k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The Good

Month after month I praise Declan Shalvey's art, so when I didn't see his name on the cover I was hit by a bit of disappointment. Well, Pepe Larraz, I hope you can forgive me for that, because your artwork is TERRIFIC. It's a slightly more cartoonish style than what we're accustomed to and Flash certainly looks a bit younger, but man oh man is it glorious at times. Larraz absolutely kills it with numerous brilliant panels of Venom. From standard Agent Venom to the symbiote taking over, they all look so good. Larraz also excels with the action sequences, illustrating excellent motion which makes each superhuman attack have a real sense of force behind it. There's some wallpaper worthy panels to be found here. Lee Loughridge is still on colors, but with Larraz's visual switch-up, the book comes off as much brighter and livelier.

Venom's life is pretty basic after he and Toxin went their separate ways. Teach gym class, fight crime, get some sleep, and then repeat. Despite this seeming like a mundane concept, Cullen Bunn pulls it off by diving into Flash's mind. What makes his narrative so amusing is he isn't your traidional hero. He's not a boyscout (despite having dialogue every now and then which would certainly make it seem otherwise) and he's not a totally brooding anti-hero despite all of the negatives going on in his life. He's somewhere in the middle and he's trying to make the best of his new life. It's a formula which works for me and just enough new things were thrown into the mix to spice it up.

Oh, and as for the Venom-mobile. It took me a moment to decide if that was ridiculous or awesome, and I eventually reached the conclusion it's ridiculously awesome. It's obviously something we won't see again, but it was a hilarious way to switch up the dynamic.

The Bad

I feel like the human trafficking twist is taking a note from SCARLET SPIDER, but I can live with that. Also, kind of odd for the big bad to see he's not afraid and then vanish like a ninja. Is it sheer arrogance? Is he studying him? Hopefully we'll find out in the next issue.

The Verdict

While Bunn's narrative is good fun and establishes a decent plot moving forward (most notably with Andi), it's really Larraz's artwork which brought this one to the next level for me. He nailed it when it comes to making the symbiote look both formidable and badass and his nights fighting crime (even if it's just one panel) have such a cinematic feel to them. VENOM consistently delivers and you have no good reason not to check it out. This is a superb jumping on point, too.

Sifighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

I have to admit that Cullen Bunn is really great at making Venom Philadelphia's primer(and only) hero. Also I hope they keep using the Venom Mobile idea, that was really funny and weird. I can't wait for next month's issue and also maybe for a crossover between this and Cullens other title, The Fearless Defenders.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#2  Edited By GraniteSoldier

Great review, as always. I'm getting mine Friday. I'll post my review then, but yours has definitely got me pumped for it.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

I'm loving Venom right now

tomlikesfries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 106

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By tomlikesfries

I'm glad I decided to jump in. Such a great and new reader friendly issue!

wolverine1610

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By wolverine1610

This is one series i can recommend to anyone, its pretty darn good IMO. This issue was hilarious with Venom/Flash using the symbiote to animate that broke down car, even having the license plate say Agent Venom on it.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Solicits said someone would find out who Venom was, and that he'd be getting a sidekick, so I'd just like to note that I totally called it being Andi.

Not that it wasn't blatantly obvious or anything from the start.

Also that bullet shouldn't have affected Flash at all. He's tanked far worse in this series. Instead it blows half his face off and he takes a panel or two to recover.

Fenderxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

Really enjoying the series ... loving the art, and cant wait to see where this goes

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#9 god_spawn  Moderator

@innervenom123: I noticed the

bullet bit too. He seemed just fine and got over it quickly and the 2 panels just kind of made time stand still IMO. I kind of chuckled at how he just spat it out too.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

@god_spawn: Right, but

It's not the fact that he healed, it's the fact that it did anything at all in the first place. Bullets literally bounced off him before now.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#11 god_spawn  Moderator
    TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Hmm... might pick it up just cause I'm loving Venom in general at the moment.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.