Follow

Creator-Owned

Publisher »

In terms of quantity, it is much more common for characters to be creator-owned (or company-licensed) than owned by their publisher. However, in comics two of the biggest publishers worldwide (DC and Marvel) traditionally own all their characters. This page is meant to help distinguish characters that are owned by the creator from those owned by the publisher in cases where it's not immediately obvious.

Greek Street #1, A Vertigo Comic Review!

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Here we go, finally a review for a Vertigo comic.  Keep in mind, this isn't a comic for the kids.  It's a "mature" comic. 

While I wasn't overly impressed, I am deeply curious to see what will happen next.  A ton of characters are introduced so issue #2 should be able to dive into the story without having to give us more background.  I want to know who read this comic and what you thought of it.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc7df6492da
    deactivated-5ffc7df6492da

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

You can buy candy with a dollar...I think.

anatolew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By anatolew

I thought the comic was horrendous. Sure, Greek tragedy is pretty harsh, but there is a dramatic quality to it. Greek Street was all harshness with no dramatic qulaity. Add to that the sloppy artwork that made it difficult in places to tell which character was which, and this is just not a comic I will be picking up again in the future.

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By pixelized

I agree with Anatolew, by the time i finished it i was mad at myself for letting CV-ers deceive me into thinking this was going to be a good read.

Joe Venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Joe Venom

After reading this book I felt the same way, even though I have a lot of questions I cant say that I am eager to see the next issue. It was a great introduction to the series maybe it should have an issue #0 though, if issue #2 is any good I might be adding it to my pull list.

Will every issue be 40 pages?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#6  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @Joe Venom said:
    " After reading this book I felt the same way, even though I have a lot of questions I cant say that I am eager to see the next issue. It was a great introduction to the series maybe it should have an issue #0 though, if issue #2 is any good I might be adding it to my pull list.Will every issue be 40 pages? "
    Issue #2 will be 32 pages.  Out on August 5th.
    Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Vortex13

I wanted to throw up like he did after reading the "confrontation". I'm a big vertigo fan, actually that's an understatement I'm a huge vertigo fan, this intrigues me because I'm also a fan of ancient mythology.  Reading that certain part made me want to stop reading though and I still may stop reading it at some point but I'll give it a chance, it's interesting and it has potential.

Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By Darkchild

Loved the comic, cant wait for next issue

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

I really enjoyed the first issue, and only $1

Goki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Goki
    @aztek the lost said:
    " @Darkchild said:
    " Loved the comic, cant wait for next issue "
    high fives "
    Hell yeah it was a nice touch, i know of a few Greek Mythos so this will be quite entertaining.
    Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Media_Master

I like my comics to be lighter, and more likeable, so I'll pass on this

Great review once again!!!

Pheeke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Pheeke

i like some of the vertigo comics, i sometimes want someting harder to read than superheroes. sometimes not...it depends on my mood :)

Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Vortex13
    @aztek the lost: I do know that myth, but incest is gross no mater what lol.
    Dr. Maxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#16  Edited By Dr. Maxwell

For only a dollar I couldnt resist picking this one up, plus its Vertigo, lot of characters introduced, but I'm sure it will all pan out in the end. Good Story

stork101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17  Edited By stork101

it was alright a bit weird and confusing but i'll give it a chance and get issue 2 and see where it goes from there and incest is just wrong

The Messanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By The Messanger

This has nothing to do with the comic, but what I like to do sometimes is to determine what rating you give the comic before you announce it, and almost every time i know what the rating is gonna be. Especially this time 3.5. I don't if I have some kind of crazy intuition or what but i think its kind of cool that I can tell what the rating is gonna be most of the time. Sorry to be off topic.

Slinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Slinger
    @G-Man said:
    "While I wasn't overly impressed, I am deeply curious to see what will happen next."
    Exactly how I felt. I thought most of the action in this comic was just shock for the sake of shock, and didn't really bring much to the table. The setups were interesting enough though that I could imagine an actual good story developing eventually, so I'll most assuredly be picking up issue two. Number two will be what makes or breaks it for me.
    ulrich200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ulrich200

i think this comic is sick i mean there is vertigo,and there is sick sh!t thrown at your face
      does being mature mean reading incest,ugh

Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Bruce Vain

Hmm might check it out ,and for a dollar with 40 pages in it that's not a bad deal. Thanks G-Man

teewillis1981

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By teewillis1981
    @Darkchild:

I agree. I thought it was great. Although the "interactions" in the beginning made my stomach curdle, I'm interested to see how Milligan will develop this plotline.
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By pixelized
    @Slinger said:
    " @G-Man said:
    "While I wasn't overly impressed, I am deeply curious to see what will happen next."
    Exactly how I felt. I thought most of the action in this comic was just shock for the sake of shock, and didn't really bring much to the table. The setups were interesting enough though that I could imagine an actual good story developing eventually, so I'll most assuredly be picking up issue two. Number two will be what makes or breaks it for me. "
    That's how it was for me, between the narration, and the... action, it was too  much to keep up with. I'm trying to build some investment into this character so that when things like that happen, i'll have a reaction to it, but it just all... came so fast that i couldn't even remember the guys name by the time the scene was over.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.