This article is separated into 3 main sections highlighting the 3 incarnations of the Valiant Universe:
- Valiant Universe: The Beginning by Voyager Communications (~1989-95)
- Acclaim Universe: The Acclaim Years by Acclaim Entertainment (~1996-2004)
- Valiant Universe: Again! by Valiant Entertainment (2007-present)
Note: Acclaim revamped all series and characters to make them more suitable for their video games. The 3rd incarnation by Valiant Entertainment mostly continues from the 1st incarnation and original characters with a few exceptions such as Quantum & Woody.
Valiant Universe: The Beginning (~1989-95)
During Solar, Man of the Atom, it was revealed that Solar created the Valiant Universe when he was trying to recreate the one he destroyed. The Valiant Universe contained two groups, those which took place in the 20th century (at that time the present), and those that took place in the 41st century, with events in the present day having an effect on the latter. After several successful bi-monthly sales of titles such as X-O Manowar, Shadowman, and Harbinger, and a company wide crossover in which the two groups learned of each others existence, Valiant was officially bought out by Acclaim in 1994, and as of 1996 all Valiant comics had been discontinued.
List of the most important Valiant characters and heroes of the first Valiant Universe:
- 20th Century (present day):
- Eternal & Time-Traveling Characters (past, present, future):
- 41st Century:
Note: Turok was originally released in 1954 by Dell Comics. Solar and Magnus were originally released by Gold Key Comics in 1962 and 1963 respectively. Currently, Turok, Solar, Magnus, and Mighty Samson (another Gold Key character) belong to Dynamite Entertainment. All the other listed characters are original characters created by Valiant.
Acclaim Universe: The Acclaim Years (~1996-2004)
In 1996, many Valiant properties were revamped under the new Acclaim Comics imprint. Though originally there was no connection between the Valiant and the Acclaim universes, it was eventually revealed that the latter was created yet again by Solar, but this time he had created a "time paradox". By 1999, most of the line had been cancelled, and Acclaim released the event known as Unity 2000, which was an attempt to merge the two universes. In 2004 Acclaim filed for bankruptcy effectively ending all titles under the Valiant and Acclaim imprints.
In 2005 the rights to Solar, Magnus the Robot Fighter, and Turok were reverted back to their previous owners Gold Key Comics.
List of the most important characters published by Acclaim:
- New characters and teams:
- Revamped Valiant characters and teams:
- Armorines (Vol. 2)
- Bloodshot (Vol. 2)
- Harbinger (one-shot)
- Magnus Robot Fighter (MRF)
- Master Darque (one-shot & "Darque Passages" mini-series)
- Ninjak (Vol. 2 featuring Denny Meechum as Ninjak)
- Shadowman (Vol. 2 & 3 + "Deadside" mini-series)
- Solar, Man of the Atom (one-shots & mini-series)
- Turok (various mini-series & one-shots)
- Unity 2000
- X-O Manowar (Vol. 2)
Note: Magnus, Solar, and Turok had originally been properties of Gold Key Comics and Dell Comics respectively but are revamped from the 1st incarnation of the Valiant Universe; see note above.
Valiant Universe: Again! (2007-present)
In 2007, the rights to Valiant were bought from Acclaim, and Valiant Entertainment was established. Long-time editor-in-chief Jim Shooter left the company in late 2009 when he was sued by Valiant Entertainment when he accepted a contract with Dark Horse Comics over Gold Key Comics characters such as Solar, while still employed with Valiant. May 2nd, 2012 saw the launch of The Summer of Valiant with the first release of a Valiant Entertainment comic in X-O Manowar.
Currently there are nine titles under the Valiant logo:
In chronological order of their upcoming release.
- Bloodshot Reborn: Bloodshot Island Director's Cut (One-Shot - July 6, 2016)
- Faith (Ongoing Series - July 20, 2016)
- Generation Zero (Ongoing Series - August 24, 2016)
- Britannia (Mini-Series - September, 2016)
- Bloodshot USA (Mini-Series - October, 2016)
- Harbinger Renegades (Ongoing Series - October, 2016)
- Savage (Mini-Series - November, 2016)
- Divinity III: Stalinverse (Mini-Series - December, 2016)
- Valiant Universe Handbook 2016 (Guide Book/One-Shot - TBD)
- Psi-Lords (Teased for 2017)
- Shadowman (Teased indefinitely; TBD)