widow film if they're spinning anything off from Iron Man 2.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Captain13

Phirst.

I don't know if a spin off would work, because the action scenes may feel too familiar to audiences. Imagine seeing Iron man 3 times (2 in his movies, 1 in avengers) then another iron man dude in anothe movie, all within a couple of years. One of the things that was cool about the first ironman and transformers was seeing something new on screen. Transformers 2 was not only poorly written, but the action scenes were starting to get stale. Even Michael Bay was worried about this.

Would I want to see a spin-off? Maybe. Let's see Iron man 2 first.

Alphaproto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Alphaproto

lol at that second picture. 
    Tony - Can you finish this WM? I uh... got something else to do. *runs*
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DEGRAAF

i thought tony created war machine? Idk if i would like one or not, there is something baout him i have had a hard time relating too. Ive picked up a hand ful of his comics and i just cand get thru them without getting confused or falling asleep.

CaptObtuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CaptObtuse

I'm with  MysterioMaximus  on this.  I haven't read a lot of Iron Man in my several years of comic reading, so I guess I'm not a well-informed reader, but I don't understand the big deal.  (I never understood the appeal of Azrael in the Batman comic series either. Or Mon-El as Superman.  Or John Stewart as Green Lantern.)  What would be the point of a War Machine movie?  How would it be a different movie or a different experience from Iron Man?  I just don't see it happening.

the creator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By the creator

G-man, I cannot believe you found that reference in the Coventry Telegraph. 
    Hell I can't even believe that they would have the quote. 
    That publication is the daily paper from my hometown! 
    This has to be the most publicity it has ever had LOL.
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By gmanfromheck
    I would have rather seen the "Demon in a Bottle" storyline first and have Rhodey wear the Iron Man suit before becoming War Machine.  But either way, it'll be cool to see him in Iron Man 2. 

@the creator:
     I think I may have mentioned them in the past, at least the website.  I just try to have my eyes and ears all over the place when looking for news. 

@Alphaproto:  That's one of my favorite images from the trailer.  I have no idea why Tony's running away rather than flying to where he needs to go.
    jefprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jefprice

Tony isn't running away, he's running to that giant iron monger-ish  suit standing right in front of him. 

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @jefprice: I dunno.  The angle looks wrong to me.
    jefprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jefprice
    @G-Man: I just puled up the trailer and watched it, he runs up to that guy and smacks him.
    jefprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jefprice

watch the last few secs, you'll see him run up to and smack that silly little IM rip off down
    goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By goldenkey
    @MysterioMaximus said:
    "Sometimes I think I'm the only one who never really cared all that much for War Machine. He's what I'm actually least excited for with Iron Man 2. Call me crazy, but I just consider him alright at best. I never understood the hype. So I can't say I'm saddened...I never really cared for most of those "minority" versions of already made popular characters: younger versions, female versions, ethnic versions, etc. The Batgirls, Bucky's, or Patriots of the comics world. They're just attempts to get more girls to read Batman or more kids and/or ethnicities to like Capt. America. It's marketing ploy 101. When it's really just the poor mans version of an already made character, I always prefer the original, in this case Iron Man. I do really like and much prefer Don Cheadle (over Howard)  though. "

I agree.  I think when they start to give a great supporting character a spin-off title it usually doesn't hold it's own.  Like Venom.  His books just SUCKED.  They lose their spice, and make the character lose their luster.  I don't agree with the Cheadle switch.  I like Cheadle a lot  and would have prefered him in the first movie, but I hate when good actors are switched for other actors and Howard is a good actor.  Seeing him in Iron Man he came off as a military presence well.  He also comes off tougher then Cheadle.  Shit he beat up Ludacris.......twice.
    goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By goldenkey

Demon in a bottle would be a good story.  It would be the only logical spin-off story that could work with War Machine and not make it not seem like to much Iron Man.  How much Iron Man can be put out there with an Avengers (possible triology) and another Iron Man 3.  Remember, there were a real lot of little kids that went and saw Iron Man with their parents.  A LOT.  Even tho Dark Knight set a new standard on what you can do with the darker side of comic book movies and what they can achieve (everyone other then the acadamy thought it was the best movie of the year and should have at least been nominated) Iron Man is still a popcorn movie.  Demon in a bottle could push raise Iron Mans level, but it would have to be done before and Iron Man 3 possiblity.  It could be done easily within a 2 to 2.5 hour time slot too.  Movie opens with Stark hammered, Stark almost kills innocents and gets beat up bad by bad guy, War Machine steps in and beats bad guy, Stark detoxes and sobers up.  Move on to the Avengers.  Could be good, real good.  War Machine after Avengers, just stale.
    King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By King_Saturn
    still not happy about Don Cheadle taking Terrence Howard spot as Rhodey... 
    Bandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Bandito
    @CaptObtuse said:
    " What would be the point of a War Machine movie?  How would it be a different movie or a different experience from Iron Man?  "
    It would lack pathos and characterization.  
    Avatar image for they_killed_cap_
    They Killed Cap!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By They Killed Cap!
    @King Saturn:
    Me either, and I am glad they are staying away from a spin off cause he is a very good B supporting charecter.
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @jefprice: I grabbed the image off the trailer the day it was released.  The image as it stands was meant to be humorous.  
    cmaprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By cmaprice

I'm not really crazy about a War Machine solo film, but I'd like for him to show up in other crossovers.

