undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

It is absolutely staggering how much content Rick Remender has crammed into this issue without making the issue seem overstuffed or directionless. The Uncanny Avengers, after learning Wolverine sanctioned not only the use of lethal force, but lethal force against a child (who, granted, would be the next Apocalypse) have split down the middle of those who think Wolverine’s actions were justified and those who think he shouldn’t even be on the team anymore. Both groups have decided to investigate the goings on of the Apocalypse Twins, and both go about them differently, but they both meet with the same result: catastrophe. Remender has created an interesting and very realistic internal conflict within a team that already has plenty to go around, but he’s also done something brilliant in forcing characters who would have no other reason to interact to be on a small, tight-knit team together. One of my favorite parts of this issue is seeing Rogue interact with Thor and Havok chatting with Scarlet Witch. These are characters that wouldn’t really have reason to do more than smile politely if they passed in the hall, so the situation is presented almost comically, but it also has a great impact and is self-aware enough to realize how disparate the elements of the team are.

Daniel Acuña is back, handling the art from top to bottom and bringing his vision of the horrific new Horsemen to stark, startling life. This is an issue that doesn’t have much in the way of action, so it’s interesting to see Acuña’s painterly style put to use on a lot of exploration, dialog and calmer scenes. The last few issues have moved at a fairly intense clip, and while things are still not exactly “relaxed” for any of the characters, this issue definitely dials it back and sets up a lot to come in the future.

The Bad

This issue is a little too much setup and not quite enough payoff. Of course set up is necessary, but there needs to be a balance struck and I don’t think this issue nails it quite on the head. It’s got a ton of potential energy, which makes me extremely excited for what’s to come, but I can’t review based on what I haven’t read, so for this one issue, there simply wasn’t enough happening. It’s a lot of meandering, exploring, and introductions (which is odd, because everyone who might be a shock was introduced both last issue and on this issue’s cover, which lessens the impact). I’m not saying the issue doesn’t have enough action, it’s just that the action doesn’t seem consequential in the moment and only serves to set up whatever happens next. As part of a tapestry, it’s great, but as a singular entity, it’s a bit lacking.

The Verdict

Even a lot of meandering can’t eclipse what is a great read and some amazing characterizations. Remender expertly juggles each and every character, ensuring that most, if not all, have at least a few moments in the spotlight, which makes this an easy book to recommend as there’s almost certainly someone in here you’ll wind up liking. Sunfire, especially, is having a renaissance over the last couple of issues, and that continues well into this one. He’s a surprising and integral part of the team who joined a little late, but feels like he’s always been there, and the same with Wonder Man, whose new pacifism makes him an odd addition to a team that is definitely willing to punch its way through problems. I thought that Williams simply coming back after literally trying to take the team apart and just shrugging and apologizing was disingenuous, so it’s nice to see that the character has actually changed and is sticking to his guns on the notion that the Avengers, as they currently are, don’t work. Coupled with Acuña’s superlative art that perfectly captures the unreal horror of what’s going on, this book is still easy to recommend.

Avatar image for sweetesttoaster
    sweetesttoaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The best Avenger book in my opinion.

Avatar image for rideaspacecowboy
    RideASpaceCowboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 98

#2  Edited By RideASpaceCowboy

I dropped this series after issue #2, but being a huge Sentry fan, am considering picking this up again. Can I jump in at this issue, or do I have to buy a few back issues to catch up on the current arc and have the story make sense?

Avatar image for New_World_Order
    New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This book has improved quite a bit since the first arc, but it also has turned into the continuation of Remender's Uncanny X-force, which I loved, with new characters.

Cafeterialoca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 3

Rogue is going to die in issue by issue 13. I called it since the book was announced, and I'm more convinced than ever now.

Avatar image for magnificentstorm
    MagnificentStorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rogue is going to die in issue by issue 13. I called it since the book was announced, and I'm more convinced than ever now.

Why So I would hate for her to die :,(

frozenedge2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By frozenedge2

I definitely enjoyed this issue and the last. Hopefully the two groups will eventually come back together though I still don't know how they'll deal with the new Horseman they're facing, particularly Sentry

henrik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm very happy because of Daken's return.

ThorBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The best avengers book out right now, he'll the best marvel book out as well with Thor and spidey trailing close behind. Loved the character interactions especially cap and wasp! Wolverine acts and talks like the classic wolvy of yesteryear. Remender is a superb writer and acuna does facial expressions like no one else!

sparty-dbq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know what I love most about this book? It's clearly for the hardcore Marvel reader. Screw being new reader friendly, if you want to know what's going on in this book, you gotta know your $#!+. This issue alone makes references to:

Apocalypse Solution, Dark Angel Saga, and Final Execution from Uncanny X-Force

Siege

X-Men: Deadly Genesis

Escape from Dimension Z, the current arc in Captain America

Peter Milligan's Apocalypse arc from X-Men in 2006.

It's like a friggin' Master's course.

kid Apollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sparty_dbq: Uncanny Avengers: where real fans can be found!

Cafeterialoca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@magnificentstorm: There's a death coming in issue 13.

They won't kill Cap, Thor or Wolverine.

Wanda, Havok and Sunfire were seen in the flash forward.

Wasp got a new costume, and Wonder Man went through a lot of trouble to be in this book.

Seriously, it's Rogue.

Killemall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I dropped this series after issue #2, but being a huge Sentry fan, am considering picking this up again. Can I jump in at this issue, or do I have to buy a few back issues to catch up on the current arc and have the story make sense?

Same here ( as in Sentry fan not that i dropped the issues). I think you are better off starting from last comics rather than this one, just make sure you read the re-cap page closely and use the phone to watch the cover recap as well, that should bring you up to speed.

This is a new take on Sentry, dont wanna spoil anything for you, but Sentry was totally over-the-top at least in terms of power.

@rideaspacecowboy: I would say from issue 5 or 6.

You must be very happy, we now have an official confirmation from Sentry own mouth, that the next person to die wont be Thor. And just like, dammit...

New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@killemall: I smell Rogue's death, but yeah I'm happy! ^-^

blazinasian112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sparty_dbq: haha totally agreed....I am loving the series. I was disappointed when Remender's run on Uncanny xforce ended...but his run on Uncanny Avengers has been great!

PrimeDirective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rogue better not die... Seriously. She's one of the most fun characters in this book right now. I'm loving her as an Avenger!

Avatar image for baberaham_lincoln
    Baberaham_Lincoln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sweetesttoaster: In my opinion, that's not an opinion... it's a FACT! :D.... buuuttt then there's the New Avengers which imo is equally good.

broo1232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 180

User Lists: 45

Remender's just about my favorite writer, but I wish he'd stop killing off characters so much I mean I hope he doesn't kill Rogue or Scarlet Witch as in Uncanny X-force he killed 2 of the main cast, and a ton of villains died I mean it was good really emotional (Daken), but Killing Ian in Captain America when he'd only been around for about 8 issues, there was so much potential with him. What I'm trying to say is Remender relies to much on killing characters to create an emotional impact, also he said in an interview that if he could do anything with any characters he would just kill them.

Gritterr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rogue + Thor 4eva

Avatar image for thedevilhunter89
    thedevilhunter89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sentry's Back!

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Good issue. My favorite thing about this series? I actually give a damn about Wonder Man for a change. Really love his new pacifist stance. I like that Remender touched on Cap and Dimension Z in this issue.

Baberaham_Lincoln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cafeterialoca: i hope wasp dies... her over Rogue's death any day =D. annnnd please don't let wonder man die

zr0c00l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Please let wasp be the one that dies im really disliking her in this book and im hoping its intentionally written for her to be disliked so that fans wont care as much when it happens but thats not usually the case as shock value sells books but wasp or wanda.....that bitch has got it coming for m day.

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#27  Edited By papad1992

New Horsemen... eh! What happened to the old Horsemen from Uncanny X-Force? Pestilence got impregnated with Archangel's "seed" and Dark Beast took her away stating that she is carrying the heir of apocalypse!

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

I expected more from this issue but I like the set-up.Next issue should be pretty interesting for us to see.

New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By New_World_Order

Sentry should have no reason to kill Thor anyways. He killed Loki, Ares, Asgardians, Asgard and Thor still didn't kill him until Sentry himself told him too. The Sentry was pretty much man-handling Thor this issue. Thor with both hands couldn't break Sentry's one grip. Although it's to hear he wants Thor for future plans, while the other Avengers are meant to die.

