Follow

Vampirella

Character » Vampirella appears in 944 issues.

Considered one of the earliest ‘bad girls’ in comics, Vampirella is a Vampiri from Drakulon.

Grant Morrison and Mark Millar's Vampirella Returns

No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By No_name_here
    No Caption Provided

If the vampire craze is hitting the funnybooks, then it follows that comic’s true black queen of the undead, Vampirella, should return. Back in March, we let you know that Dynamite had acquired the rights to Harris Comics’ signature character. I’m sure they’re planning to start putting out new stories featuring Vampi soon, but what about the character’s extensive catalog?  (Blood) simple; that material's getting some sharp hardcovers for Halloween.

I’ve always been startled by the sheer number of big names who’ve worked on Vampirella at one point or another. Alan Moore, Frank Frazetta, Jae Lee, Neal Adams, Richard Corben and Barry Windsor-Smith are only just a few of the talents. Dynamite just might be reprinting all of their work, actually. They're putting out the VAMPIRELLA ARCHIVE, which is starting the ambitious venture of collecting every issue of VAMPIRELLA MAGAZINE from the very beginning. However, the names that might be the most relevant to you Comic Vine maniacs are those two mad Scotsmen, Grant Morrison and Mark Millar, who collaborated often in the 90s (on the likes of Aztek and the Flash.) They’re getting top billing for the first volume of Dynamite VAMPIRELLA MASTERS SERIES, which also features work from Amanda Conner and Jimmy Palmiotti, and subsequent volumes are going to spotlight the work of Warren Ellis and Comic Vine’s pal, James Robinson.

Do you see what I’m saying now about the number of big names who’ve worked on VAMPIRELLA

Vampirella's been variously depicted as an alien from the planet Draculon, where blood flows in rivers, and a brainwashed daughter of Lilith, so she's not your typical vampire by any means. I suppose there is question of whether the eventual new VAMPIRELLA stories are going to revamp the character to be more in line with the likes of TWILIGHT, TRUE BLOOD, THE VAMPIRE DIARIES, et cetera, or if this bad girl icon will take an old-school stance against their breed of bloodsucker.

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Studios and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia. HYBRID BASTARDS! is available  here and UNIMAGINABLE is available here for pre-order on Amazon.com.  

luckynitro007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By luckynitro007

I never read Vampirella because my parents wouldnt buy it for me when i was young. But i will now!!
    dogprod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By dogprod

Love Vampirella, can't wait for a new ongoing.  Hopefully with more Amanda Conner!  Now that she's off Power Girl, I can't sem to get any info on what she's doing next.  Maybe this?
    NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By NightFang3  Online

Vampirella is back and I can't wait!

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Nova`Prime`

Considering all the big names Dynamite has purchased over the past six months I am most excited about Vampirella, now if only my first lady love of comics, Lady Death, was in the Chaos purchase they could have more crossovers. But I am in great anticipation for Dynamite's take on this lovely blood sucker and hopefully she keeps her roots and doesn't fall down the path of the new breed of vampire. But considering Dynamite's handling of the classic golden age character in PSP I am sure they won't let us down.

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By goldenkey

I did not know Morrison and Millar worked on Vapirella. 
    dondasch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By dondasch

Definitely looking forward to this.  This has all the earmarks of awesomeness.

Kid_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Kid_Zombie

never read vamperella, but i know she has a huge cult following, and with this line up of writers and artists dam i kinda have to pick this up ha ha

robokungfu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By robokungfu

The comic heavyweights can't resist busty sexy vampires.  Who can, really?

Joey Ravn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By Joey Ravn

I only hope this doesn't affect Morrison's work on DC... He'll still be writing for DC, won't he? :(

Yumulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Yumulu

Ah good old Vampirella once you see past thoses breast & lack of cloths you do find some great stories,

No Caption Provided
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#11  Edited By xerox_kitty

While the flood of vampires is steadily pissing me off, Vampirella is one vamp who I don't mind being in comics.  It's her home :)

Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 730

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By Silkcuts

Vampirella should of been sold to DC and made Vertigo.

Avatar image for bombchellerocks
    bombchellerocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By bombchellerocks

Yay for Vampirella!!

Avatar image for illyana_rasputin
    Illyana Rasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#15  Edited By Illyana Rasputin

I've grown up with Vampirella my entire life! It's always nice to see her in action. Now, maybe a film that trounces that horrible Talisa Soto version?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.