If Marvel gets back its other titles, I'd like to see a Defenders or Marvel Knights type movie, where it's the darker second tier characters that would work as an alternative to the Avengers.

Daredevil, Blade, Ghost Rider, War Machine, Cloak & Dagger, Venom, Deadpool

It could take a more supernatural approach with its plot/villains so Avengers can keep going with more technology based/realistic stuff.

Green ankh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#22  Edited By Green ankh

I really loved that U.S. War Machine series MAX did.  That would make a kick Ass movie !!!
    Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23  Edited By Moomin123

As cool as War Machine is, I think he's not ready yet to have a solo movie. Besides, the last time a metallic helper of a superhero tried to get a solo movie, this piece of horse crap came out. 

Avatar image for mysteriomaximus
    MysterioMaximus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By MysterioMaximus
    @Moomin123 said:
    "
    As cool as War Machine is, I think he's not ready yet to have a solo movie. Besides, the last time a metallic helper of a superhero tried to get a solo movie, this piece of horse crap came out. 

"
    Oh common! Steel was ROBBED of Best Picture! ...
    NagolNuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By NagolNuff

why did they change terrance for cheadle?

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26  Edited By FoxxFireArt

It was something that always got me wondering how in the movie they will show Tony reacting. He made the suit because he didn't want to make lethal weapons, but the War Machine suit is filled with them. His designs used as a weapon of war.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @NagolNuff: I think I heard that Terrance was one of the first actors cast in the first movie.  That made him the most expensive one.  As more actors were hired I think they adjusted the salaries to compensate for everyone.  They wouldn't be able to bring him back at this same salary.  From the reports, it seemed as if they didn't even bother to offer him the role at a lower rate.  But then we don't have all the facts.
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#28  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

Iron Man Vs. War Machine...

I'd love to see that. :)
    I'd love to see that. :)
    jefprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By jefprice
    @G-Man: Yeah that's when we got our stuff at the trailer premier, I was hoping you were joking, but wasn;t really sure lol
    jefprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jefprice
    @G-Man: I've read in interviews and even RDJ said it on Leno, that TH was kinda hard to work with on the set, and when Bridges came out talking about how much of it they made up as they went along, he said something along the same lines.  

I've got an idea that he's a pain since even Foster said during the Brave One's production that he was really intense and took things very seriously . I'm betting he just didn't mesh with everyone else, and since he was asking for a bigger pay check them what they were giving RDJ, I think they just decided to replace him.  
    BlackestShite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BlackestShite
    @King Saturn said:
    " still not happy about Don Cheadle taking Terrence Howard spot as Rhodey...  "
    Don will do a better job, Terrence was messing around
    G Bird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By G Bird

War Machine seems to be getting a huge buzz with this movie, but I'm not sure if he could pull of his own movie. And I thought Tony invented the War Machine suit?

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd personally like to see War Machine doing U.S. missions where he fights armies and stuff.

Avatar image for deactivated-5988def3424a7
    deactivated-5988def3424a7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to see a War Machine spinoff film. I'd pay to see it.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I want to see a War Machine spinoff film. I'd pay to see it.

I wouldn't mind it as long as they replaced Don Cheadle. I would love to see a film with Terrance Howard in the role or someone else.

Avatar image for deactivated-5988def3424a7
    deactivated-5988def3424a7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daredevil21134: What's wrong with Don Cheadle? I think he's fantastic in the role, better than Terrence was IMO.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 114

He recently said he is interested.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@daredevil21134: What's wrong with Don Cheadle? I think he's fantastic in the role, better than Terrence was IMO.

My personal opinion about him.

1 He doesn't have great charisma, nor is his chemistry with RDJ nowhere near as good as it was with Terrance Howard

2 He looks small, I think he's even smaller than RDJ. He has no meat on him.

3 He doesn't have a great presence when on camera. Maybe that's because Marvel has reduced his role but he had plenty of time in Iron Man 3 and I didn't feel anything whenever he was on camera. Terrance Howard at least had charm to him mixed with his straight man attitude.

These are just my personal opinions.

Avatar image for deactivated-6025c60aa67c8
    deactivated-6025c60aa67c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I think they should put WM and Rescue in the upcoming Shang-Chi movie, so we can see them fight the Mandarin, since Tony won't get to.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.