Lokheit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@papad1992: The Twins are hers and Archangel children, they came just when Genocide was trying to claim the Apocalypse mantle (supported by the old cast of horsemen) and killed the celestial, declaring themselves the true apocalypse.

I'm loving this series. I hesitated during the first story arc, but Remender has been Remender now during a really consistent run of issues and he's simply great!

I love how he is tying together everything that has happened in the past, in his own stories and others like the Sentry (and still have to see if there is interaction with Rogue given what she said in the funeral).

@cafeterialoca: I hope Rogue doesn't die. When I read that claim of Sentry killing someone, I though it would be a "fake" death, someone that would return in the next issue.

The points you give make sense, and given her past relationship with Sentry, and how she's starting to flirt with Thor and Thor has been honorable with her as an avenger, Sentry could kill her in front of Thor as it would be meaningful for all of them, and will be a hard hit for Cap's side despising her and now she being dead without them being able to apology.

On the other hand, Rogue is and important character for other books like WatXM (not that much in this one lately) and the new all female X-Men.

I really hope this is a 1 issue lasting death.

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@lokheit said:

@papad1992: The Twins are hers and Archangel children, they came just when Genocide was trying to claim the Apocalypse mantle (supported by the old cast of horsemen) and killed the celestial, declaring themselves the true apocalypse.

I'm loving this series. I hesitated during the first story arc, but Remender has been Remender now during a really consistent run of issues and he's simply great!

I love how he is tying together everything that has happened in the past, in his own stories and others like the Sentry (and still have to see if there is interaction with Rogue given what she said in the funeral).

Thanks for the insight... I picked up the first issue of this series and hated both the plot and art so that's why I haven't followed it at all. I loved Remender's Uncanny X-Force and collected the entire series from beginning to end. But when it was cancelled in favor for this series, I was skeptical and hesitant because of the cast of characters that were apart of the team. I knew Remender would carry his plot developments from his old series to his new series but that first arc scared me off. I'm glad that he furthered the Apocalypse heir plot to this new series, but I can't take this cast of characters seriously! When does this story really begin? I'd like to buy it in trade.

Cafeterialoca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Cafeterialoca
    Cafeterialoca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lokheit: Except Rogue really isn't important in X-Men at all. Like, what's the plot keeping her in that book?

And honestly, screw Death. It's the most overused trick in storytelling now.

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By tigerkaya

@zr0c00l: Bah I say kill off Sunfire and Rogue it's an X-men story so I say kill off an X-member. It's their problem to begin with.

Dayvid3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well rogue does sort of look like death with that awful hood costume she's sporting these days

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 49

I approve: Scarlet Witch's death

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cafeterialoca: What issue has the flash forward you are referring to?

Baberaham_Lincoln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@knighthood: Scarlet Witch can't die, isn't she going to be in Avengers 2?...OHHHHH =O unless they kill her and then resurrect her as a different being, since Avengers 2 can't directly use the mutant name of Wanda for some legal reason between fox and disney. Imagine if they did that... i don't know how to react

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

I've been enjoying this series, and this issue matches the quality so far, so I'm quite happy with it.

Some nice character moments, well written, and Wasps costume looked great.

I'm glad the 3 characters I buy this series for ended up on the same side in the split too.

Cafeterialoca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Killemall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sentry should have no reason to kill Thor anyways. He killed Loki, Ares, Asgardians, Asgard and Thor still didn't kill him until Sentry himself told him too. The Sentry was pretty much man-handling Thor this issue. Thor with both hands couldn't break Sentry's one grip. Although it's to hear he wants Thor for future plans, while the other Avengers are meant to die.

I was more surprised at seeing Sentry speed. We've all seen how truely strong Sentry can be when he is well not having mental issue. The whole issue seem to be Sentry without having mental issue, so him being far more powerful than Thor makes perfect sense.

Even the AR video that recaps Sentry's death goes to calls him "the near omnipotent member of the Avengers" although the video makes it clear Bob wanting to die had very little do with Thor actually killing Bob, but rather Thor managed to strike down Bob before he could turn fully back into Void.

Ok back to speed, we have never really seen much to suggest Sentry was even light speeder, although one particular issue where he goes crying to the sun in what looked likes minutes would say yeah FTL. Noboby every imagined Sentry would be this fast, travelling lightyears in moment, warping space and time, having atom fling around at FTL speed simply becaue of his velocity, and having Thor who himself can fly multiple times FTL in trouble because of sheer speed alone, thats pretty drastic increase in Sentry speed.

