undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

I’ll get this out of the way early: there’s no way to write about this issue without explicitly referencing issue #17 and it’s jaw-dropping conclusion. If you plan on reading that but haven’t yet: this is your SPOILER WARNING…

Okay, now that all the trade-waiters are gone, let’s talk about how Rick Remender decided that, in flagrant disregard for the sanctity of continuity, blew up Earth via a Death Celestial, taking almost every single human with it. Let’s talk about how that happened and now here we are, years later on Planet X (not to be confused with Earth X) and it makes House of M look like a human vacation destination. Alex Summers and Janet Van Dyne are two survivors of the destruction of Earth and some of the only resistance to the newly formed X-Force: an enforcement group tasked with destroying threats to the new mutant order. It includes some familiar faces, one of which is fairly surprising, but Remender does an incredibly economic job of establishing this new, terrifying world and why certain people would work this fervently to make Apocalypse’s dream a reality, even while doing horrific things. It really is incredible how quickly the world and its character’s voices come into sharp relief considering how alien it all seems, and it’s a credit that all the characters still sound exactly as they should.

Daniel Acuña is back on art, and when I say “art,” that’s what I mean: pencils, lines, colors, all Acuña and all look fantastic. I’ve previously, on this title, praised his ability to merge the look and tone of both fantasy and sci-fi stories, something that has often been demanded of him on this title, and while this issue in particular skews far, far more in the sci-fi direction, the visuals are murky, but never confusing, and lend the world the kind of beauty that juxtaposes the horror wonderfully.

The Bad

I know a lot of X-Men were feeling particularly put-upon and the shock of losing their entire planet likely didn’t help things, but it’s asking a lot to have us believe that Beast was the ONLY mutant, besides Havok, who question Eimin’s notion that humanity deserved complete obliteration. Cyclops was going down a dark, angry path, but he was far from advocating this kind of thing. He doesn’t actually appear in the issue, but there’s a passing reference to it and that rang a bit hollow without more details.

The Verdict

This is an incredible start to what will, no doubt, be a very strange arc. There’s a goal they’re working toward that will, of course, undo the horrific events of last issue, but it was something that was planned and telegraphed last issue, so it doesn’t feel like the author is pulling a solution out of the ether for the sake of having a shocking finale that only gets undone later. Everything feels like it fits together and this has been the story that was going to get told from its introduction in issue #6.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Is Remender telling stories he never got around to with X-Force?

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

@jonny_anonymous: Pretty much everything he does at Marvel has to connect to UXF

Vulshock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CheeseSticks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First time i'm on the villain side and I totally hate the heroes. Havok saving the earth from Magneto, Cyclops and Apocalypse Twins? LOL. Magneto speech about Havok betraying his kind was so true.

Glory to Planet X!!!

CheeseSticks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And Beast being the only hero, aside from Havok, able to save human from Planet X is so hilarious.

Man, is Remender a troll against the Mutant.

MannEffest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 6

GAHHH I loved Issue #17 so much! I'm just looking forward to see what Remender has in store for this title. And this five star rating is really helping looking at the bright side!

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uncanny Avengers is officially my favorite ongoing series.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Wolverine008

Did someone die again?

Kerrigan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Good, exciting issue. But the alternate timeline thing was starting to feel overused and threadbare even before this (I mean in all of Marvel, not just UA). There are other stories, guys.

Avatar image for cosmicallyaware1
    cosmicallyaware1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

Uncanny Avengers is officially my favorite ongoing series.

second that.

caladbolglight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

It's obvious that this is all going to be fixed with time travel, as Havok has popped up (still as a member of the Avengers) in All-New X-Factor and Rogue recently showed up in the pages of Avengers A.I.. Be that as it may, I think that this story has gotten a little too ambitious. I may be the only one, but all of these crazy cosmic stories involving time travel and exploding dimensions have gotten a little ridiculous. I know it's all fictitious but it just seems as if they can write the same quality story and make it a little more down to earth.

CheeseSticks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's obvious that this is all going to be fixed with time travel, as Havok has popped up (still as a member of the Avengers) in All-New X-Factor and Rogue recently showed up in the pages of Avengers A.I.. Be that as it may, I think that this story has gotten a little too ambitious. I may be the only one, but all of these crazy cosmic stories involving time travel and exploding dimensions have gotten a little ridiculous. I know it's all fictitious but it just seems as if they can write the same quality story and make it a little more down to earth.

Havok in X-Factor and Rogue in Avengers AI were before the current Uncanny Avengers. It was specified in the book they appeared (Factor and AI)

Avatar image for thefirstlantern
    TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

So I am guessing it wasn't a good jumping on point.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Continuity aside, another great issue. But I'm Remender will have them go back in time to stop this from happening, they've already alluded to it.

Avatar image for FeedOnATreeFrog
    feedonatreefrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So is this supposed to be a jumping on point?

The Mast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 2

This is basically to Avengers books what Astonishing X-Men was to X-Men books.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Wow, Planet X, Magneto, a mutant utopia?

Thrilling new concepts here people.

OmgOmgWtfWtf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't wait til Kang does something. You know its good, when he shows up :)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.