Follow

Wally West

Character » Wally West appears in 3106 issues.

Struck by the same lightning bolt that turned his uncle Barry Allen into the Flash, Wallace Rudolph "Wally" West took the name Kid Flash, became Barry's sidekick, and joined the Teen Titans. Eventually, Wally became the Flash to honor his uncle's memory, who died saving the Universe. He also became a member of the Justice League. He married a woman named Linda Park and had two kids, Jai and Iris West II. Currently, Wally is active as the Flash.

Johns Month(and a half): Flash part 1.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By waezi2
    No Caption Provided

Originally posted HERE.

Johns' run on The Flash is possibly his greatest series, if you ask me. He became the sole writer for the series after only being part of the comic business for two years. His 63 issue long run on the series is very critically acclaimed, and is by many considered the defining run for the Flash. There is a lot to cover, in order for this humble reviewer to truly do the series justice, so I will have to make this review a 3-parter(maybe 2-parter), focusing on specific story-arcs and such. Today, we will take a look at issue 164-176.

Issue 164-169(collected in Flash: Wonderland) is not that great a story. It's interesting at some points, but not that great. I guess it was mostly used to introduce Brother Grimm, and relatively easy forgotten Wally West villain who only made one more appearance after the story he was introduced in. What I like the most is Johns' interesting and very detailed version of a world without the super-speedsters, and how it turned into a dystopia without the influence of Jay Garrick, Barry Allen and Wally West. But it was nothing more than adequate. No, it's at issue 170 that things start to get good.

No Caption Provided

First thing first, Johns' gives Keyston City a identity. Most cities with a superhero in the DCU has a "character" so to say(such as Gotham City, Metropolis and Opal City). In this case, Keystone City is the city of the working class so to say. A majority of America's cars are build there. A place of hardworking, honest people who aren't afraid to get their hands dirty. The blue-collar capital of the U.S.

Another thing that's great about this series is the old Silver-Age villains who are re-introduced, which is a trademark-talent of Johns. Like the Weather Wizard, a simple criminal who just now have realized that his weather-controlling wand has close to omnipotent power, if used right. Or Keith Kenyon, once known as the super-villain "Goldface," who has putted the costume away, and instead leads the Keystone's trade union(BTW, he is my favorite supportive character in the series).

And finally, but not the least; Johns is pretty good at having many balls in the air. He is building up many different sub-plots, and has a good use of for shadowing.

If I should complain about anything, it should be the villains. It's not that they are bad, they just seem a little... random, and possibly out of place. Not that they are bad, but when I think a Flash villain, a guy with a type of gun is what comes to mind. That, or something strange, like a telepathic gorilla. NOT a crazy mass murderer who wants everyone to shut up. But it's minor.

Issue 164-176(as well as the one-shot issue "Flash: Iron Heights" which you can read my review of HERE) is collected in the first of three omnibus books which collects Johns' Flash run. It get's you into the world of Keystone, introduce you to the most of the supportive cast of the series, and is an all-in-all good place to start if you want to be introduced to Wally West.

That's all for now. I'm Waezi2, and thanks for wasting time wit me.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Most of my Flash knowledge is spotty at best. Thanks for the intro, via Johns.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ms-lola: Your welcome. I would also like to recommend a not-Johns comic called "Born To Run," written by Mark Waid. It's about Wally's first year as Kid Flash, a pretty touching tale.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

@waezi2: Thanks so much for the recommendation! Despite how I feel about what Waid's done to Daredevil, I still enjoy him as a writer. This sounds like something I would really enjoy.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By waezi2

@justthatkid: Alright, yes, it's also important to make different villains.

But still, there are times when you read a comic, and you think for yourself; he's fighting THIS GUY?

And when I said "random," I also meant that they seemed like they were made in a hurry in order to have some prisoners in the Iron Heights story. And I have a hard time imagining many stories with Murmur fighting Flash.

But his design IS awesome, though.

No Caption Provided

Holy crab, he is creepy!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.