But Remember would tell you, we are to expect a epic confrontation with Thor next issue, i am just curious.

As per Sentry, he should really have no reason to kill anyone, the only reason he asked to be killed was because he was ashamed by what he or rather the Void persona had done. He asked to be killed, he begged to be killed.

New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@enzeru: So the Sentry is powerful enough to overpower the Death Seeds power, and influence?

Killemall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@enzeru said:

The Void was not the cause of Sentry's mental issues. He was just a side effect.
    We know that Remender still views the Sentry as someone, who suffers from a mental illness, so we can assume that Sentry's self inflicted limitations are still there. But it's just that he did get a power upgrade from the Death Seed and the question is how big of a power upgrade it was.

My point was a bit different.

One reason Sentry was always crazy was because he knew the existence of the Void. A plot often used to downplay Sentry, like what Skrulls did and all.

Now knowing there is no Void, its hard to see how Sentry will be mentally unstable, although he seem to now think he is the new Apocalypse, when he actually have a kid apocalypse running around :p, brought into marvel universe by Remender himself in the very last series he wrote :p.

In short, the f*ck is happening there :p

What's more interesting is that the narration for Wolverine (IMPORTANT: narration, and not Wolverine's thoughts - the narrator is neutral and sets the rules) says that Sentry is the most powerful being he ever met.
    And Wolverine met Dark Phoenix, Onslaught, Thanos and others :-|

If you wanna take that literally, Wolverine has met Thanos with IG, and Eternity in Infinity Gauntlet saga. :p

But no further comments, even my fanboyism wont let me believe Sentry is beyond "that" level, :p

Well, he did travel few times to the sun in a matter of panels, which is often the indicator for light speed. We also had the Earth >> Saturn instance, which is even a better speed showing, but lightyears?
    He didn't simply travel lightyears ... he traveled many lightyears in a timespan, where Wolverine fell to the ground and got eaten by a giant worm. That's ridiculous speed. How many times faster than light do you have to be to pull off something like that.

When i read that, my face was like... like. this

No Caption Provided

Followed by

No Caption Provided

After issue #10 I'm really curious to see how Thor can fight against someone like that. Thor wasn't able to break free from Sentry's grip, even though Sentry was holding him with just one hand and then there was the punch, that was felt around the entire world. I'm really curious.

I really hope we see Thor trying everything in his power and get stomped :p

What can i say.

I am a Sentry fanboy.

Sue me.

Killemall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@enzeru said:

The IG was a power upgrade. The narration was talking about beings =P That narration would imply that Sentry is the more powerful being than Thanos, ay ay ay :-X

Sentry being more powerful than Thanos actually makes more sense, although Wolverine met Eternity though, more powerful than him not so much :p

W00t?

I was shocked and laughing with joy when i read Uncanny Avengers # 10 with Sentry speed thats what i mean

There won't be an "epic re-match" if he gets stomped D:
    If Thor can keep up with such an opponent, without getting a power upgrade himself, then Remender really likes Thor.
    Also, I edit'ed my post like one million times. Do me a favour, revisit it and answer the additional questions, if you can.

Its still an epic re-match where Thor tries everything and nothing works :p well at least in my mind.

Also yeah Remender likes Thor, he outright stated in a thread where he takes Q and A from people, in regards to Uncanny Avengers way before Sentry was going to be in it, and there were people who asked who do you think is the most powerful hero on Earth.

Remender was like Thor. People even asked do you think him more powerful than Silver Surfer and he said yes. So yeah he really really like Thor.

Sort of make sense because earlier in Uncanny Avengers # 4, Wanda tapped into the power of Dark Hold, became pure Chaos, slowed down time, and even with amp like that this is what Remender had to say.

No Caption Provided

And lastly not a huge X-men fan so i dont know, havent read enough about Apocalypse, apart from Remenders own run of Uncanny X Force and not sure what he is going to do about the real apocalypse being on Earth and not wanting to be , well Apocalypse.

No Caption Provided

And apocalypse idea was survival of the fittest, which he believe will actually help people in the long run because only those who deserve to survive will survive.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.